Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:53 am
The roster no longer lists the sophomore faceoff man who got most minutes behind Reilly last year. Any word on who the top back up would be?
That would be an unfortunate loss, if accurate (Matthew Riley). From what I recall he was a pretty highly regarded recruit.

As far as the roster goes, they have senior Carson Milburn who has gotten some minutes throughout the years, then junior John Dixon and freshman Wilson Van Buren. Will have to see how it plays out.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:07 am
Laxbuck wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:14 am Georgetown is clearly the class of the Big East, and it's not even close. Maybe Villanova can hang within 3 or 4 goals but only if the Hoyas are having an off day. Remember the days when Denver used to be that team? Georgetown is miles ahead of them of them at this point. The gap in athleticism between the Hoyas and Pios is massive.

The scrimmage next weekend with Maryland will be awesome. The Terps held out several players (Kyle Long, for example) for various reasons against Duke on Saturday in Durham and still won 12-7. Two Final 4-quality teams scrimmaging?!!
Don’t sleep on the Pios. Defense is stout and I think the offense will surprise some people
I think Marquette is a big sleeper this year.

That said, Hoyas are loaded. At Maryland next weekend and then UVA at Cooper before opening at Hopkins. The next two weeks scrimmages should give a sense of how the coaches plan to integrate the transfers, freshmen and importantly IMO, Hess back into the offense.
While Hess on offense would strengthen the offense tremendously, GU needs depth at SSDM. Godine and Leary are a strong combination, but will GU have quality depth without Hess playing on D? And GU needs to developed a second LSM to complement Halpert with Mazzone moving on. Should be interesting…
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:14 am Georgetown is clearly the class of the Big East, and it's not even close. Maybe Villanova can hang within 3 or 4 goals but only if the Hoyas are having an off day. Remember the days when Denver used to be that team? Georgetown is miles ahead of them of them at this point. The gap in athleticism between the Hoyas and Pios is massive.

The scrimmage next weekend with Maryland will be awesome. The Terps held out several players (Kyle Long, for example) for various reasons against Duke on Saturday in Durham and still won 12-7. Two Final 4-quality teams scrimmaging?!!
Don’t sleep on the Pios. Defense is stout and I think the offense will surprise some people
When Georgetown steps off of the bus, they look different than any other team in the BE.

The only team that has struggled more on offense in the shot clock era than Hopkins is Denver. Brown's offenses thrived on long possesses and tons of passing. Since they're not recruiting a lot of kids that can win one-on-one match-ups, their offense has suffered.

Georgetown solved their one-on-one, draw slides problem from last year by adding Dordevic...who I hope starts to dodge off of ball movement instead of waiting, waiting, waiting and then dodging. I'd love to see him just catch the ball and go. With more talent around him, I bet we do see more of that than when he was at Cuse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I believe GTown is the class of the BE however anyone who’s played an higher level sport knows the tactic of having the biggest, gym rat jacked dude come off the bus first even though half the time he’s not anywhere near the best or a dominant player or athlete. It’s an old trick.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Georgetown has the guys on paper to be a force to be reckoned with this year. What remains to be seen is how the offense will gel. There are 4 big dog transfers that will likely play significant roles on offense and a brand new offensive coordinator. The lack of any fall competition leaves us in the dark about how its all going to fit together.

I'm optimistic that a strong culture created over the past 5 years plus the leadership of guys like Bundy, McDermott, Reilly, and Bowen will result in a smooth transition. But, in my mind, there are still a lot of question marks that won't be answered until we see them hit the field in the next few weeks.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Hoyas at College Park Saturday. With no outside competition in the fall it will be very interesting to see who plays where with the transfers on offense and will be great to get a look at the freshmen as well as the goalie battle with Hincks and Schafenberger.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

HGK wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:51 pm Hoyas at College Park Saturday. With no outside competition in the fall it will be very interesting to see who plays where with the transfers on offense and will be great to get a look at the freshmen as well as the goalie battle with Hincks and Schafenberger.
According to IL the scrimmage this weekend is closed to the public
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Heard through the grapevine Maryland over Georgetown by 3. Georgetown winning most of the game until Maryland went on a little run at the end.

No word on who played where yet. Apparently they switched jerseys.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm Heard through the grapevine Maryland over Georgetown by 3. Georgetown winning most of the game until Maryland went on a little run at the end.

