ISL Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
Laxxal22

Re: ISL Lacrosse

Post by Laxxal22 »

RL's team this season is one of the reason's why the ISL not having playoffs stinks. Defensively they're locked and loaded, but that offense needs time to jell. They'll be a very different team after 15 games than they were at the end of March. However with two ISL losses already they're at best playing spoiler, regardless of how well they're playing at the end of the year. ISL really doesn't reward teams for improving throughout the year.

They could however have a tremendous opportunity to spoil though, as they play Seb's on the final day of league play. That has potential to be a great game.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Bostonlax Private School top 10 looks pretty good, but I'd flip Seb's and Belmont Hill after BH had a dominant win over Govs. Looks like Brett Bliss (Brown hockey commit) was back for that game after missing a couple of games. The athleticism of BH's first midfield with him in the line up gives them another gear that I don't think even the Arrows can match. We'll find out in eight days.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

From watching a few ISL games this year the best defense I've seen is actually with Kimball Union Academy. Goalie is tremendous and their team defense is excellent.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Laxcoach55 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:16 pm From watching a few ISL games this year the best defense I've seen is actually with Kimball Union Academy. Goalie is tremendous and their team defense is excellent.
Good for KUA. Nice turnaround up there. It'll be interesting to see if you still feel the same way after BB&N's next five games (Govs, Rivers, Nobles, Seb's, and Pingree). A lot of pretty heavily recruited longsticks and goalies in that group of schools.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:41 pm
Laxcoach55 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:16 pm From watching a few ISL games this year the best defense I've seen is actually with Kimball Union Academy. Goalie is tremendous and their team defense is excellent.
Good for KUA. Nice turnaround up there. It'll be interesting to see if you still feel the same way after BB&N's next five games (Govs, Rivers, Nobles, Seb's, and Pingree). A lot of pretty heavily recruited longsticks and goalies in that group of schools.
Yes. Murderers row. BBN lost their best long pole for the season in a non-lacrosse injury. Max Ewald. He's outstanding. Still a very young team but there are no easy games in the ISL.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Too bad for Max. Hope he heals quickly.

Looks like Seb's is up 17-2 over St. George's... at the half. :o
KMAR65

Post by KMAR65 »

Anyone have insights into the BH v Tabor score? 7-6 looks like Tabor played a great game keeping it close. Was BH spent from Gov's win?

Milton went down 6-2 at half to Middlesex but battled back hard in the second half for great 11-9 W.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

No insights into Belmont Hill - Tabor, but on paper BH is playing with fire. 5-0 with four of those wins by one goal. Granted, they get EVERYONE's best shot, but still...

Milton-Middlesex result is surprising, but a lot of results have been surprising thus far. Congrats to the Mustangs. They haven't had a ton of wins against Middlesex over the years.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

A look at some of the interesting match ups this weekend in what could be some pretty soggy games. Govs already destroyed a decent Lawrence Academy team 18-7 last night.

Game of the day - Nobles @ Brooks:
After an 0-4 start against some tough competition, Nobles have won three in a row. This is a very young team (only 2-3 seniors that are major contributors as far as I can tell), so they should improve throughout the season. Brooks have had a good start, but the only team of real strength they've faced is Rivers which they kept close but lost. Basically this is a very strong program in a down year vs. a solid program in an up year. I like Brooks' seniors to get the win and keep hopes of a title alive. 10-8 Brooks

Tabor @ St. Seb's: The Seawolves are winless in the ISL despite some close outcomes. Perhaps they catch Seb's looking ahead to Belmont Hill, but I doubt it. 12-6 Seb's

Rivers @ BB&N: Rivers have won seven in a row. They get the eighth against an improved BB&N, before a big match up at Govs on Wednesday. 12-5 Rivers

Milton Academy @ Belmont Hill: Milton's scores have been all over the place, and it doesn't look like they play a lot of defense, which is exactly the type of team Belmont Hill feasts upon. BH beat Avon and beat down Govs, but one-goal wins over teams they should've run off the field are worrisome. Still, I think they lock in for one more tune up before Seb's. 16-6 Belmont Hill

RL @ Groton: Two teams that have played a lot of low scoring rock fights so far. The defenses for both teams are stronger than the offenses, and I expect the score to reflect that. 6-5 RL

Middlesex @ Thayer: The Tigers are still looking to get their first win for coach Rubeor. It's a very young team that's done alright defensively, but looks to have real issues generating offense. Middlesex have kind been all over the place, dropping two to start the season, winning three in a row, and then dropping their last two. They should have enough in this one. 9-5 Middlesex

St. George's @ St. Mark's: St. George's doesn't appear competitive this season, as the closest they've kept an ISL contest so far was a six-goal loss. St. Mark's hasn't hit the potential of their roster talent, but should have plenty to win this one. 11-4 St. Mark's
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

