Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by laxbro11 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:05 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:44 pm Terps looking like 💩
No Loyola out played them even with struggles at the X and with clears. Defense is solid. Ridley is electrifying. Greatest place to watch a game.

I am sold on the young players, Minicus, Haberfield played well on the big stage, Just heard in the stands that Wyers was playing sick. Coaches had the players ready to play.
both can be true.
Give credit where credit is due Loyola came ready to play and Maryland did not know how to handle coming from behind The terps crushed us at face off and Staudt and the defense shut them down

I will give credit to van arsdale who changed the offense to fit the players abilities Loyola was more efficient with the ball Last year the offense was from the Spencer era And we did not have that type of player

Loyola will be the biggest jump in the rankings Duke BU Maryland All losing I am thinking 11-12 thoughts?
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Prior to season I felt that MD was not a top 10 team. Today proved it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Great win for Loyola. Tons of grit and composure. To win with that much of a face-off disparity is really something.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Congrats to Hounds and their fans!
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Credit to Hounds. Been awhile since I’ve seen a team make Maryland look that flummoxed in all facets offensively. They just couldn’t get it going from minute 1. Staudt was tremendous. Offense had more punch than I expected and did what was needed to get the W. Massive improvement from last year; Toomey and that staff rarely stay down for long
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Can you say 10 man ride We will see a lot of it in the next coming weeks
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:17 pm Can you say 10 man ride We will see a lot of it in the next coming weeks
Just go score. They were thinking the pressure would turn off once they found space and it doesn't. Put the ball in the net.
molo

Post by molo »

Ten or eleven? They just beat one or two by five goals. Gotta be higher than that.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

We back up. We back up.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:22 pm Ten or eleven? They just beat one or two by five goals. Gotta be higher than that.
With Gtown going down... I revise 6-7

But Loyola gets no love on Inside lacrosse, they have articles on Hopkins and Jacksonville win.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If Loyola posts the post-game press conference, you'll see Coach Toomey nearly break down a couple of times due the pride he had in his team today. This game meant something to that program, and they played like it.

The Hounds took 10 total shots in the 2nd half. 10. That's it. And canned 7 of them.

Toomey's game plan was perfect, and the players executed every phase of it. They wouldn't let Wierman or Geppert have any transition opportunities. They dared Maryland's attack to beat their poles on dodges, and the Terps couldn't beat them at all. They avoided Makar, Zappitello, and Geppert at the other end and just mashed Maryland's shorties and their 3rd close defender.

Then throw in that any time a Terp did win a match-up, Staudt stoned them. 19 saves, several in tight. Once he started making saves, he clearly got into the Terps' shooters' heads. They started missing the cage by a foot, trying to be too perfect.

I didn't think Loyola had enough depth in both of their midfielders. Well, I was wrong about that. At least for today.

Conversely, the Terps better buckle up. Syracuse will see what Loyola did today and try to improve on it. The Terps have a serious problem at attack. They don't have a dodger who can draw slides.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Congrats to Hounds
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Great win. When you lose 80% of dance-offs to a team like MD you expect to lose by double digits. Hounds defense is excellent. Yes Staudt made some great saves but the Loyola defense forced MD to take bad shots and turn the ball over. Wyers, Hughes, and the rest were beasts.
Offensively the goals they scored were all within ten yards. They got into great position and made some great shots. Freshman Haberman scored with 2 seconds left on a shot clock on a rocket from the side. McNaney may be the best goalie in college but the shots that Loyola got were prime scoring chances. He gave up one bad goal. Other than that he was helpless against Loyolas offense.

FOGO is a real issue. Will have a tough go next week v Hopkins. Need to be better. Can’t wait for next week.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Great win for the Hounds. This first stretch of season will continue to be a real challenge. No sneaking up on grown or Hop. Super impressive win considering the possession deficit. Can’t live like that forever. Let’s hope faceoffs improve. The hounds are always best when they can run. Thought the middie production and depth was fantastic. Sally continues his streak of being a threat in transition. Offensive Depth should only improve if Kamish gets well too.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:55 pm
molo wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:22 pm Ten or eleven? They just beat one or two by five goals. Gotta be higher than that.
With Gtown going down... I revise 6-7

But Loyola gets no love on Inside lacrosse, they have articles on Hopkins and Jacksonville win.
Man give it a sec they put one up five minutes after your post lol

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... land/60681

BTW Terry Foy, the co-founder/editor of IL is a Loyola grad

We've got to deal with UNC first on Tuesday but should be a fun one at Ridley next weekend
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

As a MD fan I was very impressed with Hounds D and goalie. Loyola is a veteran and well coached team and it was not a surprise to me that the Terps lost. It was a surprise how poorly MD shot when they were open and the sloppy passing/ball handling. Not one of Terps SSDM’s have played a game until last week, it will take some time. If Loyola can win some faceoffs, watch out Patriot League.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

What really impressed me about yesterday was Toomey’s willingness to play freshmen. Minicus is a normal starter. With Kamish out with a Hamstring injury Toomey went with Freshman Haberman over more experienced attack guys. Haberman came through with two goals and two huge ground balls. Minicus added two goals. Last year Toomey refused to play freshmen who SHOULD have been playing over guys who didn’t produce. Good coaches learn from their mistakes.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:31 pm What really impressed me about yesterday was Toomey’s willingness to play freshmen. Minicus is a normal starter. With Kamish out with a Hamstring injury Toomey went with Freshman Haberman over more experienced attack guys. Haberman came through with two goals and two huge ground balls. Minicus added two goals. Last year Toomey refused to play freshmen who SHOULD have been playing over guys who didn’t produce. Good coaches learn from their mistakes.
pretty sure toomey and co. played who they thought they should. and did again this weekend. hounds looked good.
Finster

Post by Finster »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:20 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:31 pm What really impressed me about yesterday was Toomey’s willingness to play freshmen. Minicus is a normal starter. With Kamish out with a Hamstring injury Toomey went with Freshman Haberman over more experienced attack guys. Haberman came through with two goals and two huge ground balls. Minicus added two goals. Last year Toomey refused to play freshmen who SHOULD have been playing over guys who didn’t produce. Good coaches learn from their mistakes.
pretty sure toomey and co. played who they thought they should. and did again this weekend. hounds looked good.

wgdsr: I'm afraid you simply don't understand that internet keyboard warriors know far more than any team's coaches who live, breathe, and sleep the team's and individual player's progress in practice, games, and life. Need to get with the program.

:lol:

Congrats to Loyola. Teasm win. Well desrved for Toomey and the players. Loyola will be a brutal team to play this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”