Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Formerhound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Formerhound »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:55 pm Doesn’t matter as it’s a scrimmage but I heard from a Richmond Frs father a couple of offensive starters were out w minor injuries. Just a note as I know it’s real information not to rain on any fans parade because they “won”a
I was at yesterday’s scrimmage. Kamish and Poitras didn’t play. Minicus was great. Freshman had at least five points. He’s a stud. James and Higgins were also very good. Staudt was excellent in goal. 10-6 after three and then backups came in. Pacheco was good at the X and defense played solid.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Minicus was great. Freshman had at least five points.
That’s great to hear,
I personally considered this pickup a real coup by the coaches.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:41 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:11 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:53 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:41 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:23 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:17 pm Hop16 can argue on Lehigh. But the point is the same. People are picking at least 3 teams to finish above Loyola in the PL. Would you or any of our other PL followers take the bet that 3 teams will finish ahead of Loyola in the PL? Just curious.
Well, that seems about right, given they finished third in the league last year, and lose arguably a lot more than 4th place finisher Navy, who are a popular pick to improve this season. Personally, I think BU is a very small cut above the other teams in the conference, and then Army-Navy-Loyola-Lehigh are all bunched in a tier together. I would not be surprised at those teams finishing in any possible order. Nor would I be if BU falls back to the pack this year. I'm relatively low on Army, so right now I'd pick Loyola to finish 2nd or 3rd, depending on Navy's (presumed) improvement. That is mostly based on Toomey's track record as a coach, because it's pretty indisputable that the Hounds lose several key players.
I could look very wrong but I just don't think they're losing as much as people think. Savio and Shafer were 54% and 49%. That's not Riorden and Ierlan leaving. Olmstead had a quite frankly shocking A to TO ratio for a senior X attackman. Lindley was always a secondary piece, a really good one in the right offense, but still secondary. LeBlanc was the third pole. It's just McNulty that concerns me. Middleton is solid but just not at that level and the second LSM is now a bit of a mystery.

I just think it's more replaceable than people realize and a lot of good pieces are still around.
To some extent you may be right — I don't expect them to fall off a cliff or anything and certainly a 3rd defenseman and sub 50% goalie are very replaceable, if not improvable. I think you're underrating Lindley as a finisher a little bit — you can't plug anyone into that spot and just expect an automatic 40 goals on 40% shooting. Finishing is an art and he was very good at it. McNulty and Savio seem like two very big losses to me. Loyola has typically been strong up the middle in large part to those two guys and I doubt the replacement for either will be as impactful. At least not immediately. But it's a weird conference, and they should definitely still be in the mix despite these losses. I'd rather bet on a Toomey team than on most of these other coaches.
I see guys like James and Poitras who are very good finishers benefitting from a reworking of the offense. Again it might not happen but Lindley's skillet required you to play one way and I'm not sure it ended up being the best way. If you want to say conservatively that the new 3rd attackman will score 15 goals you're trying to find 25 from the rest of the guys picking it up. I think that's in range because the high percentage shots won't all be going to Lindley anymore.

It's just a bet on style for me. I don't think a mostly close range finisher gives you enough flexibility when you don't have the dominant dodger and feeder against long poles anymore.
I agree with the post, the offense needs to be reworked... but that has not happened since Spencer left. We tried to fit players into an offense that was not suited for them. Lindley and Olmstead thrived off the fact that Spencer would be doubled or tripled and he could feed them the ball.

I would like to see them run a pairs style offense... If you watch PLL that is what alot of the teams do, and it constantly puts the defense in a bind

We need to find out what offense we can run effectively. Are we downhill dodgers? Wind dodgers? Who can feed.
Lindsey is a true x. Minicus seems like a lefty wing shooter/dodger. Kamish if healthy is the right hand version of that. Higgins is your main up top dodger with Poitras and James able to handle it if he's got the pole plus both can run the two man offenses on their strong wing or play inside. I didn't play at this level so I definitely can't design it but I do think you've got a lot of pieces and skillsets that should fit together pretty well.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Tomorrow morning: Glenn Clark annual college lacrosse preview show with @D1scourse. @Towson_MLAX, @NavyMLax, @LoyolaMLAX, @UMBC_MLax, @TerpsMLax, @jhumenslacrosse coaches will all join us.

