Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
masondixonlax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by masondixonlax »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:25 am Who are the better players on the bench?
He’s not going to tell you. In the span of one post he’s already moved the goalposts from “there are better players” to “give someone else a shot.” I guess if you’re not the #4 player in the class then you’re a non-factor who should be on the bench. There’s nothing in between. Big brain stuff.
Moral of the story: take what Ty Xanders says with a grain of salt. He knows his stuff but naturally he has some MIAA bias since he went to St. Paul's.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:43 am
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:25 am Who are the better players on the bench?
He’s not going to tell you. In the span of one post he’s already moved the goalposts from “there are better players” to “give someone else a shot.” I guess if you’re not the #4 player in the class then you’re a non-factor who should be on the bench. There’s nothing in between. Big brain stuff.
I like Grimes, but always thought he was a round peg trying to fit into PM’s square system.

He has put the work in and I think Grimes will have a productive season. Along with Collison and Melendez, Grimes gives the Blue Jays some outside shooting that could potentially open things up inside for other shooters.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:16 am That’s huge look at Gtown they put so much on Tucker and the offense seemed out of sorts at time.
I don't think the staff put too much on Dordevic, that's just who he is as a player. Dordevic is a great individual talent, but it's not a one-on-one game and he doesn't make a team better. 11 goals yesterday, 7 unassisted. Where were McDermott and Haley yesterday? Those are two very good players and they were both basically invisible. Recognize that this is the Hop thread, but the Hoyas (minus their OC from last year, who I expect they will miss), better figure out how to share the ball going forward.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Good to see Tim Marcille wearing a banana around his neck during a victory interview after the game!

https://mobile.twitter.com/jhumenslacro ... jO34stAAAA

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Dordevic last year filled the role Pat March and GG wanted him to fill. GTs first game with a new OC and many new players was going to have issues as they try to sort things out.

Cuse, Duke and others have been praised for development over a season after losing early. It is possible GT will fall into the same category.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:59 pm Dordevic last year filled the role Pat March and GG wanted him to fill. GTs first game with a new OC and many new players was going to have issues as they try to sort things out.

Cuse, Duke and others have been praised for development over a season after losing early. It is possible GT will fall into the same category.
the dolphins and hoya narratives coming in were that they were primed and ready to rock. they were beaten. February games count too.

you watch last years georgetown film and these were fogos running to score unmolested, defensive breakdowns. You watch yesterdays games its hoyas having to beat their man with the hop defender still in his face.

We're going into game 3 and carson brown, kaufman, and whomever the third ssdm behind jaronski and martin is have yet to really make anyone's radar for anything bad-a positive.

there was a graphic in the game showing the career numbers for the georgetown transfers. I think all 4 of them had better individual career numbers coming in than peshko/grimes/and another jr midfielder had combined in their careers.

phillips collison and chauvette have been active. evans and mcdermott whenever they come back are going to have work to do.

quint's next game for Hopkins he needs to show the film on why marcille, the defense and offense are improved. break out the telestrator grasshopper,
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Defense was already strong last year. Improvement has come from largely individual performances I’d say, they’ve been fundamentally very good under Koesterer but Smith continues to become an elite guy and Mazzone was a big add. Can’t win matchups 1-on-1 against them and their resistance to ill timed slides and funneling dodgers into poor angle shots or recycling passes into areas where shorties can pressure ball carriers gets amplified more

Quint probably could add good insight into Marcille 2023 v 2021

Offensively it comes down to same thing he mentions a lot, winning matchups. Melendez made an impact. He one got them a few individual goals they’ve been lacking. Angelus as well helped get the defense reacting and allowed Hopkins to be proactive with ball movement and making their ball rotations and that’s what creates the easy looks and slam dunks you saw in the 4Q that they didn’t have the last few years. Once you make the defense respect you and have to react to a few of your pieces, it opens everything else up. They haven’t had that since Epstein freshmen year
DMac

Post by DMac »

OCanada wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 12:59 pm Dordevic last year filled the role Pat March and GG wanted him to fill.
Not so sure of that, appears as if nothing has changed in his game at Gtown.
Game going on now, Cuse 13 goals, 11 assisted. That doesn't happen with TD
on your team.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Different team compositions. The other assumption is Pat and GG were not happy with the role he was playing but let him do it anyway. I think by now if there were a problem it would have gotten out by now.
DMac

