Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 51percentcorn »

Of course we know scrimmage results mean pretty much less than nothing - the line-ups however can suggest a lean on the part of the coaching staff especially one week from the season opener. I will of course admit I probably will lose my theoretical bet on the starting goalie and I am surprised. If you were going to start the Bryant transfer he would have either started the scrimmage or at least been the second man in if you were giving the senior a last hurrah. I certainly hope Marcille can provide play that is better than "generally servicable to good".

Other things noticed - Certainly looks like Carson Brown is in the mix with time both at LSM and D

Philips on man-up - while this may be a replacement for soemone injured/not dressed - this surprises me a little. What does he bring to the EMO table? Honest question. Does he have a cannon? Is he a great passer from the mid-field - why would you consider him as opposed to someone like a Bauer or McDermott etc?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Appreciate the reports, Ruffled and JaXKy0521S!

Regarding the defense, there were definitely glimpses last year (Maryland debacle aside) that we might be ultimately able to put together an excellent unit, including some whole-game efforts (Loyola, Syracuse) that if replicatedd could win you a lot of games. Hopefully that's what we'll see this year. Koesterer is a great coach and giving him a supply of good athletes to work with hopefully leads to some great results.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:27 am Of course we know scrimmage results mean pretty much less than nothing - the line-ups however can suggest a lean on the part of the coaching staff especially one week from the season opener. I will of course admit I probably will lose my theoretical bet on the starting goalie and I am surprised. If you were going to start the Bryant transfer he would have either started the scrimmage or at least been the second man in if you were giving the senior a last hurrah. I certainly hope Marcille can provide play that is better than "generally servicable to good".

Other things noticed - Certainly looks like Carson Brown is in the mix with time both at LSM and D

Philips on man-up - while this may be a replacement for soemone injured/not dressed - this surprises me a little. What does he bring to the EMO table? Honest question. Does he have a cannon? Is he a great passer from the mid-field - why would you consider him as opposed to someone like a Bauer or McDermott etc?
Don't know if this is the staff's thinking but Phillips was a prolific scorer in the BCJALL (top box league in western Canada) last summer — he probably knows a thing or two about moving the ball quickly.

After years of 45% goaltending I'll take "generally serviceable to good" all day. Worth noting however that Denver lost a few key pieces on offense and is likely still trying to figure things out on that end. We are going to face several teams with more firepower than the Pios so I'd hope our goalies looked at the very least serviceable yesterday.

Deans re-emergence is nice to see regardless of if it was forced by the injury to 44. I liked what I saw from him as a freshman in 2021 under what was awful circumstances (no fall ball, hardly any real practices before the OSU game). The fact that he came out of that having earned a role and looking competent in it was encouraging. 6'3'', 205 and a star tight end down in Georgia...you have to like the intangibles.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 99?slide=8
gorgeous shot of homewood by grayson? the social media guy. Not sure where Phillips stick was or if that's just a drill. Quint said on one of his pods I think he was trying to make it and IL used to send guys to these so not sure if we'll get more although those writeups yesterday were probably better than what we'd get from the news outlets.

Sun did a writeup on Tierney kicking off his last dance at homewood. I'm not a subscriber so I'm not sure if it's a feature or if they included some stuff from the scrimmage yesterday.
https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/

Whenever we went size w/our lineups in the last regime we tended to get beat by quicker more athletic teams. We'll see if this era can do both.

Tv schedule probably thursday/friday if espn etc do their usual thing followed by moaning that other programs aren't on more. I'll miss espn3 if it is indeed not to be anymore.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:54 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:27 am Of course we know scrimmage results mean pretty much less than nothing - the line-ups however can suggest a lean on the part of the coaching staff especially one week from the season opener. I will of course admit I probably will lose my theoretical bet on the starting goalie and I am surprised. If you were going to start the Bryant transfer he would have either started the scrimmage or at least been the second man in if you were giving the senior a last hurrah. I certainly hope Marcille can provide play that is better than "generally servicable to good".

Don't know if this is the staff's thinking but Phillips was a prolific scorer in the BCJALL (top box league in western Canada) last summer — he probably knows a thing or two about moving the ball quickly.

After years of 45% goaltending I'll take "generally serviceable to good" all day. Worth noting however that Denver lost a few key pieces on offense and is likely still trying to figure things out on that end. We are going to face several teams with more firepower than the Pios so I'd hope our goalies looked at the very least serviceable yesterday.

