Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by rolldodge »

He played like a freshman, which he is -- so maybe he gets a pass on this one. If he starts learning the lessons about what it takes to play at D1 level, and gets Hiltz more involved, this will be a very dynamic offense.

Cuse can thank Will Mark for that win. Defense was much improved also.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

It takes a lot to even get 15 shots off in a game. :lol: Spallina has some skills, no doubt, but he’ll have to figure out how to better apply them. I really like how Gait answered the first question at the press conference. He knew the question was coming and started to smile. He didn’t give Spallina a pass but he didn’t come close to criticizing him either.

We shall see how good he is after few weeks of play. He was a bit “overzealous” yesterday. That’s a nice way of putting it.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:19 am He played like a freshman, which he is -- so maybe he gets a pass on this one. If he starts learning the lessons about what it takes to play at D1 level, and gets Hiltz more involved, this will be a very dynamic offense.

Good, objective and IMO accurate post.

As for Spallina... when he did manage (basically unguarded) to sneak one past the solid VT goal keeper, his dance was unwarranted. "Act like you've been there before" comes to mind, especially after taking weak, poor-angle, and bad-placement shots in the double-digits.

That said, I hope the best for the kid and obviously want to see him play very well.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

tech37 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:36 am
rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:19 am He played like a freshman, which he is -- so maybe he gets a pass on this one. If he starts learning the lessons about what it takes to play at D1 level, and gets Hiltz more involved, this will be a very dynamic offense.

Good, objective and IMO accurate post.

As for Spallina... when he did manage (basically unguarded) to sneak one past the solid VT goal keeper, his dance was unwarranted. "Act like you've been there before" comes to mind, especially after taking weak, poor-angle, and bad-placement shots in the double-digits.

That said, I hope the best for the kid and obviously want to see him play very well.
Running arms wide away from his teammates to the midfield after tying a game versus Vermont is about what I expected.
wrapcheque

Post by wrapcheque »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:50 am Dear JMA Wireless Dome announcer,
Note the spelling here, Johns Hopkins, that's pronounced just the way it's spelled. Twice yesterday you announced that Mike Powell's #22 jersey is going to be retired on March 11th when Syracuse plays John Hopkins. You're not the announcer at a Bourne, Texas youth league game, you're the announcer in the Dome in Syracuse, fer christ sakes! I'm hoping that the D coach came up and had a word or two with you after the game but in case he didn't let me spell it out for you again....Johns Hopkins, and the S in Johns is not silent.
Oi vey,
DMac
Isn't that how Simmie always said it to just get under JHU'ers skin? Maybe it was intentional?
Nah, they wouldn't do that in the Dome. :D
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Henpecked wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:30 am It takes a lot to even get 15 shots off in a game. :lol: Spallina has some skills, no doubt, but he’ll have to figure out how to better apply them. I really like how Gait answered the first question at the press conference. He knew the question was coming and started to smile. He didn’t give Spallina a pass but he didn’t come close to criticizing him either.

We shall see how good he is after few weeks of play. He was a bit “overzealous” yesterday. That’s a nice way of putting it.
Agree. Too early to make any determination, but sure sounds like a ball hog, but there is a teaching moment in that..........Spallina has mad skills, but there were some questions about having average athleticism as a recruit. The size, reach & athleticism of ACC defenders and intricacies of D1 defenses may take some adjustment.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mark has come a long way, from Danville CA, Monte Vista High
(NorCal).
The one thing about Mark, consistent improvement, he was a bit
of an afterthought versus some other NorCal recruits, he PG’d
which helped, then somehow ended up at LIU - which is definitely
not your usual NorCal lacrosse recruit destination.
But, fortunate for Syracuse.
DMac

Post by DMac »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvztfPYcsQ
I think Gary says a lot here, particularly last year v this year. I like the '23 version of Coach Gait much better than the '22 version. The '22 version must have been, I'm just going to sit back and watch and let this play out. Not this year, different coach on the sidelines, much more involved. He was very good with the girls, think he's going to be with the boys too. He sees what's happening out there and I'm confident he'll get the best he can out of his team. I'm not as disappointed with JS's play as many seem to be, there's a lot of talent there. Yes, he took ill advised shots and too many (was okay with most when Dordevic did that and they lost though) but I'll give the freshman playing his first game in the Dome a pass here, had to have been all kinds of hyped up and nervous. Hence, just tried to do too much, think Gary will pull the reins in on him and he'll turn out to be a good one. The goal he did score was a big one, much needed to tie the game at 5, gotta like a player who steps up like that
Cuse took 44 shots, 23 were on goal. Vermont took 35, 18 were on cage. Both GKs were really good in the cage, both made some really nice saves, this could easily have been a much higher scoring game than it was.
Was a pretty physical game at times, no backing down by the Cuse boys (Vermont boys either). Cuse loses the face off battle (not by much though, couldn't be completely disappointed there) and wins the game...imagine that. ;)
Last edited by DMac on Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:09 pm https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQ7eswHqtqQ
Is it me or is the volume very low?????
DMac

Post by DMac »

