Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

Jacksonville defeats Duke.

Loyola CRUSHES Maryland.

Johns Hopkins defeats GT 13-12 after trailing 8-11 late in the game.

Wow.

What a great weekend to be a Hopkins lacrosse fan.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:13 am
The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:46 pm Friends, it's been a minute since I've been to Homewood and I'm thinking I might be able to make the Tuesday 2/14 game against UNC. Any advice on best parking strategy? Many thanks!
If you want to be right at the field and want to contribute $10 to the cause you should be able to get gameday parking in the Muller Deck garage right by the stadium on San Martin Drive. If not and you're able bodied for a short walk the real pro play is to find free street parking North of campus on University Parkway or one of the side streets. Many often have plenty of space available.
Thanks to those who answered (including via private message). Congratulations to Hop Nation on a huge win!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Melendez,
much better size-wise, much more physical than I had thought.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

Quint should be happy he gets all the comments, even the negative ones, he is relevant.
THAT BEING SAID, he did state during a seasons end broadcast last year that Hopkins was going to take a few steps back before they move forward, so he did paint a rather dark picture that we weren't close to seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Quint quote did feel like a very over exaggerated reaction for what was a really well played, back and forth, exciting game in the 4Q. Agree sometimes best to just leave dogs lie but sort of felt like he was just waiting to get that one in there. Especially considering what followed

Congrats to Jays on a great win. They’ve looked excellent first two weeks, especially at the little things. bodes well long term
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

*whispers* we’re back. 😜
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:12 pm Milliman's system is that much more in-place now. Can't forget that.
Grant Jr. was addition by subtraction.
random observer

Post by random observer »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:37 pm
44WeWantMore wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:19 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:14 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:11 pm I'm going to need Quint to tell me again why Hop can't win the big game.
The Quint hate on this board is insufferable. Even when they were down 4-1, Quint was talking about how he is optimistic about this Blue Jays team. It is perfectly fair for him to point out that Hopkins hasn't won any big games during inarguably the worst stretch in the program's history.
The hate is because we want him to be a homer.
Like Carc. Not our Carc, but their Carc.
He could have been like the beloved Phil Rizzuto.
Then his random observations about lunch spots, etc. would be forgivable.
Especially when we remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXnV9C6GRxE
People don't expect a homer (at least I don't), but Q has thrived on the "Hopkins is in crisis" narrative for years now. Always ready to put in a dig, like on the failed clear that wasn't. Can't win the big game? How many "big games" has Georgetown won.... ever? Why can't they won the big game, expert announcer/ analyst?
Georgetown has won plenty of big games the past several years. Four straight big east titles. Last year they crushed ND in South bend and beat Penn at Franklin Field. The year before they spanked Case in the first round of the NCAA tournament. Compare that to Hopkins the past few years and the disparity is stark. The comment is especially fair given that even in these losing seasons, Hopkins *has* come close to winning the big one; they gave Maryland all they could handle twice right before the NCAA tournament in 2021. In that season in particular they had a bunch of close calls where they lost late by a goal or two. It was a more than fair observation.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I mean, if Hopkins were in the Big East they’d be winning plenty of “big games” too. The difference in competition between Villanova and Denver and Providence and Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State is pretty stark

Georgetown’s def been a much better team the last few years but also they haven’t made it to a F4 yet in this run and Quint ranked them #1 which was quite odd for someone who puts the premium on “winning the big games” he does

It just was such a weird jab for what was such a great game at the time, even if Hopkins lost. They were playing great the whole way. Battling, always had an answer, and offense kept getting sharper as game went along
Last edited by jrn19 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
molo

Post by molo »

Gutsy win, overcoming a couple of three goal deficits. When it was 13-11 with about 5:25 left, I realized my predicted score would probably not hold up though I never doubted that Hopkins would win. Hoyas sealed their fate by letting Hopkins burn an entire shot clock on a possession that started with about 2:30. At one point, 2 and 9 accounted for all of GT’s goals. Their offense was remiscent of SU last year.
When GT loses to Hopkins at Homewood, I don’t call it an upset. It’s the expectation .
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:55 pm Melendez,
much better size-wise, much more physical than I had thought.
Can dodge and has a great outside shot.

Could use a few more like him.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Very clean game for February. Jays 18/19 on clears, only 13 total turnovers.

Dunn battled to 50% at the dot to go along with 2 CTs and an assist and was huge in the 4th quarter. He gets a banana.

