Syracuse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 pm Thinking about letting my 8yr old daughter go to a lacrosse camp down here in Atlanta where the big name is Michelle Tumelo. What can folks tell me about her? Former Orange star I understand but know nothing about women’s college lacrosse.
I would send my daughter to a Michele Tumolo camp in a heartbeat!! Current coach at USMA, played for G. Gait. Hangin' around Gary on a lacrosse field pays big dividends. Coached out in Oregon for a couple of years with Katrina Dowd and Becca Block, two absolutely gifted superstars. These are Team USA caliber players and it doesn't get better than that. Tumolo is top shelf, don't hesitate to send your daughter to her camp if you're going to send her to one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Tumolo
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 10:24 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:25 pm Thinking about letting my 8yr old daughter go to a lacrosse camp down here in Atlanta where the big name is Michelle Tumelo. What can folks tell me about her? Former Orange star I understand but know nothing about women’s college lacrosse.
I would send my daughter to a Michele Tumolo camp in a heartbeat!! Current coach at USMA, played for G. Gait. Hangin' around Gary on a lacrosse field pays big dividends. Coached out in Oregon for a couple of years with Katrina Dowd and Becca Block, two absolutely gifted superstars. These are Team USA caliber players and it doesn't get better than that. Tumolo is top shelf, don't hesitate to send your daughter to her camp if you're going to send her to one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelle_Tumolo
Figured you’d like her. Here’s the camp.

https://www.prolacrossecamps.com/?fbcli ... 2YWpuwXHho
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yeah, this part tells you pretty much all you need to know.
https://www.prolacrossecamps.com/atlanta-girls-details
Michelle was before my time of having any interest is wlax, the rules changes was literally a game changer, you've got to start watching these girls. Watched her play in the WPLL though and it didn't take long to see why she's got the rep she does. She's REALLY good!! Definitely the real deal. Again, I'd send my daughter to her camp in a heartbeat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP7bs3Fo_Tk&t=20s
njbill

Post by njbill »

I would strongly endorse Tumi as well, and not just because she's a South Jersey girl. Phenomenal player and, by all accounts, a great person and coach.

Not relevant to her coaching or her character, but I first saw her play in club the summer after either her freshman or sophomore year in HS. She was on a club team I followed, but I hadn't seen her play before. Was standing next to a buddy as she played in a game. After a few minutes, I said, "who the hell is THAT??" Absolutely knocked my socks off, she was that good.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe this will tip it over. My son is more into sports than daughter but it seemed good for her too. Part of me doesn’t want them to do camps at 8 & 10 but I think it could be a really good experience and not far off what a week of summer camp runs us anyways. Heck sleepaway camp at a nearby lake run by the YMCA called High Harbor runs like $650-$750/week.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:22 pm Maybe this will tip it over. My son is more into sports than daughter but it seemed good for her too. Part of me doesn’t want them to do camps at 8 & 10 but I think it could be a really good experience and not far off what a week of summer camp runs us anyways. Heck sleepaway camp at a nearby lake run by the YMCA called High Harbor runs like $650-$750/week.
I know little of Coach Tumolo other than watching her play and her teams play. Both very entertaining.

I would ask if your daughter has any experience at all playing the game? Has she played at all in a local rec league or had any instruction at all on how to do the most basic things with a lacrosse stick....ie down to holding it properly to throw and catch? Depending on how truly green she is I might caution on sending a very green kid to a camp. She may be just fine but she may also be overwhelmed but only you know your daughter good enough to make that call.

I often worked camps, teaching camps, back in the day ( a very looong time ago) and there were usually 1 or 2 kids who were truly green per session. More than once I recall them becoming completely overwhelmed and checking out.

Just a $0.02 take, use it for what it is worth. Either way, I hope she enjoys her experience with the game and sticks with it.
njbill

Post by njbill »

I think Bart makes an excellent point.

ffg, you may know all this, but in case not, in the years I have been following the game, the level of play in girls lacrosse in the Atlanta area has improved dramatically. I have seen Milton and their club, eagle sticks, a number of times over the years. They play very good lacrosse. The recently graduated Notre Dame goalie played at Milton. I have not seen players as young as eight years old, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Atlanta area clubs with late middle school or early high school players. They aren’t at the level of the top Northeast clubs, but are definitely competitive with those in the second tier.

I would be almost certain that the name Michele Tumolo will be very well known in the female lacrosse community down there, and that her camp will attract some, maybe many, good players, even as young as 8.

I see that the website says the camp is also for beginners. Not sure this would be possible, but it wouldn’t hurt to try to find out what the level of experience will be of the girls in your daughter’s group.

