Notre Dame 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JeremyCuse

Re: Notre Dame 2023

Post by JeremyCuse »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:31 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:10 pm Most ACC teams have had a bye somewhere in April on the schedule in the 5 team configuration. Notre Dame is usually the one who does the full week off but I think UNC has done it recently as well. Cuse always did a weekend game Notre dame last weekend of March, midweek vs Hobart to start April, then didn't play that weekend, but would play Cornell on the Tuesday. Virginia perhaps infamously played their last regular season game April 24th and had that 3 week gap before playing a tournament game in 2021. Forget about Duke but they also play a gajillion games
'cuse is the only acc team that filled their bye week this year. they must've caught p'ton on their bye.

duke had 2 1/2 weeks last year, and still managed 17 games, they've cut it to 15 this year.

the acc schedule model has really been a cluster. interrupted rivalries with uva/jhu, 'cuse/cornell and army and i'm sure others. they really didn't think this thru that the post-covid year was a one off.
Agreed about the ACC schedules, with the change from the ACC tourney the last few years it has thrown things in a bit of chaos and caused some matchups to be postponed ie Cuse vs Army and Cornell this year, Hop/Virg, UNC and Hop having to play midweek and a few others.

I do agree with the posters who questioned the amount of games ND plays, 12 is just to few. 13 really should be the bare minimum. I personally like the 15 game model as Dukes 17 game schedule they have played consistently seems a bit overkill but I think it makes more sense then 12.

One thing I will say for ND, a mid week game for them is a lot harder then a lot of the East coast teams. SU can play 4 or 5 teams within pretty much an hour midweek in March or April with little issue. SU and Hobart have done it for decades. ND as you pointed out has no real option for that and needs a long bus ride or more likely a flight mid week or get another school to agree to do that mid week which is unlikely to happen especially when you get into April when finals are on the horizon and schedules become hectic.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

JeremyCuse wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:44 am
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:10 pm Most ACC teams have had a bye somewhere in April on the schedule in the 5 team configuration. Notre Dame is usually the one who does the full week off but I think UNC has done it recently as well. Cuse always did a weekend game Notre dame last weekend of March, midweek vs Hobart to start April, then didn't play that weekend, but would play Cornell on the Tuesday. Virginia perhaps infamously played their last regular season game April 24th and had that 3 week gap before playing a tournament game in 2021. Forget about Duke but they also play a gajillion games
'cuse is the only acc team that filled their bye week this year. they must've caught p'ton on their bye.

duke had 2 1/2 weeks last year, and still managed 17 games, they've cut it to 15 this year.

the acc schedule model has really been a cluster. interrupted rivalries with uva/jhu, 'cuse/cornell and army and i'm sure others. they really didn't think this thru that the post-covid year was a one off.
Agreed about the ACC schedules, with the change from the ACC tourney the last few years it has thrown things in a bit of chaos and caused some matchups to be postponed ie Cuse vs Army and Cornell this year, Hop/Virg, UNC and Hop having to play midweek and a few others.

I do agree with the posters who questioned the amount of games ND plays, 12 is just to few. 13 really should be the bare minimum. I personally like the 15 game model as Dukes 17 game schedule they have played consistently seems a bit overkill but I think it makes more sense then 12.

One thing I will say for ND, a mid week game for them is a lot harder then a lot of the East coast teams. SU can play 4 or 5 teams within pretty much an hour midweek in March or April with little issue. SU and Hobart have done it for decades. ND as you pointed out has no real option for that and needs a long bus ride or more likely a flight mid week or get another school to agree to do that mid week which is unlikely to happen especially when you get into April when finals are on the horizon and schedules become hectic.
i haven't heard any pushback on their schedule # other than from people blogging in media or lax sites. p'ton and harvard got in last year with 13 and 12 games, and they missed their 4 team tourney. harvard's doing 12 again, and now so is princeton. notre dame has made the tournament plenty. what if covid or something else cancels your 13th game? there probably is a minimum?

