Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by rolldodge »

Maybe it’s a coping mechanism ;) but this loss could be a good thing for Georgetown. It takes more than big names to win games. Better to lose the one goal game to start the season than to end it.

Hats off to Hopkins for playing a smart, disciplined game. Offense was very patient and worked to find the right matchups.

On the other hand, the Georgetown offense looks a long way off from last years well oiled machine. They have the individual players, but clearly still adjusting to new faces and a new offensive coordinator. They need to be better disciplined and find the right matchups. Especially when there are so many strong options. Attack short sticks and move the ball.

Defensively, they did not play terribly, but Hopkins was patient and found the matchups. Faceoffs, Reilly was winning the draw but Gtown was getting beaten on the wings.

On the positive side, a lot of new faces on the field including Aidan Carroll with a goal. Sophomores Haus and Reeves played well at D Mid. And freshman Crogan had a great look that the Hopkins goalies made a great save on.

Congrats to Hopkins on a great win. For the Hoyas, there is a lot to learn and take forward. No rest with Penn coming next.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Haley is one of the best feeders in the country and Ran zero through him at X? Hopkins came back by driving at X and finding finishers. Dordevic and Bundy sniping is great but have to have balance to win down the road. Offense still figuring out roles so it’s understandable but if Haley not involved as season goes on it’s a problem. Road doesn’t get any easier here. It’s big show me time for this squad and I think they will.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

At some point if Haley can’t beat a short stick he can be taken out of the game easily no matter how good a feeder he is. One dimensional players become easier and easier to game plan for. He’s a great passer but the book is out on him and three years in he’s yet to prove that he can force the defense to react to him when matched up against even the opponents worst defender. It’s a weakness I’m afraid
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Haley has been able to quarterback the offense even without being a scoring threat. He was great at initiating the ball movement and making the right pass to get the defense rotating. However, this is a new offense with Hogan. Haley and every middie not named Bundy looked invisible on the field today.

From the beginning of 2022, every offensive player knew their role. This year it’s going to take a bit more time.

This team still has a big big upside from what we saw today.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I totally disagree that Haley is not a threat. Yes he will not take and beat a guy from X to score often. Feeders though are critical to a balanced offense. If you don’t want the ball in his stick because he isn’t a one on one threat I think is misguided. We have plenty of one one one guys. We need more than that to go deep in May
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

You don’t have to take your guy to x and score. But you have to be able to challenge your man to draw a slide. That’s what opens up the rest of the offense for everyone else. Virginia dared Haley to dodge anybody 2 years ago and he couldn’t do it. A feeder who can’t dodge is just as one dimensional as a shooter who can’t pass. If he can’t at least pose the threat to make the defense react and get people out of position and open up passing lanes; the way Hopkins did so effectively in the 4Q…the offense is going to struggle.
random observer

Post by random observer »

I'm with jrn19 on this one. Haley had a great freshman season, but as more expectation and defensive attention has been cast upon him, his deficiencies have become apparent. That's not to say that hero ball is the answer (Dordevic was very good today, but still is prone to holding the ball in his stick too long when he should be moving it along), but I don't think the best version of the Hoyas offense is one that has the ball in Haley's stick most of the time. He can operate as a glue guy to keep the ball moving and take advantage a a confused defense, but teams don't have much reason to be afraid when the ball is in his stick IMO.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Haley was 5 and 49 in 2021. And 11 and 30 in 2022. If he follows that trajectory he gets to 20 goals this year.

The point is that the coaching staff has to find the right role for him. Based on this first game, he’s invisible. If he’s going to be on the field (which I think he should) I’d much rather have him intiating and having Dordevic dodge and take step down shots from the wing.

Currently they have three guys that are used to initiating the offense. I’d like to see Haley as the initiator, getting Minicus and Dordevic into good locations and matchups to dodge off of the rotation.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:55 pm Haley was 5 and 49 in 2021. And 11 and 30 in 2022. If he follows that trajectory he gets to 20 goals this year.

The point is that the coaching staff has to find the right role for him. Based on this first game, he’s invisible. If he’s going to be on the field (which I think he should) I’d much rather have him intiating and having Dordevic dodge and take step down shots from the wing.

Currently they have three guys that are used to initiating the offense. I’d like to see Haley as the initiator, getting Minicus and Dordevic into good locations and matchups to dodge off of the rotation.
Exactly!
BigTom5

Post by BigTom5 »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:55 pm Currently they have three guys that are used to initiating the offense. I’d like to see Haley as the initiator, getting Minicus and Dordevic into good locations and matchups to dodge off of the rotation.
Problem is when Haley initiates, he is not a threat and doesn’t draw a slide, so there is no rotation for Minicus or Dordevic to attack. This scenario you envision is a fairy tale world (unless you’re playing St. John’s ;) )
random observer

Post by random observer »

HGK wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:00 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:55 pm Haley was 5 and 49 in 2021. And 11 and 30 in 2022. If he follows that trajectory he gets to 20 goals this year.

