Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by DMac »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 pm I mean, he's a college player now and we're discussing college lacrosse. "People want to jump all over this kid" from the guy who had a bordering on personal issue with some of the guys who have since moved on is pretty ironic.
Feels to me as if people were locked and loaded just hoping to fire criticism at the new target if he didn't score ten goals and have five assists (or better yet, 10 assists and five goals), I'm giving him a chance beyond the first game of his freshman year.
I have never liked his father and didn't like all the hype about JS being the next anointed superstar coming to Cuse. Frankly, I paid little attention to it.
Nothing personal about any player. Dordevic was/is a ball hog who choked the offense....there would be no complaining were it he who took his usual 15+ shots. Nothing personal, just the facts.
First game, it's overreaction time, a whole lot yet to be seen.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:46 pm Not to mention they're inviting scrutiny by gifting the kid a special jersey before he stepped foot on campus. The program set those expectations. That's their prerogative but it's silly to then play victim when he gets criticized for a rough game. I think he's going to be absolutely fine, by the way. I'd much rather see a freshman shooting too much than playing scared or hesitant.
Yep. The #22 is kind of silly. Maryland’s approach to who wears #1 for them is better. Glad to see a defender wear it this season.
“I wish you would!”
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 pm I mean, he's a college player now and we're discussing college lacrosse. None of the criticism was over the line or incorrect really. He did take too many shots and forced things a bit; but it was his first game and he was understandably very amped up. You'd imagine he'll start to work his teammates into things more and get involved in the flow of the offense with more games, but that is indeed what he'll have to do to be the main X attackmen.

"People want to jump all over this kid" from the guy who had a bordering on personal issue with some of the guys who have since moved on is pretty ironic.
Ya I agree, criticism comes with the territory at this level, I am sure Joey understands it and will use it to keep improving. Give Vermont credit they had him scouted well and I think surprised him by not sliding to him most of the time. Vermont goalie also made 2 or 3 great saves on him. He was clearly amped up and tried to do to much. I suspect he will have a good couple of games this week.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

JeremyCuse wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:06 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:38 pm I mean, he's a college player now and we're discussing college lacrosse. None of the criticism was over the line or incorrect really. He did take too many shots and forced things a bit; but it was his first game and he was understandably very amped up. You'd imagine he'll start to work his teammates into things more and get involved in the flow of the offense with more games, but that is indeed what he'll have to do to be the main X attackmen.

"People want to jump all over this kid" from the guy who had a bordering on personal issue with some of the guys who have since moved on is pretty ironic.
Ya I agree, criticism comes with the territory at this level, I am sure Joey understands it and will use it to keep improving. Give Vermont credit they had him scouted well and I think surprised him by not sliding to him most of the time.
Why would they slide to him? There is a big difference running around some LI Jabroni and a D1 athlete. Until he shows he can beat his man at this level he will get played straight up.
Finster

Post by Finster »

flalax22 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:50 pm

Ya I agree, criticism comes with the territory at this level, I am sure Joey understands it and will use it to keep improving. Give Vermont credit they had him scouted well and I think surprised him by not sliding to him most of the time.
Why would they slide to him? There is a big difference running around some LI Jabroni and a D1 athlete. Until he shows he can beat his man at this level he will get played straight up.

Yup.

If your alarm bells aren't going off right now, I don't know what to tell you.

I'm not so upset that Joey didn't score more than one goal, but rather the coaches watched him take 15 shots without pulling him.

Are you even kidding me? Maryland's Murphy (arguably their top offensive threat) took 9 shots yesterday...he's a proven, seasoned player.

The team is fortunate to start the season with three straight home games...that's all.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Hofstra down 9--2 to Merrimack at end of 3q? Thought the Pride be a better team given the local talent but guess the top layer goes elsewhere .

