Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

DMac wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 7:18 pm Image
If there's a better tasting fresh water fish than walleye I want to taste it. Just had a fillet and was reminded very quickly how good it is. Son gave me a few fillets this summer, I've never caught one (have done quite a bit of fishing too, seem to be more around than there used to be) but he and his buddies catch them fairly regularly. Seasoned it up with salt, pepper and a little dill, did the flour, egg, flour coating, fried it (gotta say to perfection) in shallow oil, drizzled on the lemon. Walleye is really outstanding!!
Brooklyn wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 6:54 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:15 pm
Are you forgetting about Walleye?

That's more for the folks up north (here it's called "out state"). The yokels only use salt & pepper to season it. As a side dish they use wild rice or French fries. Good to see that they have finally learned to use fresh lemon on the side for added flavoring.

In NY folks use garlic-lemon-basil-oregano seasoning mixes along with lemon and melted butter to give seafood real flavor. Unfortunately, fresh water fish does not have the same flavor as seafood as folks here don't know what real seafood is. Several times people have nearly puked or laughed at the thought of me munching on seaweed. In their limited minds only people from the planet Mars do so.

So yes, walleye is a comfort food in these parts. But Swedish meatballs remain number 1.
No question walleye is among the best. My favorite fish fry place has it on occasion and I pick it up regularly at wegmans where I pan sauté skin side down till it’s just cooked through. Its dense, firm texture holds up to anything.
ardilla secreta

I was inspired to luncheon at Hayes Seafood House in the Buffalo suburbs. A restaurant and market. Lucked out and was able to get the Walleyed Pike plate. Awesome!
DFAB63C8-8411-4D27-A3ED-ED8365113227.jpeg
DFAB63C8-8411-4D27-A3ED-ED8365113227.jpeg (99.43 KiB) Viewed 721 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't think my last fillet is going to last long in the freezer, just looking at that makes me want to pull it out and cook it. Hasn't been a cold enough winter to be doing any ice fishing either. :(
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I had wife, weaker cook of the two of us (my son would say she’s third I’m second and he’s the best but for now I have a lead), prepare brussel sprouts w bacon but she used frozen ones and even w bacon grease came up soggy.

A. What to do about the non crispy aspect
B. Is a sweet slightly carmines better than a balsamic (and maybe tiny bit of parm or similar) better and easier to prep? I’ve had both types at high end restaurants but don’t make brussel sprouts at home much because it’s me and maybe 1.25/2 of the kids eating it (wife doesn’t eat vegetables - it’s a joke but whatever)
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
DMac

Post by DMac »

I think you're screwed with frozen sprouts, those are going to be soggy no matter what you do, I think. Gotta get the fresh ones which are pretty easy to find. Sprinkling the brown sugar on that stuff is a real key to it, I think, that bit of a sweet touch sets it off really nicely.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:21 pm I think you're screwed with frozen sprouts, those are going to be soggy no matter what you do, I think. Gotta get the fresh ones which are pretty easy to find. Sprinkling the brown sugar on that stuff is a real key to it, I think, that bit of a sweet touch sets it off really nicely.
Probably right. We just don’t have veggies enough as a family, so I end up tossing too much perishables, basically create two separate meals half of our dinners.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:21 pm I think you're screwed with frozen sprouts, those are going to be soggy no matter what you do, I think. Gotta get the fresh ones which are pretty easy to find. Sprinkling the brown sugar on that stuff is a real key to it, I think, that bit of a sweet touch sets it off really nicely.
Frozen Bs are a no-go. Can’t be done for that recipe. Absolutely no reason to buy frozen Bs.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