This may not be the camp for somebody who has never played the game or is just starting out. But I’m not positive about that. I suspect Michele is very good with young kids and could spark interest. She has an effervescent personality, which I think will be appealing to young kids. How much interaction your kid would actually have with her is uncertain. The website says she will be there the entire camp, but I’m sure she will move around between the various age groups. I have no sense at all for the quality of the other instructors at the camp or the ones who would be most involved with your daughter.

Prior to getting the job at Army, she coached at Wagner on Staten Island. A few years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine whose defender daughter was going to commit to Wagner. Her attacker twin sister was considering other schools. I said to her dad, if you are an attacker, why in the world wouldn’t you want to be coached by Michele Tumolo, who is one of the greatest, most innovative, attackers ever. He agreed with me, but shrugged his shoulders as to why his daughter wanted to go elsewhere. She ended up at Manhattan so it might’ve been a location thing.

Good luck.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bart wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:51 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 11:22 pm Maybe this will tip it over. My son is more into sports than daughter but it seemed good for her too. Part of me doesn’t want them to do camps at 8 & 10 but I think it could be a really good experience and not far off what a week of summer camp runs us anyways. Heck sleepaway camp at a nearby lake run by the YMCA called High Harbor runs like $650-$750/week.
I know little of Coach Tumolo other than watching her play and her teams play. Both very entertaining.

I would ask if your daughter has any experience at all playing the game? Has she played at all in a local rec league or had any instruction at all on how to do the most basic things with a lacrosse stick....ie down to holding it properly to throw and catch? Depending on how truly green she is I might caution on sending a very green kid to a camp. She may be just fine but she may also be overwhelmed but only you know your daughter good enough to make that call.

I often worked camps, teaching camps, back in the day ( a very looong time ago) and there were usually 1 or 2 kids who were truly green per session. More than once I recall them becoming completely overwhelmed and checking out.

Just a $0.02 take, use it for what it is worth. Either way, I hope she enjoys her experience with the game and sticks with it. Plus a couple of small clinics.
Yes she’s played two seasons on an in town team that’s not super competitive against the over the top and much bigger/older suburb teams so has some experience. She just doesn’t like move off ball and do the active things but actually somehow scored a goal in her first game (sitting near the crease and a pass rolled to her). If she checked out it would be more how emotional she gets when things don’t go her way. That may just be a young daughter thing.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

njbill wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:59 am I think Bart makes an excellent point.

ffg, you may know all this, but in case not, in the years I have been following the game, the level of play in girls lacrosse in the Atlanta area has improved dramatically. I have seen Milton and their club, eagle sticks, a number of times over the years. They play very good lacrosse. The recently graduated Notre Dame goalie played at Milton. I have not seen players as young as eight years old, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Atlanta area clubs with late middle school or early high school players. They aren’t at the level of the top Northeast clubs, but are definitely competitive with those in the second tier.

I would be almost certain that the name Michele Tumolo will be very well known in the female lacrosse community down there, and that her camp will attract some, maybe many, good players, even as young as 8.

I see that the website says the camp is also for beginners. Not sure this would be possible, but it wouldn’t hurt to try to find out what the level of experience will be of the girls in your daughter’s group.

This may not be the camp for somebody who has never played the game or is just starting out. But I’m not positive about that. I suspect Michele is very good with young kids and could spark interest. She has an effervescent personality, which I think will be appealing to young kids. How much interaction your kid would actually have with her is uncertain. The website says she will be there the entire camp, but I’m sure she will move around between the various age groups. I have no sense at all for the quality of the other instructors at the camp or the ones who would be most involved with your daughter.

Prior to getting the job at Army, she coached at Wagner on Staten Island. A few years ago, I was talking to a buddy of mine whose defender daughter was going to commit to Wagner. Her attacker twin sister was considering other schools. I said to her dad, if you are an attacker, why in the world wouldn’t you want to be coached by Michele Tumolo, who is one of the greatest, most innovative, attackers ever. He agreed with me, but shrugged his shoulders as to why his daughter wanted to go elsewhere. She ended up at Manhattan so it might’ve been a location thing.

Good luck.
The “bedside manner” comment about her personality is helpful that’s key with my sometimes overly sensitive daughter:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Can't add anything about specifics of this camp, but I'm definitely a fan of doing a camp or two each year as early as that age as it provides a window into the possible for youngsters.

Sounds like this particular gal has the personality (as well as skill set) to be inspirational...hopefully she's attracted college players/coaches who can be similarly outgoing and inspirational.

Starting at this early age, and having a good time, also makes the next camp all the less daunting. (and it needn't be lax).

Good points on working on all those basic skills in advance so that the 'learning' can be with some well-grounded confidence going in.

There will likely be plenty of girls who don't have that confidence...as well as older girls with a lot...

