Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:13 am https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/1/2 ... ceoff.aspx

The opener at Jacksonville on Feb. 4 is the earliest the Blue Jays have ever played a regular season game. At least it'll be warm?

Team GPA was 3.43 in the fall. For Hopkins, that is quite good.
the tv schedule for espn came out the thursday before the first game I think last year. big ten network used to do preseason interviews w/coaches and a player from each team and they don't even do that anymore. no effort whatsoever to build any kind of interest in the sport.

IL gets a lot of heat but a decade ago they made a real effort to promote the sport w/those in season nfl stadium games.

academic stuff is good. this team can't afford to lose guys for off field issues.

aside from the lack of blue jays on the IL preseason aa list (which is sadly something that's become a foregone conclusion) I was struck by the number of guys we'll see on the defensive end. Degnon is really going to face an avalanche all season long.

Shacks older sister does a very nice job on the broadcasts.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:06 am aside from the lack of blue jays on the IL preseason aa list (which is sadly something that's become a foregone conclusion) I was struck by the number of guys we'll see on the defensive end. Degnon is really going to face an avalanche all season long.
I don't think teams are going to want to move their top defensemen off of Melendez. Just a hunch. He's easily the best athlete we've had in that role since pre-injury Epstein. Teams gluing their best AA cover guys on Degnon plays into what we want to do. He doesn't need the ball in his stick to be effective. How many of his 40 goals last year came off dodges? He's become a better dodger than some give him credit for but that's not his biggest strength.

In any event, the midfield is going to have to shoulder a lot of the load. You are right about one thing — we need big seasons out of Grimes and Peshko. Grimes was on his way toward one before getting hurt last year. 7 goals in his first 3 games. There's a shot of him on Instagram shooting with his right hand — if that gets added to his repertoire, that'd come in handy.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:13 am https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/1/2 ... ceoff.aspx

The opener at Jacksonville on Feb. 4 is the earliest the Blue Jays have ever played a regular season game. At least it'll be warm?

Team GPA was 3.43 in the fall. For Hopkins, that is quite good.
Back in the dark ages (when I was in Bawlamer), 2.43 was quite good. Ivy grade inflation spreads.... :lol:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:18 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:59 pm "...as simple as that..."
I would humbly suggest that Shack feeding Jackson would be comparable to Mickey Webster feeding Billy Morrill. Not a bad thing IMO. Petro knew that.
Anyway...just sayin'
Morrill wasn’t a finisher. He was a feeder himself. Thus the issue.
I watched both play in HS and both were excellent shooters as well, though their primary roles on their teams were as creators, feeders.

Put 2 with such high lax IQ on the field, please. Magic can happen.
They wanted to. Morrill didn’t. There ya go.
That's what happened at Yale instead.
First with Reeves, then with Brandau.
And Gaudet as finisher.

Jackson ranks second at Yale in career points (220) and fifth in career assists (113) despite abbreviated senior year.
Then had 70 points at Denver in grad year, with record single season high at DU of 37 assists.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:53 pm
jrn19 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:40 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:18 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:59 pm "...as simple as that..."
I would humbly suggest that Shack feeding Jackson would be comparable to Mickey Webster feeding Billy Morrill. Not a bad thing IMO. Petro knew that.
Anyway...just sayin'
Morrill wasn’t a finisher. He was a feeder himself. Thus the issue.
I watched both play in HS and both were excellent shooters as well, though their primary roles on their teams were as creators, feeders.

Put 2 with such high lax IQ on the field, please. Magic can happen.
They wanted to. Morrill didn’t. There ya go.
That's what happened at Yale instead.
First with Reeves, then with Brandau.
And Gaudet as finisher.

Jackson ranks second at Yale in career points (220) and fifth in career assists (113) despite abbreviated senior year.
Then had 70 points at Denver in grad year, with record single season high at DU of 37 assists.
Would Hopkins get Wells and Shack today? I don't know, but I do think PM has a somewhat harder job because of how far back the last real success occurred. And that's based on what level you consider a success for Hopkins; Tourney, Final Four or NC.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The point of my post was not really about Jackson Morill. It was that certain posters will go to absurd legnths to falsely create "deficiencies" that Milliman has relative to his predecessor.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Speaking of Navy, is anyone planning on attending Hopkins @ Navy on St. Patrick's Day evening?
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:24 pm Speaking of Navy, is anyone planning on attending Hopkins @ Navy on St. Patrick's Day evening?
It's in the middle of a neighborhood, but Annapolis is a great venue. All of the battle names on the risers. My father used to say they had a very difficult away schedule.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

get it to x wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:58 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:24 pm Speaking of Navy, is anyone planning on attending Hopkins @ Navy on St. Patrick's Day evening?
My father used to say they had a very difficult away schedule.
Love it!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:48 pm Navy getting serious:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... iver/60579
they took the clc idea and added some chairs on the roof and windows on the bottom floor.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

