Post by 10stone5 »

No 1st place votes from IL,

I guess that DI final, close call against the Terps,
didn’t really happen.
ICGrad

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:20 pm No 1st place votes from IL,

I guess that DI final, close call against the Terps, didn’t really happen.
Last year was last year.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Lax All Stars has Cornell as the sixth most likely to win the 2023 NCAA Championship.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Cornell has 4 players on the Inside Lacrosse preseason All America teams, two on the first team (Adler & Kirst) and two honorable mentions (Kelleher & Blake). https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... e-56083373
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

I'm a bit surprised that Ierland doesn't get a bit more of a mention in the pre-season hype. He led the team through 19 games, put up highly respectable numbers (53% save average and 11+ saves per game) against many of the best teams in the country. In many games, he was the real difference maker in getting the "W".

Anyway... better to be underestimated going into the season. Go Big Red!
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

didn’t really happen.
I was reading Lacrosse Playground's read on the Terps for 2023, and saw this.
Watching Maryland dominate Cornell last year in the National Championship was a foregone conclusion many of us reached when the Terps completed their undefeated season heading into the 2022 NCAA Tournament.
Uh...did he watch the same game? Because even as a Terp fan...they just survived Cornell. Hell of team you guys have for next year.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

1) I don’t know how last years D1 final is in any way relevant to whether they should be ranked #1 this year. If you just want to use last years results well they lost the game so then just rank Maryland #1 and Cornell…wouldn’t get any 1st place votes. I’d have them in my Top 5 but finishing runner-up last year doesn’t guarantee you first place votes the next year

2) Cornell played a great game, they had a great run, they’ll be in the mix this year. I feel like the longer we go from that game the more we make it out to be the most competitive title game ever or something. No disrespect to Cornell but they were down like 6 goals at halftime and 7 goals late in the 3rd quarter and they never trailed by less than 3 goals. Was it rather dramatic and compelling at the end? Yes. Did Maryland *barely* survive? I’m not sure how you barely survive a game that would have required you to give up 4 more goals in order to lose

Anyhow, best of luck to the Big Red
Last edited by jrn19 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am 1) I don’t know how last years D1 final is in any way relevant to whether they should be ranked #1 this year. If you just want to use last years results well they lost the game so then just rank Maryland #1 and Cornell…wouldn’t get any 1st place votes. I’d have them in my Top 5 but finishing runner-up last year doesn’t guarantee you first place votes the next year

2) Cornell played a great game, they had a great run, they’ll be in the mix this year. I feel like the longer we go from that game the more we make it out to be the most competitive title game ever or something. No disrespect to Cornell but they were down like 6 goals at halftime and 7 goals late in the 4th quarter and they never trailed by less than 3 goals. Was it rather dramatic and compelling at the end? Yes. Did Maryland *barely* survive? I’m not sure how you barely survive a game that would have required you to give up 4 more goals in order to lose

Check your math, pal...and your memory...and the final score.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

PulpExposure wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:57 am

didn’t really happen.
I was reading Lacrosse Playground's read on the Terps for 2023, and saw this.
Watching Maryland dominate Cornell last year in the National Championship was a foregone conclusion many of us reached when the Terps completed their undefeated season heading into the 2022 NCAA Tournament.
Uh...did he watch the same game?
Because even as a Terp fan...they just survived Cornell. Hell of team you guys have for next year.
:lol:
That’s a no.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 9:56 pm I'm a bit surprised that Ierland doesn't get a bit more of a mention in the pre-season hype. He led the team through 19 games, put up highly respectable numbers (53% save average and 11+ saves per game) against many of the best teams in the country. In many games, he was the real difference maker in getting the "W".

