Big Ten 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hawkeye

Re: Big Ten 2019

Post by Hawkeye »

AreaLax wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:51 pm Big Ten Lacrosse Tie-Breakers
C. Each team’s Conference goal differential against tied teams (maximum of seven goals per game).

D. Each team’s Conference “goals for” against tied teams (maximum of seven goals per game).

E. Each team’s Conference “goals against” against tied teams (maximum of seven goals per game).

F. The highest overall RPI ranking amongst tied teams.

Note: Follow the appropriate steps in order. In the case of ties among three or more schools, the criteria will be used in order until a team or teams is separated from the pack. At that point, the process will begin anew to break the “new” tie. In other words, when a four-way tie becomes a three-way tie, the three-way tie is treated as a “new” tie and the process begins with the first tie-breaking criterion.
Hopkins would be out in this tiebreaker then. Rutgers would be the 3 seed, and then Hopkins would lose the head-to-head to Ohio State (who would be the 4).

Rutgers: +7*, -2 = +5
Hopkins: +2, -1 = +1
Ohio State: -7*, +1 = -6
^ Rutgers is the #3 seed

Ohio State > Johns Hopkins (head-to-head) to earn the #4 seed.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

So...if things play out according to Hop16's scenario:

We'd be down to C...

OSU is minus 6
JHU is plus 1
Rutgers is plus 5.

So OSU is out, RU would be the 3rd seed, and JHU the 4th seed.

Am I applying all of this correctly?
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm So OSU is out, RU would be the 3rd seed, and JHU the 4th seed.

Pretty sure the #4 seed will reset to head-to-head between the remaining two teams per the note at the bottom.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Hawkeye wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:03 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm So...if things play out according to Hop16's scenario:

We'd be down to C...

OSU is minus 6
JHU is plus 1
Rutgers is plus 5.

Pretty sure the #4 seed will reset to head-to-head between the remaining two teams per the note at the bottom.
Gotcha. Thanks!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:02 pm So...if things play out according to Hop16's scenario:

We'd be down to C...

OSU is minus 6
JHU is plus 1
Rutgers is plus 5.

It seems like after Rutgers separates itself from the three-way via the best goal differential, then they start the process from the beginning with just Ohio State and Hopkins—and obviously OSU wins that tiebreaker based on head to head. Would be a bad break for the Jays but can't say that's not what they'd deserve.

For me that makes things better, in a way. Now they know they have to win one of the next two games. It's a lot more simple. Just win.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Lost in all of this tiebreaker talk is that Maryland/Rutgers tonight probably decides the 2 and 3 seeds in the conference

If RU>UMCP (and everything else plays out like it seems it should...):
1. PSU 5-0
2. RU 3-2
3. UMCP 3-2
4. tOSU 2-3
--
5. JHU 2-3
6. UM 0-5
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Maryland comesback to win 16-13.

It's nice of you all to be awarding UMd a win over OSU, but the game is at OSU and OSU beat UMd last year. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm last year. :idea:
Hopkins won the Big Ten last year. You're telling me there's a chance?
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Hawkeye wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:02 pm
Cooter wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:16 pm last year. :idea:
Hopkins won the Big Ten last year. You're telling me there's a chance?
OSU tends to look like a stronger team this year than last. :idea:
Live Free or Die!
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Another year Rutgers is sitting home in May? PSU, don’t see a win. They have given 45 goals in the last 3 weeks.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

No team has yet to officially clinch a berth into the 2019 Big Ten Tournament, as it is still possible for there to be a 5-way tie at 3-2.

Results needed for this to happen are extremely unlikely, but here they are.

Week 12:
JHU>PSU
tOSU>UMCP
RU>UM

Week 13:
RU>PSU
UMCP>JHU
tOSU>UM
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:40 am Another year Rutgers is sitting home in May? PSU, don’t see a win. They have given 45 goals in the last 3 weeks.
Good news for Rutgers is that if they make the conference tournament, they'll get to play at home, where they've historically been much tougher to beat.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

The big pennants hanging from the rafters above the indoor swimming pool of the State College, PA Ramada Inn include all Big 10 schools, but no Johns Hopkins pennant. Ah well, I'll be leaving earlier than originally planned and missing the PSU-JHU game (well, watching it on TV instead of in-person); marriage involves compromises. Penn State and Maryland look like shoo-ins for the NCAAs, but after that, bubble teams... If only Hop had held on against tOSU, if only. Maryland certainly knows how to play in the 4th quarter and Penn State is seriously good; anyone else might have to grab the AQ, although Hop, oh Hop....
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

