Preseason Polls 2023

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Seacoaster(1)

Re: Preseason Polls 2023

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:31 pm
jff97 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:17 pm Top 5 continues with #4 Stony Brook: https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... rook-women
LOL every Year Joe Spallina proclaims "I have the best (fill in the blank) attacker, middie, deepest roster, best roster.....
Have never gotten past the first round of playoffs ........And that "chip on their shoulder " rhetoric is so old and stale....they are ranked top 6 every year...that has to be for some reason. Isn't it time to retire that phrase?
I actually like Joe’s enthusiasm and his obvious love for and commitment to the kids. I get that he says this every year. And still, I kind of appreciate a coach who wants the kids to know he’s behind them, rooting for them, driving them.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:30 pm
jff97 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:17 pm Top 5 continues with #4 Stony Brook: https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... rook-women
LOL every Year Joe Spallina proclaims "I have the best (fill in the blank) attacker, middie, deepest roster, best roster.....
Have never gotten past the first round of playoffs ........And that "chip on their shoulder " rhetoric is so old and stale....they are ranked top 6 every year...that has to be for some reason. Isn't it time to retire that phrase?
I actually like Joe’s enthusiasm and his obvious love for and commitment to the kids. I get that he says this every year. And still, I kind of appreciate a coach who wants the kids to know he’s behind them, rooting for them, driving them.
Joe is..what he is...I dont buy that SBU would be the #4 ranked team if they played in the ACC. They get alot of credit for weak conference competition (same could be said for Loyola :oops: ). I think they are top 10, but dont buy #4.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:30 pm
Dont you think most coaches feel this way? Jen Adams, Treanor, AWW, Cathy Reese??? etc
Old Bay addict

Post by Old Bay addict »

I’m not some big Stony Brook homer, but they did get to the quarterfinals in both 21 and 22 and lost to Carolina in Chapel Hill both times, in pretty tightly contested games. That’s a pretty big deal because in my opinion, that three-year Covid shortened dominating run Carolina had was very impressive with an immense amount of talent.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Old Bay addict wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:21 pm
I’m not some big Stony Brook homer, but they did get to the quarterfinals in both 21 and 22 and lost to Carolina in Chapel Hill both times, in pretty tightly contested games. That’s a pretty big deal because in my opinion, that three-year Covid shortened dominating run Carolina had was very impressive with an immense amount of talent.
I mean Duke beat BC reg season and look what happened to them in playoffs. Some games can be close/tight. Still gotta win.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

I tend to agree - they obviously don’t play in the toughest conference but that’s not their fault and their OOC schedule is always solid at a minimum. They go deep in the tournament and play the upper echelon very tough. I think teams tend to take on the personality of their coach and it’s definitely working out for the better at SB.
Old Bay addict

Post by Old Bay addict »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 pm
I mean Duke beat BC reg season and look what happened to them in playoffs. Some games can be close/tight. Still gotta win.
Yes they lost, but my point was that you stated SB didn’t get past the first round, when in reality they got to the third round the past two years, and lost to the #1 seed of the entire tournament in very close games at the #1 seeds home field.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Old Bay addict wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 pm
Yes they lost, but my point was that you stated SB didn’t get past the first round, when in reality they got to the third round the past two years, and lost to the #1 seed of the entire tournament in very close games at the #1 seeds home field.
My bad..I meant they have never gotten past the elite 8
and again a loss is a loss and they lost by 3....not a 1 goal game. some teams play each other tightly.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Top 5 continues with BC at No. 3. Not sure I agree with the coach who says they have the best defensive unit in the country. Also, is Charlotte North really "the Michael Jordan of women's lacrosse and maybe even men's lacrosse"?
https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... lege-women
njbill

Post by njbill »

It must be a coach thing. Last week Nick Sirianni compared Jalen Hurts to Michael Jordan. Coaches are always biased about their players, which they have every right to be.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jff97 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:10 pm Top 5 continues with BC at No. 3. Not sure I agree with the coach who says they have the best defensive unit in the country. Also, is Charlotte North really "the Michael Jordan of women's lacrosse and maybe even men's lacrosse"?
I don't think anyone's defense, prospectively, in preseason anyway, compares with BC and Maryland. UNC's will be good, because of the bevy of athletes and Phil. But the loss of Trenchard is going to require adjustment. Long-winded way of saying, that coach is not really that far off the mark saying BC's defense is the best unit in the country." And hey, it's February; let's play the games.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

jff97 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:10 pm Top 5 continues with BC at No. 3. Not sure I agree with the coach who says they have the best defensive unit in the country. Also, is Charlotte North really "the Michael Jordan of women's lacrosse and maybe even men's lacrosse"?
If I had to give you a name I would say TC over CN for overall dominance and best ever.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:29 pm
I don't think anyone's defense, prospectively, in preseason anyway, compares with BC and Maryland. UNC's will be good, because of the bevy of athletes and Phil. But the loss of Trenchard is going to require adjustment. Long-winded way of saying, that coach is not really that far off the mark saying BC's defense is the best unit in the country." And hey, it's February; let's play the games.
Well said. Add SB to the list of top defenses and that may be the reason those 4 are left standing on championship weekend.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Personally I'd say BC is #2 with MD at #1 as I think Sterling in goal is an advantage over Hall. But at least they'll play games soon so we can talk about what happens on the field and not hypotheticals anymore.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

GratefulRed wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:30 pm
Well said. Add SB to the list of top defenses and that may be the reason those 4 are left standing on championship weekend.
I was gonna add SB except they may have a goalie issue similar to Cuse last year so im not sure about them.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

You bet. Joe's defenses are always tough and well-drilled. Denver in there too (not as a Final Four type team, but a very good defensive group)?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Anyone else find it odd that this preview did not mention their starting goalie for the last three seasons? Like at all or did I miss it (I did a 'find" and got nada). I am not sure how you can discuss defense and not talk about goal keeping. The only goalie mentioned was the incoming freshman. Hmmm ...
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:40 pm
Anyone else find it odd that this preview did not mention their starting goalie for the last three seasons? Like at all or did I miss it (I did a 'find" and got nada). I am not sure how you can discuss defense and not talk about goal keeping. The only goalie mentioned was the incoming freshman. Hmmm ...
Seemed to concentrate mainly on Offense and draw
jff97

Post by jff97 »

A certain former poster's least favorite team on earth checks in at No. 2. Can't say I'm a fan of the way Mayer uses the format compared to the other writes used for previews. Also the fact that she messes up May and Leubecker's strengths isn't great considering their both preseason AAs.
https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... land-women
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

jff97 wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 2:44 pm A certain former poster's least favorite team on earth checks in at No. 2. Can't say I'm a fan of the way Mayer uses the format compared to the other writes used for previews. Also the fact that she messes up May and Leubecker's strengths isn't great considering their both preseason AAs.
https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/wome ... land-women
Yup, a straight mixup on Leubecker’s and May’s games. Seems like shoddy editing.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”