Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:06 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.
Maryland scored two goals early in the third and then didn't score again for the rest of the game.

Cornell did hit a pipe, though; everyone thought it was a goal at first and would have cut the deficit to 2 with about 5 minutes to play, but it was subsequently called back. They also had at least one other pipe, in the first half.

I'm pretty sure most watching the game that day - including the announcers - thought Maryland survived by the skin of their teeth, that they were completely gassed at the end, and that Cornell merely ran out of time (and, on the pipe play, luck).
That's exactly my point. The momentum in the second half was clearly on Cornell's side, they were playing with so much energy, and Maryland was gassed. Maryland won, but survived. In no case can it be called anything close to dominated.
Agreed
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
semsox

Post by semsox »

On the Lacrosse All Stars Podcast feed, Quint has a 30ish minute interview with Gavin Adler.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

For those who don't remember, in 1976, Maryland also led 7-2 at the half. We know how that one turned out.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Cornell seemed a bit tight in the first half of the 2022 NC game. It was hard to tell if it was nerves or if Maryland was creating a lot of onfield pressure. Coach Buczek noted this in his post game comments. During the second half, they found their game, and were impressive.

The NCAA playoff games were a great string off well coached and well played games. I'm not surprised by the media voting. My impression is that Cornell is viewed as a solid program with good lacrosse, good people, but perennially on the outside looking in. 2023 is certainly an opportunity to change that perception.
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Unfortunately (and to Maryland's credit) the Big Red let the game get away from them for several minutes in the first half and that ultimately was the difference.
The 2nd half was an entirely different story after the first few minutes. I believe Cornell held Maryland scoreless for 27 minutes. The Terps' (deservedly) heralded offense did not experience a run like that all season.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:14 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:06 pm
ICGrad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.
Maryland scored two goals early in the third and then didn't score again for the rest of the game.

Cornell did hit a pipe, though; everyone thought it was a goal at first and would have cut the deficit to 2 with about 5 minutes to play, but it was subsequently called back. They also had at least one other pipe, in the first half.

I'm pretty sure most watching the game that day - including the announcers - thought Maryland survived by the skin of their teeth, that they were completely gassed at the end, and that Cornell merely ran out of time (and, on the pipe play, luck).
That's exactly my point. The momentum in the second half was clearly on Cornell's side, they were playing with so much energy, and Maryland was gassed. Maryland won, but survived. In no case can it be called anything close to dominated.
Agreed
Sitting in the stands I was gassed in that inferno. The energy that Cornell played with until the end was extremely impressive. I certainly agree that with 5 more minutes they may well have taken it. Some games are like that though and while it will never cease to be a source of regret for those who played in the game, hopefully everyone has been able to turn the page and get fired up for this new year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

semsox wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:31 pm On the Lacrosse All Stars Podcast feed, Quint has a 30ish minute interview with Gavin Adler.
Really worth listening to. Not only to get an idea of Adler's views, but also to understand the 2020/2021 seasons' specifics, and their impact on players.
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Cornell and Georgetown are the only schools with two players on Inside Lacrosse's Men's Tewaaraton Preseason Top 10 Watch List. Unsurprisingly, Cornell's are Kirst & Adler. Adler is also one of only two defenders on the list, the other being Georgetown's Bowen.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Ivy League Media Day-- over 2 hours of team by team discussion. Cornell segment with Coach Buczek, Adler and Ierlan is just before the 22 minute mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vImSvVILiSs
henryben

Post by henryben »

faircornell wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 11:34 pm
semsox wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:31 pm On the Lacrosse All Stars Podcast feed, Quint has a 30ish minute interview with Gavin Adler.
Really worth listening to. Not only to get an idea of Adler's views, but also to understand the 2020/2021 seasons' specifics, and their impact on players.
Listening to him, it really comes through how cowardly and unfair the Ivy League was to its athletes in 2021. It was ridiculous.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Of the eight IL experts, only one thinks that Cornell will make the Final Four, and none are predicting Cornell as the national champion either outright or as a "dark horse".

