Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HappyHourLax

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HappyHourLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am Kaufman is going to play. Would have pegged him as the #2 LSM behind Mazzone, but now with a presumed starting close D guy banged up I'm not sure how it'll shake out. Might have to move some parts around. Lots of guys with both D and LSM designations. Maybe Mazzone plays on the faceoff wings but then stays on the field and bumps down to close D. Pat Foley used to do that. I know they like both of the freshman defensemen from Deerfield but they may not be ready yet. Agree that it shouldn't be the end of the world — if it is, your defense wasn't as good as you thought it'd be — and that the main question/area of concern remains putting more goals in the net this season than last.
Kaufman is fantastic. Expecting a big leap from him this year.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://twitter.com/RUmlax

the rutgers lacrosse game day nutrition plan is to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day. "Hopkins has sub-par facilities and amenities" appears to be another narrative that doesn't hold weight.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 pm https://twitter.com/RUmlax

the rutgers lacrosse game day nutrition plan is to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches all day. "Hopkins has sub-par facilities and amenities" appears to be another narrative that doesn't hold weight.
Is this an admission of guilt? Because you're one of the people pushing that narrative.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:30 pm
JeremyCuse wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:18 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm I guess you don’t know. People have a choice. I mentioned this months ago. It it is not new.
I do know, I know for a fact they offered the middle brother who just committed to UVA last fall and recruited him.

You also have failed to mention who the other legacy's were that SU "allegedly" ignored.
I don't know how many brothers/sons/grandsons/greatgrandsons/nephews of program and university alumni played under Petro but w/his ejection that all dried up unless they're top of the line recruits right? Like there were always fringe kids at the bottom of the roster that you'd look at the end of the year and see they'd played in 1-2 games at most but had a dad or someone that had played in the 70s or 80s.
Dried up? Name one JHU leagcy player (not named Pietramala) that you wanted at JHU under the Milliman regime? I can certainly remember the last one that Petro whiffed on (Jackson Morrill).
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:15 pm
jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 pm https://twitter.com/RUmlax

Is this an admission of guilt? Because you're one of the people pushing that narrative.
The freshman cafeteria is next door, they just redid the student athletic center, I've said for a long time here they practiced in the elements while I was a student and did just fine.

I'm not part of the bubble conversations and had no idea until I read it here that was even a thing.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:05 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:58 pm I guess you don’t know. People have a choice. I mentioned this months ago. It it is not new.
I do know, I know for a fact they offered the middle brother who just committed to UVA last fall and recruited him.

You also have failed to mention who the other legacy's were that SU "allegedly" ignored.
I don't know how many brothers/sons/grandsons/greatgrandsons/nephews of program and university alumni played under Petro but w/his ejection that all dried up unless they're top of the line recruits right? Like there were always fringe kids at the bottom of the roster that you'd look at the end of the year and see they'd played in 1-2 games at most but had a dad or someone that had played in the 70s or 80s.
Dried up? Name one JHU leagcy player (not named Pietramala) that you wanted at JHU under the Milliman regime? I can certainly remember the last one that Petro whiffed on (Jackson Morrill).
A fourth generation Morrill that rejected JHU...!!!
I still cannot fathom what was the whiff of the century.
What was the story behind that screw up ?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm A fourth generation Morrill that rejected JHU...!!!
Shack Stanwick, who was the top recruit in the country at the time, was already committed. Morrill didn't think he'd play much with Shack ahead of him. It was as simple as that.

Petro made mistakes in recruiting but I don't really fault him for that. Every program in the country wanted Shack, who was widely seen as a can't-miss prospect. He ended up having a very good career (7th all-time in assists) that would have been even better if not for an assortment of injuries including a serious one to his back.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

"...as simple as that..."
I would humbly suggest that Shack feeding Jackson would be comparable to Mickey Webster feeding Billy Morrill. Not a bad thing IMO. Petro knew that.
Anyway...just sayin'
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:05 pm

A fourth generation Morrill that rejected JHU...!!!
Yale?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 6:59 pm "...as simple as that..."
I would humbly suggest that Shack feeding Jackson would be comparable to Mickey Webster feeding Billy Morrill. Not a bad thing IMO. Petro knew that.
Anyway...just sayin'
yes, it could have been a heck of a combo.
This idea that only one "QB" can play doesn't hold water.
Give me great lax IQ on the field together and they can make magic.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:23 pm
Anyway...just sayin'
You appear to be misunderstanding this. That was one of Morrill's own reasons for not choosing Hopkins. Petro very much recruited him.

https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... c-families
If you’re wondering how Morrill ended up at Yale instead of Hopkins – where his father teamed up as a junior with current Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala on the ’87 title team – Mike Morrill says it came down to two factors.

One was a compelling recruiting pitch by Shay. The other was the presence of then-attackman/quarterback Shack Stanwick as a fixture at Homewood, where Stanwick would be a junior during Morrill’s freshman year.

“We had a fantastic recruiting trip to Hopkins, and our first visit to Yale really resonated with [Jackson]. We went back two more times. It was clear Andy really wanted him,” Mike Morrill says. “With Shack there [at Hopkins], we didn’t know if Jackson would play [for those first two years]. He wasn’t too excited about that.”
Some of your guys' memories are atrocious. This has been discussed here probably a dozen times and I find it very hard to believe this is the first you're hearing of it.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:13 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 4:40 pm A fourth generation Morrill that rejected JHU...!!!
Shack Stanwick, who was the top recruit in the country at the time, was already committed. Morrill didn't think he'd play much with Shack ahead of him. It was as simple as that.

