North Carolina 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: North Carolina 2023

Post by molo »

Hope he recovers fully and goes on to have a positive experience in the classroom and on the field at an elite university.
getitdone

Post by getitdone »

That's a shame. Figured he would be a shoo-in to start at attack. Not sure why there are so many injured guys this fall. Goldsmith, Matan, Demarco, J Schwarz, Wright, and Barton all missed the scrimmage against Harvard. Seems weird.

Goldsmith - high ankle sprain Has not practiced (not certain how much help he will be except for possibly EMO)
Matan- Broken collarbone Same injury as in high school Shown really good flashes
Demarco, Schwarz- both concussions suffered in practice held out to be safe
Wright IDK
Barton hamstring they know what he can do and played it safe

Upside Starting attack did a really nice job Tillman ran point maybe 2-4 Egan finished really well and played faster 6g McGovern maybe 3-3 and showed he can handle at X also as well as play off ball Duebner,Levy and the other freshman (I forget his name) also played well
The middies also had positive plays and sometimes more importantly did not make costly mistakes

I did not see how N Petro played Any reports on his contribution?
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

IL kicks off a series profiling top freshman with James Matan at #10: https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... -out/60377. While losing Dom Pietramala to injury for the season is a big blow, Matan has the potential to make a significant impact for an offense with holes to fill.
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Strange to be playing ND back to back
Sportin' Life

Post by Sportin' Life »

USA Lax Mag breaks down the Heels, who it has ranked 17th in its pre-season poll: https://usalaxmagazine.com/college/men/ ... rolina-men. Lots of ink dedicated to the transfers. 17 may be high given how many holes UNC needs to fill and newcomers it needs to incorporate but we shall see. The early season storyline will clearly be "What combo of players will step up to fill Gray's shoes and can the defense hold things together until that happens?"
Finish Strong
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Anyone know if/when there will be any preseason scrimmages played? Saw something about a scrimmage vs Jacksonville but neither school has anything posted about it.
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Saw some new info posted this morning on twitter about scrimmages in Chapel Hill on January 28. Looks like:
Jax vs UNC at 10am
Jax vs VMI at 12pm
VMI vs UNC at 2pm
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Too bad they couldn’t switch up those times, having the
UNC-Jax game at noon.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Are the scrimmages streamed or visible in some form?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

No
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

Anyone know where the scrimmages will be played @ UNC?
Reddogg

Post by Reddogg »

Games are at 100 mason Farm Rd
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Any scrimmage update for those not in attendance?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Bearfan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:08 pm Any scrimmage update for those not in attendance?
Heard Jax beat UNC 13-9
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is goldsmith going to be a major player? Good at Mercer but wondering how he fits in there.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:12 pm
Bearfan wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:08 pm Any scrimmage update for those not in attendance?
Heard Jax beat UNC 13-9
Yes and without Max Waldbaum. That score seems about right but no score was kept on scoreboard. Hate to draw any tendencies must less conclusions as each team played it close to the chest scheme-wise but if I had to pick one issue that stood out to me is JU's offense is legit and season ready. Crisp passing, few unforced errors and multiple players deserving of an early slide opening up other opportunities. My one observation on UNC was their size on defense and midfield.

JU and UNC both beat VMI, unsurprisingly but VMI, for VMI, stood out for two reasons (1) Very competitive on FO's won and (2) an improved offense. All three teams played the games as you would expect with starters playing the majority of the time and then selected substitutions. UNC had over 60 people dressed so I am sure they moved players in and out more than I noticed.
JustPassingThrough

Post by JustPassingThrough »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:11 pm Too bad they couldn’t switch up those times, having the
UNC-Jax game at noon.
Looks like "the usual" pattern of home team plays games 1 and 3 (has its locker room for during the break), the closer visitor plays games 2 and 3 (can day trip to the game) and the farther away visitor plays games 1 and 2 (they were in hotel the previous night, and this lets them get on the road sooner).
10 10 2

Post by 10 10 2 »

Was at the scrimmages. Beautiful day for lacrosse as it was sunny and 55-60 degrees with a slight breeze in Chapel Hill. Starters played against Jacksonville. Backups only against VMI. Starters looked to be:
Attack: D. Egan, Tillman, McGovern. Matan was first off the bench.
Defense: Geppert, Barton, E. Egan. Max Cooney was first off the bench.
Don't think there was a set 1st midfield line as I saw different combinations of guys throughout the scrimmage. I'd say the top 6 on offense were Henry Schertzinger, Wellford, J. Schwarz, Demarco, Gallagher, Zinsner. Also saw a lot of Ty English on face-off wings and looked to be used as a 2-way midfielder. Other guys who played quite a bit and showed good flashes were Luca Antongiovanni and Quintin O'Connell.
SSDM: Maher, Breschi, Hagerup
LSM: Roselle, T. Schwarz
Goalie: Krieg

DNP: Matt Wright, Sean Goldsmith, Matt Wrede
This was disappointing because two of the guys I most wanted to see in action were Goldsmith and Wrede. Don't know anything about why any of them didn't play.

Jacksonville scrimmage notes:
I wasn't keeping track of the score but 13-9 sounds about right.

Settled offense was a mess. Score was about even with Jacksonville until the 2nd half when unforced turnovers from sloppy passing and not backing up shots led to scoring droughts and Jacksonville pulled ahead. Reminded me of 2022. UNC will struggle again this year if this does not improve.

The offense lacks a quarterback or really any sort of leader or calming presence. Lots of unassisted goals off of isolation dodges.

Andrew Tyeryar is the clear #1 face-off guy and looked OK. Wasn't keeping track but I thought he won around 45-50%. George Kalos is his backup and took a few draws as well. He is good at getting the clamp but is still adjusting to the speed of the game. I could see him getting more playing time as the season progresses.

Felt like Carolina committed a lot more penalties than Jacksonville. Most were by the close defense. Krieg didn't have his best day in goal. Granted, the offense wasn't doing them a lot of favors. Felt like Jacksonville had the ball more.

We'll see a lot of Ty English this year. He was good in between the lines and on clears, and had a nice transition goal. Reminds me of Tate Jozokos.

Pretty much all the transfers were either starters or getting significant playing time, but the one I was most impressed by was JT Roselle. Since Matt Wright did not play he was the top LSM. Great stick skills. He intercepted passes, threw a couple slick behind the back passes, and scored a goal in transition.

I'm not really familiar with any specific Jacksonville players but overall I thought they looked good especially for January. They capitalized on Carolina's silly turnovers and penalties and noticeably had fewer of their own mistakes. It was probably what made the biggest difference in this win for them. Johns Hopkins will have their hands full against the Dolphins next week. Coach Galloway will have them ready to play.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Gameday: time to elevate UNC from page 3 to page 1…..looking forward to the first game and the start of the season!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”