if it were me, i'd schedule more. if the acc really is blowing up this 6 game model next year, nd will likely be back to 12/13 + acc tourney if they make it. or maybe they'll go back to 11!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Should schedule more games period. Skunked last year, arguably the 2nd best team. Shame about Taylor, offense took off when he was inserted.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:05 am

i haven't heard any pushback on their schedule # other than from people blogging in media or lax sites. p'ton and harvard got in last year with 13 and 12 games, and they missed their 4 team tourney. harvard's doing 12 again, and now so is princeton. notre dame has made the tournament plenty. what if covid or something else cancels your 13th game? there probably is a minimum?

if it were me, i'd schedule more. if the acc really is blowing up this 6 game model next year, nd will likely be back to 12/13 + acc tourney if they make it. or maybe they'll go back to 11!
12-13 games is the razor’s edge. Ivy League a little behind the 8 ball as games can’t be scheduled until the 3rd week of February.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:28 am

12-13 games is the razor’s edge. Ivy League a little behind the 8 ball as games can’t be scheduled until the 3rd week of February.
really only matters how many tournament teams you play. you can get plenty in usually in 12 games, especially in the acc because they don't even have the minimum teams to be a real conference.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:41 am

really only matters how many tournament teams you play. you can get plenty in usually in 12 games, especially in the acc because they don't even have the minimum teams to be a real conference.
How many you beat is better than how many you lose to, IMHO. 12 games is a razor’s edge. IMHO
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:47 pm

How many you beat is better than how many you lose to, IMHO. 12 games is a razor’s edge. IMHO
yes, you've said, as have some fans. the coaches don't seem to agree, at least not yet. they're not infallible. when the harvard and princeton threads get started, i expect some consternation there also.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:22 pm

yes, you've said, as have some fans. the coaches don't seem to agree, at least not yet. they're not infallible. when the harvard and princeton threads get started, i expect some consternation there also.
Hard for Notre Dame to get in mid week games. Not a lot of critical mass within a reasonable drive. Ohio State and Michigan Michigan maybe? That could be part of it. But they do start early….It’s a razor’s edge. I 13-14 games leaves a little more room.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:04 pm

Hard for Notre Dame to get in mid week games. Not a lot of critical mass within a reasonable drive. Ohio State and Michigan Michigan maybe? That could be part of it. But they do start early….It’s a razor’s edge. I 13-14 games leaves a little more room.
it's actually not hard. coaches/programs just choose not to do it. imho, because they feel it's not in their better interests. i'm a geek scheduler and have talked to a # of coaches about it. not all of them, obviously. but they all say the same things.

notre dame i believe plays tosu and michigan this year. should be good games for king of the midwest.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:17 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:04 pm

it's actually not hard. coaches/programs just choose not to do it. imho, because they feel it's not in their better interests. i'm a geek scheduler and have talked to a # of coaches about it. not all of them, obviously. but they all say the same things.

notre dame i believe plays tosu and michigan this year. should be good games for king of the midwest.
Tuesday vs OSU and Michigan?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

https://und.com/sports/mlax/schedule/
it looks like they play on the weekends. harvard women have 14 games and princeton 15. do they have to start @ the same time as the men? is saturday feb the 18th the 1st day allowed, or just "the 3rd week"? asking because i don't know.

the high school in my town can't play until the 3rd week of march, a full month after "the week of" feb 18, and somehow get in 14 games by the 1st week of may. and that's with a mandated week (10 days) of spring break.

i get it. fans think it's the razor's edge.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:11 pm https://und.com/sports/mlax/schedule/
it looks like they play on the weekends. harvard women have 14 games and princeton 15. do they have to start @ the same time as the men? is saturday feb the 18th the 1st day allowed, or just "the 3rd week"? asking because i don't know.

the high school in my town can't play until the 3rd week of march, a full month after "the week of" feb 18, and somehow get in 14 games by the 1st week of may. and that's with a mandated week (10 days) of spring break.

