Ohio State - 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Wheels

Re: Ohio State - 2023

Post by Wheels »

Asgot wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:44 am OSU can make noise in the Big Ten as they have several plug-and-play transfers and play Rutgers at home. Lewis and Lacalandra are going to be key pieces in the offense. while I do not think they are at UMD's level they certainly will compete with Rutgers for that second spot.
I think they're going to finish 2nd in the conference. They had MD in the 1st half of their regular season game. Myers was having a day. Their defense was playing really well.

Getting Hudgins was huge for them. Their goalie play improved a lot last year, too.
B10KeepsGrowing

Post by B10KeepsGrowing »

This forum has clarified for me the lack of love and tradition for OSU. They won opening day and looked amazing, predicted to be top 10 and a darkhorse final 4 but no one wants to talk about them. They can't even get past page 3 on this forum board! Just commenting to move them up to page one :-)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

It’ll pick up for the UNC game.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

B10KeepsGrowing wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 pm This forum has clarified for me the lack of love and tradition for OSU. They won opening day and looked amazing, predicted to be top 10 and a darkhorse final 4 but no one wants to talk about them. They can't even get past page 3 on this forum board! Just commenting to move them up to page one :-)
Was there something noteworthy re the win over Air Force?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Well, a certain freshman had 1 goal this weekend and he is all over the news. Meanwhile, Jack Myers went 4 and 5 and there is hardly a peep. I think he needs to hire a social media consultant.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

People are watching Myers, for sure,

IL et al notwithstanding.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Jack Myers was literally a 2nd Team All-American on IL’s preseason team. Respectfully what are y’all talking about
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:59 pm
B10KeepsGrowing wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:55 pm This forum has clarified for me the lack of love and tradition for OSU. They won opening day and looked amazing, predicted to be top 10 and a darkhorse final 4 but no one wants to talk about them. They can't even get past page 3 on this forum board! Just commenting to move them up to page one :-)
Hobart transfer Drew Blanchard went 22/26 on FO and probably could’ve done as well in 22 as Inacio.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
B10KeepsGrowing

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:21 am
Hobart transfer Drew Blanchard went 22/26 on FO and probably could’ve done as well in 22 as Inacio.
Was going to say something similar (its only one game but Faceoffs were seen as a problem for this team) as well as the fact that with many transfers they looked cohesive on both sides of the ball. They will only get better. They have obscene depth and Myers is unreal! Also as my user name indicates I loved to see the Big 10 do well as a conference. Good to see dominant wins across the board against Jacksonville (Who many see as top 15), Richmond ( who is always a good team) and Lafayette (up and coming). This will all pay benefits in RPI and end of year. Now can Michigan beat Virginia ;-)
lorin

Post by lorin »

B10KeepsGrowing wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 pm
Was going to say something similar (its only one game but Faceoffs were seen as a problem for this team) as well as the fact that with many transfers they looked cohesive on both sides of the ball. They will only get better. They have obscene depth and Myers is unreal! Also as my user name indicates I loved to see the Big 10 do well as a conference. Good to see dominant wins across the board against Jacksonville (Who many see as top 15), Richmond ( who is always a good team) and Lafayette (up and coming). This will all pay benefits in RPI and end of year. Now can Michigan beat Virginia ;-)
Jacksonville look like a bottom 15 team
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

B10KeepsGrowing wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 pm
I had pegged OSU as #2 this year with a solid goalie returning, couple new kids including Hudgins, Myers and other core OSU kids plus the two Hobart kids coming back. Knox was seen to be more impactful but Blanchard may be moreso as it’s clear Knox is a pure scorer 3rd option type who’ll give them 20-30 goals but not take over any games.

RPI help not sure on Richmond and Jax as of now. Mich will not beat UVA.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OSU doesn’t have any of the A-10 teams this year.

Though if you’re projecting A-10 scheduling boosts, I’m pretty sure their rankings/ratings will look a whole lot better later - UMass, Saint Joe’s, Richmond.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:15 pm OSU doesn’t have any of the A-10 teams this year.

Though if you’re projecting A-10 scheduling boosts, I’m pretty sure their rankings/ratings will look a whole lot better later - UMass, Saint Joe’s, Richmond.
I was responding to the prior comment on some of those big ten wins helping rpi later in the season. Maybe hard to say on Jax and Richmond as of now. We expect them to be solid but if Jax blows its whole OOC and has a good record built on lower SOS won’t be an rpi help for opponents. Richmond should be but a lot of moving parts.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Jax is not likely to be an RPI booster for the conference. They were #25 last year and that included a game against Denver and two against Richmond. Their schedule this year is an even bigger debacle. They may have to beat Duke again and go undefeated from here on out for it to matter. Richmond's is a lot more likely to hold up IMO.
B10KeepsGrowing

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 3:45 pm Jax is not likely to be an RPI booster for the conference. They were #25 last year and that included a game against Denver and two against Richmond. Their schedule this year is an even bigger debacle. They may have to beat Duke again and go undefeated from here on out for it to matter. Richmond's is a lot more likely to hold up IMO.
Well Jax did beat Duke again so the RPI booster is there. As for OSU, another great win but they definitely a better offense to prevail against Virginia. As for their defense, WOW! cant wait to see the Va offense vs the OSU defense. Should be a fun game.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Beating Duke was a must. Problem is that the rest of their schedule is not great and could very much hamper them in the RPI. However it’s not impossible that they run the table and the ASUN is putting together some decent weeks OOC. Could bump Jacksonville up from where they were last year.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Article from 2021. Bobby Van Buren is a seemingly impressive kid. https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/high-sch ... ss-of-2021
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
B10KeepsGrowing

This is a very tented team and clearly they will go as far as their defense will take them. Down 6-5 at half it was clear that Virginia was the better team but goalie and defensive play was impressive. I expected UVa to come out and beat them in the second half but I was hoping the game was a wee bit closer. What concerns me the most is the offense. I realize UVa has ALOT more talent but the lack of ball movement by OSU is very concerning. Its as if they try to go one on one every possession. They need to change this and get more ball movement and look for others other than Jack Meyers. This can be a very productive season and be a final 8 or final 4 team but need to get the offense rolling. They scored only 8 vs UNC and now 6 vs UVA.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it was 7-4 @ the half. who are going to be the top 1 or 2 contributors on offense besides myers for the buckeyes (skewed for att/mid position)?
B10KeepsGrowing

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:33 am it was 7-4 @ the half. who are going to be the top 1 or 2 contributors on offense besides myers for the buckeyes (skewed for att/mid position)?
As to halftime score you are correct. I believe they had the ball losing 6-4 with about a minute left and remember thinking if they score it will be 6-5. Wishful thinking :-) I think the loss of sophomore Ari Allen is a big setback. He was an excellent freshman last year. I also think this is where too many transfers can be unhealthy. I think trying to get 3/4 transfers into the offense is tough BUT I think the transfers are talented players. They brought in what is or was projected to be 3 new starters on offense and I thought they could have a greater impact but it goes to show that too much of a good thing can potentially have the opposite effect (Borda, Lewis, Lacalandra). But I still think they are too reliant on Myers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”