Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:08 pm With temperatures forecasted to be pretty brutal on Saturday, wonder if scrimmage might be moved to Sunday with better playing conditions.
Providence v Holy Cross was rescheduled due to weather, so its a possibility.
https://twitter.com/PCFriarsLax/status/ ... 28IGegzxBQ
HGK

Post by HGK »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nces/60610

Two Hoyas, Bowen and Dordevic, in the preseason top 10 Tewaarton list, with arguably Georgetown’s best player, Bundy, not on the list.

None of that means much on February 2nd. Just thought interesting.

Last year’s ending I’d believe has this team laser focused and team goals and results are clearly way more important to the staff and boys than are individual accolades.

Hopefully a good run Saturday vs UVA and then up to Homewood.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 8:08 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nces/60610

Two Hoyas, Bowen and Dordevic, in the preseason top 10 Tewaarton list, with arguably Georgetown’s best player, Bundy, not on the list.

None of that means much on February 2nd. Just thought interesting.

Last year’s ending I’d believe has this team laser focused and team goals and results are clearly way more important to the staff and boys than are individual accolades.

Hopefully a good run Saturday vs UVA and then up to Homewood.
Bundy a huge oversight. Is it because they can’t appreciate his legit mastery of the old school bounce shot? As another poster mentioned above, his rise has been steadily upward.

Good news is Georgetown has 3 legit Tewaarrton contenders.

Go Hoyas!
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Every Georgetown game that I watched, Bundy was the best offensive player on the field. I can’t say the same for Dordevic at Syracuse. Bundy is a magician.
HGK

Post by HGK »

With opening day only 8 days away it seems the attack, close D and Goalie spots are set. How the first two midfields, ssdm and pole depth play out are still in flux. Would think the scrimmage vs UVA tomorrow should give clarity on who the staff feels will fill those last couple middies, one ssdm and one pole positions. Anyone attending?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Any updates on the scrimmage? Last I saw on Twitter, LaSalla and Bowen did not play and it was 6-6 at half.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Heard was 12-8 Hoyas after 3rd, before a running 20 minute clock 4th quarter with both benches playing. Don’t know anything past that.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

just saw this:
Starters vs starters I had
@HoyasMLacrosse
@UVAMensLax
8. Hoyas also scored on EMO; I think it was situational right after halftime and not part of scrimmage. Hoyas D James Donaldson was tremendous on Shellenberger. Miezan scored in Q4 for UVa
https://twitter.com/SwezeyLacrosse/stat ... FPcuvPmqbg
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hopkins played pretty darn good. Looks like it’s game on for Saturday!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

With Bowen not playing, the fact that Donaldson stood out in matching up with Shellenberger, and that Wallace Halpert stood out in his play is very encouraging news. We sort of take for granted that the defense is going to be strong, but in looking at what Maryland did to Richmond, its going to be need to be on another level to compete at the top.

Can't wait for next week's season opener in Baltimore! Go Hoyas!
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:26 am With Bowen not playing, the fact that Donaldson stood out in matching up with Shellenberger, and that Wallace Halpert stood out in his play is very encouraging news. We sort of take for granted that the defense is going to be strong, but in looking at what Maryland did to Richmond, its going to be need to be on another level to compete at the top.

Can't wait for next week's season opener in Baltimore! Go Hoyas!
I have always felt that Donaldson has been underrated. Smith and Bowen have overshadowed him in terms of honors but he is a shutdown defender who rarely gets beat. He does not have the CT and GB stats of others but is steady with great fundamentals.

It was also good to see that Halpern played well as a replacement for Mazzone. He was a solid #2 LSM for 2 years and hopefully will be a solid #1 LSM. Again, the backup D middies both SSM and LSM seem to be the missing pieces to an otherwise set lineup.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Opening day lineup guess -

Attack - Haley, Minicus, Dordevic

Midfield - 1st Bundy, Mcdermott, Hess
2nd Solomon, Kelly, ?

X - Reilly

SSDM - Godine, Leary, ?

