Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
old salt

Re: Navy 2023

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:04 pm Amplo said that the "key ingredient" on the attack might be junior Jonathan Jarosz. Amplo said that perhaps the most important thing Coach Phipps said to him during the fall was that the coaches were focusing too much on what Jarosz was doing wrong and not enough what he's doing right. Yes Jarosz might drop the ball or throw it away over the sideline sometimes but he can score, he's a match-up nightmare, he's a monster: "If we can't figure out how to get a 6'5" guy who scores on the field we're not coaching right." Said Jarosz reminded him of Ian Dingman.
That's good to hear. Seems like every time #6 pulled a clunker, I'd ask, " why is he on the field ? " ...then he'd score a big goal. :D
old salt

Post by old salt »

Navy sports beat writer Bill Wagner makes predictions of local sports highlights for the coming year, ...through a slightly rose-tinted lens.

I hope he's right on this one.

https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/a ... story.html

After securing his status as the starting quarterback during Navy football spring camp, Xavier Arline rejoins the lacrosse team just in time to play against archrival Army. The lightning-quick attackman torches his defender from behind the cage in scoring a goal and dishing off three assists to lead the Midshipmen to their third straight victory over the Black Knights.

{knock on wood}
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

I cancelled my subscription so I can not read it, but assume it is just a follow up from the QK interview that Orfling linked?

My guess...Navy Football, having a new Head FB coach (Newberry) and OC (Chesnut), are willing to roll the dice with XA. Why? Because I believe they are looking past XA. Why? Because I believe their vision is to get to a pass first QB, that can manage an RPO offense, with Veer and TO tendencies in year 1 and 2. Had Ken found a QB that could do this the past two years...he'd likely still be here. Navy completely wastes so much talent in the WR and TE position. If you can't pass, you can't open up your run game, and when you can't effectively run and pass....you are the current Navy.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

A bit off-topic, but in Matt Kinnear's top five wishes for 2023, while it wasn't one of them, he did bring up that, if they move the Final Four away from Memorial Day Weekend, Navy Stadium could be the permanent site for it. I hope others of you are up for that, too.
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:52 am I cancelled my subscription so I can not read it, but assume it is just a follow up from the QK interview that Orfling linked?

My guess...Navy Football, having a new Head FB coach (Newberry) and OC (Chesnut), are willing to roll the dice with XA. Why? Because I believe they are looking past XA. Why? Because I believe their vision is to get to a pass first QB, that can manage an RPO offense, with Veer and TO tendencies in year 1 and 2. Had Ken found a QB that could do this the past two years...he'd likely still be here. Navy completely wastes so much talent in the WR and TE position. If you can't pass, you can't open up your run game, and when you can't effectively run and pass....you are the current Navy.
Tai Lavatai is the better passer. That's why he started ahead of X the past two seasons. Ivin Jasper is still the QB coach. If Lavatai can come back from his knee injury, I think he's the better fit for what they're looking for. Who know's how the 2 rising sophs will show in spring ball.
I'm glad that X is coming out for lax this spring & keeping his options open. X only started 9 games at QB the past 3 seasons. Each year, IJ & KN started a better passer ahead of him, even though none of them were the running threat that X is, nor could they execute the TO as well as X did. Unless this staff commits to X that he's the presumptive starter, imo, he should concentrate on lax. He's too much of a lax talent to be wasted as a backup QB, unless/until injuries to the other QB's necessitate his return to FB. He could still have 2 full, productive lax seasons if he commits full time to learning the game at the college level (hint, hint).
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

old salt wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 3:22 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 9:52 am I cancelled my subscription so I can not read it, but assume it is just a follow up from the QK interview that Orfling linked?

Tai Lavatai is the better passer. That's why he started ahead of X the past two seasons. Ivin Jasper is still the QB coach. If Lavatai can come back from his knee injury, I think he's the better fit for what they're looking for. Who know's how the 2 rising sophs will show in spring ball.
I'm glad that X is coming out for lax this spring & keeping his options open. X only started 9 games at QB the past 3 seasons. Each year, IJ & KN started a better passer ahead of him, even though none of them were the running threat that X is, nor could they execute the TO as well as X did. Unless this staff commits to X that he's the presumptive starter, imo, he should concentrate on lax. He's too much of a lax talent to be wasted as a backup QB, unless/until injuries to the other QB's necessitate his return to FB. He could still have 2 full, productive lax seasons if he commits full time to learning the game at the college level (hint, hint).
Agree with both of your analysis, youth and old salt.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

old salt wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:28 pm
The Orfling wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 3:04 pm Amplo said that the "key ingredient" on the attack might be junior Jonathan Jarosz. Amplo said that perhaps the most important thing Coach Phipps said to him during the fall was that the coaches were focusing too much on what Jarosz was doing wrong and not enough what he's doing right. Yes Jarosz might drop the ball or throw it away over the sideline sometimes but he can score, he's a match-up nightmare, he's a monster: "If we can't figure out how to get a 6'5" guy who scores on the field we're not coaching right." Said Jarosz reminded him of Ian Dingman.
That's good to hear. Seems like every time #6 pulled a clunker, I'd ask, " why is he on the field ? " ...then he'd score a big goal. :D
I love this coaching mindset. I know the alums from the timeframe where Phipps was here previously would double down on the comments Coach Amplo made. I thought the podcast interview was really good.

