ODAC 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
DeepPocket

Re: ODAC 2023

Post by DeepPocket »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:57 pm
That's not how eligibility works. You have to be working towards a degree and be full-time, with the lone exception being you can be part-time in your final semester so long as you are finishing up your degree.

Don’t mind that, it’s just the double edged sword wielded wildly in these parts. “We’re better because we’re exclusive,” typically followed by “we only lost because we’re exclusive.”

Looking down noses at someone “burning mom and dad’s money” while hailing the graduating salaries of boarding school products. Is it good to have money or not?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:57 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:09 pm
Jumbo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:15 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:58 pm HSC roster is up with 6 freshman, competing with Averett for fewest freshman. I see Will Perry is back for a fifth year who graduated 2016 from North Cross School. What G program does HSC participate in
6 is very low. Last fall, HSC Instagram introduced 13 new freshman. I find it hard to believe a majority of them dropped

And how can HSC have 5th year players? They don’t have a grad program.
He just stays and keeps taking classes, no grad degree. Just burning mom and dads money so he can keep partying and playing lacrosse. Kids been in college for 6 years with no advanced degree.
That's not how eligibility works. You have to be working towards a degree and be full-time, with the lone exception being you can be part-time in your final semester so long as you are finishing up your degree.
Prior to the Covid exception, NCAA athletes were granted four years of eligibility that had to be used in five years. There are some exceptions made for injury or family hardship but as a general rule, four in five. In most D3 schools, that "redshirt" year was reserved for injury. There have likely been cases, pre-Covid, where a student-athlete played his or her four years and stayed an extra semester, summer or year to graduate.

When the NCAA provided the Covid exception, many athletes either added a minor/grad degree or pumped the brakes on course load so they could be eligible for an additional year. Student athletes must maintain 12 credit hours per semester to be eligible to play, the noted exception that if your season is during your final semester, the NCAA will grant a waiver so you can play/graduate. And in the case of the HSC goalie, he most likely used NCAA granted waiver(s) in order to maximize his eligibility and earn his degree.
NCAA.jpg
NCAA.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 3060 times
Crow Hop

Post by Crow Hop »

with Lynchburg "beating" Jacksonville, are they top dog in the ODAC? Top dog in d3? And yes, quotations are needed. Was it starters vs starters? Lynchburg always starts strong in the season but can't finish. I saw plenty of lynchburg backups out there looking like scoopers. Could HSC, or W&L pull off a similar win?
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Maybe top dog in the ODAC. But not D3. Lynchburg got whooped in the fall in both games.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

:!:
Crow Hop wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:38 pm with Lynchburg "beating" Jacksonville, are they top dog in the ODAC? Top dog in d3? And yes, quotations are needed. Was it starters vs starters? Lynchburg always starts strong in the season but can't finish. I saw plenty of lynchburg backups out there looking like scoopers. Could HSC, or W&L pull off a similar win?
Didn’t they “beat” UVA in 2019 (D1 National Champion) and still lose the ODAC?
Crow Hop

Post by Crow Hop »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:48 am :!:
Crow Hop wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:38 pm with Lynchburg "beating" Jacksonville, are they top dog in the ODAC? Top dog in d3? And yes, quotations are needed. Was it starters vs starters? Lynchburg always starts strong in the season but can't finish. I saw plenty of lynchburg backups out there looking like scoopers. Could HSC, or W&L pull off a similar win?
just proving my point.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Lynchburg highlights from both scrimmages.
https://youtu.be/_rndSr43Ui0
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:16 pm Lynchburg highlights from both scrimmages.
https://youtu.be/_rndSr43Ui0
lynchburg looks ready to roll into the season.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Glad to see this forum got their eligibility questions out of the way. Good grief, anyone want to talk about lacrosse?
thesilentfilmer

Post by thesilentfilmer »

Crow Hop wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:43 pm
just proving my point.
I would like to make a few quick corrections. First being the year that Lynchburg “beat” uva (starters for starters) was the 2021 season.

Second is from a player I know on the team still they said they did beat them both with starters and overall. What that says about each team is essentially irrelevant, both teams got good information about where they are currently and the Lynchburg lacrosse alumni network gave those players and awesome experience.