Exactly!
But how exactly is Haley supposed to initiate when he can't get a step on the opposing team's weakest defender? Teams aren't going to slide to a feed first guy who can't beat his man, so I don't see how any offense gets initiated here. If anything, it should be the exact inverse; Minicus and Dordevic (if he can learn to dodge with his head up rather than just to score) should be the initiators who draw slides and move the ball, which could theoretically free up Haley to take advantage of defensive chaos and pick apart a defense with his feeding ability.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

random observer wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:14 pm
HGK wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:00 pm

Exactly!
But how exactly is Haley supposed to initiate when he can't get a step on the opposing team's weakest defender? Teams aren't going to slide to a feed first guy who can't beat his man, so I don't see how any offense gets initiated here. If anything, it should be the exact inverse; Minicus and Dordevic (if he can learn to dodge with his head up rather than just to score) should be the initiators who draw slides and move the ball, which could theoretically free up Haley to take advantage of defensive chaos and pick apart a defense with his feeding ability.
You can also move him inside, where they may attach a ssdm to him...he can then be used to float out or up, set screens/picks, and create big/little switches if they do put a shorty on him.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

BigTom5 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:13 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:55 pm Currently they have three guys that are used to initiating the offense. I’d like to see Haley as the initiator, getting Minicus and Dordevic into good locations and matchups to dodge off of the rotation.
Problem is when Haley initiates, he is not a threat and doesn’t draw a slide, so there is no rotation for Minicus or Dordevic to attack. This scenario you envision is a fairy tale world (unless you’re playing St. John’s ;) )
Ding ding
HGK

Post by HGK »

In fairness how would we know this when he never initiates.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:18 pm
Ding ding

Uhhh. He had 49 and 30 assists in his last two seasons without “being a threat or drawing a slide”. Maybe your conception of an X attackman is too narrow.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm
Ding ding

Uhhh. He had 49 and 30 assists in his last two seasons without “being a threat or drawing a slide”. Maybe your conception of an X attackman is too narrow.
And how far did the Hoyas go in the tournament with him as the X attackmen? Now compare that to the teams who made the Final Four and their X attackmen and you tell me if teams can put a short stick on them and feel comfortable knowing that X attackmen can't beat them off the dodge.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:51 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:47 pm
Ding ding

And how far did the Hoyas go in the tournament with him as the X attackmen? Now compare that to the teams who made the Final Four and their X attackmen and you tell me if teams can put a short stick on them and feel comfortable knowing that X attackmen can't beat them off the dodge.
The Hoyas lacked an attackman that could consistently break down defenses. They have that now with Dordevic and Minicus. That’s a separate question from where or how they should play.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

I do not think the focus on Haley is warranted at this point. The offense is integrating 6-7 guys who are new or got little time last year. In addition there is a new offensive coordinator. Haley and McDermott looked out of sorts and even Bundy was not in any flow. The team needs to gel on both ends.

It was good to see depth on both sides of the field, and this should pay dividends down the road. And let’s give credit to Hopkins which played very well. They smacked Jacksonville on the road and they beat Duke at Duke today.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:27 pm I do not think the focus on Haley is warranted at this point. The offense is integrating 6-7 guys who are new or got little time last year. In addition there is a new offensive coordinator. Haley and McDermott looked out of sorts and even Bundy was not in any flow. The team needs to gel on both ends.

It was good to see depth on both sides of the field, and this should pay dividends down the road. And let’s give credit to Hopkins which played very well. They smacked Jacksonville on the road and they beat Duke at Duke today.
Weird that McDermott seemed to totally disappear? Been a big fan of his game. Bundy and Dordevic are both amazing individual talents, but Dordevic, in particular, has never shown the ability to fit into a an offense that didn't revolve around him carrying, dodging and taking a zillion shots. Tons of talent on that team, but think you may end up missing Phipps and having a hard time integrating all the individually great pieces.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:27 pm I do not think the focus on Haley is warranted at this point. The offense is integrating 6-7 guys who are new or got little time last year. In addition there is a new offensive coordinator. Haley and McDermott looked out of sorts and even Bundy was not in any flow. The team needs to gel on both ends.

The last couple of years the team came out fully formed and was basically the same team by the end of the year. That was not enough to go deep into May. So the fact they are taking the steps now to develop a deeper squad is promising and will pay dividends as they find their identity.

Side note: did Will Godine play? I don’t recall seeing his number. Would be a reason Hess played mainly D mid. We missed him on the face off wings too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”