D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:06 pm Finlay Thomson, behind the back,

------------------------------
finlay-thomson-behindtheback.jpg
Thomson had an exceptional debut.

Don’t understand all of this criticism of Spallina in his first collegiate game. One of his earliest plays was a pass from x right on the mark to a teammate dodging to the net. Teammate should have scored.

No doubt Spallina forced things a bit at times, but he put 8 shots on goal.

I’m certain Coach Gait doesn’t want Spallina taking 15 shots a game unless he’s going to put at least a third of them in the net. I think Spallina will settle in and play his role at x.

In the meantime, it’s kind of silly getting upset at a freshman who generated a lot of offense in his first game. The coaches will get him to throttle down a bit. Heck, the major problem with many freshman offensive players is getting them to open up and be more aggressive (classic case, Kyle Harrison his first couple of seasons). Would love to have a freshman attackman whose main problem is acting like Cocaine Bear. Easier to throttle down than throttle up.

Bottom line, Spallina and Thomson are obviously very talented. Don’t think you’ll have much to complain about with that pair.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

DocBarrister wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:46 pm

Would love to have a freshman attackman whose main problem is acting like Cocaine Bear.

😂
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

I’m certain Coach Gait doesn’t want Spallina taking 15 shots a game unless he’s going to put at least a third of them in the net. I think Spallina will settle in and play his role at x.
Yep. He'll realize that he doesn't have to be the only offensive threat, and when he understands that passing the ball to Hiltz will result in goals, that'll make him and Syracuse that much more dangerous. Not a great first game by any stretch but to write him off based on one game is silly.
DocBarrister

Coach Gait on Joey “the Cocaine Bear” Spallina

Post by DocBarrister »

Joey Spallina went shot-crazy in Syracuse’s win over Vermont. Gary Gait says ‘the goals will come’

… Spallina was also struggling with the classic rookie trait of trying a bit too hard.

“I think when you stop focusing on trying to score, which clearly he was, the goals will come to ya,” Gait said. “And the opportunities will come ‘cause they won’t be forced. That’s just being young and being inexperienced.

“There’s a lot of pressure on him to be a super star from day one. I think he’s just gotta play his game, and when he understands that, he’ll have a lot more success.”

https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... utType=amp

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Finster

Post by Finster »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:07 pm
Yep. He'll realize that he doesn't have to be the only offensive threat, and when he understands that passing the ball to Hiltz will result in goals, that'll make him and Syracuse that much more dangerous. Not a great first game by any stretch but to write him off based on one game is silly.

Is anyone here aware that we are discussing a freshman? Do you really think a freshman should think he's the 'only offensive threat'? I don't know if you've heard, but the rest of the Cuse squad doesn't actually stink. In fact, we have a graduate attackman by the name of Alex Simons who was the 3rd leading scorer on Denver the last two years.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Don’t understand all of this criticism of Spallina in his first collegiate game. One of his earliest plays was a pass from x right on the mark to a teammate dodging to the net. Teammate should have scored.

In the meantime, it’s kind of silly getting upset at a freshman who generated a lot of offense in his first game. The coaches will get him to throttle down a bit. Heck, the major problem with many freshman offensive players is getting them to open up and be more aggressive (classic case, Kyle Harrison his first couple of seasons). Would love to have a freshman attackman whose main problem is acting like Cocaine Bear. Easier to throttle down than throttle up.

Bottom line, Spallina and Thomson are obviously very talented. Don’t think you’ll have much to complain about with that pair.

DocBarrister

The criticism of Spallina is not so much about his 'goals scored', but rather two things: 1: recruiting: when any player takes 15 shots, recruits look at that and say 'man, not much room for me there the next three years, to heck with Cuse', and 2: arrogance: when you score a goal against UVM (UVM!!!, and I don't care if it's the first or last goal of your career), you don't glory-sprint into the open field like you just conquered Rome by your lonesome, forgetting the teammates that helped you score.

I'm suss on this kid, plus the way Gait is handling him (probably more the latter - I would NOT have given him #22 if just to tell the Dad "I'm the boss here, not you, freshman parent").
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well, you've swirled enough dirt around about this kid's first outing to have created some nice dunes from mole hills, Finster, keep piling it on and soon you will have built mountains.
1. No middie, GK, FOGO, D man, is going to want to come to Cuse because a bit of an overzealous freshman took 15 shots in his first outing (would have if Dordevic did though). Got it. I've got to wonder if they noticed Thomson's, Birtwistle's, Hilt's, Simmons', and a few others play on the field, or if they only saw Spallina's 15 shots. They probably didn't see the should have been assists passes he threw either, eh?
2. Not one person other than the one you see in your mirror gives a schidt whether you would have given Spallina #22 or not. It's a done deal, get over it. Look on the bright side, it gives you sooooo much reason to jump all over this kid every time he doesn't make a perfect play or play a flawless game.
3. Don't get your nuts all twisted up about how Gary is going to handle Spallina, I have a whole lot more confidence in him than I do you. I very much like what I've seen from Gary this year so far. Did you watch his post game presser or media day videos? If not, give them a look, they might relax you a little bit.
4. You watch any wlax? Ever see any after goal celebrations by the two time T Award winning Charolette North? BFD, Joey's after goal celebration was not to your liking. Good news there is, it's sure given you big pile of dirt to keep building that mountain you're hell bent on building. Time to move on to Albany and see how the freshman does in his second game.
5. Phone number for you, 315-443-4390 extension 4390. Give Gary a call, am sure he'll listen to your advice.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