Rivers 8-4 over BBN in the 3rd.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

11-8 Rivers over BBN.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

Interesting game today....BC High v Dexter. Any predictions?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Where did you see that? BC High twitter says they're playing Malden Catholic today. Even though they are down from last season, BC High would probably drill Dexter who are currently 1-8 and haven't hit double digits on offense since March.
Laxcoach55

Post by Laxcoach55 »

Laxxal22 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:57 am Where did you see that? BC High twitter says they're playing Malden Catholic today. Even though they are down from last season, BC High would probably drill Dexter who are currently 1-8 and haven't hit double digits on offense since March.
I saw it earlier on BostonLax but checked again and it's not there. Probably a misprint
SidelineHorn

Post by SidelineHorn »

Can Opener wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 pm Here is my crazy prediction of the fall. The catalyst for the ISL to finally tier boys lacrosse will be .... wait for it ... Dexter. That school has already catapulted themselves into a legit top 30 program in hockey and is on a mission to do the same in lacrosse. They now have arguably the best home lacrosse facility in metro Boston and a top tier coaching staff. They have some flexibility with admissions and aid that ISL schools lack due to league rules. Most importantly, they have a very light league schedule that will allow them to schedule high profile games like IMG, Culver and the CT schools. The ISL teams are hampered by burner games against the bottom half of the league. Watching Dexter make noise in their back yard will prompt the ISL to finally tier lacrosse like hockey and football.
What happened there?
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Two games on Wednesday that will really shape title contention and the second half of the season.

Rivers @ Govs: Two teams hit with the injury bug at different times of the season. Rivers were dinged up as things kicked off, Govs are dealing with it now. Neither team seems to have a standout on offense, but both have good depth of scoring. I like Govs overall depth and talent a little bit better. 11-8 Govs

St. Seb's @ Belmont Hill: Always a slugfest. Both teams had some nice non-league wins, a few "meh" performances, and have really turned it up in their last two outings. Very even, so it'll come down to stuff like which team wins more 50/50 GBs, commits fewer penalties, and has the hotter goalie. Seb's probably have a slight edge at defense and attack but I think BH have the dmen to largely neutralize the Arrows' attack which is a little top heavy. I like BH's midfield a little better, and they're the home team.

A Belmont Hill win, coupled with a Rivers win would put BH in the drivers seat to a solo title, and Govs hopes of even a shared title would be in major trouble. A Seb's win, and a close win by Govs would set up for a real interesting final month. Certainly unique that a random Wednesday in April is so important, but an 11-game league schedule (like it was until 2003) followed by playoffs would be so much better. 10-8 Belmont Hill, but I basically see it as a coin flip
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Middlesex @ Lawrence Academy in a rare ISL livestream: http://www.localsportsproductions.com/live/
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Looks like the #1 vs. #2 and #3 vs. #4 did not disappoint.

St. Seb's 9 - Belmont Hill 7. Looks like the Arrows led pretty much the whole way.

Govs 9 - Rivers 8. Red Wings were up 7-5 at the end of three before giving up the comeback.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

The rest of yesterday's results

Brooks 7 - St. Mark's 6: Two teams I thought could be strong at the start of the season. It's played out well for Brooks, not so much for St. Mark's.

Middlesex 12 - Lawrence Academy 9: Middlesex snaps a three-game losing streak. Lawrence continues to put together their most competitive season in years.

Tabor 7 - Groton 2: The Seawolves first ISL win of the season. These two rosters are a year away from making some real noise.

Thayer 14 - Milton 13: Thayer gets their second one goal win in a row. Milton continues to score and give up goals at a high rate.

Nobles 14 - BB&N 5: Though young, these Bulldogs still have bite. BH, Govs, and Rivers are still left on the schedule. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win 1 or two of those.

Roxbury Latin 15 - St. George's 6: This might be the most goals RL have scored since Sean Lowrie played for the Foxes. Still a dangerous team despite some up and down results.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

SidelineHorn wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:19 pm
Can Opener wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:55 pm Here is my crazy prediction of the fall. The catalyst for the ISL to finally tier boys lacrosse will be .... wait for it ... Dexter. That school has already catapulted themselves into a legit top 30 program in hockey and is on a mission to do the same in lacrosse. They now have arguably the best home lacrosse facility in metro Boston and a top tier coaching staff. They have some flexibility with admissions and aid that ISL schools lack due to league rules. Most importantly, they have a very light league schedule that will allow them to schedule high profile games like IMG, Culver and the CT schools. The ISL teams are hampered by burner games against the bottom half of the league. Watching Dexter make noise in their back yard will prompt the ISL to finally tier lacrosse like hockey and football.
What happened there?
OK, that was probably more "crazy" than "prediction." Dexter's rise may still be a few years away.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”