Pole - Halpert, ?

Close - Bowen, Donaldson, Tominovich

Goalie- Hincks

Lot of possibilities for the last midfield spot and more if Hess plays some SSDM. Same at pole.

Warne said needs more guys to play meaningful minutes after Delaware game and I would think that the open slots see multiple young men get some time.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

I'd love to see that last spot on the 2nd midfield be a freshman...
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:39 pm I'd love to see that last spot on the 2nd midfield be a freshman...
I’d think Crogan and Wray are most likely to get meaningful minutes of the freshman midfielders early on. There is some real depth at the position in the class so others could easily emerge as well as season goes on.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Quint gives some hints:
https://laxallstars.com/quint-kessenich ... ry-6-2023/
The Hoyas are the class of the Big East and have raised the level of their non-conference schedule with the likes of Hopkins, Princeton, Penn, Notre Dame, Richmond, High Point, and Lehigh. The Swamp Dogs finally have a viable second midfield with Aidan Carroll, Nicky Solomon and freshmen Patrick Crogan. Rookie Jordan Wray is also pushing for minutes. Dylan Hess is now a full-time two-way shorty, a smart move considering his future in the PLL is in that roll.

Georgetown has scrimmaged Maryland and Virginia during the last two weeks and will be ready for Saturday’s opener at Hopkins (1pm ESPN+).
Very interesting. Aidan Carroll, a junior listed as an attackman, earning minutes at second midfield. Had six goals on 12 shots last year as a reserve. If accurate (they have been playing with swapped jerseys), then I can see a situation where Hess is splitting time between D mid and 1st midfield and Jacob Kelly is splitting time between 4th attack and 1st midfield.

Looks like Crogan and Wray pushing for minutes as freshman as you suggested, HGK.
molo

Post by molo »

Q has the Hoyas over Maryland and Virginia.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:40 pm Quint gives some hints:
The Hoyas are the class of the Big East and have raised the level of their non-conference schedule with the likes of Hopkins, Princeton, Penn, Notre Dame, Richmond, High Point, and Lehigh. The Swamp Dogs finally have a viable second midfield with Aidan Carroll, Nicky Solomon and freshmen Patrick Crogan. Rookie Jordan Wray is also pushing for minutes. Dylan Hess is now a full-time two-way shorty, a smart move considering his future in the PLL is in that roll.

Georgetown has scrimmaged Maryland and Virginia during the last two weeks and will be ready for Saturday’s opener at Hopkins (1pm ESPN+).
Very interesting. Aidan Carroll, a junior listed as an attackman, earning minutes at second midfield. Had six goals on 12 shots last year as a reserve. If accurate (they have been playing with swapped jerseys), then I can see a situation where Hess is splitting time between D mid and 1st midfield and Jacob Kelly is splitting time between 4th attack and 1st midfield.

Looks like Crogan and Wray pushing for minutes as freshman as you suggested, HGK.
On the Alumni pre season call Warne spoke very highly of Carroll. Great to see the depth.
HGK

Post by HGK »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:53 pm Q has the Hoyas over Maryland and Virginia.
As Coach U would say - “don’t tell me. Show me.” Hoyas are clearly a very good team but last year shows you never know. I have a sense that last year’s ending, as painful as it was, will end up being a be a good thing for the 2023 Hoyas.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:25 pm
rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:40 pm Quint gives some hints:

On the Alumni pre season call Warne spoke very highly of Carroll. Great to see the depth.
Bundy
McDermott
Hess
Salomon
Carroll
Crogan
Wray
Kelly / Dordevic
MacCleod

Could potentially run three solid midfields.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hoyas at Hopkins Saturday 1pm. ESPN+ I believe.

Hopkins looked pretty good vs Jax. Much improved in the goal, at the faceoff X and ball movement wise. They also have a week of rest unlike last year when played Towson two day prior. Line is 5.5. Hoyas first game, Hopkins second. Hoyas with a lot of new faces that may take some time to gel. Could be a close one for sure.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”