Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaLax17

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by NovaLax17 »

masondixonlax wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:56 pm Spallina 14 shots, 1 goal :o
Spallina finished with 15 shots and one goal The number of shots for the rest of the Cuse team: 6, 5, 4, 4, 3 and 1 from an LSM.

Does Vermont have a solid defense or does Syracuse need to work on the offense? Both?
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:07 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:45 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm Not watching the game. But does Petro seem to do more talking and moving on the sidelines than Gait?
Heard from a mens player: Petro does all the talking, yelling, game planning, Gary kind of stands there - like the figurehead.
what does a "mens player" mean? this has been a consistent refrain in gait's short tenure.

not your fault, but rarely saw it on laxpower with simmons. and i never see it re: nadelen. and only rarely with regard to tierney. who clearly only argues with and yells at refs the entire game.

it's strange how it comes up with gait all the time.
*mens player* def : one who plays for said team
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Madlax59 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:36 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:07 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:45 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:23 pm Not watching the game. But does Petro seem to do more talking and moving on the sidelines than Gait?
Heard from a mens player: Petro does all the talking, yelling, game planning, Gary kind of stands there - like the figurehead.
what does a "mens player" mean? this has been a consistent refrain in gait's short tenure.

not your fault, but rarely saw it on laxpower with simmons. and i never see it re: nadelen. and only rarely with regard to tierney. who clearly only argues with and yells at refs the entire game.

it's strange how it comes up with gait all the time.
*mens player* def : one who plays for said team
ok, thanks. had never heard it couched that way, no problem.

so a guy on the bench. there's been a lot of turnover, and balancing playing a lot of new guys can be a tough gig. that's probably where he's going to have to do his best work. and maybe better work than last year, just guessing as an outsder.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:58 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:10 pm
masondixonlax wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:02 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 2:57 pm Finlay Thomson,

there you go, the forgotten man in all this Spallina wearing #22 hype,
killed it over the summer in Ontario Jr A.
I was confused on how that kid was only a 4* coming out
Wasn’t Finn Thomson the #5 recruit?

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... commitment

Bmuch today. He’ll settle in.

Thomson looked like a senior out there. Polished, flashy, and some amazing stick skills.
Thomson was a 4 and change rated recruit initially when he was
a Michigan recruit,
he moved up after the re-commit to Syracuse and also due to a
tremendous summer of box lacrosse where he scored 130-140 points — Thomson and Collison, the top two out of Edge Lacrosse club. I actually thought Collison was the better recruit but it may
be Thomson.
I hope Collison is as impressive as Thomson was today. Difficult to recall the last time I was so impressed by a freshman after a first look.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:52 pm

Thomson looked like a senior out there. Polished, flashy, and some amazing stick skills.
a Michigan recruit,
tremendous summer of box lacrosse where he scored 130-140 points — Thomson and Collison, the top two out of Edge Lacrosse club. I actually thought Collison was the better recruit but it may
be Thomson.
I hope Collison is as impressive as Thomson was today. Difficult to recall the last time I was so impressed by a freshman after a first look.

DocBarrister
thomson was v good today. lot of confidence. not easy out of the gate for a 1st year.
viho

Post by viho »

stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm Cuse should start off year 3-0 before facing Maryland . This team reinforces view that they have enuff to beat second tier teams but not top ten .
Looking past a Great Dane team that beat the orange last year?!?! Well prepared Albany comes to the dome every February looking for the win.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:54 pm

a Michigan recruit,
be Thomson.

DocBarrister
thomson was v good today. lot of confidence. not easy out of the gate for a 1st year.
Agree. The skills popped out, but his seeming comfort in his first collegiate game was really notable. The freshman looked like he was having fun out there.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

viho wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:56 pm
stupefied wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:28 pm Cuse should start off year 3-0 before facing Maryland . This team reinforces view that they have enuff to beat second tier teams but not top ten .
Looking past a Great Dane team that beat the orange last year?!?! Well prepared Albany comes to the dome every February looking for the win.
Graydon Hogg had a tremendous summer and is a shoo-in to make
the World games Team Canada,
they also got one of the underrated freshmen,
Silas Richmond was one of the top players in BC Jr A, 6’4” 190.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:54 pm

a Michigan recruit,
be Thomson.

DocBarrister
High expectations for him.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

NovaLax17 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:20 pm
Spallina finished with 15 shots and one goal The number of shots for the rest of the Cuse team: 6, 5, 4, 4, 3 and 1 from an LSM.

