Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by nyjay »

dms87 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 am hopkins d was very good in 6 v 6, but thought a number of those are goals if marcille wasn't gobbling or deflecting some quality shots

I felt the same way. I assume Marcille is the surprise starter, based on what people thought with the transfer coming in? Perhaps, and I pray this is true, he can continue this play based on practice performance and earning the start. Multiple comments on the broadcast were made about him guessing low and Jax not altering their shooting accordingly. I did think he was overt. As a short guy, perhaps he just gets low more quickly? Did anyone attend the scrimmage v Denver and feel he was hedging low? He needs to continue to be a difference maker Sat. Go Hop!
Marcille was great, but definitely true that Jax was looking to go low (finally listening to their 6th grade lax coach?). Hopefully, he continues to excel. The last smaller guy we had wasn't particularly good with high heat, so don't really even want to contemplate that possibility. Above average goaltending would go a long way in helping this team take a step forward.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://judolphins.com/news/2023/2/8/me ... eview.aspx
galloway's recap. Mostly praise for the jays offense and discipline following crawlys game plan-"they had 3 goals in the last 3 seconds of the shot clock".
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

dms87 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:52 am hopkins d was very good in 6 v 6, but thought a number of those are goals if marcille wasn't gobbling or deflecting some quality shots

I felt the same way. I assume Marcille is the surprise starter, based on what people thought with the transfer coming in? Perhaps, and I pray this is true, he can continue this play based on practice performance and earning the start. Multiple comments on the broadcast were made about him guessing low and Jax not altering their shooting accordingly. I did think he was overt. As a short guy, perhaps he just gets low more quickly? Did anyone attend the scrimmage v Denver and feel he was hedging low? He needs to continue to be a difference maker Sat. Go Hop!
Let’s all remember how this staff left him on the bench last year while the play in the cage was subpar week after week. Still doesn’t make sense.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/2/9 ... notes.aspx
The team is going as far as the maturity and development of the jr class is going to take them.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Honest predictions for the G-Town game this weekend?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:46 pm Honest predictions for the G-Town game this weekend?
Jays 28, Georgetown 3.

Dylan Bauer with 11 goals.

Alex Mazzone with 8 caused turnovers against his former team.

Cornell Willis with 12 beers consumed at Homeslyce after the game.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 2:46 pm Honest predictions for the G-Town game this weekend?
11-9 Hoyas. Improved offensive consistency and efficiency with more rest and it's a much more competitive game.
molo

Post by molo »

13-11 Hopkins
NOVALax2015

Post by NOVALax2015 »

Not nearly enough data to honestly predict, other than: I predict a competitive game, not a blowout.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Friends, it's been a minute since I've been to Homewood and I'm thinking I might be able to make the Tuesday 2/14 game against UNC. Any advice on best parking strategy? Many thanks!
JaXKy0521S

Post by JaXKy0521S »

I think it will be a very competitive game and hopefully Hopkins will pull it out. Thinking face offs should be a big advantage for Hopkins and they were in it early last year but ran out of gas. This team seems to play fast and aggressive. Should be a great day to be a Jay. For parking there are a bunch of spots if you get there early. You can park right on campus for around $10. With it being a mid week game should have a good shot to score a decent spot.

Post by 1766 »

13-8 Gtown
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

I didn't see the Jacksonville game so have no specific comments except that winning the groundball statistic is big.

A couple of weeks ago, Jason Gay in the Wall Street Journal had a story about Pat Spenser's venture to become a professional basketball player. Of interest to me was that Spencer did not make the Boys Latin varsity lacrosse team his sophomore year as he was too small (he was 6'4" and 215 in college). We all remember the early recruiting disaster.

I was discussing this article with one of my pals from high school, who was starting attack at Harvard and 1st Team all-ivy.
We talked about people we knew who had the same growing experience, including myself. I wrestled 133lbs my sophomore HS year and played lacrosse in college at 190 lbs. WE knew lots of guys with the same growing time. Why did anyone with a brain think that early recruiting was a sensible idea?

