York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: York 2023

Post by Asgot »

Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:16 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:09 pm
Asgot wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:46 am it is getting close, I heard that the players received updated schedules yesterday with practice and lifting time scrimmages are set for Harford on 1/28 at 1 pm at home. and the aforementioned scrimmage on 2/4 at Towson. The roster seems to be set with 1 addition and 2 departures. The short preseason will make it important that the boys show up in shape to play. I am also hearing that the players are feeling a little disrespected by being ranked outside the top 5 and having no preseason AA. It all starts for real in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!
Do we have times yet for the Towson scrimmages?
CNU has their scrimmage times listed as 1:00 PM and 3:30 PM on their schedule. If it’s anything like last year my guess would be:

1:00 PM (full scrimmage)
CNU v. York
Towson v. Lehigh

3:30 PM (half scrimmage)
CNU v. Lehigh/Towson
York v. Lehigh/Towson
Hopefully, the weather is a little better, but it seems that as of today the team is fully healthy (last year they had at least 3 kids on the roster out for the year with injuries). I am excited to see if they can carry over their fall performance into the spring. They have experience at every level (except goalie). their offense brings back 5 solid starters and adds Burbank who looked really good in the fall, as well as JD Townsend and Mike Russo that is a solid top-five at attack. there are 9 middies fighting for playing time and 6 solid kids after the top three of Grayson, Wilhelm, and Clark. I do not expect them to play together but they will mix in solid sophomores and freshmen.

The defense will be led by Greene, Blackmon, and Mentzer. their ssdm should be a strength. The defense looked really connected in the fall but clearly, this will be where they have to replace the most with the losses of Michael, Kennedy, and Smith honestly, the defense did not appear to miss a beat in the fall as Biava and Hull played very well.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

I’m really looking forward to heading down to this. Hopefully the weather does cooperate. 30 days out until the real fun starts as well…
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

its getting close to being that time. Kids report back on Saturday practice #1 on Sunday. This past weekend was the last without college lacrosse as next weekend we being to get D1 scrimmages and D3 kicks off the following week. Looking forward to an exciting spring for the Spartans.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:53 am its getting close to being that time. Kids report back on Saturday practice #1 on Sunday. This past weekend was the last without college lacrosse as next weekend we being to get D1 scrimmages and D3 kicks off the following week. Looking forward to an exciting spring for the Spartans.
Indeed. Last year the roster dropped the Tuesday before the first scrimmage, so if history is any indication, we are a week out from having a roster to look at.

2023 roster now appears in the drop down menu, must be being put together now.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Will be interesting to see how Coach Childs goes about preseason. Teams like RIT who play fast don’t have run tests or old school conditioning, but build that into practice. Excited for the next couple weeks.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

LaxFan1991 wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:30 pm Will be interesting to see how Coach Childs goes about preseason. Teams like RIT who play fast don’t have run tests or old school conditioning, but build that into practice. Excited for the next couple weeks.
They actually have a pretty short preseason which implies that the kids need to come back in shape and I think that was his thought when he designed the run test which, (from what I was told) is a series for short shuttles and the conditioning will be mostly done in practice. lift tests are designed to see if you have improved your strength but nothing crazy. They have 6 practices before their first scrimmage I am not sure they have time to do alt of separate conditioning. it is not like they are there a week before classes start and can do 2-a-days
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Short runs and sprints makes a lot more sense than having kids run a mile or two in a timed requirement. Many D1 programs are having players sprint 40-60 yards (multiple times) to simulate game play. This makes a lot more sense. This resembles how basketball gets players in shape. My son played BB through HS and never had training or testing for long distance runs, but come spring, when lax started, BB players were always in the best shape
Back in the day, we called them NAVYS. End line to top of box and back, then to mid line and back. Then to top of the next box and back, then end line end line.
Interesting to see the other programs on social media. USNA was back on the field 1/6. Lynchburg, SMCM started yesterday. I guess it is dictated by school calendars.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Asgot wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:46 am it is getting close, I heard that the players received updated schedules yesterday with practice and lifting time scrimmages are set for Harford on 1/28 at 1 pm at home. and the aforementioned scrimmage on 2/4 at Towson. The roster seems to be set with 1 addition and 2 departures. The short preseason will make it important that the boys show up in shape to play. I am also hearing that the players are feeling a little disrespected by being ranked outside the top 5 and having no preseason AA. It all starts for real in a couple of weeks, can't wait!!
Where did you find the preseason AA for D3. I was looking the other day and only found D1. Then today I saw D2 was released. Curious to see
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:34 pm Where did you find the preseason AA for D3. I was looking the other day and only found D1. Then today I saw D2 was released. Curious to see
JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm US Lacrosse Pre-Season All Americans in Jan. Magazine:

