***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Slim wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm IMO, The A Conference is going to be strong top-to-bottom in 2023. All teams will be more competitive overall than years past. Look for big improvements from MSJ and JC. Spalding me down compared to the past two years but they won't be a doormat like some folks predict. Severn, SP, Gilman stock is rising. Cream of crop still remains BL (IMG North due to 10+ full-time boarders), McDonogh (senior transplants help big time), CHC (the best $ can buy). St. Mary's is the pride of AACO again.

Prognostications after watching the NHSLS closely;
1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

*The interesting piece moving forward will be how the league addresses the boarding situation at BL (10+ overall and 5-6 senior transplants). I would even offer that McD has ramped up; boarding recruitment to keep up with the Lake Ave school. I would argue that BL is on a trajectory similar to St. Frances in football. If I were a Baltimore-area family with boys, I'd seriously question whether to send a son to school and expect to play there throughout their high school career. How does the coach and school address the fact that the senior transfers replace student-athletes in their "farm system"? I know I'd be asking that question...
Talking to many alums recently, they are concerned and feel it is unsustainable. How are they going to feel when one of their boys gets bumped or benched from transfer from Georgia, Florida, Ohio, or California (not to mention the next wave of Canadians)? Interesting plot twist...
Trying to make predications off of the NHSLS or any fall scrimmages is a waste of time. Many teams play new players, many teams are missing top players for football. Some teams play sophomores and uncommitted Juniors to get exposure to players who may not play much in the Spring. You typed Spaulding won't be a doormat then predict them to be last?

As far as getting players from across the country even BL is late to the game. Lawrenceville, the NE schools, and Culver are ahead on this trend. The MIAA does not even get the best players in Maryland. Before you dismiss this as outlandish, I would place the top IAC and WCAC teams ahead of the MIAA. The Nike and Under Armor events prove this to be accurate.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:27 am
Slim wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm IMO, The A Conference is going to be strong top-to-bottom in 2023. All teams will be more competitive overall than years past. Look for big improvements from MSJ and JC. Spalding me down compared to the past two years but they won't be a doormat like some folks predict. Severn, SP, Gilman stock is rising. Cream of crop still remains BL (IMG North due to 10+ full-time boarders), McDonogh (senior transplants help big time), CHC (the best $ can buy). St. Mary's is the pride of AACO again.

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

*The interesting piece moving forward will be how the league addresses the boarding situation at BL (10+ overall and 5-6 senior transplants). I would even offer that McD has ramped up; boarding recruitment to keep up with the Lake Ave school. I would argue that BL is on a trajectory similar to St. Frances in football. If I were a Baltimore-area family with boys, I'd seriously question whether to send a son to school and expect to play there throughout their high school career. How does the coach and school address the fact that the senior transfers replace student-athletes in their "farm system"? I know I'd be asking that question...
Talking to many alums recently, they are concerned and feel it is unsustainable. How are they going to feel when one of their boys gets bumped or benched from transfer from Georgia, Florida, Ohio, or California (not to mention the next wave of Canadians)? Interesting plot twist...
Trying to make predications off of the NHSLS or any fall scrimmages is a waste of time. Many teams play new players, many teams are missing top players for football. Some teams play sophomores and uncommitted Juniors to get exposure to players who may not play much in the Spring. You typed Spaulding won't be a doormat then predict them to be last?

As far as getting players from across the country even BL is late to the game. Lawrenceville, the NE schools, and Culver are ahead on this trend. The MIAA does not even get the best players in Maryland. Before you dismiss this as outlandish, I would place the top IAC and WCAC teams ahead of the MIAA. The Nike and Under Armor events prove this to be accurate.
There are a few top Baltimore area players that also have headed into PA.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

Lol UA and Nike events. Top talent does not always play these events and politics play a role in forming the teams.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Turnandrake wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 8:29 pm

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

Lol UA and Nike events. Top talent does not always play these events and politics play a role in forming the teams.
I got a chuckle out of that one too.

More perplexing is the rationale that "BL is late to the game"...why?
Because boarding schools that take PG's attract players from around the country...so, what BL now wants to be Salisbury?
Ok, leave the MIAA.
Same for McDonogh if they truly want to be Lawrenceville, the alma mater of their dominant funder.