Post by DMac »

That is exactly what I think was the case. Gary was stuck with a big load of crap and let it play out, wasn't much he could do about it. It appears evident to me in that this year's Cuse team plays a completely different game, the ball doesn't die in one person's stick it just keeps moving.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:32 pm there was a graphic in the game showing the career numbers for the georgetown transfers. I think all 4 of them had better individual career numbers coming in than peshko/grimes/and another jr midfielder had combined in their careers.
Wait you’re telling me that 5th year graduate students who have played attack most of their careers have more points than junior midfielders? Great observation!

Even if your premise wasn’t fallacious, would you rather have Solomon over Peshko right now? I sure wouldn’t.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Different team compositions. The GG and PT march i have seen are very competitive amd i con’t see them as laying back and riding it out. My impression is they will do the best they can to put the team in the best position to win

But off topic for the thread so have to stop
molo

Post by molo »

No comparison between Solomon and Peshko.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:21 am random thoughts on the big win:

- As fans on this board we never appear satisfied - I see no benefit to speculating or commenting on why Marcille didn't play last year. I am just pleased he is playing well now.
Disagree. While many on this board celebrate the return of Crawley to replace Grant Jr and his inept O which is absolutely warranted there was a coach or coaches on staff who thought the team was better with Marcille on the Bench and it’s PM or JK or both. I’d rather not see a replay of those coaching decisions. It cost this program wins. While we aren’t at practice it certainly seemed obvious there were better options in the cage than they went with.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm I would much rather have Collison initiating than Grimes
It looked like they moved Grimes to attack in the fourth, which was his HS position, and ran Melendez (who has a cannon) out of the midfield presumably to get a better match up.
Grimes was a HS superstar and has a good shot.
They need to find a way to utilize his strengths.
I just want the coaches to help the kid access the potential. He’s a junior now and while injuries have played a role he should be dominating.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:15 pm Disagree. While many on this board celebrate the return of Crawley to replace Grant Jr and his inept O which is absolutely warranted there was a coach or coaches on staff who thought the team was better with Marcille on the Bench and it’s PM or JK or both.
Maybe they were better? It wouldn't be the first time a goalie largely struggled but then figured it out later on in his career. Eric Schneider comes to mind. Marcille did have opportunities — prior to this season he had played in 7 games with 4 starts — but wasn't any more consistent than the other guy. In fact their stats were nearly identical. And that's without knowing what was going on at practice, as you said. He helped get us to the B1G title game vs. Maryland in 2021 but then laid an absolute egg in a game we might have won with even a below-average goalie performance. He's getting another opportunity now and he's killing it.

Anyway not sure why we need to relitigate this and can't just enjoy the solid play. The last two performances have earned him a long leash.

BTW, I hope by now people understand how profoundly stupid Sag A's "we are underdogs in every game" preseason analysis was. How's that holding up?
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

Watching the tape delay on ESPNU ...
How do you get Quint to simply SHUT UP...!!!
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3uM0jpe7rI

Sequence starting at 8:30. You can hear Degnon yell "Ange, you got me, Angel!". Perfect pass.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:17 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:22 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:47 pm I would much rather have Collison initiating than Grimes
It looked like they moved Grimes to attack in the fourth, which was his HS position, and ran Melendez (who has a cannon) out of the midfield presumably to get a better match up.
Grimes was a HS superstar and has a good shot.
They need to find a way to utilize his strengths.
I just want the coaches to help the kid access the potential. He’s a junior now and while injuries have played a role he should be dominating.
And how should the coaches do that? This is the third different offense he's been in. In two games so far, he's played up top and on the wing. He's initiated, carried, and played off ball. He's done fine, getting a couple of points a game. I give him a lot of credit for fighting through injuries to contribute to the offense. To expect him to "dominate" doesn't seem to be based on a realistic assessment of his game at this point.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:34 pm Watching the tape delay on ESPNU ...
How do you get Quint to simply SHUT UP...!!!
mute.jpg
mute.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 408 times

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”