Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDralphie

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by MDralphie »

Keep the info coming Area. Season tickets arrived today. Not all have game times yet
Pork42

Post by Pork42 »

Venue kind of sucked. Fans had to stand among the bushes looked through a fence. Southern hospitality was lacking in that department. 1st half was even and what you expect out of pre season. Reserves for Maryland looked better.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per Terry Foy twitter

Speaking to someone who was at today’s @DukeMLAX vs @TerpsMLax scrimmage, @DizzyDante "will be special sooner rather than later."

Was playing SSDM for the Terps today.

I knew he was on the roster, but part of me was holding my breath on whether he'd suit up until this moment.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Super excited to see him play. The one thing I was struck by seeing him play in HS was that his defensive instincts and effort was really good already. The athleticism and skills were there and if he is able to play multiple years he’ll be an offensive contributor but for what he’s going to do this year, he showed an ability to contribute on that side already.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Posted this on a MD site, too, but here's what I heard from someone close to the program who was at the scrimmage.

The Terps won 12-7. The Terps are really deep but still looking for an identity. With so much depth, team will get better and better as the season progresses.

Long and Maltz didn't play, and some others who might see more prominent roles didn't play today either.

Erska played the 3rd attack spot. Siracusa, Erska, and Tucker played well.

The defense is legit. Shorty group of Redd (usually a LSM), Lacey, Trader, and Wicks stood out.

Duke's depth is going to be an issue for them. On offense, it's O'Neill or bust.

Like you'd expect, the scrimmage was turnover filled for both teams.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Erksa showed some flashes in the Team USA scrimmage from what I remember. Good shake. Would be interesting to see what he could bring to the attack.

Can’t wait to watch the defense this year. We’ve obviously seen some amazing defenses over the years but I’m not sure we’ve ever seen one as talented, athletic, and deep as this one will be.

Thanks Wheels!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Interesting about Redd. Has he ever played short-stick for the Terps, or in high school?

Sounds like Wicks is locked in as one of the SSDMs, along with Lacey and presumably Coffman.

Trader had talked about just wanting to contribute however he could, as opposed to being a regular player. Perhaps he’s ahead of schedule as a RS freshman?

Wheels, did your friend mention who the played close D, and if any of the usual back-ups or freshmen stood out?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm Interesting about Redd. Has he ever played short-stick for the Terps, or in high school?

Sounds like Wicks is locked in as one of the SSDMs, along with Lacey and presumably Coffman.

Trader had talked about just wanting to contribute however he could, as opposed to being a regular player. Perhaps he’s ahead of schedule as a RS freshman?

Wheels, did your friend mention who the played close D, and if any of the usual back-ups or freshmen stood out?
Tills and Trader have both said he'd play shorty. I don't think Coffman played, and I'm not aware of Redd playing with a short stick before; but he's a really good athlete. So it's not surprising to see him getting time there. I don't know if that's a long term thing or not.

Makar, Zap, and Colin Burlace at close. Larkin will get some looks. Tills has said Schaller has impressed at LSM (although McDonald might be the #2 LSM behind Geppert). George Stamos, a HS midfielder from West Potomac in NoVa, has moved to close defense and got some run. He's a really good athlete (All-State HS football player). Thought he'd play shorty but has apparently picked up a pole from what I heard. Reminiscent of Geppert, who came to Maryland as a middie.

If Coffman, Lacey, Trader, Wicks/Redd play well, that defense is going to be so good. The offense is going to take time to gel, so the D might have to carry them early. Might be lots of close games, so thankfully Luke Wierman wears red, white, black, and gold!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:39 pm George Stamos, a HS midfielder from West Potomac in NoVa, has moved to close defense and got some run. He's a really good athlete (All-State HS football player). Thought he'd play shorty but has apparently picked up a pole from what I heard. Reminiscent of Geppert, who came to Maryland as a middie.
Stamos has always played with a pole. He was a defenseman in high school
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:17 pm
Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:39 pm George Stamos, a HS midfielder from West Potomac in NoVa, has moved to close defense and got some run. He's a really good athlete (All-State HS football player). Thought he'd play shorty but has apparently picked up a pole from what I heard. Reminiscent of Geppert, who came to Maryland as a middie.
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacross ... amos/10815

• Graduated from West Potomac High School in Alexandria, Virginia.
• Named USA Lacrosse All-American.
• Named First-Team All-Met by the Washington Post as a senior in 2022.
• Helped the Wolverines to their first Virginia regional championship as a senior.
• Led the team in goals (30), assists (31), caused turnovers (69) and groundballs (163).
• In football, named to 2021 Class 6 All-State First Team as an All-Purpose player on offense.
• Played club lacrosse for DC Express.

