Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NoLeft

Re: Navy 2023

Post by NoLeft »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 6:38 pm
Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 am https://twitter.com/bwagner_capgaz/stat ... qbEETt9Jcg

Xavier Arline will juggle two sports during the spring semester, playing attack for @NavyMLax while also participating fully in @NavyFB activities as the starting quarterback and soon-to-be senior leader.
A) Tweet references article behind paywall. Completely believable though.
B) There was a time I looked forward to his time on the lax field. Time has passed.
C) Speaking of passing, not sure MIDN Arline can pass. Period. 4 of 11 passes completed in a football season. 3 assists in 6 games in lacrosse.
D) Now I approach his playing as “show me”.
E) Both Navy lax and FB need offense. A part time player so far has proven to not be the answer.
I agree and made mention earlier in the thread.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... PO#p422057
What they said.
Agree completely. This is Division I. not high school. Stick with lacrosse where you at least know how to pass the ball.
old salt

Post by old salt »

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

Navy quarterback, attackman Xavier Arline will juggle football and lacrosse during spring semester

By Bill Wagner, Capital Gazette, Jan 23, 2023

Navy football has a new head coach in Brian Newberry and new offensive coordinator in Grant Chesnut. Those two men are revamping the offense, tweaking the triple-option elements and adding short passing concepts.

One would think that under the circumstances Newberry would want starting quarterback Xavier Arline fully focused on football. However, Newberry believes it is important to honor a commitment made during the recruiting process, and as a result Arline will be playing lacrosse this spring.

Arline has been participating in all lacrosse activities since practice began earlier this month and intends to do so until the season concludes in late May. It will be a spring semester spent juggling two sports as Arline is also determined to remain thoroughly engaged with the football program.

A plan to coordinate those dual commitments was formulated during a meeting involving Arline, Newberry and lacrosse coach Joe Amplo.

“I should start by saying thanks to all the coaches, especially Coach Newberry and Coach Amplo, for the way they’ve handled this. I’m so appreciative of how open and accepting they’ve been to letting me pursue my dreams,” Arline told The Capital this week. “It’s going to take a ton of effort and sacrifice, but I have a lot of support behind me and whatever it takes to be successful in both sports I’m willing to do.”

Arline has already gotten a glimpse of the challenge ahead of him as there was a day recently when he had football and lacrosse meetings, a lacrosse weightlifting session and lacrosse practice. Twice during that day he slipped into Halsey Field House to play pitch and catch with whatever skill position players are available.

“After lacrosse practice, I take my pads off and go over to the grass field and throw the football with the receivers and slots just to stay in tune,” said Arline, noting the day in question came before spring semester classes began and his various military duties resumed.

That will be a typical daily schedule for the next five months and will get even more hectic during the four weeks in which Navy football is conducting spring practice for four weeks in March. Arline is committed to attending all position meetings and participating in all 15 spring practices for football.

“Being that I’m an offensive leader of this team, I feel it’s important to be present as much as possible,” Arline said of the football activities.”

“Like I said, it’s going to be tough and time-consuming, but in my mind well worth it. How many people get the opportunity to be a starting quarterback and starting attackman at the same time? It’s not very common and I’m blessed for the opportunity.”

Coaches compromise
There was a period of uncertainty about the dual-sport arrangement after Ken Niumatalolo was fired as football coach. After Newberry was promoted to the post, he was approached by Arline about playing lacrosse.

Arline withdrew a commitment to North Carolina after a scholarship offer to play football and lacrosse was withdrawn. The Shoreham-Wading High product reopened his recruitment and chose the Naval Academy after Niumatalolo and Amplo jointly agreed he could play both sports.

Newberry knew about the agreement and felt bound to honor it.

“Would I love Xavier to be exclusively football? Yes,” Newberry said. “However, I also understand and respect that a promise was made during the recruiting process that he could play lacrosse.”

Newberry was mollified by what he heard during the meeting with Arline and Amplo. He received assurances from both that football would come first whenever there were conflicts between the two sports, to the point Arline might miss a lacrosse game if it falls on the same Saturday as a critical intra-squad scrimmage session or something similar.

“Xavier understands how important it is that he goes through spring camp, attends all the meetings and that his teammates see he is involved with everything. He loves football and is totally committed to this program,” Newberry said.

Arline took over as Navy’s starting quarterback for the final four games after classmate Tai Lavatai suffered a season-ending knee injury against Temple on Oct. 29. Arline directed a spirited second-half comeback versus Notre Dame, led an upset victory over No. 20 Central Florida then acquitted himself well in the Army-Navy game.

Lavatai will not participate in spring practice while rehabilitating from knee surgery. That leaves Arline as the only quarterback on the roster with game experience. He also assumes the role of elder statesman in the quarterback meeting room, mentoring youngsters such as sophomores Teddy Gleaton and Blake Horvath.