The men don’t always play 12.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:32 pm

covid was a b*tch.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:34 pm

covid was a b*tch.
Also, Women have 1 extra conference game. And Temple, for instance is a close midweek game. Unless on break, women won’t head out west to play USC (home). The women have a good schedule. Anything after 2/15 is allowable ( I believe). I believe Captain practices ended for the men Today and they can
have small sessions with the coaches until Wednesday. Glad they won’t have a game on 2/4 or something like that. It would be rough.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:40 pm

covid was a b*tch.
Also, Women have 1 extra conference game. And Temple, for instance is a close midweek game. Unless on break, women won’t head out west to play USC (home). The women have a good schedule. Anything after 2/15 is allowable ( I believe). I believe Captain practices ended for the men Today and they can
have small sessions with the coaches until Wednesday. Glad they won’t have a game on 2/4 or something like that. It would be rough.
again... these are coach and program choices. it hasn't seemed to impact anything to date on game volume. one thing that would be cool is an idea of how and why teams can make the tournament. until then, going forward i'm with the committee.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:51 pm

covid was a b*tch.
again... these are coach and program choices. it hasn't seemed to impact anything to date on game volume. one thing that would be cool is an idea of how and why teams can make the tournament. until then, going forward i'm with the committee.
Actually, UVA has games on the 2/4 and 2/11. Princeton doesn’t choose not to play those two weekends. They can’t. Absent the early start, UVA has 13 games with midweeks at Hopkins and Lafayette….the schedule is “comparable”.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm

covid was a b*tch.
Actually, UVA has games on the 2/4 and 2/11. Princeton doesn’t choose not to play those two weekends. They can’t. Absent the early start, UVA has 13 games with midweeks at Hopkins and Lafayette….the schedule is “comparable”.
i mean, cool? i'm fine with ivies' schedules. the only peeps i have ever seen have a problem with 12 game schedules are fans. not coaches. not committee members.

brown manages to get in 14 games? they're ivy, right? you said the men used to play more. now they don't. i'm saying it doesn't matter. you are saying what? notre dame bad but ivy ok because their own league says they have to start later? i don't get it.

btw, anish says they'll be on a revenge tour. of course, he also says michigan is a lock for the playoffs.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:19 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:55 pm

covid was a b*tch.
i mean, cool? i'm fine with ivies' schedules. the only peeps i have ever seen have a problem with 12 game schedules are fans. not coaches. not committee members.

brown manages to get in 14 games? they're ivy, right? you said the men used to play more. now they don't. i'm saying it doesn't matter. you are saying what? notre dame bad but ivy ok because their own league says they have to start later? i don't get it.

btw, anish says they'll be on a revenge tour. of course, he also says michigan is a lock for the playoffs.
It varies. Is Providence spelled P-R-I-N-C-E-T-O-N? Brown and Princeton on the same academic calendar? Mid-terms, Junior papers and thesis all due at the same time for those two schools? PU play 12 games every year? ND may only schedule 12 because they preference is to have a week to prepare for 'strong' opponents. How far is Brown traveling for the Providence and Bryant games? They getting in the night before?
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

the ivy woe is me late start times mantra will have to wait another sport year at least, methinks.

i'm actually a little shocked you of all people has fallen for it.

how did the tigers look in the fall?
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:37 pm the ivy woe is me late start times mantra will have to wait another sport year at least, methinks.

i'm actually a little shocked you of all people has fallen for it.

how did the tigers look in the fall?
You believe starting two weeks later has no impact on scheduling with the advent of conference play and conference tournaments? I agree to disagree. 12 games is light. The coach said so himself, but what does he know. Probably lying about preferring to play more games.... looked fine against OSU. Quick tempo offense. New face on attack. Defense should be good. As much success as last season? who knows.. Hard to tell. Face-off units improved also.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”