I have no argument with schools charting their particular course.
My objection is pretending they are within the bounds of the spirit of this league.
That was my issue with St. Frances.

As to placing the top teams from other leagues (without PG's) ahead of MIAA teams...sure, in any given year, the top team from another league would or could or did beat the top team out of the MIAA...but the reverse is also true. Do any other leagues have as many top teams playing each other and without playing other teams in the league where 20-1 is not unexpected? Maybe...and good for them if they do.

Not sure what the relevance would be.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:02 am

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

Because boarding schools that take PG's attract players from around the country...so, what BL now wants to be Salisbury?
Ok, leave the MIAA.
Same for McDonogh if they truly want to be Lawrenceville, the alma mater of their dominant funder.

My objection is pretending they are within the bounds of the spirit of this league.

As to placing the top teams from other leagues (without PG's) ahead of MIAA teams...sure, in any given year, the top team from another league would or could or did beat the top team out of the MIAA...but the reverse is also true. Do any other leagues have as many top teams playing each other and without playing other teams in the league where 20-1 is not unexpected? Maybe...and good for them if they do.

I am glad I could get a chuckle. I will say that the top talent in Maryland was on the DMV All Star teams and I would also put the top DMV area teams last season as a notch above the top MIAA teams. The difference is the DMV teams are split into IAC and WCAC.

I do not think we will know if this season things have changed until games are played. the level of talent at the Nike games was greater than what teams represented this fall at NHSLS. Neither translate to Spring. MIAA does not need PG's when the top players at McDonough are older than most PG's anyway. The IAC and WCAC schools also do not have PG's granted the bottom of the WCAC is weak but IAC combined with top WCAC is equally competitive to the MIAA in recent seasons.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

To add to this discussion and put it into some visual perspective:

The following are the Laxnumbers ratings for the MIAA, WCAC and IAC combined. This is the same formula that powered Laxpower. It focuses on w/l record and score differential. I have some minor quibbles based upon a couple h2h discrepancies. But overall, it's pretty close to reality.

Despite those minor h2h discrepancies, it is consistent and formulary. And shows pretty clearly what a few on here are pointing out- The MIAA is a much more competitive of a league, from top to bottom. Impressive as the MIAA has more teams than both of the other leagues being mentioned.

1.) St Johns College HS 19-0-0 99.94 (WCAC #1)
2.) Boys Latin 13-4-0 97.35 (MIAA #1)
3.) Calvert Hall 15-5-0 96.72 (MIAA #2)
4.) McDonogh 13-6-0 96.49 (MIAA #3)
5.) St Marys Annapolis 17-3-0 96.49 (MIAA #4)
6.) Archbishop Spalding 12-6-0 95.31 (MIAA #5)
7.) Georgetown Prep 14-6-0 94.51 (IAC #1)
9.) St Pauls 11-6-0 94.02 (MIAA #6)
9.) Bullis 14-5-0 93.94 (IAC#2)
10.) Gonzaga 14-6-0 92.78 (WCAC #2)
11.) Loyola-Blakefield 6-9-0 92.57 (MIAA #7)
12.) St Stephen-St Agnes 18-5-0 92.30 (IAC #3)
13.) Paul VI 16-6-0 92.16 (WCAC #3)
14.) Severn School 10-8-0 92.08 (MIAA #8)
15.) Landon 11-7-0 91.39 (IAC #4)
16.) Gilman 6-11-0 90.16 (MIAA #9)
17.) St Albans 13-9-0 89.77 (IAC #5)
18.) Mount St Joseph 7-10-0 89.33 (MIAA #10)
19.) DeMatha 11-8-0 89.27 (WCAC #4)
20.) John Carroll 6-10-0 88.31 (MIAA #11)
21.) Episcopal 9-11-0 86.39 (IAC #6)
22.) Heights 9-6-0 86.05 (WCAC #5)
23.) Good Counsel 7-8-0 84.59 (WCAC #6)
24.) St Marys Ryken 6-13-0 74.92 (WCAC #7)
25.) Bishop OConnell 4-13-0 73.08 (WCAC #8)
26.) Bishop Ireton 2-13-0 72.86 (WCAC #9)
27.) Bishop McNamara 2-9-0 63.33 (WCAC #10)
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 1:24 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:02 am

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

Ok, leave the MIAA.