Cuse offense sputtered some but also could have easily have registered double digits if not for Vermont goalie who showed great reactions. Same could be said for Vermont who were stifled by Marks on several shots. Marks is going to face much better offenses in a few weeks but good saves are good saves. Goaltending and fogos have a outsized impact on games. Cuse fogos did good job against one of the better logos which is very encouraging for seasons prospects .

Spallina was very hyped and wears #22 which going to expose him to criticism. He'll get applauded once he settles down. Dordevic is a exceptional talent who can take any defender . He and a few others had to carry a very heavy load last year with a mediocre supporting cast . Do not deem 11 shots a game excessive, expect him to do very well with Hoyas.

Gait ball or whatever its called is suppose to emphasize quick ball movement and ideals of Canadian skillsets . Teased by Holy Cross opener last year, rarely saw that and did not see any top pass and catch skills in this years opener which will be needed aster is a dropoff in team speed especially noted at midfield and in transition. . Hiltz possesses great skills and Thomson and Birtwhistle do as well . Spallina will as well at X once the wrinkles are smoothed.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Drop off in tram speed… who is going to force the slide… was a question asked by a former player not long ago.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Just for the record, the goalie's name is Will Mark. Not Marks (or Marx). If he's going to be your goalie at least get his name right.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Ketch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:41 pm Just for the record, the goalie's name is Will Mark. Not Marks (or Marx). If he's going to be your goalie at least get his name right.
thomson's name is gonna be spelled wrong a gagillon times. i'm surprised anyone gets birtwhistle(sic). z made it easy on everyone.
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:45 pm i'm surprised anyone gets birtwhistle(sic). z made it easy on everyone.
:lol:
I won't do it again.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:11 pm

Yup.

I'm not so upset that Joey didn't score more than one goal, but rather the coaches watched him take 15 shots without pulling him.

Are you even kidding me? Maryland's Murphy (arguably their top offensive threat) took 9 shots yesterday...he's a proven, seasoned player.

The team is fortunate to start the season with three straight home games...that's all.
Everyone needs to take a deep breath. It was his first college game, he was gripping the stick a little tight. If his first shot goes, it is a completely different game for him. He easily could have had 4/5 goals. Ran into a hot goalie and didnt have some bounces go his way. He was generating good looks and he will be fine.

- The Chosen1
FairLax

Post by FairLax »

Chosen, could not agree with you more. Pressure on this young man is insane, some of it brought on by him some by others, regardless, give him a couple of games to get his feet under him and am sure he will not disappoint. SU is going to be super fun to watch this year and expect them to get better and better as the year progresses and the freshman gain some much needed game experience.
DMac

Post by DMac »

chosen1lax wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 am

Yup.

Everyone needs to take a deep breath. It was his first college game, he was gripping the stick a little tight. If his first shot goes, it is a completely different game for him. He easily could have had 4/5 goals. Ran into a hot goalie and didnt have some bounces go his way. He was generating good looks and he will be fine.

- The Chosen1
Dead nuts on the money.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

chosen1lax wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:49 am

Yup.

- The Chosen1
Good post, couldn't agree more. Just to note its a very small % of people who are actually concerned about Spallina after 1 game. I think most people realize expecting a true frosh in his first game to look like Mike Powell is simply unrealistic. Tons of Freshmen saw their first minutes on Saturday, gonna take sometime to get everyone up to speed and playing like they are capable of. This team offensively should look night and day as the season progresses.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I don't remember seeing Joey get stripped by his defender? Granted his shots were rushed and many off the mark, but he got to the goal pretty much every time. Someone questioned why the coaches "didn't pull him"? Perhaps they saw what everyone saw: UVM wasn't sliding to him and he was getting topside..once he calms himself, the goals will come--GG said as much in his presser.
OldRedLax

Post by OldRedLax »