Mazzone 5 GBs against his former team. Banana for him too.

50-50 GBs were slightly in Georgetown's favor, but we fought hard there. Hawley came up with one or two big ones late.

I didn't pay much attention to matchups, but they have the reigning Schmeisser winner and yet our starting attack combined for 7 goals and 11 points. Crawley did a great job creating mismatches for Melendez, Degnon, etc.

After taking 10 shots against Jacksonville, Angelus took zero today, but had 4 assists and played a really smart, composed game distributing the ball. Also had 3 GBs and 0 turnovers. I will take that stat line any day of the week.

Raposo is settling in nicely in his new role as an SSDM. 2 CTs today.

Peshko's best game since the 2021 B1G semi-final win over Rutgers.

What a f*cking day.
random observer

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:21 pm I mean, if Hopkins were in the Big East they’d be winning plenty of “big games” too. The difference in competition between Villanova and Denver and Providence and Maryland and Rutgers and Ohio State is pretty stark

Georgetown’s def been a much better team the last few years but also they haven’t made it to a F4 yet in this run and Quint ranked them #1 which was quite odd for someone who puts the premium on “winning the big games” he does

It just was such a weird jab for what was such a great game at the time, even if Hopkins lost. They were playing great the whole way. Battling, always had an answer, and offense kept getting sharper as game went along
Big East tournament finals count as big games. I think it's ridiculous to look at the past 4-5 years and say that OSU and Rutgers are a tier above Denver (or even in the same tier in the case of Rutgers)...heck even last year when the Pios dropped off, they still beat the Buckeyes. Notice how I didn't really mention many of the wins over Villanova as "big wins" except for the one to get an AQ.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Rutgers literally made the Final Four last year. Denver hasn’t won a tournament game in 5 years. I think it’s pretty fair to say Rutgers is better than Denver.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:34 pm Very clean game for February. Jays 18/19 on clears, only 13 total turnovers.

Dunn battled to 50% at the dot to go along with 2 CTs and an assist and was huge in the 4th quarter. He gets a banana.

50-50 GBs were slightly in Georgetown's favor, but we fought hard there. Hawley came up with one or two big ones late.

I didn't pay much attention to matchups, but they have the reigning Schmeisser winner and yet our starting attack combined for 7 goals and 11 points. Crawley did a great job creating mismatches for Melendez, Degnon, etc.

After taking 10 shots against Jacksonville, Angelus took zero today, but had 4 assists and played a really smart, composed game distributing the ball. Also had 3 GBs and 0 turnovers. I will take that stat line any day of the week.

What a f*cking day.
Beyond those good numbers, the Blue Jays passed the eye test today. They looked comparably athletic and skilled compared to GT. Good early sign for Hopkins.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
random observer

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:41 pm Rutgers literally made the Final Four last year. Denver hasn’t won a tournament game in 5 years. I think it’s pretty fair to say Rutgers is better than Denver.
Rutgers is in better shape than Denver *today*, but one year does not make a program; Rutgers was a doormat until two years ago; to equate their program to Denver over the past half decade based just on 2022 seems silly to me; that would be like saying a win over Delaware in 2018 is bigger than a win over Loyola in 2018 because the Blue Hens were better last year and ranked higher going into this season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

random observer wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:52 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:41 pm Rutgers literally made the Final Four last year. Denver hasn’t won a tournament game in 5 years. I think it’s pretty fair to say Rutgers is better than Denver.
Rutgers is in better shape than Denver *today*, but one year does not make a program; Rutgers was a doormat until two years ago; to equate their program to Denver over the past half decade based just on 2022 seems silly to me; that would be like saying a win over Delaware in 2018 is bigger than a win over Loyola in 2018 because the Blue Hens were better last year and ranked higher going into this season.
Theres a ton of yesterday is the only thing that matters going on around these boards lately. Like folks become ten second tom from 50 first dates:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kbY9rGTgQo
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:34 pm Very clean game for February. Jays 18/19 on clears, only 13 total turnovers.

What a f*cking day.
Good stuff. Would throw Carson Brown (who looks like quite the find) on the accolade list as well. Good off the ground, takes great angles, and covers a lot of ground up top. Kept Bundy quiet in the second half.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:02 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:52 pm
Theres a ton of yesterday is the only thing that matters going on around these boards lately. Like folks become ten second tom from 50 first dates:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6kbY9rGTgQo
On the Hopkins thread, the past is never dead. It's not even past.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”