DMac wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:17 am I don't think my last fillet is going to last long in the freezer, just looking at that makes me want to pull it out and cook it. Hasn't been a cold enough winter to be doing any ice fishing either. :(
You like to ice when there is ice. What say you about one of my favorite fish dinners on the planet.. beer battered perch?? The bones can be a pain but man they are great eating. They are small but easy to catch. My dad and his friend use to fish for them on Honeyoe Lake decades ago. I have not had perch in many years.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nope, I don't go out on the ice. Fell through it when I was 15, cracked my wrist grabbing for something to keep me from going all the way in (Ice is hard), that ended my days of going out on the ice. Water wasn't really deep enough where I would have gone completely under but it was plenty cold enough and a plenty scary enough experience for me to have no desire to go out and take some ice fisherman's spot. Lot of people go out there but I aint one of 'em.
Perch are very tasty, blue gills and crappie too. You get no bones when I fillet your fish, I've done an awful lot of them and I'm pretty fussy about it. Nothing worse than getting a fishbone stuck in the roof of your mouth or gums....that aint gonna happen with any fish I fillet. Pike are pretty tasty too but that's a fish you have to know what you're doing with when filleting. You can get 5 boneless fillets off of them if you know their bone structure, gotta have a little experience with those. Pickerel are the same but I don't really like screwing around with them, typically they're too skinny and they're really a slimy fish too. All fun to catch though. Biggest perch around here come from Seneca Lake, lot of 'em in there and mostly fatties...nice fish for sure.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am Nope, I don't go out on the ice. Fell through it when I was 15, cracked my wrist grabbing for something to keep me from going all the way in (Ice is hard), that ended my days of going out on the ice. Water wasn't really deep enough where I would have gone completely under but it was plenty cold enough and a plenty scary enough experience for me to have no desire to go out and take some ice fisherman's spot. Lot of people go out there but I aint one of 'em.
Perch are very tasty, blue gills and crappie too. You get no bones when I fillet your fish, I've done an awful lot of them and I'm pretty fussy about it. Nothing worse than getting a fishbone stuck in the roof of your mouth or gums....that aint gonna happen with any fish I fillet. Pike are pretty tasty too but that's a fish you have to know what you're doing with when filleting. You can get 5 boneless fillets off of them if you know their bone structure, gotta have a little experience with those. Pickerel are the same but I don't really like screwing around with them, typically they're too skinny and they're really a slimy fish too. All fun to catch though. Biggest perch around here come from Seneca Lake, lot of 'em in there and mostly fatties...nice fish for sure.
When I was young my dad had a business friend from Webster who had a summer lakeside house in Henderson Harbor on the east side of Lake Ontario. My brother and I would sleep in the boathouse over the lake with sounds of waves lapping. After a day of fishing the men would filet a bunch of perch and bass then the women, mostly my mom, would pan fry in big cast iron skillets outside. That was goooood eatin. Great memories. Occasionally, the small, delicate and delicious lake perch filets from Canada make it to market or fish fry joints. Never miss an opportunity to have them.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

made a no bake strawberry yogurt pie which won't last very long in my fridge - here's a good recipe:

https://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/no- ... urt-cream/

very easy to make & very tasty
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Axios runs these local competitions (voters) this one carved out NYC and felt strange

4.🍕Pizza champ is crowned

Data: Axios survey; Bracket: Jacque Schrag/Axios
Nothing brings a city together — or tears it apart — like arguing over pizza, Axios editor Emma Way writes.

What happened: Axios Local put together the ultimate pizza bracket to crown the best pizza city.

After a week of serious competition, Chicago has been dubbed the champion — and recipient of a free pizza party.
🙄 Our thought bubble: Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Superlatives

Yes, but: While there can only be one best pizza city, we still wanted to name some notable runner-ups and biggest losers:

🤬 Best smack-talking: Richmond beat much-bigger Columbus in round one with the power of shade. "Columbus is a city that takes the simple perfection of pizza, puts it on a cracker, is stingy with sauce and calls that a unique city style. We in Richmond call that a lunchable."

💩 Sorest loser: Philadelphia. After losing in the Elite Ate (and the Super Bowl — ouch!), the Philly newsletter ran a diatribe of disses for all four of the remaining cities. "What's more Philly than talking trash after a loss?"

🫣 Worst loss: Dallas received only 14% of the votes against Chicago in the Elite Ate — the biggest blowout of the bracket.

🥊 Best rivalry smackdown: Atlanta vs. Charlotte. In one of the closest races of the bracket, Atlanta beat out its "cute little Southern shadow."