It's good to be underestimated.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

IL's Men's DI Media Poll: Virginia on Top, Three Ivy League Teams in Top 20 For Preseason
Monday January 24th, 2022 <———
--------------------------------------------------
Division I Media Poll
Rank Team Points Prev
1 Virginia (0 - 0) 399 (19) --
2 Maryland (0 - 0) 371 (1) --
3 Duke (0 - 0) 341 --
4 Georgetown (0 - 0) 330 --
5 Notre Dame (0 - 0) 324 --
6 North Carolina (0 - 0) 314 --
7 Yale (0 - 0) 240 --
8 Loyola (0 - 0) 235 --
9 Rutgers (0 - 0) 207 --
10 Army (0 - 0) 188 --
11 Penn (0 - 0) 179 --
12 Syracuse (0 - 0) 177 --
12 Denver (0 - 0) 177 --
14 Lehigh (0 - 0) 176 --
15 Cornell (0 - 0) 85 --
16 Delaware (0 - 0) 72 --
17 Vermont (0 - 0) 68 --
18 Drexel (0 - 0) 67 --
19 Johns Hopkins (0 - 0) 53 --
20 Bryant (0 - 0) 37 --

Receiving Votes:
Navy, Ohio State, Villanova, High Point, Penn State, Princeton, Richmond, Brown, Towson, Michigan, UAlbany

----------------------------------------------

:lol: :lol:
Last edited by 10stone5 on Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:57 pm Of the eight IL experts, only one thinks that Cornell will make the Final Four, and none are predicting Cornell as the national champion either outright or as a "dark horse".

Kevin Brown: Notre Dame
With fire under their bellies after missing out on the big dance in 2022, the Irish look even more complete in the midfield and have another year of offseason development for Chris Kavanagh to create the one-two punch with his brother, Pat, that defenses in the ACC and beyond won't be able to handle.

Matt Kinnear: Notre Dame
How much of exercise is done on “gut” more than anything? It’s always smart to pick Maryland. Virginia is the on-paper pick, and the top three ACC teams are all contenders. Georgetown’s right there in terms of roster talent. Basically any Ivy League team is a solid pick. So what differentiates? It’s predicting the more ambiguous things like momentum, chemistry and timing. I think missing the tournament brings a renewed sense of focus for the Irish (and Duke, as well). Remember they were the team that hung best with a historic Maryland team early last year. They were right there as contenders, so just a little push gets them over the edge. I realize personnel is different —Jake Taylor’s injury is a concern, and the D is mostly replaced — but I’m betting on the proven defensive transfers, Ryan Wellner’s coaching and Liam Entenmann in net.
I didn’t really want to read that IL article,
but at least I got a few laughs.

faircornell

Post by faircornell »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:47 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 3:57 pm Of the eight IL experts, only one thinks that Cornell will make the Final Four, and none are predicting Cornell as the national champion either outright or as a "dark horse".

Kevin Brown: Notre Dame
With fire under their bellies after missing out on the big dance in 2022, the Irish look even more complete in the midfield and have another year of offseason development for Chris Kavanagh to create the one-two punch with his brother, Pat, that defenses in the ACC and beyond won't be able to handle.

Matt Kinnear: Notre Dame
How much of exercise is done on “gut” more than anything? It’s always smart to pick Maryland. Virginia is the on-paper pick, and the top three ACC teams are all contenders. Georgetown’s right there in terms of roster talent. Basically any Ivy League team is a solid pick. So what differentiates? It’s predicting the more ambiguous things like momentum, chemistry and timing. I think missing the tournament brings a renewed sense of focus for the Irish (and Duke, as well). Remember they were the team that hung best with a historic Maryland team early last year. They were right there as contenders, so just a little push gets them over the edge. I realize personnel is different —Jake Taylor’s injury is a concern, and the D is mostly replaced — but I’m betting on the proven defensive transfers, Ryan Wellner’s coaching and Liam Entenmann in net.
I didn’t really want to read that IL article,
but at least I got a few laughs.

While Cornell might end the season at #15, one must wonder how much thinking actually goes into these rankings. Cornell lost John Piatelli, which is significant. Most of the other key contributors are back, and a few players showed some great progress in Ireland last summer.
semsox

Post by semsox »

While it was underlined, one must point out that those were the pre-season rankings prior to last season.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Yeah,
I went to Internet Archive to find that one.

I just found that humorous, well … maybe ironic.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

semsox wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:19 pm While it was underlined, one must point out that those were the pre-season rankings prior to last season.
Sorry..
thanks for the clarification. However, nothing surprises me these days.
OldRedLax

Post by OldRedLax »

Game week! Any predictions for the starting lineup?

The Big Red are back! LGR
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

OldRedLax wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:38 am Game week! Any predictions for the starting lineup?

The Big Red are back! LGR
Scrimmage, not a game. Wish it were.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

USA Lacrosse article on Connoe Buczek: https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... erfect-fit

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”