All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
PizzaSnake

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by PizzaSnake »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:48 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:10 am
old salt wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:12 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:48 pm
old salt wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:10 pm It's a false predicate. A strawman you set up & challenge me to joust. That's how you roll.
No. It's an annoyance that you have one set of rules for Dems, and one for R's.
:lol: So make up something implausable, to test your theory, then equivocate when it fails.

Stop wasting my time & the forum's bandwith, just to sustain your petty vendetta.

We're all free here to express our opinions. Give it a rest. We're all partisans or we wouldn't express our opinions.
Disingenuous and hypocritical
There’s a petty vendetta going on here by some for sure. Just not what’s being described above.
"Terence, this is stupid stuff:
You eat your victuals fast enough;
There can't be much amiss, 'tis clear,
To see the rate you drink your beer.
But oh, good Lord, the verse you make,
It gives a chap the belly-ache.
The cow, the old cow, she is dead;
It sleeps well, the horned head:
We poor lads, 'tis our turn now
To hear such tunes as killed the cow.
Pretty friendship 'tis to rhyme
Your friends to death before their time

Moping melancholy mad:
Come, pipe a tune to dance to, lad.

Why, if 'tis dancing you would be,
There's brisker pipes than poetry.
Say, for what were hop-yards meant,
Or why was Burton built on Trent?
Oh many a peer of England brews
Livelier liquor than the Muse,
And malt does more than Milton can
To justify God's ways to man.

Ale, man, ale's the stuff to drink
For fellows whom it hurts to think:
Look into the pewter pot
To see the world as the world's not.
And faith, 'tis pleasant till 'tis past:
The mischief is that 'twill not last.

Oh I have been to Ludlow fair
And left my necktie God knows where,
And carried half-way home, or near,
Pints and quarts of Ludlow beer:
Then the world seemed none so bad,
And I myself a sterling lad;
And down in lovely muck I've lain,
Happy till I woke again.
Then I saw the morning sky:
Heigho, the tale was all a lie;
The world, it was the old world yet,
I was I, my things were wet,
And nothing now remained to do
But begin the game anew.
"

-- A.E. Houseman, "Terence this is stupid stuff"

https://genius.com/A-e-housman-terence- ... -annotated
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am
old salt wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:10 pm It's a false predicate. A strawman you set up & challenge me to joust. That's how you roll.
:lol: So make up something implausable, to test your theory, then equivocate when it fails.

Stop wasting my time & the forum's bandwith, just to sustain your petty vendetta.

We're all free here to express our opinions. Give it a rest. We're all partisans or we wouldn't express our opinions.
OS thinks that being a partisan means that no matter what Dems do or say…it’s wrong.

What it’s SUPPOSED to mean is that no matter what, OS has one set of somewhat extreme values that he applies to evaluate all situations.

It’s why instead of being outraged by all government corruption and conflicts of interest, he’s all over Hunter Biden….while in the same breath, mocked his fellow posters for daring to call out the same conflicts in the Trump family.

It’s just depressing. And annoying. And it’s why America is circling the drain.
:roll: ...no one has investigated or scrutinized Trump & family finances.
FTR -- I've said very little about Hunter. When trolled on it, my usual response is wait & see what comes out.
You're the one obsessed with Hunter who keeps bringing him up.
You hear stuff from the right, get all spooled up, then attribute it to me.
You just want someone to argue with. You're as moderate as Bernie
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:34 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:36 am

OS thinks that being a partisan means that no matter what Dems do or say…it’s wrong.

What it’s SUPPOSED to mean is that no matter what, OS has one set of somewhat extreme values that he applies to evaluate all situations.

It’s why instead of being outraged by all government corruption and conflicts of interest, he’s all over Hunter Biden….while in the same breath, mocked his fellow posters for daring to call out the same conflicts in the Trump family.

It’s just depressing. And annoying. And it’s why America is circling the drain.
:roll: ...no one has investigated or scrutinized Trump & family finances.
FTR -- I've said very little about Hunter. When trolled on it, my usual response is wait & see what comes out.
You're the one obsessed with Hunter who keeps bringing him up.
You hear stuff from the right, get all spooled up, then attribute it to me.
You just want someone to argue with. You're as moderate as Bernie
I did a simple search and you've actually posted quite a lot about Hunter, all from a very distinct perspective.