Face offs seem to be a pretty big question mark going into the year in my opinion.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Great interview....But the Mikey Powell comparison.....Really !

MP was a 4X First Team AA, 2 Rings and put up over 300 points at Cuse.

X was average at best last year. I understand what Coach was trying to say. Typical LI guy comment.

Don't get me started on the comments about practicing 1 or 2 days a week and then playing on Saturdays this year. X was lucky to participate in two practices a week last year, but still found his way into the starting lineup. X is a great athlete, when he has the ball in his stick, period . Exciting at times but very average with his Lacrosse IQ, passing/catching, riding and being a true team player.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! Mount St. Mary's once again to start things. I hope Navy, after what happened last year, doesn't look a second ahead and is as hungry for them as they have been for any non-conference opponent in awhile.
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... 9-navy-men

USA lax magazine write-up. Some of it sounds like the QK interview.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

PALax11 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:49 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... 9-navy-men

USA lax magazine write-up. Some of it sounds like the QK interview.
Thanks for posting the link, PALax11. Definitely some similar themes to the podcast. In "new news," I thought the comments on plebe goalie Dan Daly were interesting -- maybe a little bit hard to imagining him displacing a proven senior performer in Pat Ryan or even platooning, as Amplo mentioned, but at a minimum it sounds like Navy may have a great solution at goalie through 2026.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Anyone know where the Scrimmage in Springfield. Va will be located on 28Jan. Indoor at StJames?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:54 pm Anyone know where the Scrimmage in Springfield. Va will be located on 28Jan. Indoor at StJames?
yes. ricky will shake your hand and sign autographs if requested.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:28 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 12:54 pm Anyone know where the Scrimmage in Springfield. Va will be located on 28Jan. Indoor at StJames?
Thanks. We've talked plenty...no need for that mess. If you go, lemma know....
~Livy
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:37 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:28 pm
Thanks. We've talked plenty...no need for that mess. If you go, lemma know....
i would but will be headed out of town for another scrimmage... outside! hope for an indian summer-like day. report back! next time.
Abr2016

Post by Abr2016 »

Has anyone heard the rumor of a new lacrosse only building being constructed on the yard? I heard one may be coming.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://twitter.com/bwagner_capgaz/stat ... qbEETt9Jcg

Xavier Arline will juggle two sports during the spring semester, playing attack for @NavyMLax while also participating fully in @NavyFB activities as the starting quarterback and soon-to-be senior leader.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

AreaLax wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 am https://twitter.com/bwagner_capgaz/stat ... qbEETt9Jcg

Xavier Arline will juggle two sports during the spring semester, playing attack for @NavyMLax while also participating fully in @NavyFB activities as the starting quarterback and soon-to-be senior leader.
A) Tweet references article behind paywall. Completely believable though.
B) There was a time I looked forward to his time on the lax field. Time has passed.
C) Speaking of passing, not sure MIDN Arline can pass. Period. 4 of 11 passes completed in a football season. 3 assists in 6 games in lacrosse.
D) Now I approach his playing as “show me”.
E) Both Navy lax and FB need offense. A part time player so far has proven to not be the answer.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Kid undeniably could have been a tremendous lacrosse player. Seen the explosiveness and flashes on the field. But, like, no clue how this works. And it’s been evident that the part time nature of things has not allowed him to ever fully be effective on the lacrosse field. If he can be the QB1, he should commit to that.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Dip&Dunk wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:46 pm
AreaLax wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:50 am https://twitter.com/bwagner_capgaz/stat ... qbEETt9Jcg

A) Tweet references article behind paywall. Completely believable though.
B) There was a time I looked forward to his time on the lax field. Time has passed.
C) Speaking of passing, not sure MIDN Arline can pass. Period. 4 of 11 passes completed in a football season. 3 assists in 6 games in lacrosse.
D) Now I approach his playing as “show me”.
E) Both Navy lax and FB need offense. A part time player so far has proven to not be the answer.
I agree and made mention earlier in the thread.

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... PO#p422057
~Livy

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”