D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

👍👍
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Interesting. A good friend attended and had GT winning throughout the game by 2-3 goals. And he’s a huge UMD fan.

Perhaps he was just so used to the overpowered ‘22 version of the Terps that a measley 1 goal lead just FELT like a 2-3 goal deficit?

Don’t know why a score can’t be kept on the scoreboard and erased after each Q at scrimmages…seems simple enough.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

All I can say is it’s the score I kept and the people around me were saying the same thing.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Interesting,
coaches had no problem throwing Dante Trader and,
for UVA, Rick Meizan directly into the frying pan,

a real win from a fan standpoint.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Interview with Trader
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/t ... 0597171807

interesting he still doing football lift on top of his lacrosse responsibilities
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tomorrow morning: Glenn Clark annual college lacrosse preview show with @D1scourse. @Towson_MLAX, @NavyMLax, @LoyolaMLAX, @UMBC_MLax, @TerpsMLax, @jhumenslacrosse coaches will all join us.

We'll start at 9:40am. Come join us at
https://pressboxonline.com/Radio/
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Nice. Who was rotating through the 4th SSDM? Wicks and Redd?

Was Larkin getting much play at back-up LSM?

How was Trader’s shooting?
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Post by 127205020 »

Responding to somebody's questions, what this fan saw at the scrimmages:

Second LSM will be https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... nald/10785

Top two SSDMs are likely to be:
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... olar/10804
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... -jr-/10794
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

127205020 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:18 pm Responding to somebody's questions, what this fan saw at the scrimmages:

Second LSM will be https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... nald/10785

Top two SSDMs are likely to be:
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... olar/10804
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... -jr-/10794
Coached against EK and his brother, great players.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard

Post by 127205020 »

A few observations from the scrimmages:

Offense

Some of the young guys who have been getting a fair shot at A and M are holding the ball too long and thus may be delayed in terms of their allotment of PT. They'll all probably get there some day but it's hard to earn the staff's trust when you do that too frequently.

A few of the seasoned offensive players with increased roles this year need to play within themselves and minimize forced passes.

Two vets who started hot as Freshman could potentially be huge contributors this year and it appears those outcomes wholly depend on the fire they have or don't have in their bellies.

Fix all three and the ball is going to spin and maybe guys will be able to drift into open shooting lanes like last year.

Goalies

All three are very good. McNaney is a known to all of you. Dolan is really good too. Ruppel has been right there with them (seems like a redshirt candidate to me).

SSDMS

See earlier post.

FOGOs

Luke needs to trust his new SSDMS.

LSMs

Geppert looks bigger and stronger than a year ago. MacDonald is very good in open space and transition.

Close D

Lockdown. Colin Burlace looks right at home as the third to Brent and Ajax. Shaller can sub in without much drop off.
Finster

Post by Finster »

127205020 wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:59 pm A few observations from the scrimmages:

Offense

Some of the young guys who have been getting a fair shot at A and M are holding the ball too long and thus may be delayed in terms of their allotment of PT. They'll all probably get there some day but it's hard to earn the staff's trust when you do that too frequently.

A few of the seasoned offensive players with increased roles this year need to play within themselves and minimize forced passes.

Two vets who started hot as Freshman could potentially be huge contributors this year and it appears those outcomes wholly depend on the fire they have or don't have in their bellies.

Fix all three and the ball is going to spin and maybe guys will be able to drift into open shooting lanes like last year.

Goalies

All three are very good. McNaney is a known to all of you. Dolan is really good too. Ruppel has been right there with them (seems like a redshirt candidate to me).

SSDMS

See earlier post.

FOGOs

Luke needs to trust his new SSDMS.

LSMs

Geppert looks bigger and stronger than a year ago. MacDonald is very good in open space and transition.

Close D

Lockdown. Colin Burlace looks right at home as the third to Brent and Ajax. Shaller can sub in without much drop off.

I'm sensing this year might be more of a struggle for the Terps than pollsters/people want to admit. I'm not raining on the Terps parade, just being frank with my observation. It takes time for a new offense to get a feel for who's who. Your defense, FOGO, and goalie will keep you in games, but if the ball is on that end all day, watch out for injuries and fatigue.

Furthermore, I don't see the steady leadership of Donville, the looming presence of Wisnauskas, or the necessary pluckiness of Khan this year. Those three atributes, personified by those three athletes, were crucial to the historic run last year; who replaces that? The transfer from Bowdoin might be the secret sauce I'm missing, but he doesn't equal Khan.

I don't know. I hope for ther best for the Terps primarily because I think the world of John Tillman (the best), but I think he's up against it this year. I'd watch out for the Tigers this weekend; this could be a sleeper game that bites you when you aren't ready.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Terps play Richmond this weekend not Princeton or Towson
Finster

Post by Finster »

HGK wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 7:40 pm Terps play Richmond this weekend not Princeton or Towson

Dargh...I meant Spiders, not Tigers. (insert "I am dumb" emoji)

And, stand by the statement: Richmond is very good and won't be intimidated playing the Terps. I'd watch out if I were a Terp fan.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

I'm just glad Lax is back. Been waiting for this weekend for a while. Gonna buy ESPN+ unless anyone else has other/ better options for maximizing coverage this season. I imagine conference games will only be available through big10 network?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Richmond - BTN+
Loyola - ESPN+
Syracuse - BTN+ (potentially BTN; they have picked up an early season home game now and again last few years, but wouldn’t count on it)
Princeton - ESPN+ (maybe ESPNU, waiting on ESPN TV schedule to come out this week)
Notre Dame - BTN+ (potentially BTN+; again waiting on BTN TV schedule, this is around when they start to air Big Ten teams non con home games. They have aired this game before)
Albany - ESPN+ or Albany produced stream
Virginia - ESPNU more than likely
Penn State - BTN/BTN+ (maybe)
Michigan - BTN/BTN+ (maybe ESPNU)
Ohio State - BTN (maybe ESPNU)
Rutgers - BTN
Hop - BTN

All based on past history, how tv schedules and deals generally work, etc.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Both Richmond and Maryland lost ~56% of their scoring to graduation. Richmond lost ~55% of its defensive production.

Both times the teams have played, the Terps have won by a goal, including 2OT game at Richmond in 2020.

It's going to be a sloppy game and probably a close game. The question you have to ask is if both teams lost so much to graduation, who's more likely to reload more easily?

Plus Luke Wierman.

I'm thinking we're going to see a 12-10 kinda game that has lots of turnovers from both teams. Maryland's defense, goalie, and FOGO play are going to keep them ahead in most games.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Interesting……Sports books have the Terps as a 7.5pt favorite?
Yes it’s the 1st game but usually The House doesn’t put out lines to lose…..I know stranger things have happened

Sounds like some of you think Richmond to not lose by more than 7 is a lock!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”