Just bumped the most recent to the top...
old salt

Post by old salt »

Zelensky made a pitch to get fighter planes in his speech before Parliment today.
This is the best report I've seen on what the UK is offering. It seems primarily symbolic.
The Brits have let their TacAir inventory atrophy, cost cutting, awaiting the F-35.
Looks like pressure on the US to ok NATO transfer of used F-16's, with USAF backfill, as necessary.
Boris Johnson is happy to offer F-16's on behalf of the US.
The only realistic option that could have near term impact is to finally transfer Mig-29's that Poland & Slovakia have offered & Bulgaria is holding onto until they buy F-16's. The backfill could be to rotate USAF, USAFNG & other NATO ally F-16 deployments to those countries, as they acquire & transition to F-16's themselves, to replace the Mig-29's they're giving up. The same solution was obvious a year ago when the issue first arose.
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/ ... s-weapons/

UK to look into sending Ukraine fighter planes after Zelensky visit

Ukrainian president urges Britain to give his country ‘wings for freedom’ in impassioned speech to MPs at Westminster

By Ben Riley-Smith, POLITICAL EDITOR ; Danielle Sheridan, DEFENCE EDITOR and Joe Barnes, BRUSSELS CORRESPONDENT
9 February 2023
Rishi Sunak has laid the groundwork for Britain to send fighter jets to Ukraine after an impassioned plea from Volodymyr Zelensky during his surprise trip to the UK.
The Prime Minister ordered the Ministry of Defence to look into how planes could be provided and announced that Ukrainian pilots would be trained in Britain.
The sudden openness to fulfilling Ukraine's request for Nato-standard aircraft came on a day of extraordinary diplomacy.
Mr Zelensky, who was embraced by Mr Sunak on the tarmac of Stansted Airport, was already flying to Britain in an RAF plane by the time news broke of the visit, which had been planned in secret for months.
Addressing MPs and peers in Westminster Hall, Mr Zelensky said: “I appeal to you and the world with simple and yet most important words: combat aircraft for Ukraine. Wings for freedom.”
He presented Parliament with the gift of a helmet from a Ukrainian fighter pilot, inscribed with the words: "We have freedom. Give us wings to protect it."
In the afternoon, Mr Zelensky met the King at Buckingham Palace and was told "we are all worried about you and thinking of your nation" by the monarch.
The call for jets was swiftly backed by Boris Johnson, the former prime minister and a Tory rival of Mr Sunak, who released a statement calling for the UK to give the "extra equipment it needs".
Britain will train Ukrainian pilots on simulators that can be adapted for various different aircraft, meaning they could end up using planes given by other Nato allies rather than the UK. Many of Ukraine's allies possess the US-made F-16.
Sending the UK’s Typhoon jets is complicated because they were co-built with Germany, Italy and Spain, meaning approval from those countries would normally be needed for deployment.
Downing Street said that training an existing pilot in how to use one of the UK jets would normally take three years, arguing that giving planes immediately would not help. But Mr Zelensky later quipped that Ukrainian pilots had already been in training for two and a half years.
The new willingness to consider giving UK planes for the battle against Vladimir Putin’s fighters is a marked change from even just a few weeks ago.
It echoes similar moves in the past to eventually agree to send heavy artillery and tanks for use by Ukrainian soldiers.
On Thursday, Mr Zelensky is set to repeat his pleas for jets in an address to the European Parliament in Brussels. He also pressed the case during a stopover in Paris on Wednesday night to meet President Emmanuel Macron and German chancellor Olaf Scholz.
Speaking at the Elysée ahead of a dinner, Mr Macron said France would “continue the efforts” to deliver arms to Kyiv.
The Telegraph has been told by an adviser to the Ukrainian president that Kyiv believes the decision to release Western jets will not be as protracted as that over tanks.
"Things are now moving quicker than they were at the beginning of the war," the adviser said, suggesting a decision could be reached at the next meeting of the US-led Ukraine Contact Group at the Ramstein air base in Germany on Feb 14.
Mr Sunak spelled out Britain’s new openness to fighter jets at a joint press conference with Mr Zelensky in Dorset, held after the pair visited Ukrainians being trained by the UK military.
The Prime Minister said: “When it comes to fighter combat aircraft, of course they are part of the conversation - indeed, we have been discussing that today and have been previously.
"That's why we have announced today that we will be training the Ukrainian air force on Nato-standard platforms, because the first step in being able to provide advanced aircrafts is to have soldiers or aviators who are capable of using them.
"That is a process that takes some time. We've started that process today, that's because we are keen to support the president and his country in delivering a victory.
"And nothing is off the table and our leadership on this issue is something we all collectively should be very proud of, and I know the president is grateful for."
Mr Zelensky had earlier presented Parliament with the gift of a helmet from a Ukrainian fighter pilot, inscribed with the words: "We have freedom. Give us wings to protect it."
He added: “I will be leaving the Parliament today thanking all of you in advance for powerful English planes.”
In the joint press conference, Mr Zelensky warned that there was a risk of "stagnation" in his country's struggle against Russia if jets and other key weaponry are not sent.
Kyiv and its Western allies are eager to arm Ukrainian fighters as much as is realistically possible before this spring, when a new Russian offensive in the country is expected.
The Russian embassy in London warned on Wednesday that supplying warplanes meant the UK would bear responsibility "for another twist of escalation and the ensuing military-political consequences for the European continent and the entire world”.
While Mr Sunak’s change in position to openly considering sending fighter jets to Ukraine is notable, it remains unclear when or even whether that option will be taken.
Downing Street was careful to make clear that the decision to deploy jets has not been taken. Ben Wallace, the Defence Secretary, is tasked with reviewing the issue.
The Prime Minister and his press team drew a distinction between weaponry that would help Ukraine in the immediate conflict and the long-term, the indication being that jets fall in the latter category.
But Mr Zelensky notably pushed back on those arguments, saying in the press conference: "Come on, we will be sending you pilots who have already trained for two and a half years."
Mr Johnson, whose allies blame Mr Sunak for playing a key role in his ousting from Downing Street, weighed in publicly calling for the UK to send Ukraine planes.
Mr Johnson said in a statement: “It is time to give the Ukrainians the extra equipment they need to defeat Putin and to restore peace to Ukraine. That means longer range missiles and artillery. It means more tanks. It means planes.
“We have more than 100 Typhoon jets. We have more than 100 Challenger 2 tanks. The best single use for any of these items is to deploy them now for the protection of the Ukrainians - not least because that is how we guarantee our own long-term security.”
Mr Zelensky later met Emmanuel Macron and Olaf Scholz in Paris
Olaf Scholz, the German chancellor, warned that Berlin would not be drawn into a “public bidding war” over military support for Ukraine.
Joe Biden, the US president, has already said that America will not provide F-16 jets to Ukraine.
old salt

