Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

Duke's scheduling strategy didn't exactly work out for them last season. They lost one too many games to teams outside the top 20 RPI. That was likely the difference.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to predict what the selection committee will do year to year. I still think the best strategy is to play as many good opponents as you can to give yourself as many "quality win" opportunities as possible and a guaranteed strong RPI if you get to .500.

We were still #20 in RPI last year even at 7-9. I know it might sound ridiculous to some of you but the absolute fact of the matter is that if one result was different (say for instance we didn't absolutely choke in the 4th quarter against Navy in a game we were leading the whole time), we'd have been 8-8, probably like #16-17 in RPI and on the tournament bubble. We still wouldn't have gotten in but it wouldn't have been terribly far off.

Based on that, with a 2023 schedule that's about the same if not even harder than last year, PM is betting that the team will be a bit better. Maybe it won't pay off. But it's a reasonable bet to take IMO. I'd prefer that to the alternative. If you soften the schedule a year after you're 7-9 and top 20 RPI you are taking the exact wrong message from your season. You need to hold your ground. A couple balls bounce differently and the season suddenly looks different.

jrn19 is right — if the team is good, the schedule being tough shouldn't and likely won't be the reason your season ends earlier than you want it to. They'll find a way through it. If the team isn't good then the schedule will matter even less. Even a softened schedule can't really mask a bad team, and it won't help you get into the playoffs. Bottom line, just be better. The rest takes care of itself.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:47 am Duke's scheduling strategy didn't exactly work out for them last season. They lost one too many games to teams outside the top 20 RPI. That was likely the difference.

It's becoming increasingly difficult to predict what the selection committee will do year to year. I still think the best strategy is to play as many good opponents as you can to give yourself as many "quality win" opportunities as possible and a guaranteed strong RPI if you get to .500.

We were still #20 in RPI last year even at 7-9. I know it might sound ridiculous to some of you but the absolute fact of the matter is that if one result was different (say for instance we didn't absolutely choke in the 4th quarter against Navy in a game we were leading the whole time), we'd have been 8-8, probably like #16-17 in RPI and on the tournament bubble. We still wouldn't have gotten in but it wouldn't have been terribly far off.

Based on that, with a 2023 schedule that's about the same if not even harder than last year, PM is betting that the team will be a bit better. Maybe it won't pay off. But it's a reasonable bet to take IMO. I'd prefer that to the alternative. If you soften the schedule a year after you're 7-9 and top 20 RPI you are taking the exact wrong message from your season. You need to hold your ground. A couple balls bounce differently and the season suddenly looks different.

jrn19 is right — if the team is good, the schedule being tough shouldn't and likely won't be the reason your season ends earlier than you want it to. They'll find a way through it. If the team isn't good then the schedule will matter even less. Even a softened schedule can't really mask a bad team, and it won't help you get into the playoffs. Bottom line, just be better. The rest takes care of itself.
That's the challenge. Whether 2023 will see a lot of evidence of that occurring is another matter, but undoubtedly that's the correct approach if one actually wants to build a top-notch program worthy of the Hopkins legacy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:37 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:22 am While it's another absolutely horrible take by the Black Hole
Hey, you figured it out!!
Yes, Sagittarius A * is the Black Hole at the center of our galaxy!!
Kudos!!!
I'm impressed.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3mbBbFH9fAg
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:47 am Duke's scheduling strategy didn't exactly work out for them last season. They lost one too many games to teams outside the top 20 RPI. That was likely the difference.

it had actually become increasingly easy to predict what the committee would do year-to-year precovid. rpi and then more rpi.

now, it's anyone's guess. rpi was thrown out the window so moving up there doesn't necessarily matter.

an 8 and 8 hopkins or a tiger of any stripe doesn't likely get in the convo with zero top 20 wins, tho.
or wins vs. tournament teams or whatever the new nom du jour is.

just play a schedule where you have a number of top 20 chances and win some, and pray. it's a challenging schedule. but they have 4 teams that were 30 to 40+ last year, others out of the top 20. if you're a tourn team you have to win a bunch of those games along with several under 20s.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:36 pm

it had actually become increasingly easy to predict what the committee would do year-to-year precovid. rpi and then more rpi.

now, it's anyone's guess. rpi was thrown out the window so moving up there doesn't necessarily matter.

an 8 and 8 hopkins or a tiger of any stripe doesn't likely get in the convo with zero top 20 wins, tho.

just play a schedule where you have a number of top 20 chances and win some, and pray. it's a challenging schedule. but they have 4 teams that were 30 to 40+ last year, others out of the top 20. if you're a tourn team you have to win a bunch of those games along with several under 20s.
It starts with beating good teams on your schedule. Doubling up with 2 wins against one halfway decent opponent should in fact be discounted…..

What he said: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmjhhXYD ... JhMjlhZTc=

Make it hard. That has always been my philosophy…..don’t complain to me if you aren’t playing or aren’t pick. MAKE IT HARD FOR THEM NOT TO SELECT YOU. Otherwise, you may be left on the outside looking in.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

it isn't hard knocks, nba inside stuff and the music is terrible but good to see they're rolling out more content instead of the old 1500 word season preview 2 days before the first game.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:18 pm

It starts with beating good teams on your schedule. Doubling up with 2 wins against one halfway decent opponent should in fact be discounted…..