Finally, yes, HSC, W&L, Roanoke, and even RMC can beat Lynchburg if Lynchburg does not show up to play. Im looking forward to seeing what the ODAC does out of conference and hoping that Lynchburg is able to get another ODAC championship and make a deep run at a natty. What will happen, who knows. That’s the beauty of the sport.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

thesilentfilmer wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:58 pm
Crow Hop wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:43 pm
just proving my point.
I would like to make a few quick corrections. First being the year that Lynchburg “beat” uva (starters for starters) was the 2021 season.

Second is from a player I know on the team still they said they did beat them both with starters and overall. What that says about each team is essentially irrelevant, both teams got good information about where they are currently and the Lynchburg lacrosse alumni network gave those players and awesome experience.

Finally, yes, HSC, W&L, Roanoke, and even RMC can beat Lynchburg if Lynchburg does not show up to play. Im looking forward to seeing what the ODAC does out of conference and hoping that Lynchburg is able to get another ODAC championship and make a deep run at a natty. What will happen, who knows. That’s the beauty of the sport.
I’d argue that all of those top four teams can beat each other even if the favorite “does show up”. Lynchburg is 3-7 vs W&L in their last 10 meetings. I’m sure they showed up for at least a few of those games. Looking at those teams closely, I’m not sure a natty is in cards for the ODAC for a while.
D3LAXLOVER

Post by D3LAXLOVER »

Really curious about the hype around Roanoke. Of course, I understand Kammerman, but seemed to have a lot of holes last year. I think they will be good but, how much of a step up will it be? Also, W&L is another team that I wonder about, last year they were a good team backed by one of the best goalies in D3. I think that he masked a lot of issues they may have had. I think ODAC will have a better performance this year- and they need to keep credibility
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Lynchburg is still the top dog until someone can knock them off but the gap may not be as wide this year. Hampden Sydney should be better, they get their goalie back and also some nice players on D, will they be able to score enough? W&L has some solid returners but replacing the goalie is a big question mark. Roanoke has holes as you mentioned, they have a solid attack returning but I think they will struggle in the middle of the field. The Noke defense should be a bit better as they all return as does their goalie.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Anyone going to Catholic @ LYN scrimmage for a run down?
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 10:57 am Anyone going to Catholic @ LYN scrimmage for a run down?
LYN 3-1 after 1
LYN 8-1 at the half
LYN 14-4 after 3 (new goalie and 1st line mids only a few runs)
LYN 19-6 Final Subs playing
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Nice day on Shelly!
That young attack #27 and #24 start?
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:56 pm Nice day on Shelly!
That young attack #27 and #24 start?
Yes, starting attack is 2 freshman and a sophomore.
ConcordetoODAC

Post by ConcordetoODAC »

2023 ODAC MEN'S LACROSSE COACHES POLL

(#) Denotes First Place Votes
1. University of Lynchburg (10) 120 pts.
2. Washington and Lee University (2) 109 pts.
3. Roanoke College 98 pts.
4. Hampden-Sydney College 96 pts.
5. Randolph-Macon College 82 pts.
6. Bridgewater College 67 pts.
7. Shenandoah University 65 pts.
8. Guilford College 46 pts.
8. Virginia Wesleyan University 46 pts.
10. Ferrum College 26 pts.
11. Averett University 20 pts.
12. Randolph College 17 pts.
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

ConcordetoODAC wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:57 pm 2023 ODAC MEN'S LACROSSE COACHES POLL

(#) Denotes First Place Votes
1. University of Lynchburg (10) 120 pts.
2. Washington and Lee University (2) 109 pts.
3. Roanoke College 98 pts.
4. Hampden-Sydney College 96 pts.
5. Randolph-Macon College 82 pts.
6. Bridgewater College 67 pts.
7. Shenandoah University 65 pts.
8. Guilford College 46 pts.
8. Virginia Wesleyan University 46 pts.
10. Ferrum College 26 pts.
11. Averett University 20 pts.
12. Randolph College 17 pts.
The whole article is a pretty good overview of the conference....
https://www.odaconline.com/sports/mlax/ ... seasonpoll
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

Ranks feel fair. I think Noke or HS-C could have taken the third spot but, Noke beat them last year so they take it I guess. But, I still am not buying into W&L. I feel that they were a decent team carried by a great goalie and now he is gone. HS-C if they figure out the face-off can make some noise with a strong OCC (Stevenson scrimmage, Denison, CNU, Catholic, Cabrini), and from what I heard they had a strong fall-- should build off that. I'm really excited for games to get going should be a great year for ODAC.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”