Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU77 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:56 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:34 pm Watching the tape delay on ESPNU ...
How do you get Quint to simply SHUT UP...!!!
mute.jpg
Yeah. Guess that’s better than disappearing his body in the swampland near the meadowlands which was going to be my suggestion.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:34 pm Watching the tape delay on ESPNU ...
How do you get Quint to simply SHUT UP...!!!
Pair em with Carc and you get less Quint but then are faced with the dilemma of wanting them both to shut up.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:42 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:17 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm I would much rather have Collison initiating than Grimes
It looked like they moved Grimes to attack in the fourth, which was his HS position, and ran Melendez (who has a cannon) out of the midfield presumably to get a better match up.
Grimes was a HS superstar and has a good shot.
They need to find a way to utilize his strengths.
I just want the coaches to help the kid access the potential. He’s a junior now and while injuries have played a role he should be dominating.
And how should the coaches do that? This is the third different offense he's been in. In two games so far, he's played up top and on the wing. He's initiated, carried, and played off ball. He's done fine, getting a couple of points a game. I give him a lot of credit for fighting through injuries to contribute to the offense. To expect him to "dominate" doesn't seem to be based on a realistic assessment of his game at this point.
Hey maybe this is his ceiling and if it is it’s “fine” as a secondary contributor. Just not the billing or what you expect seeing him get off the bus.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:36 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:15 pm Disagree. While many on this board celebrate the return of Crawley to replace Grant Jr and his inept O which is absolutely warranted there was a coach or coaches on staff who thought the team was better with Marcille on the Bench and it’s PM or JK or both.
Maybe they were better? It wouldn't be the first time a goalie largely struggled but then figured it out later on in his career. Eric Schneider comes to mind. Marcille did have opportunities — prior to this season he had played in 7 games with 4 starts — but wasn't any more consistent than the other guy. In fact their stats were nearly identical. And that's without knowing what was going on at practice, as you said. He helped get us to the B1G title game vs. Maryland in 2021 but then laid an absolute egg in a game we might have won with even a below-average goalie performance. He's getting another opportunity now and he's killing it.

Anyway not sure why we need to relitigate this and can't just enjoy the solid play. The last two performances have earned him a long leash.

BTW, I hope by now people understand how profoundly stupid Sag A's "we are underdogs in every game" preseason analysis was. How's that holding up?
The Schneider comparison is fair. But as you said he’s a kid that played in the B1G title game and then was stapled to the bench last year. I don’t believe he suddenly figured it out.

Did he have some opportunity sure but I will always believe had he been given the leash Kirson was the Jays would have won more games.
Finster

Post by Finster »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm I would much rather have Collison initiating than Grimes
It looked like they moved Grimes to attack in the fourth, which was his HS position, and ran Melendez (who has a cannon) out of the midfield presumably to get a better match up.
I just want the coaches to help the kid access the potential. He’s a junior now and while injuries have played a role he should be dominating.

I just finished watching the Gtown/JHU game on ESPNu.

Grimes seems similar to Wisnauskas, similar size, noticably faster on his feet, but same rocket lefty shot. Seems they both have a great feel for field awareness and teammate skill sets. But the left handed shot is what stands out to the outside observer.

If I were the Hop coaching staff, if there is a way to utilize him to take advantage of his shot, that seems to be the solution.
Finster

Post by Finster »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:03 pm No comparison between Solomon and Peshko.

I just watched the Gtown Hop game on ESPNu. Very entertaining tbh. Syracuse fan here.

Hopkins really wanted that game. The effort on GB's and out of bound foot races were the difference IMO. Both goalies played well. Both FOGO's played well. The passing was good.

I really like Hopkins defense. Very aggressive; no fear.

On offense, Peshko finds where to be, often. Smart player. Your freshman, #16, will be All-American, no doubt. Stud.

