Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
oldbartman

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by oldbartman »

molo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 pm The announcers are especially hard to take when you realize we could have had my favorite color man, Ryan Powell.
The super homer who sounds like he's on thorazine?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

molo wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:53 pm The announcers are especially hard to take when you realize we could have had my favorite color man, Ryan Powell.
Yes. I said the exact same thing. Really poor taste.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

jrn19 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:58 pm Can’t have any complaints about what he did tonight. The assists will come. Teams will begin to slide to him off tonight’s game. Not all the time until he does it against elite comp but he’s got tape now that shows what he can do that you have to account for and respect and game plan for. It was a good showing
No problem with his game. I didn’t put much into his first game either. Those announcers were so incredibly bad. I wonder if they had an inside joke to see who could be more over the top?
“I wish you would!”
AllSportsCafe

Post by AllSportsCafe »

Re: Lacrosse Bets - Week 2
Post Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:18 pm

Friday: Syracuse offense starts ticking and plays a great game, defense keeps Albany to around 6 goals and Syracuse is able to cover -6.5. Bold pick, but I think Friday night lights in the Dome push the needle

I’ll be here all season, try the veal!
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm Seems like the slamming Spallina may have been premature?
Ya think? What do you call it when Joey scores five goals on seven shots, a finster?
lorin

Post by lorin »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:31 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:11 pm Seems like the slamming Spallina may have been premature?
Ya think? What do you call it when Joey scores five goals on seven shots, a finster?
Boy it’s going to be real easy to hate Cuse this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 10:42 pm I watched the game. May have been the absolute worst announcers I have ever heard in my lifetime. Were they students? Just God Awful with the hyperbole. A comparison of Joey Spallina to Michael Jordan may have been the cherry on top. Brutal.
Where was the Latrell Sprewell comparison?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
tech37

Post by tech37 »

bjred wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:06 pm
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:52 pm Clearly, he likes to score. Good at it as well. How many shots did he take?
Spallina 5 goals on 7 shots, Hiltz 3 goals on 5 shots, Birtwistle 3 goals on 3 shots. Simmons with 4 assists. Much better shooting tonight from the offense though both Albany goalies are under 50% for their careers. Probably see a similar stat line Sunday. The real test will be next weekend against Maryland.
I'm "old school" but still... Spallina should lose the post-goal celebrations against these teams. Although, he puts up 5 against Makar, he can celebrate all he wants ;)

Birtwistle's 2nd goal was sick. Hope Aviles is back soon.
Last edited by tech37 on Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I very much like what I see from Cuse lacrosse this year, unlike what I've seen the last couple/few years. The team looks like what I'd expect from a GG and DP coached team. There's a looseness, creativity, and quick ball movement on the O end of the field and a stingy D that gives you little room to breathe on the D end of the field. Both coaches get an A+ from me so far this year. Yes, I realize this is a young team who hasn't met the elite level of competition yet, but I sure like the potential I see.
Sure gotta figure Gary passed a few words of wisdom along to #22 after the Vermont game and it appears as if he listened. Those who are looking to tear this kid apart are hard pressed to find fault with him v Albany, he played a good game. Puts in a finster, gotta love that, shot fewer than half the number of times he did last week too. Gary's got himself a whole bunch of nice looking young box lax minded players out there and it shows in their style of play, it's fun to watch. Will say again, Hiltz's stick is just magic, his passes are just phenomenal. So sharp, so crisp, so accurate...and from any distance and any angle. What a treat he is to watch, got himself a hat trick in this one too.
More good news, the announcer in the Dome said Johns Hopkins yesterday evening. Gotta love a guy who is willing to listen and learn, eh?
Bad news, the system in place for getting a "ticket" at the Dome is just flat out idiotic. First you stick your card (no cash) in the little device that reads them to pay for it. Then the guy in the booth asks you for your phone number so he can send you your ticket via text message. You then pull your text message up and show it to the "ticket taker" who scans it, and voi la, you're in the Dome. Does this sound like a faster, smoother, more efficient way to get a ticket and into the Dome than to hand a person a twenty, he then hands you a ticket which you then hand to the ticket taker? Ridiculous.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:19 am I very much like what I see from Cuse lacrosse this year, unlike what I've seen the last couple/few years. The team looks like what I'd expect from a GG and DP coached team. There's a looseness, creativity, and quick ball movement on the O end of the field and a stingy D that gives you little room to breathe on the D end of the field. Both coaches get an A+ from me so far this year. Yes, I realize this is a young team who hasn't met the elite level of competition yet, but I sure like the potential I see.
Sure gotta figure Gary passed a few words of wisdom along to #22 after the Vermont game and it appears as if he listened. Those who are looking to tear this kid apart are hard pressed to find fault with him v Albany, he played a good game. Puts in a finster, gotta love that, shot fewer than half the number of times he did last week too. Gary's got himself a whole bunch of nice looking young box lax minded players out there and it shows in their style of play, it's fun to watch. Will say again, Hiltz's stick is just magic, his passes are just phenomenal. So sharp, so crisp, so accurate...and from any distance and any angle. What a treat he is to watch, got himself a hat trick in this one too.
More good news, the announcer in the Dome said Johns Hopkins yesterday evening. Gotta love a guy who is willing to listen and learn, eh?
Bad news, the system in place for getting a "ticket" at the Dome is just flat out idiotic. First you stick your card (no cash) in the little device that reads them to pay for it. Then the guy in the booth asks you for your phone number so he can send you your ticket via text message. You then pull your text message up and show it to the "ticket taker" who scans it, and voi la, you're in the Dome. Does this sound like a faster, smoother, more efficient way to get a ticket and into the Dome than to hand a person a twenty, he then hands you a ticket which you then hand to the ticket taker? Ridiculous.
Pat March isn’t coaching this season?
“I wish you would!”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