The Big games this weekend:

4/20 Saturday Maryland at OSU, 1pm BTN
4/20 Saturday Michigan at Rutgers, 3pm BTNtogo
4/21 Sunday Johns Hopkins at Penn State Noon ESPNU

In some ways, I like Maryland's offense to carry the day, but in other ways OSU has always played Maryland tough. OSU beat UMd last year in College Park, when OSU was having a down year. Maryland's defense has not been as strong as in the past while OSU's offense is playing better this year. I think face-offs could be key, if one team can win 60%+, it could be the difference.

Michigan hasn't done well against Rutgers in the past. It has often been a big game for Kieran Mullins.

It's hard to see Hopkins winning at PSU. Hopkins does need it more.
Live Free or Die!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/4/1 ... notes.aspx

B1G Tournament - What We Know
« Entering this week's action, none of the six teams has clinched a spot in the upcoming B1G Tournament and none of the six have been eliminated.
« Before it even plays on Sunday, Penn State clinches a spot in the tournament with a loss by either Ohio State or Rutgers on Saturday. A win Sunday assures the Nittany Lions of a spot and the top seed.
« Maryland clinches a spot with a win.
« Johns Hopkins clinches a spot with a win on Sunday and a loss by either Rutgers or Ohio State on Saturday.
« Rutgers can clinch a spot in the tournament with a win this weekend coupled with a loss by Ohio State and a win by Johns Hopkins.
« Ohio State is eliminated with a loss coupled with wins by Rutgers and Johns Hopkins. The Buckeyes remain alive with a win regardless of the results of the other two games.
« Michigan is eliminated with a loss.

« This week's game will be Johns Hopkins' 16th against the number-one ranked team in the nation under the direction of head coach Dave Pietramala. The Blue Jays are 9-6 in the first 15 of those games.
« Of the 15 games Johns Hopkins has played against a top-ranked team under head coach Dave Pietramala, nine of the 15 have been decided by one goal.
« JHU is 7-2 under Pietramala in one-goal games against a team ranked number one in the nation.
« The last seven times JHU has played the top-ranked team in the nation, the game has been decided by three goals or less.
Doing the Little Things
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm The big pennants hanging from the rafters above the indoor swimming pool of the State College, PA Ramada Inn include all Big 10 schools, but no Johns Hopkins pennant. Ah well, I'll be leaving earlier than originally planned and missing the PSU-JHU game (well, watching it on TV instead of in-person); marriage involves compromises. Penn State and Maryland look like shoo-ins for the NCAAs, but after that, bubble teams... If only Hop had held on against tOSU, if only. Maryland certainly knows how to play in the 4th quarter and Penn State is seriously good; anyone else might have to grab the AQ, although Hop, oh Hop....
I've spoken to the big ten about this and it really comes down to not wanting to include Notre Dame, which is also an affiliate member in b1g and major rival in everything from students to professors to sponsors to donors, in branding in anything beyond hockey.
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

Cooter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am The Big games this weekend:

In some ways, I like Maryland's offense to carry the day, but in other ways OSU has always played Maryland tough. OSU beat UMd last year in College Park, when OSU was having a down year. Maryland's defense has not been as strong as in the past while OSU's offense is playing better this year. I think face-offs could be key, if one team can win 60%+, it could be the difference.

Michigan hasn't done well against Rutgers in the past. It has often been a big game for Kieran Mullins.

4/20 Michigan at Rutgers is on BTN (and probably also BTN2go)
laxfan355

Post by laxfan355 »

laxfan355 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:43 pm
Cooter wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:16 am The Big games this weekend:

4/20 Michigan at Rutgers is on BTN (and probably also BTN2go)
Correction - Cooter is correct that the Michigan at Rutgers game is no longer being televised on BTN.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Terps win 10-9 in overtime.

I guess in my mind, OSU is probably the 3rd best team in the Big. It would seem a little sad if they missed the Big Ten tmt., but they dropped that game badly against Rutgers.
Live Free or Die!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm I guess in my mind, OSU is probably the 3rd best team in the Big.
I think tOSU and Hopkins are very close for 3rd best team this season, with Rutgers not far behind. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick, though, I'd pick the same team as you - Ohio State - as the 3rd best. If Ohio State doesn't mess up and lose to Michigan next week, I think they are NCAA bound.
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”