If there is any difference this year versus others for HOP, it might be that you finally have a fast player on offense, Melendez, who clearly wants the ball and doesn't turn it over. If you could found fault with HOP the last few years, it seemed there was no one on the team with that foot speed who also wanted the ball.

HOP will be a tough out for any team this year. The Baltimore teams (Loyola, HOP, Towson, and MD) might beat up each other a tad...I'm not sure there's much daylight among them early in the season; as a season progresses, I'd expect MD and maybe HOP to distance themselves, but early on, there is no easy call as to who will beat who.

Good luck.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Grimes seems similar to Wisnauskas, similar size, noticably faster on his feet, but same rocket lefty shot. Seems they both have a great feel for field awareness and teammate skill sets. But the left handed shot is what stands out to the outside observer.

If I were the Hop coaching staff, if there is a way to utilize him to take advantage of his shot, that seems to be the solution.
Not a bad analogy at all,

hope he develops in that direction.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:50 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:32 pm

Not a bad analogy at all,

hope he develops in that direction.
It would be nice. I don't think I've seen a player develop as dramatically as Wisnauskas. He was really a complete offensive player by the end of his career, a threat off the dodge, as a feeder, distributing, shooting. His off ball ability/ sense was always terrific. Would be happy to be proven wrong but I think he was a unique and extraordinary case.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:39 pm The Baltimore teams (Loyola, HOP, Towson, and MD) might beat up each other a tad...I'm not sure there's much daylight among them early in the season; as a season progresses, I'd expect MD and maybe HOP to distance themselves, but early on, there is no easy call as to who will beat who.
The fact that this was posted roughly 24 hours after Loyola nearly doubled up the Terps is gold, pure gold!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

smoova wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:20 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:39 pm The Baltimore teams (Loyola, HOP, Towson, and MD) might beat up each other a tad...I'm not sure there's much daylight among them early in the season; as a season progresses, I'd expect MD and maybe HOP to distance themselves, but early on, there is no easy call as to who will beat who.
The fact that this was posted roughly 24 hours after Loyola nearly doubled up the Terps is gold, pure gold!
The point being all 4 teams have a lot of talent,
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:26 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
2017 doesn’t seem that long ago.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:34 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Great year,
a national title and two final four teams.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:14 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Great year,
a national title and two final four teams.
Loyola made the playoffs that year as well. Lost early to someone probably OSU.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
It doesn't until you remember that 2017 is when Tucker Dordevic graduated from HS!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

primitiveskills wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:40 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
It doesn't until you remember that 2017 is when Tucker Dordevic graduated from HS!
Why don't we all relax a little bit. The 2023 version of the Jays is getting the job done. Wait for it.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Who is criticizing Tucker Dordevic? Funny how Hopkins wins 1 game at home, down 3 goals late in the game, and fans are so drunk on life to criticize teams that have dominated them for a decade as well as great individual players who have nothing to do with them...cool!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

get it to x wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:52 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Why don't we all relax a little bit. The 2023 version of the Jays is getting the job done. Wait for it.
Just a couple of days until a big game against North Carolina.

Blue Jays will need to dig deep to win that one. Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

So I have been watching this team since I was a 4th grader. This has the feel of one of those Hopkins teams.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:11 pm
yes, even the Tigers.
Its been a while.
Who is criticizing Tucker Dordevic? Funny how Hopkins wins 1 game at home, down 3 goals late in the game, and fans are so drunk on life to criticize teams that have dominated them for a decade as well as great individual players who have nothing to do with them...cool!
What are you talking about? What Hopkins fan is “criticizing teams that have dominated them for a decade”? What a weird post. I can only assume you mistakenly think smoova is a Hopkins fan because that's the only way this post makes any sense. Parachuted in with a victim complex.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Straight dopes parachute in to threads unrelated to their own focus, so they must (must!!) overlay harebrained interpretations of convos they were never part of. That isn’t gold or even pure gold, it’s a standard reactionary pig-ignorance.

10Stone replied much nicer than I would, Chief.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”