"Pat March isn’t coaching this season?"

Those Anne Arundel County men know how to coach. ;) His Dad ran the AACty Lacrosse Rec program for a stint....great man.
Last edited by youthathletics on Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Will gladly give March an A+ plus too.
Again, like what I see.
Typical Lax Dad

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:47 am Will gladly give March an A+ plus too.
Again, like what I see.
:D Not you, but people don’t seem to realize that he has a track record for running good offense. Overshadowed now that Gary is head coach. March was kept for a reason. Team looks good. Will get a better read as the season unfolds but headed in the right direction.
Last edited by Typical Lax Dad on Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“I wish you would!”
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

tech37 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:10 am
blue angels wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:52 pm Clearly, he likes to score. Good at it as well. How many shots did he take?
Spallina 5 goals on 7 shots, Hiltz 3 goals on 5 shots, Birtwistle 3 goals on 3 shots. Simmons with 4 assists. Much better shooting tonight from the offense though both Albany goalies are under 50% for their careers. Probably see a similar stat line Sunday. The real test will be next weekend against Maryland.
I'm "old school" but still... Spallina should lose the post-goal celebrations against these teams. Although, he puts up 5 against Makar, he can celebrate all he wants ;)

I am old school too, have no problem with celebrating goals, but they should be celebrated with your teammates. Not running away from them
tech37

Post by tech37 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 10:57 am
tech37 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:10 am

I am old school too, have no problem with celebrating goals, but they should be celebrated with your teammates. Not running away from them
:lol: I"m obviously older school than you are
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Got a question. Are all the current freshman on the Cuse roster players who didn't commit to Cuse until Gary was the head coach?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:19 am I very much like what I see from Cuse lacrosse this year, unlike what I've seen the last couple/few years. The team looks like what I'd expect from a GG and DP coached team. There's a looseness, creativity, and quick ball movement on the O end of the field and a stingy D that gives you little room to breathe on the D end of the field. Both coaches get an A+ from me so far this year. Yes, I realize this is a young team who hasn't met the elite level of competition yet, but I sure like the potential I see.
Does everyone have to use JMA wireless????
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 12:49 pm Got a question. Are all the current freshman on the Cuse roster players who didn't commit to Cuse until Gary was the head coach?
Finn Thomson and Riley Figueiras both committed to Gait.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So by my count Spallina is now 9/26 or around 34% shooting and 11pts in 2.5 games. Who knows how he will do down the road but the early overreactions to his first game seem petty now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”