Anyhow, I reviewed the current Hopkins roster and the players are decent sized. I think that is a good omen for the upcoming season. Lacrosse is not a difficult sport to play, Fundamentals are key as is athletism and speed. That is a good base to build on.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Jay 11
Hoyas 8
lilax

Post by lilax »

Chitown wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:11 pm I didn't see the Jacksonville game so have no specific comments except that winning the groundball statistic is big.

A couple of weeks ago, Jason Gay in the Wall Street Journal had a story about Pat Spenser's venture to become a professional basketball player. Of interest to me was that Spencer did not make the Boys Latin varsity lacrosse team his sophomore year as he was too small (he was 6'4" and 215 in college). We all remember the early recruiting disaster.
Can we stop with the Spencer being overlooked narrative?

He was committed to Loyola by his Sophomore year. He was in the recruiting rankings, he got as high as the #5 ranked player.

What people don’t talk about is BL was loaded at attack that Spencer’s sophomore year.
Just look at the attack
Sr. Colin Heacock- 4 year starter and 2x AA at Maryland
Jr. Wells Stanwick 4 year starter and 2x AA at JHU
Jr. Colin Chell 4 year starter at Ohio St.

Yea he may have been stuck on JV. But to say he wasn’t a talented player early in his life is a lie. He just had to wait his turn.

…………………

I think it will be a close game this weekend. I think it will come down to if Hopkins has enough gas in the tank late in the game. Georgetown will be pressuring the Hopkins offense all over the field.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

lilax wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:02 pm
Chitown wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 5:11 pm I didn't see the Jacksonville game so have no specific comments except that winning the groundball statistic is big.

He was committed to Loyola by his Sophomore year. He was in the recruiting rankings, he got as high as the #5 ranked player.

What people don’t talk about is BL was loaded at attack that Spencer’s sophomore year.
Just look at the attack

Yea he may have been stuck on JV. But to say he wasn’t a talented player early in his life is a lie. He just had to wait his turn.

…………………

I think it will be a close game this weekend. I think it will come down to if Hopkins has enough gas in the tank late in the game. Georgetown will be pressuring the Hopkins offense all over the field.
Almost anyone who starts in their junior year in the A Conference is a stick.

I think Hop is a bit more fast and physical than last year. I think it's a Pick 'Em. One goal game either way. 11-10
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

get it to x wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:25 pm
lilax wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 9:02 pm

Just look at the attack

…………………

Almost anyone who starts in their junior year in the A Conference is a stick.

I think Hop is a bit more fast and physical than last year. I think it's a Pick 'Em. One goal game either way. 11-10
if only vegas would be that kind.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I think it comes down to our goalie play (and Georgetown's shooting). Jax missed wide several shots from point blank range last week.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:46 pm Friends, it's been a minute since I've been to Homewood and I'm thinking I might be able to make the Tuesday 2/14 game against UNC. Any advice on best parking strategy? Many thanks!
If you want to be right at the field and want to contribute $10 to the cause you should be able to get gameday parking in the Muller Deck garage right by the stadium on San Martin Drive. If not and you're able bodied for a short walk the real pro play is to find free street parking North of campus on University Parkway or one of the side streets. Many often have plenty of space available.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:35 pm Thinking face offs should be a big advantage for Hopkins and they were in it early last year but ran out of gas.
I am not sure why you think that. Georgetown is returning a 3rd team AA - a 5th year senior - who won 60% of his face-offs. went 10 for 17 against Hopkins and 6-7 in the 4th. If fatigue was a factor - hopefully Hopkins can do better in the 4th quarter but if the lacrosse gods gave you 50-50 throughout the game right now you might take it.

I just wish Scott Marr was coaching this team - I heard Albany played last night against a team that scored 7 goals against Vermont - I am sure they did well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”