Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Bart

Re: Syracuse

Post by Bart »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:23 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -superstar

Great article about my favorite, most underrated player.
Nice article; thanks for posting it. Her steady excellence, game in and game out, is what I will remember about her in the years to come.
Agreed, a nice article for a really good player. I am wondering how a 2X first team AA (IWLCA) Tewaaaraton finalist and preseason player of the year is underrated? Perhaps by some here? Don't see her as underrated. She has been one of the best players for several years.

Just curious as to why you think she is underrated laxer12?
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

Bart wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -superstar

Nice article; thanks for posting it. Her steady excellence, game in and game out, is what I will remember about her in the years to come.
Agreed, a nice article for a really good player. I am wondering how a 2X first team AA (IWLCA) Tewaaaraton finalist and preseason player of the year is underrated? Perhaps by some here? Don't see her as underrated. She has been one of the best players for several years.

Underated? hardly. Also its pretty easy for players to excel in their position when they have been playing that same exact position since early high school. A lot of great players played midfield or high or low attack in high school then moved around in their positioning in college. A lot of people dont realise that. If you have played the exact same position for 7 years it def helps you to become elite.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Comments like the one below yours for example lol. Posters on here conjuring up any lazily nit-picked, misinformed, contrarian reason to dismiss her as not an elite player. "It's not hard to be an elite attacker when you've been playing the position for so long." Um, what? Countless athletes (not just lax players obviously) play sports from a very young age and if they're very good at one of those sports in particular, they stick with that sport (specialize in it), and if (big IF) they're "elite" enough, they make it to the highest level of said sport and just maybe, might win some major awards along the way.

I also remember posters on here saying she didn't deserve to be a tewaaraton finalist last year even though she put up similar (or better) offensive numbers than the other attackers she was up against. And I still don't think she gets enough credit for being able to do what she has done considering the massive injuries that have plagued Syracuse on the offensive end for the last two seasons.

So I guess I'm really just referring to posters on here (although I definitely think she was snubbed, not being named a finalist in 2021) when I say that she's been very underrated and unappreciated. In my eyes, she's one of the most skilled, high-IQ, deadly efficient lacrosse players I've ever seen play. Coach Treanor put it best when she stated, "The only player I've ever seen that is like her, is Katie Rowan, where it's like, 'She just had seven goals. How did that happen?'"
DMac

Post by DMac »

"Pretty easy" is downplaying her prowess at the position. Excelling at the position at the HS level where the competition is nowhere near where it is at the D1 level is one thing, but to maintain it as the competition stiffens is quite another. MT did somehow stay somewhat under the radar for a long time playing in the shadow of EH. Enter the flashier Carney, Ward, and her speedy sister, but it's MH who is the rock solid leader of the Cuse team. She's something else!!
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 pm

Comments like the one below yours for example lol. Posters on here conjuring up any lazily nit-picked, misinformed, contrarian reason to dismiss her as not an elite player. "It's not hard to be an elite attacker when you've been playing the position for so long." Um, what? Countless athletes (not just lax players obviously) play sports from a very young age and if they're very good at one of those sports in particular, they stick with that sport (specialize in it), and if (big IF) they're "elite" enough, they make it to the highest level of said sport and just maybe, might win some major awards along the way.

I also remember posters on here saying she didn't deserve to be a tewaaraton finalist last year even though she put up similar (or better) offensive numbers than the other attackers she was up against. And I still don't think she gets enough credit for being able to do what she has done considering the massive injuries that have plagued Syracuse on the offensive end for the last two seasons.

So I guess I'm really just referring to posters on here (although I definitely think she was snubbed, not being named a finalist in 2021) when I say that she's been very underrated and unappreciated. In my eyes, she's one of the most skilled, high-IQ, deadly efficient lacrosse players I've ever seen play. Coach Treanor put it best when she stated, "The only player I've ever seen that is like her, is Katie Rowan, where it's like, 'She just had seven goals. How did that happen?'"
Not lazy or misinformed. If you play in the small area ie low attack for example...for years you are logically going to get very good. You are choosing to miss the point. Never said anything about other sports (? what?) lol
DMac

Post by DMac »

Logically and actually are two different things. MT has actually excelled, many others logically should have but didn't. Your downplaying her AA and T Award finalist level of play is curious.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:59 pm Logically and actually are two different things. MT has actually excelled, many others logically should have but didn't. Your downplaying her AA and T Award finalist level of play is curious.
Im merely saying I dont feel enough credit is given to other players who didnt get the luxury of playing in the same spot for 7-8 years.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

madlaxer59 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:37 pm

Not lazy or misinformed. If you play in the small area ie low attack for example...for years you are logically going to get very good. You are choosing to miss the point. Never said anything about other sports (? what?) lol
I'm not missing anything. You are intentionally undermining and dismissing her excellent play by stating she's only really good because she's been playing in that same spot for a long time. Um, all elite athletes, in their respective sports and/or positions, get really good by playing that same position they're best at and honing in on the skills that position requires. Not sure how or why you think that is something negative and should be looked down upon.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:10 pm