Post by old salt »

What Russia Got Wrong

Can Moscow Learn From Its Failures in Ukraine?

By Dara Massicot

When Russian President Vladimir Putin launched the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, a Russian victory seemed assured, not just to the Kremlin, but to many in the West. The Russian military was larger, better equipped, and more experienced than Ukraine’s. “Most Western analysts therefore assumed that if Russian forces used their advantages wisely, the Ukrainians could not withstand the attack for long,” writes Dara Massicot in a new essay for Foreign Affairs. But nearly a year into the conflict, “why Russia did not prevail—why it was instead stopped in its tracks, routed outside major cities, and put on the defensive—has become one of the most important questions in both U.S. foreign policy and international security more broadly.”

Massicot details the military’s long-standing structural problems and how political interference led to wildly bad planning on the Kremlin’s part. But “analysts must not focus only on Russia’s failures,” she warns. The Russian military is proving that it can correct for past mistakes—and Moscow’s evolving strategy is starting to show results on the battlefield. “The question,” writes Massicot, “is whether its changes will be enough.”
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:13 pm
What Russia Got Wrong

By Dara Massicot

When Russian President Vladimir Putin launched the invasion of Ukraine in February 2022, a Russian victory seemed assured, not just to the Kremlin, but to many in the West. The Russian military was larger, better equipped, and more experienced than Ukraine’s. “Most Western analysts therefore assumed that if Russian forces used their advantages wisely, the Ukrainians could not withstand the attack for long,” writes Dara Massicot in a new essay for Foreign Affairs. But nearly a year into the conflict, “why Russia did not prevail—why it was instead stopped in its tracks, routed outside major cities, and put on the defensive—has become one of the most important questions in both U.S. foreign policy and international security more broadly.”

Massicot details the military’s long-standing structural problems and how political interference led to wildly bad planning on the Kremlin’s part. But “analysts must not focus only on Russia’s failures,” she warns. The Russian military is proving that it can correct for past mistakes—and Moscow’s evolving strategy is starting to show results on the battlefield. “The question,” writes Massicot, “is whether its changes will be enough.”
There is still hope for you.
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 pm
What Russia Got Wrong

By Dara Massicot

My only hope is for a cease fore before either side starts their next offensive. Probably a futile hope.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:33 pm
What Russia Got Wrong

By Dara Massicot

My only hope is for a cease fore before either side starts their next offensive. Probably a futile hope.
I hope Putin withdraws. Probably a futile hope.
“I wish you would!”
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:48 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:47 pmMy only hope is for a cease fore before either side starts their next offensive. Probably a futile hope.
I hope Putin withdraws. Probably a futile hope.
A withdrawal can also be a cease-fire (FORE!!!)

There's hope for agreement between us all.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Watch 'em go after Sy Hersh. Victoria Nuland's video clips have not aged well.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/us-b ... -s730dnnfz

US bombed Nord Stream gas pipelines, claims investigative journalist Seymour Hersh

The bombing of the Nord Stream underwater gas pipelines in the Baltic Sea was a covert operation ordered by the White House and carried out by the CIA, a report by a veteran investigative journalist claims.
Seymour Hersh, a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter, has claimed that US deep-sea divers, using a Nato military exercise as a cover, planted mines along the pipelines that were later detonated remotely.
In September, a series of powerful explosions destroyed the Nord Stream 1 and 2 pipelines that run through the Baltic Sea from Russia to Germany and provide cheap gas to mainland Europe. The attack was soon revealed to have been a deliberate act but no culprit has yet been identified.

• Who attacked the Nord Stream pipelines?
Hersh, 85, who broke stories such as the mass murder of 500 civilians at My Lai in Vietnam and the torture of prisoners at the Abu Ghraib prison in Iraq, says that the “Black Op” was ordered by President Biden, and that the attack was carried out by the CIA in co-operation with Norway.

In a 5,000-word report published on the online publishing platform Substack, Hersh writes that the operation was disguised “under the cover of a widely publicized mid-summer NATO exercise known as Baltic Operations 22 or BALTOPS 22”, which was conducted in June off the coast of Germany.