We'll start at 9:40am. Come join us at
https://pressboxonline.com/Radio/
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:18 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:55 pm Doesn’t matter as it’s a scrimmage but I heard from a Richmond Frs father a couple of offensive starters were out w minor injuries. Just a note as I know it’s real information not to rain on any fans parade because they “won”a
I was at yesterday’s scrimmage. Kamish and Poitras didn’t play. Minicus was great. Freshman had at least five points. He’s a stud. James and Higgins were also very good. Staudt was excellent in goal. 10-6 after three and then backups came in. Pacheco was good at the X and defense played solid.
Poitras and Kamish are fine and will get their tune up against NC.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

12-12 tie in today’s scrimmage v UNC. Lots of good things. Higgins is a beast so far this year. Some nice work by a few freshmen in Minicus, Murphy and Haberman. Sally with a second goal in two games from LSM. Up 10-9 after three and some subs came in on D. Much better start to this year over last. Will have real issues next week v MD (who doesn’t) but it bodes well for Patriot league.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:29 pm 12-12 tie in today’s scrimmage v UNC. Lots of good things. Higgins is a beast so far this year. Some nice work by a few freshmen in Minicus, Murphy and Haberman. Sally with a second goal in two games from LSM. Up 10-9 after three and some subs came in on D. Much better start to this year over last. Will have real issues next week v MD (who doesn’t) but it bodes well for Patriot league.
Thanks for the notes!!

How did the offense and defense look with the current personnel? I heard poitras recovered from injury and played but kamish did not?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Heard they played solid Defense will have be there saving grace until the freshman can become more acclimated On offense Struggle at the face off x rope unit is solid with sally and Rezanka It drops off after that D better be in shape these first couple of games
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Who is playing in the 3rd D spot? The returning two are aboit as good as there is. That 3rd guy is key this season.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

From their previous scrimmage against Richmond I believe it was Alex bean as the 3rd pole
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Great. UMD will be another tough opener but I am excited to see the new look Hounds next week.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

The Terps are well coached, have outstanding depth at every position with a liberal sprinkling of first team All American players, are game tested (beating Richmond by 11), and defending National Champions. What’s not to like about playing a team with those credentials?
How will the Hounds fare? Who knows? Just hoping our Goalie #21 has a good day (as well as everyone else) but it’s going to be up to Luke to keep it close and give the Hounds a chance. That’s a mighty tall order and I’m wishing him and the team the very best as they go up against the Maryland Juggernaut. Let's hope that playing the best will bring out the best in the Hounds.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Kamish, Poitras, James, and Higgins is a pretty good place to start on offense. With Maryland breaking in 4 new shorties (plus another who rotated in) on defense, I'd expect the Hounds to spend a lot of time making sure they isolate a shorty behind. Loyola had a really hard time last year winning any match-ups against Terp poles, and I wouldn't expect much success this year either. I get you have to attack those poles at some point, but those guys are really good.

But what's happening on the defensive end for the Hounds? Wyers is back and fully healthy. Hughes is back at close, too. Rezanka is a great shorty. Did I see up in the thread that Sally is a LSM now? Staudt in goal?

The Terps offense doesn't look like it's changed much from a scheme perspective. The 2nd midfield did a lot of damage against UR last week.

UR did some interesting things on face-offs. Wierman didn't exactly dominate (10-17). They doubled him on exits. UR also wouldn't allow the Terps to play the sub game the way the Terps like. When the Terps subbed out their LSM and shorties, UR doubled the middie with the ball and shut off the adjacent middie and attackman. They also jumped in a fake 10-man that looked like a zone through the midfield. It was an interesting look on the ride. The Terps really struggled in the 2nd half with it.

Then there's the question of how Loyola responds to last season. After that game in College Park, Toomey was like "I have a locker room of guys that I have to worry about" as his lead during the press conference. It seemed like it took the Hounds a few games to really shake off that loss. What's their mentality going into the game?

Can't wait to see this game. I haven't been to Ridley in a long time, so I'm excited to go there for this game. Great venue. Awesome fans.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Nice SITREP Wheels. Appreciate the insight. Several things. Sally is still a shortie and by all indications has looked well in the scrimmages. Also, feedback on the scrimmages is that Loyola has vastly improved over last year’s results so I’m hopeful. The team was struggling going into the first game at College Park last year and I’m not sure it ever recovered from that blow out. Maryland will do that to you. Toomey was right. He had a team to worry about. This team has a better positive attitude going into the game. They know who they are and what they have and what it will take to be competitive. You're going to need to win your matchups. I'm hopeful the Hounds will overachieve!
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Hounds aren’t expected to win this one. But it’s a great chance to see who is ready to step up against the best competition there is. Cut it loose, get each others backs, and have fun, boys!
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:41 pm Hounds aren’t expected to win this one. But it’s a great chance to see who is ready to step up against the best competition there is. Cut it loose, get each others backs, and have fun, boys!
Looking forward to being at Ridley on Saturday. I agree with you... What I would like to see is how Staudt holds up vs the Terps, FOGOs, and how the young bucs do against a big experienced Defense. McNaney is a stud in goal Zapitello, Makar Geppart are lock down defenders. Depth plus experience will challenge our young players. Learn and get better.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Watching the Richmond UMD highlights. Either Richmond had a bad day or UMD is just that good and have no drop off from last year. It’s most likely both..

