US Lax Mag All Americans

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: US Lax Mag All Americans

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ezra White wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:21 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:47 pm They way Cornell used Adler in the title game was something I can't recall ever seeing before. Adler literally shifted all over the field to take on whoever got hot for Maryland. Started on Wisnauskas, moved to Khan, took on Malever, bumped up to the midfield to guard DeMaio, shifted over to Long...and on and on. It didn't happen by happenstance or on switches. It was clearly intentional. He might have been the best player on the entire field during the title game.

As for Zappitello and Makar, it doesn't make any sense to even call them 1A or 1B or whatever. They're both top cover guys who have really good athleticism. Makar is definitely more aggressive on- and off-ball, and Zappitello's footwork is elite. Shutting out Shellenberger speaks for itself. Because they're both so good, it allows Tillman and Bernhardt to mix and match assignments to throw opponents off.

But no one is going to put 2 defensemen from the same team on the first-team AA list, so ties goes to the elder!
Adler also defends in a way I've never seen a defender play before. Most defenders mark their man and try to prevent them from shooting, making a pass, or beating the defender. They also slide to help out teammates. In other words, they react to the attack. In contrast, Adler actively attacks the attackers. If you're an attackman, for example, you have to defend from Adler causing a turnover.

I think it's fair to say most player on offense aren't used to this style of defense.
It was a long time ago, but that was my philosophy as a LSM. I dictated the action. I tutored a kid that went on to start 4 years of college ball and I couldn’t emphasize that aspect of playing defense enough.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:56 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:47 pm They way Cornell used Adler in the title game was something I can't recall ever seeing before. Adler literally shifted all over the field to take on whoever got hot for Maryland. Started on Wisnauskas, moved to Khan, took on Malever, bumped up to the midfield to guard DeMaio, shifted over to Long...and on and on. It didn't happen by happenstance or on switches. It was clearly intentional. He might have been the best player on the entire field during the title game.

As for Zappitello and Makar, it doesn't make any sense to even call them 1A or 1B or whatever. They're both top cover guys who have really good athleticism. Makar is definitely more aggressive on- and off-ball, and Zappitello's footwork is elite. Shutting out Shellenberger speaks for itself. Because they're both so good, it allows Tillman and Bernhardt to mix and match assignments to throw opponents off.

But no one is going to put 2 defensemen from the same team on the first-team AA list, so ties goes to the elder!
Adler also defends in a way I've never seen a defender play before. Most defenders mark their man and try to prevent them from shooting, making a pass, or beating the defender. They also slide to help out teammates. In other words, they react to the attack. In contrast, Adler actively attacks the attackers. If you're an attackman, for example, you have to defend from Adler causing a turnover.

I think it's fair to say most player on offense aren't used to this style of defense.
It was a long time ago, but that was my philosophy as a LSM. I dictated the action. I tutored a kid that went on to start 4 years of college ball and I couldn’t emphasize that aspect of playing defense enough.
Just make sure to stay low and sit down while attacking the ball.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:23 pm

You have to outthink the offensive player. Mental focus separates most players.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

+1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:09 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:23 pm

You have to outthink the offensive player. Mental focus separates most players.
Yeah really thinking and moving simultaneously sounds obvious to non athletes but it’s not a common blend.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

I believe they call those guys takeaway defensemen? I know Cornell likes their guys but come on.... :roll:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:13 am I believe they call those guys takeaway defensemen? I know Cornell likes their guys but come on.... :roll:
You think Cornell fans are the problem? There’s a few other threads around here…
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:38 am
NNELax wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:13 am I believe they call those guys takeaway defensemen? I know Cornell likes their guys but come on.... :roll:
You think Cornell fans are the problem? There’s a few other threads around here…
O I agree about that....Hopkins thread is a cesspool of negativity...I just find it hilarious that people are saying they've never seen a defender like Adler before :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NNELax wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:49 am
O I agree about that....Hopkins thread is a cesspool of negativity...I just find it hilarious that people are saying they've never seen a defender like Adler before :lol:
Well of course that’s silly. The standard bearer for me remains Brodie Merrill but I can’t speak to these guys in the 70s and 80s.
NNELax

Post by NNELax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:54 am
Well of course that’s silly. The standard bearer for me remains Brodie Merrill but I can’t speak to these guys in the 70s and 80s.
He and Kyle Sweeney were fun to watch together...
Typical Lax Dad

Brian Karalunas
“I wish you would!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Ezra White

Post by Ezra White »

Why hilarious?

I never claimed he is the only one who ever played that way. Do you think I should be familiar with not only every defender playing today, but also everyone in lacrosse history who played that style? Not only this, but I should also remember some guy I played against or watched in a game 50 years ago?

These days I'm lucky to remember how to spell "lacrosse." :lol:
Laxfanatic2022

Post by Laxfanatic2022 »

It’s not hilarious and it’s truly accurate. I’ve watched all the guys you’ve mentioned play. There is nobody who was his size doing what he’s doing. Yes, style of play is similar to those who players you all mentioned. However, in over 30 years of covering the game I’ve never seen someone execute the way he plays that is his size, it’s remarkable. On a podcast I listened to last year someone said there is no comparison to anyone for his game because he is a complete outlier and I have to agree. I’m not even a fan of Cornell so it’s not a bias stance
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:16 am
Brian Karalunas
Petro was pretty good 8-)
Typical Lax Dad

10stone5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:55 am
Brian Karalunas
Petro was pretty good 8-)
Yep
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

And Petro was so good at what he did that he understood that most dmen would not be able to replicate his style and thus coached his men to play more conservatively.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ezra White wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:10 am
Why hilarious?

I never claimed he is the only one who ever played that way. Do you think I should be familiar with not only every defender playing today, but also everyone in lacrosse history who played that style? Not only this, but I should also remember some guy I played against or watched in a game 50 years ago?

These days I'm lucky to remember how to spell "lacrosse." :lol:
just use "lax", bro.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brian Karalunas
Great player i'll stick w Merrill though.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Durkin,
he was pretty good also,
fancy footwork.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”