Anyway... better to be underestimated going into the season. Go Big Red!
Because it’s hard to keep talking when Adler and Kirst deserve so much time
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Gobigred wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:53 am
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am 1) I don’t know how last years D1 final is in any way relevant to whether they should be ranked #1 this year. If you just want to use last years results well they lost the game so then just rank Maryland #1 and Cornell…wouldn’t get any 1st place votes. I’d have them in my Top 5 but finishing runner-up last year doesn’t guarantee you first place votes the next year

2) Cornell played a great game, they had a great run, they’ll be in the mix this year. I feel like the longer we go from that game the more we make it out to be the most competitive title game ever or something. No disrespect to Cornell but they were down like 6 goals at halftime and 7 goals late in the 4th quarter and they never trailed by less than 3 goals. Was it rather dramatic and compelling at the end? Yes. Did Maryland *barely* survive? I’m not sure how you barely survive a game that would have required you to give up 4 more goals in order to lose

Check your math, pal...and your memory...and the final score.
5 goals at halftime. Meant 7 goals late in the 3rd quarter, that’s genuinely my bad, but it was 9-2. And Cornell never got the ball with a chance to cut it to 1 or even tie. Very compelling, nice comeback. They didn’t barely survive. That’s all.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am I’m not sure how you barely survive a game that would have required you to give up 4 more goals in order to lose
What now?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:32 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:23 am I’m not sure how you barely survive a game that would have required you to give up 4 more goals in order to lose
What now?
Let's see. They lost 9-7, and I know I only have a meager Ivy league education but I would swear that we would have had to score 3 more goals to win. Has math changed? Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.

Look, Cornell is absolutely loaded everywhere on the field this year and arguably have the best attackmen in the country in KIRST and the best close defender in ADLER, so if publication's and polls want to disrespect us, fine but this Homer would have ranked ;
1. MD
2. Cornell
3. Virginia
4. Georgetown
5. Yale
For my top 5.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.
Maryland scored two goals early in the third and then didn't score again for the rest of the game.

Cornell did hit a pipe, though; everyone thought it was a goal at first and would have cut the deficit to 2 with about 5 minutes to play, but it was subsequently called back. They also had at least one other pipe, in the first half.

I'm pretty sure most watching the game that day - including the announcers - thought Maryland survived by the skin of their teeth, that they were completely gassed at the end, and that Cornell merely ran out of time (and, on the pipe play, luck).
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.
Maryland scored two goals early in the third and then didn't score again for the rest of the game.

Cornell did hit a pipe, though; everyone thought it was a goal at first and would have cut the deficit to 2 with about 5 minutes to play, but it was subsequently called back. They also had at least one other pipe, in the first half.

I'm pretty sure most watching the game that day - including the announcers - thought Maryland survived by the skin of their teeth, that they were completely gassed at the end, and that Cornell merely ran out of time (and, on the pipe play, luck).
That's exactly my point. The momentum in the second half was clearly on Cornell's side, they were playing with so much energy, and Maryland was gassed. Maryland won, but survived. In no case can it be called anything close to dominated.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm
What now?
Let's see. They lost 9-7, and I know I only have a meager Ivy league education but I would swear that we would have had to score 3 more goals to win. Has math changed? Also, during their comeback run against MD, I believe they hit a pipe that rebounded to MD for an easy goal.

Look, Cornell is absolutely loaded everywhere on the field this year and arguably have the best attackmen in the country in KIRST and the best close defender in ADLER, so if publication's and polls want to disrespect us, fine but this Homer would have ranked ;
1. MD
2. Cornell
3. Virginia
4. Georgetown
5. Yale
For my top 5.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Legends are made in peoples heads.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

ICGrad wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:50 pm

There’s no such thing as running out of time. The game is 60 minutes. They played the length of the game every game is and Maryland won. Maryland played a 2 goal game against a Notre Dame earlier in the year as well. It was a close game, also Cornell never got the ball with a chance to pull within 1, let alone tie the game, let alone take the lead.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:42 pm
What now?

1. MD
2. Cornell
3. Virginia
4. Georgetown
5. Yale
For my top 5.
Gobigred
Joewillie78
Yale at 5 eh? That D needs to elevate this year. Have the personnel but is the D AC up to it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”