So to the coaches and fans here- just how do you attack this defense? How do you get decent looks against such a stout unit.

On the other side- how do you defend their offensive pieces?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:42 am Watching the Richmond UMD highlights. Either Richmond had a bad day or UMD is just that good and have no drop off from last year. It’s most likely both..

So to the coaches and fans here- just how do you attack this defense? How do you get decent looks against such a stout unit.

On the other side- how do you defend their offensive pieces?
I would not try to run and gun with them. I would be patient and limit the number of touches Maryland can have. It will come down to moving the ball efficiently and getting the Maryland D to rotate and find the open man.

We also need to win the contested ground balls. Possession = potential opportunity to score.

Defense will need to slide quickly, be physical and play fast. And our goalie will have to make some saves he would not normally make,

If we keep it close, even if we do not win... it will be a win mentally after what happened last year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

You’re not beating any of their poles; I suppose you could attack Burlace but he’s drawing whoever the #4 dodging option on the other team is, which for you guys I presume is…Higgins? Not sure on any freshmen who may be breaking into the lineup. That match-up is probably a wash. I don’t see where Loyola wins running by Zapitello/Makar/Geppert.

Last year, if you were gonna dodge Maryland, you did it by attacking their shorties from the wing. They weren’t super laterally quick, but really strong. This year I think it may be the inverse, they’re really quick but not quite as strong. If you’ve got some strong midfield dodgers who can get downhill, do it there. But also this is one game guesstimating, hard to know for sure. They still looked really good.

The offenses that caused them problems last two years were UVA and Ohio State. UVA did it by just running by them and shooting the lights out. I don’t think the first is replicable and you will have to do the second one. The Ohio State one could be possible for Loyola because when that offense works well; they do cut and move off ball so well. But Ohio State got them caught in the wash on adjacent picks and over helping so much and killed them inside. Basically the only team to penetrate the crease against them and get great looks. Of course, Jack Myers is a Top 5 attackmen in the country and uniquely great at being a guy who plays pick game and feeds crease. But Loyola has had success in those areas. Maybe a place to target.

I just see Loyola having trouble getting to a dozen or so goals though, esp if Wierman is 60%+.

On the offensive side, my question is Loyola’s poles after Wyers. If they’re strong, I think they could match up well in terms of stopping Maryland from running by them, which they did with ease a year ago. Rezanka likely gets a good matchup. But if it’s an area of weakness…Maryland had no trouble with Richmond a week ago winning matchups. Maltz looks stronger as a dodger, Murphy can pop at times. Long is always a threat. And you always have to account for just how good they are at hedging off their man and cutting to open space and creating tremendous spacing in their sets. It’s the best run offense in the country for a reason.

Loyola will fare better than Richmond, especially with a great home atmosphere, if their speciality teams are strong I could see it being a competitive game for a time but in the range of mid-teens for Maryland to 8-11 to Loyola is what I see
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Freshman Minicus is starting. Rest of offensive group is Kamish, James, Higgins, Lindsey and Poitras. Pocheco needs to win at least 50% for Hounds to have a chance. Have watched offense past two weeks and they are moving the ball very well. Think they can put up double digits v MD.
Defense is strong. Staudt has looked good last two scrimmages and SSDMs are great. Sally has scored in both games and Payton Rezanka is best SSDM in country. Wyers and Hughes anchor tough D.
Think this game will be much closer than last year’s blowout. Key is whether Hounds get any kind of production from second line middies. So far, best has been freshman Murphy. Heard McGorry is out for season with knee injury so that hurts. Can Bateman get back to where he was two years ago or does he do what he did last year (no goals in 15 games). Heuston also injured. He was a force at the end of last year. Binney has been hot and cold. Last year there was a tremendous drop off between 1st and 2nd middie groups. Caused Toomey to play 1st line way too much. They were tired by the end of every game. Lost a bunch of close games by getting out scored badly in 4th quarter. Need second group to produce. If they don’t then Freshmen 4stars may need to step in early and produce. Can’t see Toomey or Van giving the second line group the leash he gave them Last year.

My prediction is 16-12 MD and win next week v Hopkins.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”