2023 Preseason Inside Lacrosse Media Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
chosen1lax

Re: 2023 Preseason Inside Lacrosse Media Poll

Post by chosen1lax »

I'm shocked Harvard is still receiving so much love after they were embarrassed by Rutgers after they snuck into the tournament. I still see them as the 5th best Ivy this year, but do not foresee them stealing a bid in 2023
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:06 pm I'm shocked Harvard is still receiving so much love after they were embarrassed by Rutgers after they snuck into the tournament. I still see them as the 5th best Ivy this year, but do not foresee them stealing a bid in 2023
maybe because they beat brown, boston and princeton last year and anyone would be hard pressed to find 13 teams who did better?

even the nc$$ committee could only find 3 or 4 (notwithstanding umd and gtown). and they were all in the ivy league.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Perhaps the reason they were all in on the Ivy League is because they had the best OOC record combined of any of the conferences and all of the metrics supported them getting many teams in the tournament. Just as it did the ACC getting many teams in the tournament. Or it could be they just decided they liked nerds all of a sudden
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:06 pm I'm shocked Harvard is still receiving so much love after they were embarrassed by Rutgers after they snuck into the tournament. I still see them as the 5th best Ivy this year, but do not foresee them stealing a bid in 2023
They were really young last year. Outside of Madronic it was a sea of freshmen. Not too surprising they got jumped on in their first NCAA tournament game against a team full of 23-year-old men with playoff experience from the prior year. I think a lot of the buzz around Harvard is that A) they were "ahead of schedule" last season — they weren't even supposed to be a playoff team and B) belief in Gerry Byrne as a talent developer. Combine those two things and it's reasonable to see them as a top 12-15 team despite the playoff loss.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 pm Perhaps the reason they were all in on the Ivy League is because they had the best OOC record combined of any of the conferences and all of the metrics supported them getting many teams in the tournament. Just as it did the ACC getting many teams in the tournament. Or it could be they just decided they liked nerds all of a sudden
seriously. i'd like to see the 13 teams who should be higher ranked. maybe because of all the top recruits brought in? the "other" poll had denver at 13 or something. and they've lost yuge chunks of their offense at least.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

Harvard to the Ivy League is like Michigan to the B10.
They beat up on inferior OOC opponents and benefit from being in a strong conference. Last year Harvard benefitted from sneaking out some Ivy wins, Michigan did not win a single B10 game.
I am happy to see them schedule UVA, but outside of that, OOC is something to be desired
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:55 pm Perhaps the reason they were all in on the Ivy League is because they had the best OOC record combined of any of the conferences and all of the metrics supported them getting many teams in the tournament. Just as it did the ACC getting many teams in the tournament. Or it could be they just decided they liked nerds all of a sudden
seriously. i'd like to see the 13 teams who should be higher ranked. maybe because of all the top recruits brought in? the "other" poll had denver at 13 or something. and they've lost yuge chunks of their offense at least.
Them being ranked 13 is more than fine. In fact probably exactly where I’d have them.

Denver being 13 was ridiculous. Not sure I’d have them in the Top 20. If they were a Top 20 team last year it was borderline and this year they have basically nowhere on the roster outside of goalie that you look at and say is a definitive strength enough to be NCAA Tournament caliber, which is what you need to be ranked 13th. 13th isn’t definite tournament team to me but if I see you there I assume people think you have parts of your team that are of that quality. Don’t really see that with Denver.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm Harvard to the Ivy League is like Michigan to the B10.
They beat up on inferior OOC opponents and benefit from being in a strong conference. Last year Harvard benefitted from sneaking out some Ivy wins, Michigan did not win a single B10 game.
I am happy to see them schedule UVA, but outside of that, OOC is something to be desired
Michigan didn’t win a single B10 game yes. Harvard beat PRINCETON, who literally went to the Final Four. Not sure how they are remotely similar
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:26 pm Harvard to the Ivy League is like Michigan to the B10.
why is everything *sneaking*? they beat boston who handled the patriot. they beat a top 5 ivy and a top 10 ivy. name 8 teams who did better at beating top teams.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:35 pm
why is everything *sneaking*? they beat boston who handled the patriot. they beat a top 5 ivy and a top 10 ivy. name 8 teams who did better at beating top teams.
Harvard will need to build on last year, not have it be an anomaly. They benefitted from Ivy as a whole being strong, cant rely on that. I think teams that are currently ranked behind them like St Joes, Denver, Jacksonville, Richmond and UNC will all finish the season in better shape than Harvard. I will eat crow if the Crim prove me wrong
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:28 pm
Harvard will need to build on last year, not have it be an anomaly. They benefitted from Ivy as a whole being strong, cant rely on that. I think teams that are currently ranked behind them like St Joes, Denver, Jacksonville, Richmond and UNC will all finish the season in better shape than Harvard. I will eat crow if the Crim prove me wrong
every team in a strong conference benefits from being in a strong conference. that is not unique to harvard.

so i guess it's settled that they didn't sneak anywhere last year and didn't steal any bids. as far as prognostications, that's all fair game. you don't look to be any better at it than the rest of us, but you have company.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Lotta nonsense written above. Michigan is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Not Duke or ND, the favorites of the persistent whiners.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:04 pm
Not Duke or ND, the favorites of the persistent whiners.
not to worry. it's a new year and it'll be someone else.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

Gobigred wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:03 pm
Lotta nonsense written above. Michigan is utterly irrelevant to this discussion.
It's called drawing a comparison to perennial bottom feeders of strong leagues. Thats what they have in common.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:34 pm
It's called drawing a comparison to perennial bottom feeders of strong leagues. Thats what they have in common.
but you misspelled dartmouth.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:53 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm Not sure how a team that lost 63% of its goals should be #2. Right now, I think the Terps are overrated. Means nothing, but they gotta be the least proven offense in the top 10
Because they've missed two final fours since 2011. They've lose players before. They're Alabama football. Top 5 until they aren't.
this ^^^ is why UMD should be pre-season #1 along with the multitude of comments about their defense and strength up the middle.

The terps have been the most consistent team of the past decade (taking the reigns from Danowski's Duke teams that dominated prior to that).

"The race isn't always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet"
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:34 pm
8 wins and 16 loses in conference since 2017 put the crimson and big green together in the basement IMO
Cheeseandcrackers

Post by Cheeseandcrackers »

TheBigIguana wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:53 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm Not sure how a team that lost 63% of its goals should be #2. Right now, I think the Terps are overrated. Means nothing, but they gotta be the least proven offense in the top 10
Because they've missed two final fours since 2011. They've lose players before. They're Alabama football. Top 5 until they aren't.
Don't you mean Georgia football?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

chosen1lax wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:50 pm
wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:34 pm
8 wins and 16 loses in conference since 2017 put the crimson and big green together in the basement IMO
so you get your own definition of basement? both from when they started in 2015 and in your cutoff scenario, michigan's conference win% and final league position is comp to dartmouth not harvard and it's not close.

i.e. win % .117 to .027 vs .361. none of which has anything to do with last year and a new coach. in 2 b1g games last year, they managed to go .500. why? because they literally went up to ann arbor and beat... michigan! by 5 goals. couldn't make this stuff up! looks like they might've won the patriot also!

had you not come on to roast harvard for their best season in recent memory because... they're preseason ranked #13 of all things... getting all kinds of love!!! maybe we wouldn't point these things out. or maybe that was the objective?

how did 'nova do in the ivy last year?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”