I think Spallina will improve. However, as someone who has followed his career since high school, he has always been the type to want his points, and it can be frustrating to watch. Even when he finally found the net against Vermont, he celebrated all by himself (It was a big goal and his first in college, so I get the excitement). Overall, he is definitely too talented for any of you to say he is a bust after one game lol, just a total overreaction. I do however think he will need to mature and change his game to find similar success from HS.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

lorin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 am
Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am 1 for 15 shooting, wearing #22. SMH. Daddy’s hype machine ain’t going to fix that type of performance.
The dad is a tool, but if you watched game has I did you can tell he is going to be good, but an X man playing with the talent he has around him should never have 15 shots. Plus eventually he has to go left more.
He clearly has the green light. He didn't change his approach at any point. The staff never tried to reel him in, take him out, or put him somewhere else. Exactly what I would expect from Gary. How long that lasts is a different story. And while the Vermont goalie was fine; don't mistake what happened for AA goalie play. 10-12 of those shots were not quality looks.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Ketch wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:41 pm Just for the record, the goalie's name is Will Mark. Not Marks (or Marx). If he's going to be your goalie at least get his name right.
Between dropping an "s" and adding an "s" this is all too confusing.
DMac

Post by DMac »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:43 am I don't remember seeing Joey get stripped by his defender? Granted his shots were rushed and many off the mark, but he got to the goal pretty much every time. Someone questioned why the coaches "didn't pull him"? Perhaps they saw what everyone saw: UVM wasn't sliding to him and he was getting topside..once he calms himself, the goals will come--GG said as much in his presser.
Nope, never got stripped, had two TOs in the game both of which I think were in the crease calls. His first shot misses the cage and he ends up in the crease, I'll take that shot 100% of the time. Think the second one was the same and I'd take that shot 100% of the time too. He easily could have had three assists too. Hit a wide open Birtwistle on the doorstep from behind the cage, Birtwistle misses the cage. Did the same with a couple of cutters coming through who collide and fall down. That wasn't on JS, it was Cook and someone else who collide...that's a goal without the collision. Hits a cutting Hiltz who gets off a nice BTB shot but misses the cage. Based on what you see here, Joey got the ball and went to the cage every time he touched it. Just aint the case.
Finster

Post by Finster »

OldRedLax wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:13 am I think Spallina will improve. However, as someone who has followed his career since high school, he has always been the type to want his points, and it can be frustrating to watch. Even when he finally found the net against Vermont, he celebrated all by himself (It was a big goal and his first in college, so I get the excitement). Overall, he is definitely too talented for any of you to say he is a bust after one game lol, just a total overreaction. I do however think he will need to mature and change his game to find similar success from HS.

^^Good post...one of the few here so far.

A couple of bones to pick with the board:

1. Gait said in the press conference that he wants Spallina to be more of a standard X assist guy. Are we under the impression that in all of Fall ball and preseason, that Gait didn't stress to Spallina that that was his role, not to fire off 15 solo shots? Because if Gary did stress that, then Spallina went rogue in his very first game; if Gary didn't stress that, then I'm equally concerned because apparently we're running our offense on the fly now. So which is it, fellas?

2. Why didn't Gary at least pull the kid for a few minutes to tell him to dump the ball off once in a while? Let someone else go in for a few and see what they can do. The kids on Cuse's bench aren't exactly chump change. A humbling bench trip can do wonders for any player.

3. If you played college ball and a freshman came on the very first game and fired 15 shots and had one goal to show for it, most teammates would be supremely hacked off. Hero-ball might work in high school or if you play for Lars Tiffany; otherwise this is a team sport.

4. The solo celebration on the one goal says a lot. It should you, too. ayfkm...

I swear, sometimes I feel our fans are as delusional as the Hopkins fans. Why refrain from calling out bad play...the dad has been in an open arms race with Millon's dad in Baltimore to see who can hype their kid the most/worst. Do not under any circumstance excuse it. The solo celebration...jfc.

I'm gonna start pulling for Hobart, Army, Colgate, or St. Lawrence if this stuff continues.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”