Make it hard. That has always been my philosophy…..don’t complain to me if you aren’t playing or aren’t pick. MAKE IT HARD FOR THEM NOT TO SELECT YOU. Otherwise, you may be left on the outside looking in.
wwdd. oh, i'm with you now. no complaints from anyone anywhere going forward. this is the system we chose. 5 folks in a back room. what ever is old is new again.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:38 pm

wwdd. oh, i'm with you now. no complaints from anyone anywhere going forward. this is the system we chose. 5 folks in a back room. what ever is old is new again.
You can complain but don’t expect a sympathetic shoulder. A number of teams can be the last team in. Don’t be on the cut line.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:40 pm

You can complain but don’t expect a sympathetic shoulder. A number of teams can be the last team in. Don’t be on the cut line.
oh, i'm done with those sympathetic shoulders. don't live on the bubble.
Typical Lax Dad

wgdsr wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:43 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:40 pm

oh, i'm done with those. don't live on the bubble.
That’s right. Good advice.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm https://www.instagram.com/jhumenslax/

it isn't hard knocks, nba inside stuff and the music is terrible but good to see they're rolling out more content instead of the old 1500 word season preview 2 days before the first game.
You mean to tell me the posts on a college lacrosse Instagram do not rise to the level of quality of a multibillion dollar Hollywood entertainment company?

Not sure what's with the pathological need for all compliments to be backhanded. You can just say the social media content has been good lately. It's among the best I've seen from a college lacrosse program this year. It's certainly better than that of several other Big Ten teams despite their dozens of additional athletic department employees. Hm, wonder why that is.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

"don't live on the bubble"

My old college FB coach used to say about bad ref calls, "if you left it up to 1 or 2 ref calls, you didn't win the battle"

Given all the advantages & brand awareness Hop has had its hard to point to the facilities arm-race and claim to be a victim..

Every single recruit knows Hop's legacy so when J-ville, G-Town, OSU, High Point, St Joe's or Delaware out recruit Hop for impact players, it's on the coaching staff. Fwiw Several D1 teams aren't even fully funded.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Georgetown is out recruiting just about everyone these days.

I don’t see a Jack Myers or an Owen Grant on Hopkins’ roster,
though lets see what happens with this incoming class.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 pm Georgetown is out recruiting just about everyone these days.

But Owen Murphy WAS on Hopkins roster and he now has a Championship ring on a team he was a key part of.

Just sayin'...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:19 pm
10stone5 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 pm Georgetown is out recruiting just about everyone these days.

But Owen Murphy WAS on Hopkins roster and he now has a Championship ring on a team he was a key part of.

Just sayin'...
I've heard baseball fans like to throw batteries....
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

NElaxtalent wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:19 pm

Just sayin'...
Still a hard one to figure out. I suspect PM was instituting a culture change and Murphy who by all accounts infractions were minor was the sacrificial lamb. Subsequently many other players have been kept on for much worse including racial incidents. At least he didn’t go to the Jays rival, score a huge goal point to his Maryland jersey and mock the Jays bench. At least that didn’t happen right?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:32 pm

You mean to tell me the posts on a college lacrosse Instagram do not rise to the level of quality of a multibillion dollar Hollywood entertainment company?

Not sure what's with the pathological need for all compliments to be backhanded. You can just say the social media content has been good lately. It's among the best I've seen from a college lacrosse program this year. It's certainly better than that of several other Big Ten teams despite their dozens of additional athletic department employees. Hm, wonder why that is.
It's not hard to stick an iphone in front of a 20 year old or coaches face for 5 minutes and ask them how practice went. this is mens lacrosse. The standard is higher.

Maryland apparently has a 13 person lacrosse staff including coaches and a fan experience advisor. Wild times.
https://umterps.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/roster?view=2
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 9:45 am

It's not hard to stick an iphone in front of a 20 year old or coaches face for 5 minutes and ask them how practice went. this is mens lacrosse. The standard is higher.

Maryland apparently has a 13 person lacrosse staff including coaches and a fan experience advisor. Wild times.
Good marketing, as lots of those are undoubtedly assigned to more than one sport.
B10KeepsGrowing

Post by B10KeepsGrowing »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:07 am

Good marketing, as lots of those are undoubtedly assigned to more than one sport.
Correct and if you look closely all but 4 are actual coaches for lacrosse. The other 9 work with a multitude of sports. It is great to see but as the prior posted noted, Good marketing!
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

Are you under the impression that Hopkins Lacrosse doesn't have any of the following in addition to the 4 coaches:
Director or Ops - John Cohen
Equipment Manager - Phil Junis
Academic Advisor(s) - Multiple
Athletic Trainer - Ryan Sley and Chris Girken
Strength and Conditioning - Jay Dyer
Associate AD/Athletic Communications - Ernie Larossa
Assistant Director of Development, Events & Stewardship - Annie Koogle
Associate Director of Student-Athlete Success - Steve Malvaso
Associate Director of Athletics/Facilities & Events - Brandon Holley
Nutritionist - I forget her name but if you're really interested I can get it for you

Hopkins Lacrosse has as much, if not more, of a support staff for their lacrosse teams than every other school. Not everyone listed on the MD Lacrosse "Roster" is solely working for the lacrosse program BTW.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”