Arealax will probably pop on here or the MD forum. He was at the scrimmage. He posted on another site that it was 6-5 Georgetown at half, 8-7 Maryland at the end of the 3rd, and 12-9 as a final (bench players in the 4th). 1 goal kinda game is about what you'd expect from these programs.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:39 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:12 pm Heard through the grapevine Maryland over Georgetown by 3. Georgetown winning most of the game until Maryland went on a little run at the end.

Arealax will probably pop on here or the MD forum. He was at the scrimmage. He posted on another site that it was 6-5 Georgetown at half, 8-7 Maryland at the end of the 3rd, and 12-9 as a final (bench players in the 4th). 1 goal kinda game is about what you'd expect from these programs.
Sounds about right. Heard it described as a “heavyweight battle” and that both goalies played well.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Heard both teams took starters out after third and that attack of Haley, Minicus and Dordevic looked very good and played well off each other. If all 3 can create would be big as Hoyas have been middie heavy on scoring post Bucarro . More balance will be very important. Great to hear both goalies played well. UVA next week another great test.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Don’t know much about who was playing for GT.
1st qtr was 1-1 until the end and GT got 2 quick goals making it 3-1 GT.
Half. 6-5 GT One of GT’s offense players went down during this qtr and had to be helped off and did return. My guess he was a middie as he had just come the field
8-7 md end 3rd. GT had a really tall goalie and he was good.
12-9. Md end of the 4th. I know MD was playing bench players at this point.
There was a 5th qtr. i couldn’t stay for that one.

Overall both the offense and defense really playing tough and smart for GT. Both team had penalties so they got try out their man ups and downs
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:43 pm Heard both teams took starters out after third and that attack of Haley, Minicus and Dordevic looked very good and played well off each other. If all 3 can create would be big as Hoyas have been middie heavy on scoring post Bucarro . More balance will be very important. Great to hear both goalies played well. UVA next week another great test.
Just to clarify, when I say both goalies I mean the goalies from both teams (what was relayed to me). I’m not sure who played for GT but it sounds like from above it was Hincks.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

So with an attack of Dordevic, Minicus, and Haley, that means a midfield of Bundy, McDemott and ?

I wonder if both Kelly and Salomon will run midfield or if they will rotate in on attack. Any word on some of the younger guys getting time at midfield?
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:55 pm So with an attack of Dordevic, Minicus, and Haley, that means a midfield of Bundy, McDemott and ?

I wonder if both Kelly and Salomon will run midfield or if they will rotate in on attack. Any word on some of the younger guys getting time at midfield?
Third middie should be interesting. Hess on first midfield or play SSDM and second O midfield?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:18 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:55 pm So with an attack of Dordevic, Minicus, and Haley, that means a midfield of Bundy, McDemott and ?

Third middie should be interesting. Hess on first midfield or play SSDM and second O midfield?
Would be interesting if they keep the experienced tandems together at midfield:

Bundy, McDermott + 1
Kelly, Salomon + 1
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

Is Dudemaine playing much?
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

Not a lot of color out of last week's scrimmage. I know it was "closed" but I thought we'd get a report from someone peaking through the fence.

There's no way to hide this weekend on Cooper Field. I hope to hear some color on lineups and who looks like what. I hope this squad has some fun along the way as I'm sure they feel some pressure.

Early predictions in no particular order:

Hincks has McElroy type #'s behind this defense. He's a big kid with great hands. He should be facing "easier" saves this year than the rubber he saw last year in the Ivies.

Bundy a Tewaaraton finalist. His trajectory has been steadily higher and that's the next level for him. He'll be 45 and 45 this year...maybe even 50 goals.

If they make is through the first 4 games unscathed....be very wary of Richmond and Lehigh games. Having them at home will help but those are two solid squads that catch a better team every year.

Freshmen - 2 will get some important minutes. I'm not sure who but they got some players in that class. The middie group in particular with Dean, Crogan, Wray, Dudemaine, Caponiti, and Van Buren (FO). A couple of those are going to find their way into some important minutes for this team.

Looking forward to getting some color after Saturday and watching this team progress to Philly!
HGK

Post by HGK »

With temperatures forecasted to be pretty brutal on Saturday, wonder if scrimmage might be moved to Sunday with better playing conditions.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

I heard another team refer to this team as having North Carolina’s starting attack playing as its second midfield.
From https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... getown-men

Maybe some evidence of the "experienced tandem" midfields.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”