“There is definitely a lot more responsibility on my shoulders as far as being an offensive leader. My approach is to make sure I’m being the best version of myself, coming out there with a great attitude and being a leader of the offense as a whole, being a presence out there,” Arline said. “Hopefully, showing the ropes through my actions, to guys like Teddy and Blake to understand what it takes to be the quarterback in this offense.”

Arline acknowledged the inevitability of suffering body fatigue at times during the spring semester and noted it will be important to spend extra time in the training room. A robust rest and recovery plan must also be put in place.

Impact player
Amplo was willing to make some concessions in order to have a major impact player part of the lacrosse program. He agreed with Newberry’s assessment that Arline has the work ethic and time management skills to make the arrangement work.

“We all need Navy football to be good and Xavier is a big part of that program. We want to make sure he gets every opportunity to grow as a football player, provide leadership and be part of that team’s development for next season,” Amplo said.

However, Amplo made sure Arline’s commitment to lacrosse was at the same level as football. He sent a clear message that lacrosse is foremost on the mind whenever the talented attackman is engaged with the stick sport.

“When you’re here, you are 100% a lacrosse player. Nothing else matters. When you’re over there you’re 100% a football player,” Amplo said. “We’ll understand as long as you are fully engaged when you are with our program. Xavier is jumping in elbow deep and wants to be a leader on this team.”

Arline did not play lacrosse as a freshman in spring 2021 as Niumatalolo felt it was imperative he participate fully in spring football camp to learn the triple-option offense and develop in terms of on-field technique.

Lavatai wound up winning the starting job and Arline spent most of his sophomore season as the backup. With Lavatai established as the clear-cut starter, Niumatalolo allowed Arline to play lacrosse last spring.

Niumatalolo allowed Arline to play lacrosse last spring, however, he sustained a hamstring injury during the 2021 Army-Navy game and was not recovered by the time lacrosse practice began. He was not full-go until a month into the season and wound up playing in just six games.

“Last year, Xavier was trying to learn through osmosis as opposed to learning through experience and participation. This year, he’s healthy and totally focused,” Amplo said. “I think the greatest difference is his mindset. This year, he knew exactly what he needed to do physically and mentally to get prepared for the start of the season.”

Arline made his collegiate debut against Lehigh on March 5, marking the first time in almost two years that he tread the lacrosse turf. He started and scored a goal against Colgate, but aggravated another injury after scoring a goal against Johns Hopkins.

“Last season was tough. Lacrosse started in January and I wasn’t where I wanted to be, so I was really at a disadvantage from the get-go. I clawed back then got hurt right before the Hopkins game, which was another setback,” Arline said. “It was humbling and frustrating mentally. I had to persevere and push through even though things weren’t going well.”

Arline was rated the nation’s No. 5 overall recruit in the class of 2020 by Inside Lacrosse. Prospects with that type of billing are expected to become All-Americans at the Division I level. Navy fans finally got a glimpse of the impact Arline could make when he totaled two goals and two assists to spark a 12-11 overtime upset of archrival Army on April 23.

“In the Army game, Xavier was the best player on the field and was almost unguardable,” Amplo said. “Xavier does things athletically on the lacrosse field that are unique and special. He absolutely has all the tools to be one of the best players in the country.”

Arline is excited about the up-tempo philosophy being installed by first-year offensive coordinator Michael Phipps, an Annapolis native who was hired away from Georgetown. Amplo believes the dynamic attacker will thrive in the fast-paced system.

Navy spring football practice will begin in late March and last four weeks. Knowing that Arline will not be available as much, Amplo said it’s imperative for the coaching staff to accelerate his learning curve between now and then.

“If Xavier shows the aptitude that I think he has as a lacrosse player, I would be comfortable with him practicing on a limited basis then showing up on game day toward the end of the season,” Amplo said.

Ultimately, Amplo is proud that he and Newberry have both comprised a bit in order to fulfill the recruiting pledge to Arline.

“It’s two head coaches working together to give an important athlete to this institution an opportunity to be successful,” he said. “I’m extremely confident Xavier is going to be able to handle both sports and encouraged that this will work out for all of us.”