He says that Biden’s decision to sabotage the pipelines came after more than nine months of top-secret planning within the American national security community. “For much of that time, the issue was not whether to do the mission, but how to get it done with no overt clue as to who was responsible,” Hersh has written.

Once hailed “the greatest American investigative reporter”, Hersh’s more recent stories have been called into question. These included articles about how the US found Osama bin Laden and calling into question the use of chemical weapons on Syrian civilians by Syria’s regime, which were criticised for relying heavily on anonymous sources and lacking hard evidence.

In his report on Nord Stream, Hersh has quoted an anonymous source “with direct knowledge of the operational planning”. He said that deep-sea divers from the US Navy’s Diving and Salvage Centre in Panama City, Florida, the largest diving facility in the world, planted C4 explosives alongside the pipeline, which were later triggered by a sonar buoy dropped by a plane.

Hersh has claimed that on September 26, 2022, a Norwegian Navy P8 surveillance plane made “a seemingly routine flight” and released the sonar buoy. “The signal spread underwater, initially to Nord Stream 2 and then on to Nord Stream 1,” he wrote. “A few hours later, the high-powered C4 explosives were triggered and three of the four pipelines were put out of commission. Within a few minutes, pools of methane gas that remained in the shuttered pipelines could be seen spreading on the water’s surface and the world learned that something irreversible had taken place.”

Nord Stream is run by a Swiss-based company whose major shareholder is Gazprom, the Russian energy giant. Russia has spent about $20 billion building the pipelines. Nord Stream 2, which was completed in 2021, was not yet operational at the time of the sabotage.

Hersh notes that Biden and his foreign policy team, which includes his national security adviser Jake Sullivan, his secretary of state Antony Blinken and under secretary of state for political affairs Victoria Nuland, had spoken out against Nord Stream 2, which would have yoked Europe to Russian gas for decades. It would also have increased the Kremlin’s political influence over the continent at a time of heightened tensions between Moscow and the West and significantly boosted revenue for Russia. Nord Stream 2, alone, would have doubled gas supply already provided by Nord Stream 1.

In February 2022, just weeks before the Russian invasion of Ukraine, while discussing possible sanctions against Moscow, Biden warned: “If Russia invades (. . .) there will no longer be a Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it.”

Hersh’s anonymous source says that, because of the president’s threat, destroying the pipeline “no longer could be considered a covert option because the president just announced that we knew how to do it”.

“The plan to blow up Nord Stream 1 and 2 was suddenly downgraded from a covert operation requiring that Congress be informed to one that was deemed as a highly classified intelligence operation with US military support,” Hersh has written. According to Hersh’s source, “there was no longer a legal requirement to report the operation to Congress. All they had to do now was just do it”.

Hersh’s report comes after Sergei Lavrov, the Russian foreign minister, alleged last week that the attack had been carried out by Washington in an attempt to ensure its global dominance. Moscow had previously accused the British Royal Navy of blowing up the pipelines but did not provide evidence.

Last week, The Times revealed that German investigators remained open to theories that a western state carried out the bombing with the aim of blaming it on Russia. The explosions are also being investigated by Denmark and Sweden.

Some western officials initially suspected the Kremlin although they stopped short of formally accusing Moscow. However, 23 diplomatic and intelligence officials in nine different western countries told the Washington Post recently that they had yet to see evidence linking Russia to the attack, with some saying they did not believe Russia was to blame. President Putin’s spokesman said allegations that Russia would cripple its own pipelines were “stupid and absurd”.

After the attack, Washington rejected allegations that the US was involved. “The idea that the United States was in any way involved in the apparent sabotage of these pipelines is preposterous. It is nothing more than a function of Russian disinformation and should be treated as such,” the US State Department said.