Petro made mistakes in recruiting but I don't really fault him for that. Every program in the country wanted Shack, who was widely seen as a can't-miss prospect. He ended up having a very good career (7th all-time in assists) that would have been even better if not for an assortment of injuries including a serious one to his back.
Yes, this has been discussed on these boards before.

And on the Yale side of the equation, Reeves was an unknown quantity who de-committed from Hobart; and of course (as MDlaxfan76 says above), great lacrosse IQs can play well together. Plus, Jackson's mom was a Dartmouth alum, so the family was well aware of the benefits of an Ivy League diploma.

As someone who grew up in one college town, I can appreciate wanting to get away and go to college elsewhere.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Anyway...just sayin'
You appear to be misunderstanding this. That was one of Morrill's own reasons for not choosing Hopkins. Petro very much recruited him.

If you’re wondering how Morrill ended up at Yale instead of Hopkins – where his father teamed up as a junior with current Blue Jays coach Dave Pietramala on the ’87 title team – Mike Morrill says it came down to two factors.

One was a compelling recruiting pitch by Shay. The other was the presence of then-attackman/quarterback Shack Stanwick as a fixture at Homewood, where Stanwick would be a junior during Morrill’s freshman year.

“We had a fantastic recruiting trip to Hopkins, and our first visit to Yale really resonated with [Jackson]. We went back two more times. It was clear Andy really wanted him,” Mike Morrill says. “With Shack there [at Hopkins], we didn’t know if Jackson would play [for those first two years]. He wasn’t too excited about that.”
Some of your guys' memories are atrocious. This has been discussed here probably a dozen times and I find it very hard to believe this is the first you're hearing of it.
my memory is just fine.
As I said in my other response, I said "Yale".

Yes, Shay made clear he wanted Jackson...sounds like Petro was less convincing.
Doesn't mean that Petro paid no attention, just that he wasn't convincing that he badly wanted Jackson and that he'd be on the field day one...as he definitely deserved/was capable to be wherever he went, regardless of another alpha "QB" type. That message didn't get communicated convincingly... apparently.

I agree with Fannolax, mom's appreciation of "Ivy" (as well as Mike's) may have also been a factor...Yale is pretty special, so it's not as if Jackson was recruited away to just some other BigLaxU...

No matter how you cut it, it was a 'miss' for Hop.

Happens.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:49 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:30 pm
Anyway...just sayin'

my memory is just fine.
As I said in my other response, I said "Yale".

Yes, Shay made clear he wanted Jackson...sounds like Petro was less convincing.
Doesn't mean that Petro paid no attention, just that he wasn't convincing that he badly wanted Jackson and that he'd be on the field day one...as he definitely deserved/was capable to be wherever he went, regardless of another alpha "QB" type. That message didn't get communicated convincingly... apparently.

I agree with Fannolax, mom's appreciation of "Ivy" (as well as Mike's) may have also been a factor...Yale is pretty special, so it's not as if Jackson was recruited away to just some other BigLaxU...

No matter how you cut it, it was a 'miss' for Hop.

Happens.
Missed twice … in HS and as a transfer.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

kids choose schools for all sorts of reasons. everybody on here realizes this, obviously. morrill wasn't confident he'd get on the field and that was at least one thing that was important to him. to nick petro for that seems silly.

while i have now posted on it as well, i didn't have petro legacy recruiting on my hopkins thread bingo card this week. doesn't hopkins have a scrimmage this weekend like everyone else?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Anyway...just sayin'
Morrill wasn’t a finisher. He was a feeder himself. Thus the issue.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2023/1/2 ... ceoff.aspx

The opener at Jacksonville on Feb. 4 is the earliest the Blue Jays have ever played a regular season game. At least it'll be warm?

Team GPA was 3.43 in the fall. For Hopkins, that is quite good.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jrn19 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 pm
Anyway...just sayin'
I watched both play in HS and both were excellent shooters as well, though their primary roles on their teams were as creators, feeders.

Put 2 with such high lax IQ on the field, please. Magic can happen.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

David has many attributes and characteristics - doing things half-a$$ed is not one of them. While the family legacy of the Morrills is virtually unparalled for Hopkins lax - there are probably alot of reasons Jackson chose Yale - I don't think it is just Shack vs. him either. Petro got 2 UA and US AA attackmen in that class - Cole WIlliams was the MVP of the UA game and Forry Smith had over 220 points (160+ goals) at Haverford. Marr and Shack were sophomores in 2017 and given early recruiting back then - everybody probably already knew DeSimone/Keogh/Baskin etc were coming next year. I am not trying to suggest at all Morrill would shrink from competition - proven quite the opposite - but you knew from the get go Shack and Marr were never leaving the field and therefore the inn was quite crowded for 1 spot. This is a downside of having close to 60 players and 10 or more in each position room. Of course, if you had perfect foresight - you would have figured out to pass on Shack - get Spencer and then rock and roll with Morrill. As '16 pointed out though - Shack was anything but chopped liver - and it is a crime that Wells and he are not on the all-time Hopkins team.

Edit - the next to last line was a joke. Not trying to suggest Spencer would have chosen Hopkins over Loyola in any circumstances. Don't want anybody getting upset or start 3 pages of nonsense.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:18 am
jrn19 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:08 pm
Anyway...just sayin'
I watched both play in HS and both were excellent shooters as well, though their primary roles on their teams were as creators, feeders.

Put 2 with such high lax IQ on the field, please. Magic can happen.
They wanted to. Morrill didn’t. There ya go.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”