Read more.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:01 am Axios runs these local competitions (voters) this one carved out NYC and felt strange

Nothing brings a city together — or tears it apart — like arguing over pizza, Axios editor Emma Way writes.

What happened: Axios Local put together the ultimate pizza bracket to crown the best pizza city.

After a week of serious competition, Chicago has been dubbed the champion — and recipient of a free pizza party.

Superlatives

Yes, but: While there can only be one best pizza city, we still wanted to name some notable runner-ups and biggest losers:

🤬 Best smack-talking: Richmond beat much-bigger Columbus in round one with the power of shade. "Columbus is a city that takes the simple perfection of pizza, puts it on a cracker, is stingy with sauce and calls that a unique city style. We in Richmond call that a lunchable."

💩 Sorest loser: Philadelphia. After losing in the Elite Ate (and the Super Bowl — ouch!), the Philly newsletter ran a diatribe of disses for all four of the remaining cities. "What's more Philly than talking trash after a loss?"

🫣 Worst loss: Dallas received only 14% of the votes against Chicago in the Elite Ate — the biggest blowout of the bracket.

🥊 Best rivalry smackdown: Atlanta vs. Charlotte. In one of the closest races of the bracket, Atlanta beat out its "cute little Southern shadow."

Read more.
After reading the article, they left out New York, New Jersey and New Haven. Also, the Chicago they liked was the tavern style, which is like a cracker. Other than Detroit and Chicago, you really need to look hard for decent "American" pizza. Not a big fan of Neopolitan style. I make pizza at home. Sometimes thin, crispy circle with some chew. I also make a thicker pan "Grandma" style that is crisp on the bottom and fluffy. A baking steel helps to crisp up the bottom of any homemade pizza.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

I have had Frank Pepe's from Fairfield CT (also New Haven) a couple of times. Nice thin crust baked in coal fired oven...
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

RedFromMI wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 am I have had Frank Pepe's from Fairfield CT (also New Haven) a couple of times. Nice thin crust baked in coal fired oven...
Was lucky enough to have the Clam Pie at the original Wooster Street location. Also the cheese. Both amazing.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

get it to x wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:52 am
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 am I have had Frank Pepe's from Fairfield CT (also New Haven) a couple of times. Nice thin crust baked in coal fired oven...
Was lucky enough to have the Clam Pie at the original Wooster Street location. Also the cheese. Both amazing.
...and mozzarella is EXTRA on a New Haven pie. Only grated pecorino. The great thing about Pepe's is no two pies are alike (all depends where in the huge coal-fired oven they put your order. I prefer Sally's (down the street on Wooster) but small oven can make the wait interminable.
Don't sleep on Modern Apizza up on State Street either - as good as the other two. Also note that in back of Pepe's in New Haven is a sister place called The Spot - same HUGE oven just accessed from the other side. Good to know when there's a line at Pepe's.

Still also like chewier NYC style pie from Lombardi's on the Lower East Side also a coal-fired brick oven. Mozzarella is NOT extra.
Last edited by Kismet on Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:20 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:01 am Axios runs these local competitions (voters) this one carved out NYC and felt strange

Superlatives

Read more.
After reading the article, they left out New York, New Jersey and New Haven. Also, the Chicago they liked was the tavern style, which is like a cracker. Other than Detroit and Chicago, you really need to look hard for decent "American" pizza. Not a big fan of Neopolitan style. I make pizza at home. Sometimes thin, crispy circle with some chew. I also make a thicker pan "Grandma" style that is crisp on the bottom and fluffy. A baking steel helps to crisp up the bottom of any homemade pizza.
Yes being quite parochial from my time in Manhattan in my comment I meant “Tri state area” broadly.

There’s some good pizza in Atlanta but the food here isn’t the same. To me the quality of food is closely tied to occupancy cost of a market/sub market (waterfront being the caveat) and competition.