Adrienne Watson, a US National Security Council spokesperson, said: “This is utterly false and complete fiction.”
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Hilarious that you are now on the Hersh bandwagon. He is nothing more than an over-the-hill investigative journalist who hasn't broken a big story in over 20 years and has been WRONG quite often since then on things are varied as the Skripal poisoning and the details of the death of bin Laden. When pressed for evidence, he never delivers.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:43 am Hilarious that you are now on the Hersh bandwagon. He is nothing more than an over-the-hill investigative journalist who hasn't broken a big story in over 20 years and has been WRONG quite often since then on things are varied as the Skripal poisoning and the details of the death of bin Laden. When pressed for evidence, he never delivers.
Have you read his report ? It's a plausible story. Technically accurate in detail, like a Tom Clancy novel. No readily apparent holes, thus your tactic of discrediting the author, rather than refuting the details of the report. Biden's & Nuland's foolish braggadocio give it credence & made stories like this inevitable, but this story doesn't have any holes that make it obvious disinformation. Let's see what the Biden Admin comes up with to refute the story. Will they disprove it with substance or just attack the source, as you are. If it proves to be accurate, I'll be disappointed in Bill Burns if he went along with something this risky & provocative. It would help if some govt comes up with proof of a credible alternative explanation of who did it. Given Team Biden's PR bumbling of the China balloon "domain awareness gap", they don't have much more cred than Hersh. Maybe the impartial, unbiased 51 retired intel old pros will render an assessment.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 am
Kismet wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:43 am Hilarious that you are now on the Hersh bandwagon. He is nothing more than an over-the-hill investigative journalist who hasn't broken a big story in over 20 years and has been WRONG quite often since then on things are varied as the Skripal poisoning and the details of the death of bin Laden. When pressed for evidence, he never delivers.
Have you read his report ? It's a plausible story. Technically accurate in detail, like a Tom Clancy novel. No readily apparent holes, thus your tactic of discrediting the author, rather than refuting the details of the report. Biden's & Nuland's foolish braggadocio give it credence & made stories like this inevitable, but this story doesn't have any holes that make it obvious disinformation. Let's see what the Biden Admin comes up with to refute the story. Will they disprove it with substance or just attack the source, as you are. If it proves to be accurate, I'll be disappointed in Bill Burns if he went along with something this risky & provocative. It would help if some govt comes up with proof of a credible alternative explanation of who did it. Given Team Biden's PR bumbling of the China balloon "domain awareness gap", they don't have much more cred than Hersh. Maybe the impartial, unbiased 51 retired intel old pros will render an assessment.
Read the story. Unsourced (typical Hersh). No evidence otherwise. Government has already denied the story. So have the Norwegians who allegedly provided the plane to drop the sonar detonator.

Did you believe him on OBL, Skripal, JFK, Cheney on Iraq War?

Not too long ago,, they had the Brits doing the sabotage. Went nowhere

Of course, you choose to denigrate your own country while defending the Russians all because you don't like when a D is in charge. On brand for you. You sound more like Snowden every day.

Ted Cruz would have approved of it.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He isn't talking either.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Kismet wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:31 am
Read the story. Unsourced (typical Hersh). No evidence otherwise. Government has already denied the story. So have the Norwegians who allegedly provided the plane to drop the sonar detonator.

Of course, you choose to denigrate your own country while defending the Russians all because you don't like when a D is in charge. On brand for you. You sound more like Snowden every day.

Ted Cruz would have approved of it.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: He isn't talking either.
I did not say I believed it. I said it's plausible & technically detailed & feasible. Much of the world will believe it unless we convincingly refute it because we are the most likely suspect, thanks to Biden's & Nuland's threats. We had the motive, the means & the opportunity. What would Russia gain by doing it ? If they want to stop the flow, they just close the valves, as they already had done. So long as a Nordstream existed, there was the temptation for the EUroburghers to start buying cheaper Russian gas again, financing Russia & undermining ongoing support for Ukraine.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.rferl.org/a/ukraine-artille ... 83700.html

With Soviet-Era Artillery Shells Running Out, Ukrainian Forces Drive Demand For New Production

Ukrainian artillery crews have been using up their Soviet-era ammunition supplies and now need to find more sources for reloading their vintage howitzers. Along with testing new shells made in Ukraine, troops are hoping to get replenished supplies of Soviet-era-compatible ammunition from Poland, the Czech Republic, and Lithuania. In the meantime, Ukrainian troops continue to employ both older equipment and more modern, Western-supplied guns with better range and accuracy.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/g ... to-ukraine

The Leopard 1s are the latest tanks to be offered to Ukraine, but Germany first needs to secure sufficient ammunition for them.

... plans for a renewed transfer effort could be frustrated or at least slowed down by the main armament of the Leopard 1. According to Spiegel, “the problem of procuring ammunition is becoming increasingly urgent.”

Another report in the Süddeutsche Zeitung claims that Brazilian officials have already refused a request from the German government to sell it ammunition for the Leopard 1. The Brazilian Army continues to operate the Leopard 1A1 and 1A5 as its primary main battle tanks, with around 250 examples originally having been bought.

The German request was reportedly turned down on January 20, in the course of a meeting attended by Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, the then-Chief of the Armed Forces Gen. Júlio Cesar de Arruda, and Minister of Defense José Mucio. President Lula, who only recently took office, has so far sought to preserve Brazil’s cordial relations with Russia. At the same time, however, the SPD party of the German Chancellor Olaf Scholz also sees Lula as a close ally, with the ammunition issue potentially leading to a rift.

The Brazilian government has also refused to transfer stocks of 35mm ammunition for the German-made Gepard self-propelled anti-aircraft gun (SPAAG). Germany has already transferred 37 examples of the Gepard to Ukraine and the system has reportedly achieved considerable success in its air defense role.

While long out of production, the Leopard 1 served as the main West German main battle tank for most of the 1960s and 1970s, before being superseded by the Leopard 2, which has a new 120mm main gun. The last German Leopard 1s were withdrawn in 2003.

Despite its age, the Leopard 1 remains in limited service around the world, with operators in its original role including Brazil, Chile, Greece, and Turkey. Meanwhile, specialist versions of the Leopard 1, including armored recovery, bridge-layer, and combat engineer models, are more widely used, including by Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Italy, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.

