Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm Freshman Minicus is starting. Rest of offensive group is Kamish, James, Higgins, Lindsey and Poitras. Pocheco needs to win at least 50% for Hounds to have a chance. Have watched offense past two weeks and they are moving the ball very well. Think they can put up double digits v MD.
Defense is strong. Staudt has looked good last two scrimmages and SSDMs are great. Sally has scored in both games and Payton Rezanka is best SSDM in country. Wyers and Hughes anchor tough D.
Think this game will be much closer than last year’s blowout. Key is whether Hounds get any kind of production from second line middies. So far, best has been freshman Murphy. Heard McGorry is out for season with knee injury so that hurts. Can Bateman get back to where he was two years ago or does he do what he did last year (no goals in 15 games). Heuston also injured. He was a force at the end of last year. Binney has been hot and cold. Last year there was a tremendous drop off between 1st and 2nd middie groups. Caused Toomey to play 1st line way too much. They were tired by the end of every game. Lost a bunch of close games by getting out scored badly in 4th quarter. Need second group to produce. If they don’t then Freshmen 4stars may need to step in early and produce. Can’t see Toomey or Van giving the second line group the leash he gave them Last year.

My prediction is 16-12 MD and win next week v Hopkins.
The only only caveat that I will point out is that the scrimmages were against teams who are just.. not Maryland.

Sure they beat Richmond, yes they beat Syracuse, yes they tied UNC but… it’s just not the terps?

How can we view the success of recent scrimmages when the opponents are not the Terps? It’s a whole different game
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Formerhound wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:53 pm Freshman Minicus is starting. Rest of offensive group is Kamish, James, Higgins, Lindsey and Poitras. Pocheco needs to win at least 50% for Hounds to have a chance. Have watched offense past two weeks and they are moving the ball very well. Think they can put up double digits v MD.
Defense is strong. Staudt has looked good last two scrimmages and SSDMs are great. Sally has scored in both games and Payton Rezanka is best SSDM in country. Wyers and Hughes anchor tough D.
Think this game will be much closer than last year’s blowout. Key is whether Hounds get any kind of production from second line middies. So far, best has been freshman Murphy. Heard McGorry is out for season with knee injury so that hurts. Can Bateman get back to where he was two years ago or does he do what he did last year (no goals in 15 games). Heuston also injured. He was a force at the end of last year. Binney has been hot and cold. Last year there was a tremendous drop off between 1st and 2nd middie groups. Caused Toomey to play 1st line way too much. They were tired by the end of every game. Lost a bunch of close games by getting out scored badly in 4th quarter. Need second group to produce. If they don’t then Freshmen 4stars may need to step in early and produce. Can’t see Toomey or Van giving the second line group the leash he gave them Last year.

My prediction is 16-12 MD and win next week v Hopkins.
I'd be pretty stunned to go 50/50. To me it's all down to shooting percentage. What makes Maryland so unstoppable is that when they outshoot you they blow you out, but when you outshoot them they still win because they have a great goalie and they can everything. Loyola has to find a way to keep them below 40% and has to shoot at least close to as well. Even a great day stealing possessions won't make it up if they shoot 16 for 33.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:45 pm You’re not beating any of their poles; I suppose you could attack Burlace but he’s drawing whoever the #4 dodging option on the other team is, which for you guys I presume is…Higgins? Not sure on any freshmen who may be breaking into the lineup. That match-up is probably a wash. I don’t see where Loyola wins running by Zapitello/Makar/Geppert.

Last year, if you were gonna dodge Maryland, you did it by attacking their shorties from the wing. They weren’t super laterally quick, but really strong. This year I think it may be the inverse, they’re really quick but not quite as strong. If you’ve got some strong midfield dodgers who can get downhill, do it there. But also this is one game guesstimating, hard to know for sure. They still looked really good.

The offenses that caused them problems last two years were UVA and Ohio State. UVA did it by just running by them and shooting the lights out. I don’t think the first is replicable and you will have to do the second one. The Ohio State one could be possible for Loyola because when that offense works well; they do cut and move off ball so well. But Ohio State got them caught in the wash on adjacent picks and over helping so much and killed them inside. Basically the only team to penetrate the crease against them and get great looks. Of course, Jack Myers is a Top 5 attackmen in the country and uniquely great at being a guy who plays pick game and feeds crease. But Loyola has had success in those areas. Maybe a place to target.