I'm not missing anything. You are intentionally undermining and dismissing her excellent play by stating she's only really good because she's been playing in that same spot for a long time. Um, all elite athletes, in their respective sports and/or positions, get really good by playing that same position they're best at and honing in on the skills that position requires. Not sure how or why you think that is something negative and should be looked down upon.
Last edited by madlaxer59 on Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madlaxer59

Post by madlaxer59 »

madlaxer59 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:25 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Incorrect. As I previously said. Many Tewarraton calliber and AA attackers were middies in high school. And went on to play attack low/high not any one specific area . Dont you think someone playing the same position for 7-8 years - say low attack, might have an advantage over a player who played midfield and then moved to attack in college.. . MT is a very good player . One fact doesn’t negate the other .
DMac

Post by DMac »

Excellent GK play recognition must make you crazy.
Logically they should all be standing on their heads,
after all they play their whole careers in just a small
circle. Your reasoning and attempt to underplay MT's
superior play feels way off base and out of line to me.
Bart

Post by Bart »

madlaxer59 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:12 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:59 pm Logically and actually are two different things. MT has actually excelled, many others logically should have but didn't. Your downplaying her AA and T Award finalist level of play is curious.
Im merely saying I dont feel enough credit is given to other players who didnt get the luxury of playing in the same spot for 7-8 years.
IDK, seems to me you get credit for what you do on the field not how many years you been playing in a particular position. Easier? I guess perhaps mabee. Or is it that one player fit into a system well enough or beat out or was good enough to remain in that position while the player that moved was not? Lots of factors go into the soup...... It is not a luxury per se but a fact that player remaining in her position properly fit into what the coach was doing and good enough to stick there and the other player had talents the coach envisioned elsewhere.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 pm Excellent GK play recognition must make you crazy.
100% this.
Last edited by laxer12 on Sat Jan 14, 2023 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idontknowtherules

Post by Idontknowtherules »

DMac wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:26 pm Excellent GK play recognition must make you crazy.
Exactly!! Spot on
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t agree with this. An analogy would be saying it’s logical that someone who only plays one sport forever has an easier glide path to the top of the elite cohort rather than one who plays multiple sports and cross disciplined. Understanding a position is enhanced by having experiences in the other positions around it. The opposite of your assertion.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

I don't know of many teams that are capable of competing at the level that Syracuse has been able to do with the insane number of injuries they have had over the last 2 years. After each injury the offensive dynamic is changed, yet somehow MT just keeps doing her thing and as always making it look so simple she is a joy to watch !
Bart

Post by Bart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:46 am

I don’t agree with this. An analogy would be saying it’s logical that someone who only plays one sport forever has an easier glide path to the top of the elite cohort rather than one who plays multiple sports and cross disciplined. Understanding a position is enhanced by having experiences in the other positions around it. The opposite of your assertion.
If that were the case then the majority of top flight players in the game would be single sport athletes. Is that the case? I do not think it is.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Both of the Tyrell sisters have been just incredible, a little different styles but both have stepped up and played big roles for Cuse. When a Carney, EH, and Ward go down and out those are major loses, all integral parts of the team and particularly the O. ET stepped up huge, when she went down and out MT just picked up that part of load and carried it too. Need a goal? Give the ball to MT and she'll make an impossible angle possible. Should be noted she hasn't done all this by herself but to say she's been phenomenal is not over stating. m'59 makes no sense with his/her nonsense. I'm a pot smoker but I don't want any of what he/she's smokin'. :mrgreen:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 pm

If that were the case then the majority of top flight players in the game would be single sport athletes. Is that the case? I do not think it is.
That’s what I’m saying. Cross training makes excellence in any one domain easier/more likely. We saw what happened in the last twenty years to singularly focused kids. All for the sake of getting into a top college.

But that’s the corollary to the argument that it’s easier for someone who only plays one position their whole life. Reality is someone who played attack, mid, goalie etc understands the function of the attack position innately in ways a singularly focused attack would not as well.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Bart

Post by Bart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:22 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 pm

That’s what I’m saying. Cross training makes excellence in any one domain easier/more likely. We saw what happened in the last twenty years to singularly focused kids. All for the sake of getting into a top college.

But that’s the corollary to the argument that it’s easier for someone who only plays one position their whole life. Reality is someone who played attack, mid, goalie etc understands the function of the attack position innately in ways a singularly focused attack would not as well.
I misunderstood.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”