Potentially, Leopard 1s and related variants could also be made available from some of these sources, as part of a broader collaborative effort to get them into Ukrainian hands, the same kind of initiative that is now expediting the Leopard 2 transfer. Further Leopard 1s could also be drawn from private contractors, like the OIP company in Belgium, which reportedly had around 50 of the tanks in its stocks as of this year.

In fact, 10 examples of the Leopard 1-derived Bergepanzer 2 armored recovery vehicle have already been delivered to Ukraine by Germany, with the potential for more and different specialist versions of the tank to be provided in the future.

Meanwhile, the Wisent 1 armored engineering vehicle, also based on the Leopard 1 chassis, is headed to Ukraine, too. Last week, U.K. defense contractor Pearson Engineering said it would be providing Ukraine this year with a “large quantity” of Full Width Mine Ploughs for integration on Wisent 1 vehicles. The Wisent 1 was developed to “flexibly, cost-effectively, efficiently and economically support the Leopard 2 main battle tank and other vehicles,” according to FFG, the firm that developed it.

The issue of securing ammunition, especially of older types, has come up repeatedly as Ukraine’s allies try and provide it with sufficient stocks. With the Gepard, the decision has been taken to set up a new ammunition production line in Germany.

It’s not clear if that might also be a possibility for the 105mm rounds, too, although there is generally lower demand for this type of ammunition anyway. That might lead Germany to look elsewhere, perhaps attempting to secure additional 105mm ammunition from Greece or Turkey, for example.

Until Berlin can guarantee a reliable source of ammunition for the Leopard 1, it remains possible that Ukraine will turn down the offer, despite its repeated demands for heavy armor, especially with a widely expected spring offensive that may well be critical to the outcome of the war.

While old, the Leopard 1 can undeniably still play a useful role on the battlefield, even if it were to be held back from the most critical offensives. Ukraine has also been willing to accept other older tanks, with several nations having provided Soviet-era tanks like the T-72, with the United States footing the bill for some of them.

There is still a question about how long it would take to deliver the Cold War-era Leopard 1s to Ukraine, but even more concerning is a possible ammunition bottleneck, especially as Brazil appears unwilling to move on the issue.

Overall, the story demonstrates again the importance of logistics and supply chains to Ukraine’s continued fighting ability. While much of the discourse, at the government level, as well as in the media, has focused on what types of weapons could or should be supplied to Kyiv, and what difference they could make, the saga of the Leopard 1 reveals just how easily such plans can be threatened as particular ammunition stocks become scarce.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.defenseone.com/business/202 ... ht/382711/[

Memo Details Effort to Boost Production of Weapons Sent to Ukraine

The Pentagon's top buyer offers a “targeted list” of weapons to help solve a problem decades in the making.

A Pentagon memo details steps to boost production of specialized air defenses, long-range missiles, and rockets whose stocks have dwindled as they are used in Ukraine—amid other behind-the-scenes steps being taken by defense officials, policymakers, and companies to ensure the U.S. military is adequately armed if the country gets directly involved in a conflict.

Pentagon officials have created a “targeted list for multi-year procurement [that] includes munitions that support Ukraine, our own needs, and other conflict scenarios,” Bill LaPlante, defense undersecretary for acquisition and sustainment, wrote in a January memo to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin.

LaPlante’s office is conducting “munitions industrial base deep dives focused on accelerating integrated air defense systems capabilities and expanding the long-range fires industrial base,” it said,

Ammunition-maker General Dynamics has been working with the Army to develop a plan “to increase our ammunition and projectile output,” CEO Phebe Novakovic said on the company’s quarterly earnings call last month.

We're not in the position we're in because Russia invaded Ukraine a year ago. We're in the position we're in for decisions that were made for years before that invasion.
\
The U.S. has sent thousands of weapons to Ukraine, including HIMARS launchers and the GMLRS rockets they fire; Javelin anti-tank weapons, shoulder-fired Stinger missiles, and the NASAMS system. Ukrainian forces have run quickly through them in their desperate battle to fight off the Russian invasion. The dwindling U.S. stocks reflect decades of decisions within the Pentagon and Congress to cut munition buys in favor of higher-priced aircraft, ships, and armored vehicles.

“I saw from the inside, the shortage of munitions we have right now is because we short munitions in the budget,” said Eric Fanning, a former Army secretary who is now CEO of the Aerospace Industries Association. “It's a bill-payer in the end—always has been.”

Fanning is among the defense-industry advocates scheduled to testify Wednesday before the House Armed Services Committee about the state of the defense industrial base. It’s the second hearing being held by the panel since Republicans took control of the House earlier this year.

“We're not in the position we're in because Russia invaded Ukraine a year ago,” Fanning said. “We're in the position we're in for decisions that were made for years before that invasion.”

Pentagon officials, including LaPlante himself, have pushed for more authority from Congress to sign multi-year munitions deals—in large part to persuade companies to invest in factories, the supply chain, and their workforces. They say these are necessary because unlike consumer products, weapons makers generally sell to just a single buyer: the U.S. government.