Finster wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am The criticism of Spallina is not so much about his 'goals scored', but rather two things: 1: recruiting: when any player takes 15 shots, recruits look at that and say 'man, not much room for me there the next three years, to heck with Cuse',
Man, 15 shots a game by one player is SO MUCH. Good thing Spallina, Thomson, et al didn't look at any games from last year, or the year before. Who would want to come to Cuse if that was the case???
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:59 am 5. Phone number for you, 315-443-4390 extension 4390. Give Gary a call, am sure he'll listen to your advice.
Just called Gary. He said Finster is spot on.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Finster wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:58 am

DocBarrister

The criticism of Spallina is not so much about his 'goals scored', but rather two things: 1: recruiting: when any player takes 15 shots, recruits look at that and say 'man, not much room for me there the next three years, to heck with Cuse', and 2: arrogance: when you score a goal against UVM (UVM!!!, and I don't care if it's the first or last goal of your career), you don't glory-sprint into the open field like you just conquered Rome by your lonesome, forgetting the teammates that helped you score.

I'm suss on this kid, plus the way Gait is handling him (probably more the latter - I would NOT have given him #22 if just to tell the Dad "I'm the boss here, not you, freshman parent").
If I were a HS lax player, I might say, “Cool, Coach Gait starts a freshman … and lets him take 15 shots!”

I mean, what kid wouldn’t want that?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3LNZ7NCeQI

Full game, but the video quality is poor.

I'm watching the game for the first time. Spallina has held the ball a little long a couple times, but the last couple possessions towards the end of the 1st quarter he hasn't held it long. SU hasn't scored but they've gotten good looks on cage. When the 2nd middie line of Cook, Kirst and Rhoa was on, the whole unit generated a couple good shots. Hiltz was a big part of that finding skip passes. Simmons has held the ball a little bit long.

Clears have been a little suspect.

SU D has caused some turnovers with good smart, stick checks. If that keeps up, they might turn out to be pretty good.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Love it, ohmi, interested in hearing your thoughts after having read all about JS's pitiful first outing.
How'd the freshman's first drive to the cage and shot look to you just a couple of minutes into his first game?
DMac

Post by DMac »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:09 pm

If I were a HS lax player, I might say, “Cool, Coach Gait starts a freshman … and lets him take 15 shots!”

DocBarrister
Finster's.

You're seeing it right, Doc.
Liked what I saw from the
D coach's boys...gotta love
that, eh?
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:17 pm Love it, ohmi, interested in hearing your thoughts after having read all about JS's pitiful first outing.
How'd the freshman's first drive to the cage and shot look to you just a couple of minutes into his first game?
Spallina's first shot came from a good inside roll and I hope he makes that play a lot. He'll score on that move a few times this season. I only got thru the first quarter. I will keep watching and post my thoughts.

It seems that the way Gait wants to play (at least on offense), and I'm sure we all have a little different idea of what that is, but I will call it position-less, free flowing offense with the ball moving fast, will take some time to click. Chemistry will have to develop over the course of the season. Benching guys right away seems like something that would hurt chemistry at this point. Personnel still may be an issue, but I think they're getting closer to having the kind of players they want and need to play that way. Hiltz is certainly a good fit for it and Finn Thomson seems a good fit too. In the first quarter both Michael Leo and Luke Rhoa drew a slide and moved the ball, so that was good to see. Griffin Cook might actually work well in this offense, if he can make some mid range shots and make quick decisions with the ball. He's accustomed to playing above and below the goal, drawing slides and playing unselfishly.

I preferred Thomson's cross-handed (is that what we call it?) assist to Birtwistle over his BTB assist to Simmons. The one to JB was on the run and kind of a long pass to make like that and it was right on the money.
DMac

Post by DMac »

No disagreement so far. I did like the BTB pass from Simmons...precision, ball was put right where it needed to be put, just had to catch and shoot. All good though.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:26 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:09 pm

DocBarrister
Finster's.

You're seeing it right, Doc.
Liked what I saw from the
D coach's boys...gotta love
that, eh?
I guess Petro hasn’t forgotten how to coach defense after all.

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

If GG can get his O guys to move off-ball, they'll cause problems. Just hope they stand around vs Hobart!!
DMac

Post by DMac »

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Trivia question: When was the last time the 'D coach' had a goalie, any goalie, save 72% ?

What's the outcome of that game had the tender saved the average of any of his tenders in the past 5 years?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Stumped on the trivia question, best I can come up with is a loooong time ago.
Vermont GK had a heck of a day too....23 SOG by Cuse, 16 saves.
Vermont put 18 on cage, 13 saves by Mark.
The score of this one could easily have been much different,
Cuse D comes into play here too, was pretty good.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”