So he scored 61 points as a long pole? Or have they gotten his bio wrong on their website?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

He 1000% played pole in HS, but some of his HS highlights do have him taking some shifts on offense scoring goals. I don’t know about the stats but they very well may have used him on offense
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:59 pm

• Helped the Wolverines to their first Virginia regional championship as a senior.
• Led the team in goals (30), assists (31), caused turnovers (69) and groundballs (163).
• In football, named to 2021 Class 6 All-State First Team as an All-Purpose player on offense.

So he scored 61 points as a long pole? Or have they gotten his bio wrong on their website?
Yep.. West Potomac is not a very good program and when you have a player who can do anything on the field, you use that to your advantage.

Stamos is a very good player who could definitely make an impact sometime in his terp career.

Here is a highlight for reference: https://www.hudl.com/v/2HUwsp

Serious question: What would be harder.. scoring 61 points as a pole or 163 GB’s and 70 CT as a shortie?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Laxguy703 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:16 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:59 pm

Yep.. West Potomac is not a very good program and when you have a player who can do anything on the field, you use that to your advantage.

Stamos is a very good player who could definitely make an impact sometime in his terp career.

Here is a highlight for reference: https://www.hudl.com/v/2HUwsp

Serious question: What would be harder.. scoring 61 points as a pole or 163 GB’s and 70 CT as a shortie?
If you're a FOGO, 163 GBs could happen...but the 70 CTs?!!!

Leading your team in goals and assists with a pole is something I can't recall ever seeing. I'm having a hard time even wrapping my head around it!
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

Wheels wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:48 pm Posted this on a MD site, too, but here's what I heard from someone close to the program who was at the scrimmage.

The Terps won 12-7. The Terps are really deep but still looking for an identity. With so much depth, team will get better and better as the season progresses.

Long and Maltz didn't play, and some others who might see more prominent roles didn't play today either.

The defense is legit. Shorty group of Redd (usually a LSM), Lacey, Trader, and Wicks stood out.

Duke's depth is going to be an issue for them. On offense, it's O'Neill or bust.

Wow starting the true freshman at attack. Must be pretty damn good or depth is lacking. Surprised Kelly wasn’t a starter
Terpslax1991

Post by Terpslax1991 »

masondixonlax wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:18 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:48 pm Posted this on a MD site, too, but here's what I heard from someone close to the program who was at the scrimmage.

Wow starting the true freshman at attack. Must be pretty damn good or depth is lacking. Surprised Kelly wasn’t a starter
I think the A was Murphy, Kelly and Erska.

I think Wheels mentioned a few guys didn’t play (Long, Coffman, Maltz). Maybe they ran Spanos out of the box w Long out.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Maryland’s IG is showing videos of a day of lacrosse player
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

According to IL the scrimmage this weekend is closed to the public
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:39 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:33 pm Interesting about Redd. Has he ever played short-stick for the Terps, or in high school?

Tills and Trader have both said he'd play shorty. I don't think Coffman played, and I'm not aware of Redd playing with a short stick before; but he's a really good athlete. So it's not surprising to see him getting time there. I don't know if that's a long term thing or not.

Makar, Zap, and Colin Burlace at close. Larkin will get some looks. Tills has said Schaller has impressed at LSM (although McDonald might be the #2 LSM behind Geppert). George Stamos, a HS midfielder from West Potomac in NoVa, has moved to close defense and got some run. He's a really good athlete (All-State HS football player). Thought he'd play shorty but has apparently picked up a pole from what I heard. Reminiscent of Geppert, who came to Maryland as a middie.

If Coffman, Lacey, Trader, Wicks/Redd play well, that defense is going to be so good. The offense is going to take time to gel, so the D might have to carry them early. Might be lots of close games, so thankfully Luke Wierman wears red, white, black, and gold!
Thanks. Looks like the shorties have a shot at being pretty solid. It will be interesting to see if Trader is given the rope to run transition and shoot, a la Puglise - he appears to have the skills to do it.

And as a side note, a team can never have enough Stamos, nevermind a high-scoring pole.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m posting from ALs post on the Terps Forum,

Arealax
Posted on 45 mins
12-9. Md final

Looks like they are playing 5qtr. But I have leave.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

1st qtr was 1-1 until the end and GT got 2 quick goals making it 3-1 GT.
Half. 6-5 GT, Koras had a hat trick
8-7 md end 3rd.
12-9. Md end of the 4th. I know MD was playing bench players at this point.
There was a 5th qtr. i couldn’t stay for that one.

No one was wearing their numbers and their short numbers were hard to read
Starter seem to be
McNaney, Markar, Zappo, C. Burlace? Dolan played the 2nd half. He good
SSDM- Trader was getting lots of runs and is not afraid to shoot in transition. Lacey with lots of time along with Coffman. Several players for the 4th spot.
Luke was winning at faceoff

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”