Deans re-emergence is nice to see regardless of if it was forced by the injury to 44. I liked what I saw from him as a freshman in 2021 under what was awful circumstances (no fall ball, hardly any real practices before the OSU game). The fact that he came out of that having earned a role and looking competent in it was encouraging. 6'3'', 205 and a star tight end down in Georgia...you have to like the intangibles.
51 did one of the better posts/stories on the program in a long time last spring when he compared the goaltending of terp u over the last 10 years to hopkins. I'm sure there are other stats, factors, narratives you can find/make up/theorize like early recruiting or ssdm play or gbs or shooting percentage, but that was pretty good and ESPN and IL should have stolen it and credited 51.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 99?slide=8
gorgeous shot of homewood by grayson? the social media guy.
Grayson is a woman.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm Sun did a writeup on Tierney kicking off his last dance at homewood. I'm not a subscriber so I'm not sure if it's a feature or if they included some stuff from the scrimmage yesterday.
Nothing in there about the scrimmage specifically apart from confirmation of the score
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm https://www.insidelacrosse.com/slidesho ... 99?slide=8
Grayson is a woman.
This is a brave person assuming and assigning gender on that campus
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Early recruiting for a drummer?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X4r78UvKpE
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:55 pm
Grayson is a woman.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 12:43 pm Sun did a writeup on Tierney kicking off his last dance at homewood. I'm not a subscriber so I'm not sure if it's a feature or if they included some stuff from the scrimmage yesterday.
Nothing in there about the scrimmage specifically apart from confirmation of the score
My apologies to her.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Score predictions for Jacksonville-Hopkins?
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

One goal game either way… high scoring… im going with 13-12 JHU
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:26 pm Score predictions for Jacksonville-Hopkins?
JHU 19- JU 9
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Pretty hard to get much over .500, without being very optimistic.

2/4 Jax: W (1-0) (they win by 4 or 5 goals, say 12-8)
2/11 G'Town: L (1-1) (reasonably close, but not really in danger of winning, 15-11 or so)
2/14 UNC: W (2-1) (tight game, win 13-12)
2/18 Loyola: W (3-1) (low scoring game, great atmosphere 9-6)
2/25 Utah: W (4-1) (comfortable win, 16-8, everyone feeling pretty good at this point)
3/4 St. Joe's: L (4-2) (big letdown, 14-12, but a good St. Joe's team)
3/7 UVa: L (4-3) (the inevitable beatdown, 17-10)
3/11 'Cuse: L (4-4) (14-9, Spallina has 6 points, that pains me to type)
3/17 Navy: L (4-5) (10-7, I think Navy wins the Patriot League, wind pretty much fully out of our sails)
3/19 Delaware: W (5-5) (13-10, to avoid a repeat of last year's lost weekend)
3/25 Michigan: W (6-5) (17-9, it is still Michigan after all)
4/1 Rutgers: L (6-6) (16-14, in a shootout)
4/8 Penn State: W (7-6) (tight, low scoring game, 11-9)
4/15 OSU: W (8-6) (a get right game, 13-7)
4/22 UMd: L (8-7) (they keep it tight for a while, but can't hold on, 14-10)

1st Round B1G Tourney (3rd seed v. Michigan): W (9-7) (it's nervous, but they pull it out, 13-11)
2nd Round B1G Tourney (v. Rutgers): L (9-8) (disappointing loss, 12-10)

On the bubble but no bid to NCAA Tourney, finish the season ranked 15th
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I used to game out the likely wins and losses before the season but I've learned the only thing that's certain is that it's pretty near impossible to predict. Some of these teams — including possibly us — are going to end up being very different from what the current conventional wisdom is. In last year's preseason poll, UNC was 6th, Loyola was 8th, Cuse was 12th (LOL), Lehigh was 14th, Drexel was 18th. Meanwhile, Princeton, Ohio State, Brown, Harvard, Jacksonville, St. Joe's, and BU weren't ranked. That's already like half the top 20 that wound up being significantly better or worse than where the initial consensus pegged them. Harvard didn't even receive any votes, while teams like Towson and Albany did. There are always a few locks (e.g. Maryland and Virginia are going to be good) but outside of those I wouldn't feel comfortable making a ton of assumptions. Not to mention injuries always end up changing the equation. Just...be good. The rest will take care of itself. If you're good you don't have to worry too much about anyone else.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:29 pm I used to game out the likely wins and losses before the season but I've learned the only thing that's certain is that it's pretty near impossible to predict. Some of these teams — including possibly us — are going to end up being very different from what the current conventional wisdom is. In last year's preseason poll, UNC was 6th, Loyola was 8th, Cuse was 12th (LOL), Lehigh was 14th, Drexel was 18th. Meanwhile, Princeton, Ohio State, Brown, Harvard, Jacksonville, St. Joe's, and BU weren't ranked. That's already like half the top 20 that wound up being significantly better or worse than where the initial consensus pegged them. Harvard didn't even receive any votes, while teams like Towson and Albany did. There are always a few locks (e.g. Maryland and Virginia are going to be good) but outside of those I wouldn't feel comfortable making a ton of assumptions. Not to mention injuries always end up changing the equation. Just...be good. The rest will take care of itself. If you're good you don't have to worry too much about anyone else.
Of course you're right. I just think it's a good way to engage with the schedule slightly more deeply than just reading it and allowing yourself to set some expectations. And it's kind of fun.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