So far, officials have “channeled nearly $1 billion toward industrial base investments…in order to expand and accelerate production of key systems and munitions,” LaPlante’s January memo states.

But having factories that are able to quickly ramp up weapons production is something that can change overnight.

“We don't invest in having the industrial capacity that we might need,” Fanning said. “That's not necessarily a criticism, because that's a very expensive thing to do. To say, ‘I want four of those a month, but I want to be able to go to 12 overnight in case I need it,’ that's a different plant, and a different workforce, and a different supply chain, and a different cost.”

While new types of technology, such as advanced manufacturing and 3D printing, have potential to help speed up weapon making, there are a number of additional policy issues that officials must figure out.

“How do we prevent this from happening again? Right now, we budget for peace [and] we have processes for peace,” Fanning said. “It's too expensive to budget for war every single year whether [there is a war] or not. You have to be able to have surge [capacity], but you can't bake it into every contract. It’s just way too expensive. We need to figure out what [we] need to ramp up first and fastest.”

Complicating matters is high inflation—which has disproportionately affected small businesses—and supply chains that despite improving in recent months still have weak points. Executives have said throwing money at the issue can only go so far as it takes months, if not longer, to train new workers and get raw materials.

“When you look at the inflation, it's certainly everything: materials, transportation, parts, but it comes back to [the] workforce too, and inflation of wages.” Fanning said.
/quote]
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 pm

I did not say I believed it. I said it's plausible & technically detailed & feasible. Much of the world will believe it unless we convincingly refute it because we are the most likely suspect, thanks to Biden's & Nuland's threats. We had the motive, the means & the opportunity. What would Russia gain by doing it ? If they want to stop the flow, they just close the valves, as they already had done. So long as a Nordstream existed, there was the temptation for the EUroburghers to start buying cheaper Russian gas again, financing Russia & undermining ongoing support for Ukraine.
Russia gets to pretend they didn't do it...they were and are trying to scare the Europeans...make them sweat (and shiver).

Moreover, they seed the disinformation that the US did it, sowing division...which has always been their primary objective with disinformation.

I don't find it particularly "plausible" that Biden would have green lighted such an operation, way, way, way too much risk of blowback.

He's had the opposite objective as the Russians, to build trust.
Which, at least IMO, he's (and the Admin has) done rather masterfully, albeit with the backdrop of Russian invasion, war crimes and obvious lying.

I don't see this crew as likely to unilaterally take such an action which could blow such trust.

Could a rogue CIA group do something like this?...well, mebbe 'possible' but again, very highly unlikely.
old salt

Post by old salt »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:39 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:19 pm

Russia gets to pretend they didn't do it...they were and are trying to scare the Europeans...make them sweat (and shiver).

Moreover, they seed the disinformation that the US did it, sowing division...which has always been their primary objective with disinformation.

I don't find it particularly "plausible" that Biden would have green lighted such an operation, way, way, way too much risk of blowback.

He's had the opposite objective as the Russians, to build trust.
Which, at least IMO, he's (and the Admin has) done rather masterfully, albeit with the backdrop of Russian invasion, war crimes and obvious lying.

I don't see this crew as likely to unilaterally take such an action which could blow such trust.

Could a rogue CIA group do something like this?...well, mebbe 'possible' but again, very highly unlikely.
We need more transparency on the investigation of the underwater pipeline ruptures.
If the blast pattern on the ruptured pipes is outward, indicating an internal explosion, caused by explosive "pigs" sent through the pipeline, then Russia is the most likely suspect.

If the blast pattern indicates an external explosion caused by charges placed outside the pipeline, western suspects are most likely, with the US having the best capability. The ruptures are far from Russian waters in underwater areas closely monitored by Sweden & NATO allies.
The NATO exercise was perfect cover for such an operation.

The longer we wait in providing forensic evidence, the more likely the West & the US will be the prime suspects.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Russia's eastern offensive has begun.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgr ... ary-8-2023
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:39 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:53 pm
https://www.cjr.org/special_report/trum ... part-1.php

What follows is the story of Trump, Russia, and the press. Trump’s attacks against media outlets and individual reporters are a well-known theme of his campaigns. But news outlets and watchdogs haven’t been as forthright in examining their own Trump-Russia coverage, which includes serious flaws.

On the eve of a new era of intense political coverage, this is a look back at what the press got right, and what it got wrong, about the man who once again wants to be president. So far, few news organizations have reckoned seriously with what transpired between the press and the presidency during this period. That failure will almost certainly shape the coverage of what lies ahead.

Chapter 1: A narrative takes hold

As Trump began to nail down the GOP nomination in 2016, he spoke critically about NATO. He focused mostly on America’s disproportionate share of the financial burden, though he occasionally called the alliance “obsolete” in an era of counterterrorism and voiced his hope to “get along” with Putin, prompting some concerns inside the national-security world.

Those concerns would be supercharged by a small group of former journalists turned private investigators who operated out of a small office near Dupont Circle in Washington under the name Fusion GPS.