But…to share anyone coming to Atlanta I can testify to Anticco and then my buddy who was a cook there opened his own joint a number of hearts back after planning for a decade while smoking ganja after work hours called Varun Napoli. Both are excellent for anyone coming through Atl and wanting pizza
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

New Haven is good but it’s the same 2-3 places always discussed. NYC has many mediocre ones but easily 20 excellent ones. Even Grimaldis and the one just off Spring and Lafayette who’s name escapes me at the moment.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 pm
New Haven is good but it’s the same 2-3 places always discussed. NYC has many mediocre ones but easily 20 excellent ones. Even Grimaldis and the one just off Spring and Lafayette who’s name escapes me at the moment.
Lombardi's at 32 Spring Street (near corner with Mott Street) in NoLita neighborhood. Been there since the 1920s.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The worst? Oneonta NY where they put cold cheese on hot pizza. Was partying with a friend from there 20yrs ago who I waited and bartender with at a ground round during a chunk of my college years (we ran that joint) and she’s like you gotta try this! Uhh, never again.

And oneonta has a way more ghetto party scene than it should for where and what it is…

Cold-Cheese Pizza: The Holy Grail of Drunk Pizza

And we don't mean the leftover kind

/ January 12, 2021 9:17 am
Cold-Cheese Pizza: The Holy Grail of Drunk Pizza
Cold-Cheese Pizza, not to be confused with cheese pizza gone cold, is a run-of-the-mill cheese slice served with a pile, nay, heap of shredded cold mozzarella cheese on top. But, more than that, Cold-Cheese Pizza is a cultural phenomenon and a linchpin in the central New York college experience. Only adding to its allure is the fact that it’s also virtually the only place where you can get it. But, crucially, you can make it pretty much anywhere, as long as you have access to pizza.

Born in Oneonta, New York, at Tino’s Pizza nearly 40 years ago, Cold-Cheese was conceived in the back of a bar — the Black Oak Tavern — largely out of convenience. The piling of the cold cheese atop a hot slice was, initially, meant to prevent the diner from having to wait for their pizza to cool down or, alternately, burning the roof of their mouth.

“What would happen would be, the line would form so long and we were selling the pizza so fast — once it was coming out of the oven, the pizza was already being sold. So it was like piping hot. It was being cut and then onto a plate, and then they were eating it,” Tino Garufi, owner of Tino’s, tells me. “My father, I guess, decided to throw some cold mozzarella on top of a slice and then all of a sudden … it just took off.”

Leave it at that — some cold mozzarella on top of a slice — and you’d have an ingenious creation, but now consider that it tastes surprisingly great, too. I speak from experience. As a direct result of having completed the bulk of my undergraduate degree in Oneonta and living directly across from Tino’s on Main Street, Cold-Cheese Pizza has lived uncontested in my heart for over a decade, despite not having had it in almost as long.

Circa 2010, the road to a slice of cold cheese for me typically began with some ceremonious scorching of my sinuses at the hands of few Burnett’s flavored vodka shots on a Saturday night, followed by a frat party in a dilapidated basement, where I’d sip Keystone from a red solo cup that I’d overpaid five dollars for at the door. Then, after a brisk walk through the hills of Oneonta, I’d invariably wind up at a bar standing shoulder to shoulder with seemingly the entire student body until I couldn’t (stand) anymore. Like clockwork, Closing Time by Semisonic would come on, signaling what was, in theory, the end of the night, but for most — including myself — it meant, “Time for Tino’s.”

“When the college kids are in session and everything, we’ll go through, I mean ballpark, maybe 30, 40 sliced pies. Maybe even more, a night,” Tino says. “Probably more.

it’s the alcohol combining with the cheese and the pizza just filling you up. Soaking up everything.”

Let the record show that there exists no drunk pizza quite like drunk Cold-Cheese Pizza, and while I’d like to think my sense of taste is a little more refined now, it turns out it’s not. For the sake of journalism, I recently purchased a slice of cheese pizza from a shop in my neighborhood and sprinkled some cold mozzarella on top to see if my memory had served me correctly. It had. When speaking to Tino a few days later, I tell him as much.

“I’m [more of] a pepperoni guy,” he tells me in return.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”