nyjay wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:33 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:29 pm I used to game out the likely wins and losses before the season but I've learned the only thing that's certain is that it's pretty near impossible to predict. Some of these teams — including possibly us — are going to end up being very different from what the current conventional wisdom is. In last year's preseason poll, UNC was 6th, Loyola was 8th, Cuse was 12th (LOL), Lehigh was 14th, Drexel was 18th. Meanwhile, Princeton, Ohio State, Brown, Harvard, Jacksonville, St. Joe's, and BU weren't ranked. That's already like half the top 20 that wound up being significantly better or worse than where the initial consensus pegged them. Harvard didn't even receive any votes, while teams like Towson and Albany did. There are always a few locks (e.g. Maryland and Virginia are going to be good) but outside of those I wouldn't feel comfortable making a ton of assumptions. Not to mention injuries always end up changing the equation. Just...be good. The rest will take care of itself. If you're good you don't have to worry too much about anyone else.
Of course you're right. I just think it's a good way to engage with the schedule slightly more deeply than just reading it and allowing yourself to set some expectations. And it's kind of fun.
Yeah definitely not trying to stop anyone from having fun just explaining why I'm not picking this year like I usually do. Gun to my head I'd say we're slightly improved from last year and finish the regular season 8-7, so about in line with your projection though I couldn't tell you which 8 we win and which 7 we lose.

Bottom line is I just want to see a positive trajectory — Quint made this point on his podcast earlier and I thought it was generally correct in that it's starting to feel a bit more like a new version of the Jays with its own identity, and not just remnants of the end of Petro's regime mixed weirdly with Pete's initial attempt to put his stamp on the program. It'll be even more defined in a year or two but hoping this is the season where we go back and say oh yeah this is when things started to turn. Outside of "Sag A" actively hoping the team loses, it also feels like alumni support is solid (Crawley has helped with that) and that the vibes in and around Homewood are better than they've been in awhile. "Vibes" won't beat Maryland but it can't hurt to have everyone bought-in.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:52 pm Bottom line is I just want to see a positive trajectory — Quint made this point on his podcast earlier and I thought it was generally correct in that it's starting to feel a bit more like a new version of the Jays with its own identity, and not just remnants of the end of Petro's regime mixed weirdly with Pete's initial attempt to put his stamp on the program. It'll be even more defined in a year or two but hoping this is the season where we go back and say oh yeah this is when things started to turn. Outside of "Sag A" actively hoping the team loses, it also feels like alumni support is solid (Crawley has helped with that) and that the vibes in and around Homewood are better than they've been in awhile. "Vibes" won't beat Maryland but it can't hurt to have everyone bought-in.
I think that's exactly the right answer. Just some real and definite upward trend from last year. If that happens, 2024 is the year to start having some real expectations (i.e. make the tourney and maybe win a game in it). If it doesn't happen, I think the seat starts becomes a little hot for PM in 2024 and I really don't want to live through that after what the last five or so years have been like.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:52 pm Outside of "Sag A" actively hoping the team loses
Not at all true. I will thank you to STOP putting words in my mouth.
I realize you work for the Athletic Department and that a man's entitled to earn a living.
But this sort of nonsense is totally out of bounds, even for you.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:08 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:52 pm Outside of "Sag A" actively hoping the team loses
Not at all true. I will thank you to STOP putting words in my mouth.
I realize you work for the Athletic Department and that a man's entitled to earn a living.
But this sort of nonsense is totally out of bounds, even for you.
Oh my. Learn something everyday
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tomorrow morning: Glenn Clark annual college lacrosse preview show with @D1scourse. @Towson_MLAX, @NavyMLax, @LoyolaMLAX, @UMBC_MLax, @TerpsMLax, @jhumenslacrosse coaches will all join us.

We'll start at 9:40am. Come join us at
https://pressboxonline.com/Radio/

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”