Trump, unaware of any plan to tie him to the Kremlin, pumped life into the sputtering Russia narrative. Asked about the DNC hacks by reporters at his Trump National Doral Miami golf resort on July 27, he said, “Russia, if you’re listening, I hope you’re able to find the thirty thousand emails that are missing.” The quip was picked up everywhere. Clinton national-security aide Jake Sullivan quickly seized on the remarks, calling them “a national-security issue.” The comment became a major exhibit over the next several years for those who believed Trump had an untoward relationship with Russia. Clinton’s own Russia baggage, meantime, began to fade into the background.

Hope Hicks, Trump’s press aide, later testified to Congress that she told Trump some in the media were taking his statement “quite literally” but that she believed it was “a joke.”

I asked Trump what he meant. “If you look at the whole tape,” he said in an interview, “it is obvious that it was being said sarcastically,” a point he made at the time.

I reviewed the tape. After several minutes of repeated questions about Russia, Trump’s facial demeanor evolved, to what seemed like his TV entertainer mode; that’s when, in response to a final Russia question, he said the widely quoted words. Then, appearing to be playful, he said the leakers “would probably be rewarded mightily by the press” if they found Clinton’s long-lost emails, because they contained “some beauties.” Trump, after talking with Hicks that day in Florida, sought to control the damage by tweeting that whoever had Clinton’s deleted emails “should share them with the FBI.”

That didn’t mute the response. Sullivan immediately jumped in, saying the remarks at Doral encouraged “espionage.”

The 2016 dossier’s conspiracy claim was never corroborated by the media, and the supposed plot involving the Russian bank, Alfa Bank, didn’t fare much better. Still, that fall Fritsch made frantic efforts to persuade reporters from several outlets, including Isikoff, to publish the bank story. Their best hope appeared to be the Times.

The Clinton campaign, in mid-September, was eagerly anticipating a “bombshell” story on “Trump-Russia” from the Times. It was causing a “Trump freak out,” headlined a private September 18 memo by Sidney Blumenthal, a longtime close Clinton confidant.

In early October, the intelligence community put out a brief statement concluding that Russia had been behind the recent hacks, a pattern of behavior “not new to Moscow.” But, the report continued, it would be “extremely difficult,” even for a nation-state, to alter voter ballots or election data.

The report was quickly lost in a frenzied news cycle.

... It also noted the FBI believed the hacking operation “was aimed at disrupting the presidential election rather than electing Mr. Trump.

That Halloween night the Clinton campaign, anticipating the imminent publication of the Alfa Bank story, was prepared to “light it up,” Fritsch emailed a reporter that morning. Another story Fusion helped arrange appeared that day, too, in the left-leaning magazine Mother Jones. It said a “veteran spy” had provided the FBI information about an alleged five-year Russian operation to cultivate and coordinate with Trump. That came from Steele’s dossier. Within hours, the FBI contacted Steele, who “confirmed” he had been a source for the article. After working with the bureau for several months as a confidential informant on the Russia inquiry, he was terminated by the FBI, bureau documents show.

At 8:36 at night on October 31, the campaign lit up, as Fritsch promised, on Twitter. Hillary tweeted out a statement by Jake Sullivan about “Trump’s secret line of communication to Russia.” Her aide only cited the Slate story on Alfa Bank.

Clinton had also been aware of the Times’ unpublished story. She hoped it “would push the Russia story onto the front burner of the election,” but was “crestfallen” when an aide showed her the headline...

In December, President Obama secretly ordered a quick assessment by the intelligence community of Russia’s involvement in the election. Instead of the usual group of seventeen agencies, however, it was coordinated by the Director of National Intelligence and produced by the National Security Agency, which gathers electronic intercepts, the CIA, and the FBI.

In mid-December the Post reported that the FBI now backed the CIA view that Russia aimed to help Trump win the election, compared with a broader set of motivations, as the Times had reported on October 31. Strzok, the FBI official running the probe, texted a colleague about the unprecedented wave of leaks: “our sisters have been leaking like mad,” he wrote, referring to intelligence agencies like the CIA. Strzok now believes the leaks originated elsewhere. “I now believe,” he told me in a 2022 interview, “that it is more likely they came not from the CIA but from senior levels of the US government or Congress.”

Trump, unaware of the coming tornado, including the most salacious contents of the dossier, set out to form a government and make peace with the press. He made the rounds of news organizations, meeting with broadcast anchors, editors at Condé Nast magazines, and the Times.

A note on disclosure

Has America ever needed a media watchdog more than now? Help us by joining CJR today.

Jeff Gerth is a freelance journalist who spent three decades as an investigative reporter at the New York Times.
:shock: ...the sound of crickets chirping in this forum is deafening.
People with the time and energy to respond and "strike up the crickets" REFUTE and dismantle Jeff Gerth's seres in the CJR:

The Blind Spot of CJR's "Russiagate" [SIC] narrative

It's complex and in-depth. Not reading for the faint of heart. Needless to say, those that were chirping about "crickets" had it all wrong (again) and fell for the Gerth piece, with all its failings and obfuscations...

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes

Return to “POLITICS”