Attack:
Jack Boyden - Tufts
Will Byrne - Bowdoin
Luke Pilcher - RIT

Middies:
Coby Auslander - CNU
Jack Dowd - Salisbury
Riley Mitchell - Lynchburg

Defense:
Kyle Adelmann - Tufts
Mike Grace - RIT
Ryan Young - CNUI

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan - Hamilton

SSDM:
Jack Titus - Union

FO:
Ethan Barnard - Bowdoin

LSM:
John Defazio - Salisbury
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:45 pm
Jumbo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:34 pm Where did you find the preseason AA for D3. I was looking the other day and only found D1. Then today I saw D2 was released. Curious to see
JPAtlantic wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:41 pm US Lacrosse Pre-Season All Americans in Jan. Magazine:

Attack:
Jack Boyden - Tufts
Will Byrne - Bowdoin
Luke Pilcher - RIT

Middies:
Coby Auslander - CNU
Jack Dowd - Salisbury

Defense:
Kyle Adelmann - Tufts
Mike Grace - RIT
Ryan Young - CNUI

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan - Hamilton

SSDM:
Jack Titus - Union

FO:
Ethan Barnard - Bowdoin

LSM:
John Defazio - Salisbury
Any York players get mentioned for 2nd team or honorable mention?

There has to be a story behind that goalies name.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 5:18 pm Short runs and sprints makes a lot more sense than having kids run a mile or two in a timed requirement. Many D1 programs are having players sprint 40-60 yards (multiple times) to simulate game play. This makes a lot more sense. This resembles how basketball gets players in shape. My son played BB through HS and never had training or testing for long distance runs, but come spring, when lax started, BB players were always in the best shape
Back in the day, we called them NAVYS. End line to top of box and back, then to mid line and back. Then to top of the next box and back, then end line end line.
Interesting to see the other programs on social media. USNA was back on the field 1/6. Lynchburg, SMCM started yesterday. I guess it is dictated by school calendars.
Agreed. In the past things like weight room and running sounded like a check the box thing for Childs until a team is stronger or faster
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Jumbo wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:55 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:45 pm

Attack:
Jack Boyden - Tufts
Will Byrne - Bowdoin
Luke Pilcher - RIT

Middies:
Coby Auslander - CNU
Jack Dowd - Salisbury

Defense:
Kyle Adelmann - Tufts
Mike Grace - RIT
Ryan Young - CNUI

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan - Hamilton

SSDM:
Jack Titus - Union

FO:
Ethan Barnard - Bowdoin

LSM:
John Defazio - Salisbury
Any York players get mentioned for 2nd team or honorable mention?

There has to be a story behind that goalies name.
I think the full list comes out in the next few days.

York is a great team filled with tons of talent and I’m sure they will have multiple player on the 2nd team/3rd team/HM list(Mayer and Greene to name a few).

I think York having no players on the 1st team list is just a result of the amount of talent going around D3 right now. I would argue that Mayer may be better than a few of those guys, but he’s still only a sophomore so it’s hard to get good recognition.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Looks like the roster is dropping today. Literally, and figuratively
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

As far as I was told the roster will have no substantial changes with the exception of the freshmen who left that we already spoke about and Stella deciding to not play his last year.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:14 pm Looks like the roster is dropping today. Literally, and figuratively
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Asgot wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 pm As far as I was told the roster will have no substantial changes with the exception of the freshmen who left that we already spoke about and Stella deciding to not play his last year.
Sounds like they’ll be right at 50 then.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Yes, and the boys are starting to head back at this point and all of them will be back by Saturday
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 pm
Asgot wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:12 pm As far as I was told the roster will have no substantial changes with the exception of the freshmen who left that we already spoke about and Stella deciding to not play his last year.
I am seeing 48 listed.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Jumbo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:06 am
DeepPocket wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:49 pm
I am seeing 48 listed.
No Tyler Morgan and no Thomas Barton
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

https://ycpspartans.com/sports/mens-lac ... oster/2023

So, with the roster at 48, here’s how it breaks down;

5th- 3
Sr- 9
Jr- 8
So- 16
Fr- 12

Lots of talent on the roster, and as Mayer proved as a freshman last year, time can be earned by anyone regardless of year.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”