I just see Loyola having trouble getting to a dozen or so goals though, esp if Wierman is 60%+.

On the offensive side, my question is Loyola’s poles after Wyers. If they’re strong, I think they could match up well in terms of stopping Maryland from running by them, which they did with ease a year ago. Rezanka likely gets a good matchup. But if it’s an area of weakness…Maryland had no trouble with Richmond a week ago winning matchups. Maltz looks stronger as a dodger, Murphy can pop at times. Long is always a threat. And you always have to account for just how good they are at hedging off their man and cutting to open space and creating tremendous spacing in their sets. It’s the best run offense in the country for a reason.

Loyola will fare better than Richmond, especially with a great home atmosphere, if their speciality teams are strong I could see it being a competitive game for a time but in the range of mid-teens for Maryland to 8-11 to Loyola is what I see
Yeah, they're going to have to attack the shorties on inverts. Tillman defenses are always good at stopping midfield alley dodges, so even you can run past a shorty up top, you're heading straight into an inside-out slide. Last year, Loyola's attack group just couldn't get their hands free to do anything, whether shooting or passing. Poitras is big, strong, and fast, and he got underneath shorties on the wing. Strangely, the Hounds didn't use Higgins much against Maryland behind the net last year. His quickness and ability to shake defenders behind the goal is high level.

Unfortunately for the Loyola, opening against the Terps is just brutal. You're going to turn the ball over in your first game, which is different than a scrimmage. You can't give the Terps any additional possessions by being sloppy with the ball. I think the Hounds can do some interesting things on the ride to cause the Terps problems.

In terms of Loyola getting out in transition, I think teams need to stick to their DNA. If running and going early on offense is what you do, you have to do that. You can still play smart and play fast.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

In terms of Loyola getting out in transition, I think teams need to stick to their DNA. If running and going early on offense is what you do, you have to do that. You can still play smart and play fast.

You will put the defense in a bind,

Did not know Mcgorry and hueston hurt, That hurts the offense. I was looking forward to seeing Mcgorry play. I hear that Batemans heart is just not in it and is going through the motions.

I thinking a score similar to MD Richmond. 18-6 Terps
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

:x :evil: :twisted:
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Defense solid so far. Looks like it’s midfield or bust on offense today. Attack is not up for the challenge with no Kamish available? Haberman with a nice goal though….as I was typing!
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Dream start for the Hounds. Virtually no mistakes in the first half, and several freshmen playing very well. Losing badly on faceoffs and GBs, but making up for it with solid defense and goaltending.

Disappointing to see so many players in street clothes on the sideline, including Kamish, but the team is playing great.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 1:57 pm Dream start for the Hounds. Virtually no mistakes in the first half, and several freshmen playing very well. Losing badly on faceoffs and GBs, but making up for it with solid defense and goaltending.

Disappointing to see so many players in street clothes on the sideline, including Kamish, but the team is playing great.
Agree 100% Freshman are holding their own on the big stage, great atmosphere. Staudt looks great. Great start for the hounds
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Where did they find the announcers. Two should not be covering a quilting bee
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cno3putts wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:09 pm Where did they find the announcers. Two should not be covering a quilting bee
They're the Schwetty Balls ladies' husbands.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

3 great qtrs against a great team. Keep it up!!
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Cno3putts wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:09 pm Where did they find the announcers. Two should not be covering a quilting bee
one is a local sports reporter Glenn Clark and the other played at Loyola Chris Gunkel.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

this might be over?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Terps looking like 💩
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:44 pm Terps looking like 💩
No Loyola out played them even with struggles at the X and with clears. Defense is solid. Ridley is electrifying. Greatest place to watch a game.

I am sold on the young players, Minicus, Haberfield played well on the big stage, Just heard in the stands that Wyers was playing sick. Coaches had the players ready to play.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:44 pm Terps looking like 💩
No Loyola out played them even with struggles at the X and with clears. Defense is solid. Ridley is electrifying. Greatest place to watch a game.

I am sold on the young players, Minicus, Haberfield played well on the big stage, Just heard in the stands that Wyers was playing sick. Coaches had the players ready to play.
both can be true.
~Livy
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

“Loyola is the 4th best team in the PL.”
-Lacrosse Media
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Best game I have seen them play in years.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

thank you loyola for my sanity back.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 3:09 pm “Loyola is the 4th best team in the PL.”
-Lacrosse Media
:D
Let's see how they do against Hop. That was a big upset as well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”