One thing that can help a kid feel good at the camp is to visualize in advance a lot of the situations they will be in and the little things they can control. Like hustling whenever the coach calls the kids into a circle or sends them to an area of the field...run, don't walk, never be last if possible...keep eyes on coach talking, don't talk to others when coach is talking...get to the front or close to front of any line, don't play around at the back when awaiting next turn, rather watch what others are doing...back up the player in front of you...use your full voice when calling for a pass...little stuff goes a long way to feeling prepared.

Visualization, talking about those various situations, even practicing it a bit...have some fun with it...

These little things also help in the rec experience, the club experience, the various try-outs, etc.

and they're life lessons, so doesn't matter whether lax is actually in the future...
DMac

Post by DMac »

Initially the question was would you send your daughter to a Tumolo camp, I think that's been answered.
I wondered whether this was/is your daughter's first lacrosse experience but that's been answered too.
All good and valid points brought up here but if I'm in your shoes I'm also letting her know that there's
no reason to put any kind of pressure on yourself, be intimidated, or nervous. You're not trying out for
Team USA here, go have fun, bring your energy and enthusiasm it's contagious. Kind of like this.
:D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ5lJ4tf6vk
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm Initially the question was would you send your daughter to a Tumolo camp, I think that's been answered.
I wondered whether this was/is your daughter's first lacrosse experience but that's been answered too.
All good and valid points brought up here but if I'm in your shoes I'm also letting her know that there's
no reason to put any kind of pressure on yourself, be intimidated, or nervous. You're not trying out for
Team USA here, go have fun, bring your energy and enthusiasm it's contagious. Kind of like this.
Don't think you meant to put that particular video there.........may want to rethink that one on the WLax board.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Geezuz H, that's the second time I've done that, nope not quite what was intended.
This is though...enjoy!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGlI66D1U4
njbill

Post by njbill »

Haha. Yeah, that's a bit different from the first video.

Was wondering if they were going to have the Eddie Van Halen solo. Sure enough.

Love to see the spirit of the youth of the world. It really is united. Too bad they can't be in charge.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:16 am Can't add anything about specifics of this camp, but I'm definitely a fan of doing a camp or two each year as early as that age as it provides a window into the possible for youngsters.

Sounds like this particular gal has the personality (as well as skill set) to be inspirational...hopefully she's attracted college players/coaches who can be similarly outgoing and inspirational.

Starting at this early age, and having a good time, also makes the next camp all the less daunting. (and it needn't be lax).

Good points on working on all those basic skills in advance so that the 'learning' can be with some well-grounded confidence going in.

There will likely be plenty of girls who don't have that confidence...as well as older girls with a lot...

One thing that can help a kid feel good at the camp is to visualize in advance a lot of the situations they will be in and the little things they can control. Like hustling whenever the coach calls the kids into a circle or sends them to an area of the field...run, don't walk, never be last if possible...keep eyes on coach talking, don't talk to others when coach is talking...get to the front or close to front of any line, don't play around at the back when awaiting next turn, rather watch what others are doing...back up the player in front of you...use your full voice when calling for a pass...little stuff goes a long way to feeling prepared.

Visualization, talking about those various situations, even practicing it a bit...have some fun with it...

These little things also help in the rec experience, the club experience, the various try-outs, etc.

and they're life lessons, so doesn't matter whether lax is actually in the future...
I coached my sons 4th/5th grade team last fall and he was the worst when it came to the bolded. Disappointing and not helpful when dad is coach.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm Initially the question was would you send your daughter to a Tumolo camp, I think that's been answered.
Yeah it sounds like she's great just have to make a decision if it's worth it. I cant read my daughter well at all. My son is easier, he's too much like me. But at $425 for a couple of days it's enough money I'm on the fence.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:51 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuGlI66D1U4
Yeah it sounds like she's great just have to make a decision if it's worth it. I cant read my daughter well at all. My son is easier, he's too much like me. But at $425 for a couple of days it's enough money I'm on the fence.
Yup, thought about that too which is why I said If you're going to send her to a camp.
$425 for a couple of days sounds pretty steep to me but that seems to be what an awful
lot of people do these days. Glad I didn't have to deal with stuff when my kids were that
age.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:48 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:16 am Can't add anything about specifics of this camp, but I'm definitely a fan of doing a camp or two each year as early as that age as it provides a window into the possible for youngsters.

I coached my sons 4th/5th grade team last fall and he was the worst when it came to the bolded. Disappointing and not helpful when dad is coach.
dad coach can be a challenge with this stuff...much easier when they are trying to impress someone else...
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -superstar

Great article about my favorite, most underrated player.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -superstar

Great article about my favorite, most underrated player.
Nice article; thanks for posting it. Her steady excellence, game in and game out, is what I will remember about her in the years to come.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”