It's not you, yes, the volume is low but you can hear it.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvztfPYcsQ
all kinds of hyped up and nervous. Hence, just tried to do too much,
As Coach U used to say there are "errors of commission" and "errors of omission". The former being more excusable.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:36 am
DMac wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:27 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHvztfPYcsQ
all kinds of hyped up and nervous. Hence, just tried to do too much,
As Coach U used to say there are "errors of commission" and "errors of omission". The former being more excusable.
:D the kid was committing all right!
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Will Mark performed as expected. Cuse is gonna have a good year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ctbagataway wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 pm

He might, but he is going to have to get a lot better. He dodged to score, every single time. Very few, if any, quality feeds, more like dumps to adjacent when he couldn't turn the corner. Many of the shots taken were to the goalie's chest. If he is going to play X, he needs to be able to distribute and get everyone involved.
People seem to want really jump all over this kid.
Watch the replay and you'll see a very nice feed from behind the cage to Birtwhistle on the doorstep but he misses the shot.
Also dishes a nice pass to Simmons as the shot clock is running down, Simmons gets a good shot but misses the cage. JS could easily
have had 2 assists in the first quarter of this game. He didn't dodge to score "every single time" and he did throw some quality feeds (shooters didn't finish).
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I think Gary says a lot here, particularly last year v this year. I like the '23 version of Coach Gait much better than the '22 version. The '22 version must have been, I'm just going to sit back and watch and let this play out. Not this year, different coach on the sidelines, much more involved. He was very good with the girls, think he's going to be with the boys too. He sees what's happening out there and I'm confident he'll get the best he can out of his team. I'm not as disappointed with JS's play as many seem to be, there's a lot of talent there. Yes, he took ill advised shots and too many (was okay with most when Dordevic did that and they lost though) but I'll give the freshman playing his first game in the Dome a pass here, had to have been all kinds of hyped up and nervous. Hence, just tried to do too much, think Gary will pull the reins in on him and he'll turn out to be a good one. The goal he did score was a big one, much needed to tie the game at 5, gotta like a player who steps up like that
Cuse took 44 shots, 23 were on goal. Vermont took 35, 18 were on cage. Both GKs were really good in the cage, both made some really nice saves, this could easily have been a much higher scoring game than it was.
Was a pretty physical game at times, no backing down by the Cuse boys (Vermont boys either). Cuse loses the face off battle (not by much though, couldn't be completely disappointed there) and wins the game...imagine that. ;)
I thought GG was even more sedate than last year.. even saw him look at his watch coming out of a timeout! That’s just his style—he played the same way—nothing seems to bother him. Frankly, I wish more coaches were in his mold. Spallina did hog the ball, but he didn’t turn it over and no one else seemed determined to take their guy. A goal by the pole in transition, a couple bad goals given up by UVM goalie (one beat him near pipe from the right wing and Hiltz five hole from the left wing) and game “may have” been different. Otherwise UVM goalie was more than solid—he even got a piece of Birtwhistle’s EMO goal on the doorstep. Many coaches think the biggest improvement occurs in game 2 of the season, and then incrementally thereafter. Would be shocked if JS doesn’t have a good game vs Albany. GG talked about how well the team spins the ball in practice…maybe we’ll see that this week..
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

sinman6 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:05 am Will Mark performed as expected. Cuse is gonna have a good year.
They better score >7 in the ACC!
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

lorin wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:07 am
Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am 1 for 15 shooting, wearing #22. SMH. Daddy’s hype machine ain’t going to fix that type of performance.
The dad is a tool, but if you watched game has I did you can tell he is going to be good, but an X man playing with the talent he has around him should never have 15 shots. Plus eventually he has to go left more.
Dad is the biggest tool!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:10 am
ctbagataway wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:16 pm

He might, but he is going to have to get a lot better. He dodged to score, every single time. Very few, if any, quality feeds, more like dumps to adjacent when he couldn't turn the corner. Many of the shots taken were to the goalie's chest. If he is going to play X, he needs to be able to distribute and get everyone involved.
People seem to want really jump all over this kid.
Watch the replay and you'll see a very nice feed from behind the cage to Birtwhistle on the doorstep but he misses the shot.
Also dishes a nice pass to Simmons as the shot clock is running down, Simmons gets a good shot but misses the cage. JS could easily
have had 2 assists in the first quarter of this game. He didn't dodge to score "every single time" and he did throw some quality feeds (shooters didn't finish).
An overreaction…..The price these kids pay because of social media. I believe in letting these kids develop. Is he going to be the best player in college at any point? I doubt it. The odds are against him but that doesn’t mean he won’t be a good player.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I mean, he's a college player now and we're discussing college lacrosse. None of the criticism was over the line or incorrect really. He did take too many shots and forced things a bit; but it was his first game and he was understandably very amped up. You'd imagine he'll start to work his teammates into things more and get involved in the flow of the offense with more games, but that is indeed what he'll have to do to be the main X attackmen.

"People want to jump all over this kid" from the guy who had a bordering on personal issue with some of the guys who have since moved on is pretty ironic.
Last edited by jrn19 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Not to mention they're inviting scrutiny by gifting the kid a special jersey before he stepped foot on campus. The program set those expectations. That's their prerogative but it's silly to then play victim when he gets criticized for a rough game. I think he's going to be absolutely fine, by the way. I'd much rather see a freshman shooting too much than playing scared or hesitant.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”