What’re your guys predictions for the starting roster?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Here's my guess on the starters (fair bit of uncertainty once you get past the obvious names):

A - Degnon, Melendez, Angelus
M1 - Grimes, Peshko, McDermott
M2 - Collison, Maher, Evans
LSM - Mazzone
LSM2 - Kaufman/Deans
SSDM - Martin, Jaronski
D - Smith, Szuluk (hurt apparently?)/Todaro, Kaufman
G - Caracciolo
FO - Narewski/Callahan/Dunn

Other guys who will see time:

A - Marquis, Krampf
M - Bauer, Chauvette, English, Hawley (FO wing)
SSDM - Hansor, Glassmeyer, Raposo
D - Ruddy, Trepeta/Didden
G - Marcille
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Definitely think Bauer gets on the field in some capacity. Would also add Phillips to the mix at midfield.

Do not think we'll be seeing Glassmeyer. More likely to see Ince and maybe Reen. Haven't heard much about that group outside the known quantities though.

The rest seems about right. Have heard Marcille is making goalie interesting. We'll know a lot more in two days.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:07 pm Definitely think Bauer gets on the field in some capacity. Would also add Phillips to the mix at midfield.

Do not think we'll be seeing Glassmeyer. More likely to see Ince and maybe Reen. Haven't heard much about that group outside the known quantities though.

The rest seems about right. Have heard Marcille is making goalie interesting. We'll know a lot more in two days.
I initially had Phillips on the second midfield, but swapped him out for Evans. Forget to add him back below. Struggled with the SSDMs. No real idea beyond the top 2.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:04 pm Here's my guess on the starters (fair bit of uncertainty once you get past the obvious names):

LSM - Mazzone
LSM2 - Kaufman/Deans
SSDM - Martin, Jaronski
G - Caracciolo

A - Marquis, Krampf
G - Marcille
Talented roster.

Here’s hopin’ for a winning season!

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:30 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm I guess you don’t know. People have a choice. I mentioned this months ago. It it is not new.
I do know, I know for a fact they offered the middle brother who just committed to UVA last fall and recruited him.

You also have failed to mention who the other legacy's were that SU "allegedly" ignored.
I don't know how many brothers/sons/grandsons/greatgrandsons/nephews of program and university alumni played under Petro but w/his ejection that all dried up unless they're top of the line recruits right? Like there were always fringe kids at the bottom of the roster that you'd look at the end of the year and see they'd played in 1-2 games at most but had a dad or someone that had played in the 70s or 80s.
There's definitely a lot of examples of legacy kids who are on teams mostly because they are a legacy. SU has had a few of those and I am sure Hop and others have as well. Legacy's in general can be tricky, for every teenager who can't wait to follow in their father's footsteps there are just as many who want to blaze their own path. You also run into some parents having an unrealistic expectation on playing time and recruitment based on their son being a legacy.
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

It's a home game isn't it? Only question is whether the weather will be warm and dry enough to bicycle to Annapolis. Then avoiding the amateur drinkers on the way back.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Coach Crawley mic'd up: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn7C2AiMMFt/

New Hopkins lacrosse newsletter: https://www.canva.com/design/DAFRjgTZ2a ... qMZ_Q/view

Two good pieces of content in one day: This is jhu06's Super Bowl.

Newsletter has comments from Baker, Milliman, and more. Confirms Joey is at SAIS which should put to rest the absolutely ridiculous conspiracy theories. Some things are much bigger than lax and a SAIS degree is going to set him up for life.

Men's locker rooms getting renovated this summer.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:21 am
nyjay wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 8:04 pm Here's my guess on the starters (fair bit of uncertainty once you get past the obvious names):

LSM - Mazzone
LSM2 - Kaufman/Deans
SSDM - Martin, Jaronski
G - Caracciolo

A - Marquis, Krampf
G - Marcille
Talented roster.

Here’s hopin’ for a winning season!

DocBarrister :)
You need a lot of hope against this schedule.

Overmatched: UMD, UVA, Georgetown
Tough Games: Rutgers, Ohio State, UNC
Tough Games at their place: SU, Loyola

The Jays would have to pick off some of these and be near perfect against the rest of the schedule to reach .500 this year.
An opening loss at Jacksonville would put this team on the downslope of .500 right off the bat.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”