Does Vermont have a solid defense or does Syracuse need to work on the offense? Both?
So Spallina is taking both the Dordevic and Curry roles all by himself? Lot of hero ball up there in the dome (admittedly, I didn't watch the game but that's one hell of a stat line). I'm sure he'll be great, but this has to be coaching too, no? I mean, it's not like this is the first time they've had one guy take most of the shots.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:31 pm

So Spallina is taking both the Dordevic and Curry roles all by himself? Lot of hero ball up there in the dome (admittedly, I didn't watch the game but that's one hell of a stat line). I'm sure he'll be great, but this has to be coaching too, no? I mean, it's not like this is the first time they've had one guy take most of the shots.
Spallina forced some shots that were less than optimal. He played just like the kind of player who is accustomed to handling the ball most of the time for his team. I’m sure he will adjust and let the game come to him, as the saying goes.

Still, Spallina generated a lot of offensive opportunities. Probably could have had a couple of assists if his teammates had finished their shots. Might have had another goal or two were it not for the very good play of the Vermont goalie.

He’s going to live up to his billing, I think.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think I've probably been the most vocal of critics of both Dordevic and Curry's play/style of play, am very glad to see Dordevic at Gtown.
This is a comment based on stats, while there's a similarity in stats there's really not a similarity in play the way I saw it.
His first shot is a goal a high percentage of time, got to the goal and got a good shot off in real close. Goalie made a better
play as he did many times in this game. Vermont GK played a good game. Did the same thing again with the same result, I'll
take that shot 100% of the time. Joey actually had several good shots in this game, little to show for on the stat sheet. UVM GK matched those good shots with good saves too. My first time seeing him and I wasn't disappointed, lot of potential there. Yes, there were a couple of forced/ill advised shots too. Hiltz's stick is magic, Joey needs in to tune in to getting open when Hiltz has the ball, the pass will come right to your stick and then you can put it in and get a lot of goals. I think DocB's evaluation is pretty accurate.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:38 pm

Spallina forced some shots that were less than optimal. He played just like the kind of player who is accustomed to handling the ball most of the time for his team. I’m sure he will adjust and let the game come to him, as the saying goes.

Still, Spallina generated a lot of offensive opportunities. Probably could have had a couple of assists if his teammates had finished their shots. Might have had another goal or two were it not for the very good play of the Vermont goalie.

He’s going to live up to his billing, I think.

DocBarrister
He might, but he is going to have to get a lot better. He dodged to score, every single time. Very few, if any, quality feeds, more like dumps to adjacent when he couldn't turn the corner. Many of the shots taken were to the goalie's chest. If he is going to play X, he needs to be able to distribute and get everyone involved.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Good, honest observations by GG. Defense and goaltending were excellent, and that will go a long way. As he said, the offense will improve.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Perspective:
First games for #1 recruits:
2022 Joey Spallina Syracuse 1 goal on 15 shots, 0 assists
2021 Griffin Schutz Uva 1 goal on 2 shots, 0 assists
2020 Brennan O'Neill Duke 3 goals on 4 shots, 1 assist
2019 Connor Shellenberger 4 goals on 6 shots, 3 assists
2018 Joey Epstein JHU 1 goal on 5 shots, 1 assist
2017 Tehoka Nanticoke 5 goals on 15 shots, 0 assists
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dear JMA Wireless Dome announcer,
Note the spelling here, Johns Hopkins, that's pronounced just the way it's spelled. Twice yesterday you announced that Mike Powell's #22 jersey is going to be retired on March 11th when Syracuse plays John Hopkins. You're not the announcer at a Bourne, Texas youth league game, you're the announcer in the Dome in Syracuse, fer christ sakes! I'm hoping that the D coach came up and had a word or two with you after the game but in case he didn't let me spell it out for you again....Johns Hopkins, and the S in Johns is not silent.
Oi vey,
DMac
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

1 for 15 shooting, wearing #22. SMH. Daddy’s hype machine ain’t going to fix that type of performance.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 am 1 for 15 shooting, wearing #22. SMH. Daddy’s hype machine ain’t going to fix that type of performance.
The dad is a tool, but if you watched game has I did you can tell he is going to be good, but an X man playing with the talent he has around him should never have 15 shots. Plus eventually he has to go left more.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I was impressed by the perceived improvement in SU’s defense, especially goalie play —although UVM showed little firepower. Spallina looked confident carrying the ball and didn’t turn it over; however he forced many shots(as we saw and GG alluded to in his presser). Per GG, he is planning on Joey being more of a distributor vs shooter. Bottom line was SU defense, goalie and f/o unit were solid, offense was mostly 1v1 and 5 guys standing, save the btb from Thomson to Simmons… Albany game will be emotional and another AE test for the Orange.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”