I am glad I could get a chuckle. I will say that the top talent in Maryland was on the DMV All Star teams and I would also put the top DMV area teams last season as a notch above the top MIAA teams. The difference is the DMV teams are split into IAC and WCAC.

I do not think we will know if this season things have changed until games are played. the level of talent at the Nike games was greater than what teams represented this fall at NHSLS. Neither translate to Spring. MIAA does not need PG's when the top players at McDonough are older than most PG's anyway. The IAC and WCAC schools also do not have PG's granted the bottom of the WCAC is weak but IAC combined with top WCAC is equally competitive to the MIAA in recent seasons.
As I said, in any given year top team from another league can beat top MIAA teams. And vice versa.

You will never read me saying that MIAA has a monopoly on talent!

I'm skeptical, though, about your assertion of ages at McD versus PG's...I'd want solid proof before buying that one.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:23 pm To add to this discussion and put it into some visual perspective:

The following are the Laxnumbers ratings for the MIAA, WCAC and IAC combined. This is the same formula that powered Laxpower. It focuses on w/l record and score differential. I have some minor quibbles based upon a couple h2h discrepancies. But overall, it's pretty close to reality.

Despite those minor h2h discrepancies, it is consistent and formulary. And shows pretty clearly what a few on here are pointing out- The MIAA is a much more competitive of a league, from top to bottom. Impressive as the MIAA has more teams than both of the other leagues being mentioned.

St Marys beat Calvert Hall twice last but CH is ranked ahead of them???????
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Turnandrake wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:08 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:23 pm To add to this discussion and put it into some visual perspective:

I believe he called those h2h "discrepancies".
I can't speak for Kram, but I'd have had St.M ahead of CHC for the reason you suggest.
The formula looks at some other factors and weights them as well, particularly score differentials.
On W-L, St.M would also be ahead of CHC last year.

St. Johns certainly was the dominant force regionally and nationally last year.

Gonzaga could argue with its ranking, given a tremendous March, but not as terrific in April pulled them down.

Fun to have so many great teams regionally.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Speaking of transfers. I hear that several (5 ish) have transferred out of Spalding, back to the Broadneck. I hear one or two of them are pretty good.
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

Turnandrake wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:08 pm

These rankings, albeit, all based on algorithms, have zero subjective elements, nor do they take into account how a team is performing down the final stretch of the season when it matters most. I think we can all agree, how your team performs in late April and May is more indicative of a team's overall strength than how it fairs in mid-March.

Loyola Blakefield was BAD last year, perhaps maybe one of the worst seasons they have had in well over a decade (maybe Mark Dixon will tell you a different story) and Gilman was not much better.

While they got the #1 team in the land right last year, the St John's Cadets from the WCAC, McDonogh should be ranked #2, and Saint Mary's #3, Boys Latin #4. Bullis (IAC champion) went on a 10-game winning streak to finish the 2022 campaign before falling in the Geico Nationals to eventual champion (Taft or Salisbury I believe). Bullis also beat Georgetown Prep last year twice, and in the first content, they smoked them.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Even if they don't make the playoffs, I think John Carroll will be even better than last year.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Schedules starting to drop.

Boys Latin:

FEB 28 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Georgetown Prep Away Scrimmage

MAR 3 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Landon School Home Scrimmage

MAR 7 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. St John's High School Away

MAR 11 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. St Thomas Aquinas FL Away

MAR 14 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. St Andrews Away

MAR 19 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Lawerencville Home

MAR 22 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Culver Academy Home

MAR 26 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. The Hill School Home

MAR 31 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. John Carroll High School Home

APR 4 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. McDonogh Away

APR 11 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Gilman School Away

APR 18 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Severn School Away

APR 22 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Archbishop Spalding Home

APR 25 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Loyola Blakefield Home

APR 28 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Calvert Hall Away

MAY 2 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. St Mary's Home

MAY 5 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. Mt St Joseph High School Away

MAY 9 2023 4:00 PM
LACROSSE VARSITY vs. St Paul's School Home
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Mount St Joseph:

03/02 St Marys Ryken (0-0) DC WCAC
03/08 @ The Heights (0-0) DC WCAC
03/13 @ Sts Peter & Paul (0-0) MD B MIAA
03/17 @ St Andrews Episcopal (0-0) DC MAC
03/18 Westtown (0-0) PA FSL
03/21 @ Archbishop Curley (0-0) MD B MIAA
03/24 St James (0-0) DC MAC
03/25 Annapolis (0-0) MD 4A East-2
03/28 Catonsville (0-0) MD 4A North-1
03/31 @ Loyola Blakefield (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/04 Severn (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/11 Calvert Hall (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/14 @ St Mary's Annapolis (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/18 St Paul's (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/25 @ McDonogh (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/28 John Carroll (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/02 @ Gilman (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/05 Boys' Latin (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/09 @ Archbishop Spalding (0-0) MD A MIAA
Slim

Post by Slim »

Less than a month out from the start of season. Hearing BL, Loyola, St. Mary's, Spalding, and McDonogh all getting practice time in a few days a week so far. Anyone else hearing any news? Big transfers, from in town or out of town? Additions or subtractions to coaching staffs?

Excited for the competition to begin!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Slim wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:46 am Less than a month out from the start of season. Hearing BL, Loyola, St. Mary's, Spalding, and McDonogh all getting practice time in a few days a week so far. Anyone else hearing any news? Big transfers, from in town or out of town? Additions or subtractions to coaching staffs?

Excited for the competition to begin!
less than a month?
Slim

Post by Slim »

Practice begins in mid-February right? Although as mentioned several programs start early.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Calvert Hall High:

TUESDAY, 2/28/2023 GONZAGA COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL
4:30 PM - 6:30 PM HOME

THURSDAY, 3/2/2023 HAVERFORD
4:30 PM - 6:30 PM AWAY

WEDNESDAY, 3/8/2023 WESTTOWN, PA
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM HOME

FRIDAY, 3/10/2023 King of Spring
AWAY

SATURDAY, 3/11/2023 King of Spring
AWAY

MONDAY, 3/13/2023 HILL ACADEMY - CANADA

FRIDAY, 3/17/2023 LAWRENCEVILLE PREP
5:30 PM - 7:30 PM AWAY

THURSDAY, 3/23/2023 MALVERN PREPARATORY SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM HOME

FRIDAY, 3/31/2023 ST. MARY'S HIGH SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM AWAY

TUESDAY, 4/4/2023 VICTOR (NY)

TUESDAY, 4/11/2023 MT. ST. JOSEPH HIGH SCHOOL
4:00 PM - 6:00 PM AWAY

FRIDAY, 4/14/2023 ST. PAUL'S SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM HOME

TUESDAY, 4/18/2023 JOHN CARROLL SCHOOL

FRIDAY, 4/21/2023 MCDONOGH SCHOOL
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM AWAY

TUESDAY, 4/25/2023 GILMAN SCHOOL

FRIDAY, 4/28/2023 BOYS' LATIN SCHOOL

TUESDAY, 5/2/2023 ARCHBISHOP SPALDING HIGH SCHOOL

FRIDAY, 5/5/2023 SEVERN SCHOOL

TUESDAY, 5/9/2023 LOYOLA BLAKEFIELD
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

St Mary's Annapolis

03/03 @ St Anne's-Belfield (0-0) VA 1 VIP
03/07 Georgetown Prep (0-0) DC IAC
03/10 @ Paul VI (0-0) DC WCAC
03/14 Our Lady of Good Counsel (0-0) DC WCAC
03/17 La Salle College High (0-0) PA Cathlc
03/24 Battlefield (0-0) VA 6A Cedar
03/31 Calvert Hall (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/04 @ Loyola Blakefield (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/05 Victor (0-0) NY B Sec 5
04/11 Salesianum (0-0) DE Cathlc
04/14 Mount St. Joseph (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/18 McDonogh (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/22 @ St Paul's (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/25 John Carroll (0-0) MD A MIAA
04/28 @ Gilman (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/02 @ Boys' Latin (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/04 Archbishop Spalding (0-0) MD A MIAA
05/09 @ Severn (0-0) MD A MIAA
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Disappointing that the public/private showcase has ended after all these years.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”