Navy lacrosse opens the season Feb. 4 at home against Mount St. Mary’s.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

“In the Army game, Xavier was the best player on the field and was almost unguardable,” Amplo said. “Xavier does things athletically on the lacrosse field that are unique and special.“
That’s what I saw.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:29 pm

“In the Army game, Xavier was the best player on the field and was almost unguardable,” Amplo said. “Xavier does things athletically on the lacrosse field that are unique and special.“
That’s what I saw.
2 goals 2 assists = almost unguardable. His best college game. Shot 2 of 7 which helped improve his yearly average which was 16%.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Did you see TCU's #57 linebacker & leading tackler. He was a Navy lax recruit & DM as a plebe.
Might he have stayed at Navy were he allowed to pursue both sports ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:39 pm Did you see TCU's #57 linebacker & leading tackler. He was a Navy lax recruit & DM as a plebe.
great question. But I know he also loved football. and after the debacle of post grad service delays to play in the NFL where shattered by top brass, it likely made his decision easier. And SSDM was, and still is, a log jam.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:50 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:39 pm Did you see TCU's #57 linebacker & leading tackler. He was a Navy lax recruit & DM as a plebe.
great question. But I know he also loved football. and after the debacle of post grad service delays to play in the NFL where shattered by top brass, it likely made his decision easier. And SSDM was, and still is, a log jam.
He left the FB team, as a starter, after 9 games into the 12 game 2021 season.
Per the Capital : Nov 27, 2021 at 5:00 am, Navy football’s already depleted defense took another hit last week when starting inside linebacker ...abruptly left the program...departed due to “an internal issue,” according to Navy athletics spokesman
any idea why ?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:04 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:50 pm
He left the FB team, as a starter, after 9 games into the 12 game 2021 season.
Per the Capital : Nov 27, 2021 at 5:00 am, Navy football’s already depleted defense took another hit last week when starting inside linebacker ...abruptly left the program...departed due to “an internal issue,” according to Navy athletics spokesman
any idea why ?
nope. Maybe sick of Ken losing. 😉
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:12 pm

That’s what I saw.
2 goals 2 assists = almost unguardable. His best college game. Shot 2 of 7 which helped improve his yearly average which was 16%.
Mids would not have beaten Army without Arline on the field that day; he got plenty of attention and still made the difference in last season's most important game and best win. Will he ever be the lacrosse player he could have been if he were lacrosse only? No, pretty evidently not. But last year he had to overcome the rust of not playing for a season as well as an injury. Happy he's willing to put the time in to stay involved in Navy lacrosse in a football first world.
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:49 pm

That’s what I saw.
Mids would not have beaten Army without Arline on the field that day; he got plenty of attention and still made the difference in last season's most important game and best win. Will he ever be the lacrosse player he could have been if he were lacrosse only? No, pretty evidently not. But last year he had to overcome the rust of not playing for a season as well as an injury. Happy he's willing to put the time in to stay involved in Navy lacrosse in a football first world.
...willing to put in the time & take the punishment. I hope his body holds up, the 2 soph QB's develop quickly & Tai Lavati recovers fully & fits the short passing offense. It's a long season.

If Arline was at an Ivy school, would he be permitted to play both sports ?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Yes. Encouraged no.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:07 pm

That’s what I saw.
...willing to put in the time & take the punishment. I hope his body holds up, the 2 soph QB's develop quickly & Tai Lavati recovers fully & fits the short passing offense. It's a long season.

Yes, although gone are the days when 2-sport athletes were almost common in the Ivies (the great Jon Reese was also an excellent Yale football linebacker), you'll still see them now and again (although even in the Ivies there are such demands on the football QBs that there might be pushback on that one). The most notable recent Ivy League example I can think of (I'm sure there are more) is from Yale's 2018 national championship run: one of their 2 great ssdms, Jason Alessi, was a very good punt returner who played 4 years of Yale football. In 2019, when Yale reached the national championship game but lost to UVA, they had a starting LSM who played Yale soccer his senior fall. Can't think of any current "two-fers" for Yale, though, and I don't know the other Ivy rosters well enough to know if any boast any two-sport athletes this year.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Eamon McEneaney played football and lacrosse as well,
though “only” two years football,

As a split end in football, McEneaney lettered as a sophomore and senior, was named to the second All-Ivy team in '76, and led the team in receiving and was second in scoring as a senior. During his two varsity seasons of play, he caught 54 passes for 713 yards and scored seven TDs.

https://cornellbigred.com/honors/hall-o ... neaney/284
Chris Flynn at UPenn, for those who remember him, was a top
two sport athlete,

https://pennathletics.com/sports/2016/7 ... 99361.aspx
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

That’s what I saw.

could play at montana:

https://twitter.com/VarsityLacrosse/sta ... a3JhA&s=19
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

That’s what I saw.

Chas Gessner was an all American in both football and lacrosse at Brown. He won a ring with the Patriots in 2003 as a practice squad player.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chas_Gessner
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Sweet!

Crow Hop

Post by Crow Hop »

AreaLax wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:37 pm Sweet!

lets just hope they practice on not scoring on themselves... any drills for that? just have to be brilliant in the basics
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Beautiful facility that will lead Navy back to a National Championship, as per resident genius Chet Gladchuk :roll:
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:58 pm Beautiful facility that will lead Navy back to a National Championship, as per resident genius Chet Gladchuk :roll:
Any guesses who made the donation for this? Very impressive.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”