Predictions For The Most Improved DI Teams In 2023?

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Predictions For The Most Improved DI Teams In 2023?

Post by gymman1031 »

nm
faircornell

Re: Predictions For The Most Improved DI Teams In 2023?

Post by faircornell »

Syracuse.... Between recruits and transfers, they seem to have a lot of room to improve.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Not a popular pick, but Duke. They underachieved last year but I expect a big year from Danowski and Co. They’ll need to replace Mike Adler in goal but everyone else is back.

They will contend for the Championship. Team is loaded.
maddog29

Post by maddog29 »

The Orange had NINE players in the Under Armor game. Provided the get a solid goalie and a FOGO - watch out. this team could be really good.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

No prediction, but very interested to see Benson at PC.
How much of his offensive philosophy will translate to a roster not as talented as Maryland's? How much will he (have to?) adjust?

Friar sched still not posted, but I know the early season icebowl game vs BU is gone. That would have been interesting.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:18 pm They’ll need to replace Mike Adler in goal but everyone else is back.
They lose Montgomery, Robertson, and Lulley too.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

VMI

You heard it here first. Ok, you may not hear it anywhere else but for the first time in maybe decades it appears the Keydets have a set and experienced starting line up and FOGO. How they perform in a new conference (MAAC) remains to be seen. Injuries are always an issue.

That all said, this team is, for VMI, a good mix of talent, experience with good new faces in key roles.

RAH VA MIL
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

maddog29 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:51 pm The Orange had NINE players in the Under Armor game. Provided the get a solid goalie and a FOGO - watch out. this team could be really good.
Agree that they should be better but the question is how much better will they be this year? It is hard to count on a bunch of Freshman to take a team to the top of their own league or make a deep tourney run the 1st year. They also lost some great players like Dordevic who might have been someone to help bring the youngsters along. There is no doubt that they recruited real well and have a base for the future.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

blue angels wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:44 am
maddog29 wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 10:51 pm The Orange had NINE players in the Under Armor game. Provided the get a solid goalie and a FOGO - watch out. this team could be really good.
Agree that they should be better but the question is how much better will they be this year? It is hard to count on a bunch of Freshman to take a team to the top of their own league or make a deep tourney run the 1st year. They also lost some great players like Dordevic who might have been someone to help bring the youngsters along. There is no doubt that they recruited real well and have a base for the future.
curry gone, too. and if they don't catch a fogo in the portal in the next 2 weeks, they could get absolutely smoked at the x.

and the close d will be 2/3 guys who haven't really seen the field (i think). and their top d recruit might be donezo for the spring w/ injury.

they'll probably surprise with a few nice wins.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:09 am and their top d recruit might be donezo for the spring w/ injury.
Are you referring to a freshman here?
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:09 am and their top d recruit might be donezo for the spring w/ injury.
last i heard figueras was out.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:29 am
youthathletics wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 am
last i heard figueras was out.
correct Image
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HGK

Post by HGK »

I think BiG EAST has 3 teams that could surprise - SJU, Providence and Marquette. Of the 3 Marquette has the most upside this year in terms of making noise in the conference but Friars and Johnnies have added excellent young coaching talent that can make a huge difference over the next few years
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Lafayette finished 4-11 last year. I say that that they finish the regular season(before the Patriot League Tournament) 7-8 or better and maybe get a berth in the conference tournament. Coach Pat Myers' team showed promise last year, and he continues to recruit quite well.
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

They should be better in goal this season. Will Mark from LIU is the presumed starter and they have a five star freshman in Jimmy McCool as well. I do have big concerns regarding the faceoff unit. They brought in a transfer from Cansius who won over 50% last year but he didn’t fare well against upper echelon teams. I worry they will be trading one problem area from last year for another this year (goalie to fogo) and it will be a wash.

Even with Curry and Dordevic gone I think the offense will be better. Not their fault as they had little to no help last year. The top nine from last year to this will most likely be completely different.

Hopefully this year they show some steady improvement (especially on defense) and get to a .500 record. I think the following year they could be really special.

I like Penn State as a turnaround team. They had some significant injuries last year including TJ Malone and get some of those players back this year. Plus they had a very young offense last year and you’d have to expect those players to improve (Will Peden comes to mind as the teams leading scorer). They were really bad at faceoffs and should be better this year with transfers. Big Ten seems wide open after Maryland.

If you are going to include Duke I guess Notre Dame needs to be included. They really turned things around after their freshman fogo figured things out. If they continue the momentum from the end of last year they should be a final four team.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Maryland. Wierman first ever 100% fogo.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:28 am No prediction, but very interested to see Benson at PC.
How much of his offensive philosophy will translate to a roster not as talented as Maryland's? How much will he (have to?) adjust?

Friar sched still not posted, but I know the early season icebowl game vs BU is gone. That would have been interesting.
Can add for Prov fans that they play Hobart in Maryland 3/18

Providence College Logo
Mar 18 (Sat) 3 PM WEOS-FM
Providence College
Sparks, MD
Listen History
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:12 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 7:28 am No prediction, but very interested to see Benson at PC.

Can add for Prov fans that they play Hobart in Maryland 3/18

Providence College Logo
Mar 18 (Sat) 3 PM WEOS-FM
Providence College
Sparks, MD
Listen History
Incredibly difficult to predict in 2023.....Maryland, UVA, Cornell, Georgetown, Duke, Notre Dame, Princeton, Ohio State, Delaware and several others.
Impossible to predict....Providence
Best of luck to Coach Benson, he was a huge part of Maryland's 30+ and 1 run since 2021, but historical facts of highly successful assistants (Michigan, Georgetown, Holy Cross) indicate that it will take several years for the Friars to build a program. It's not a perfect sample size, but evidence suggests that Tillman's system and super-talented rosters do more to elevate the assistants rather than the other way around.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:50 pm Lafayette finished 4-11 last year. I say that that they finish the regular season(before the Patriot League Tournament) 7-8 or better and maybe get a berth in the conference tournament. Coach Pat Myers' team showed promise last year, and he continues to recruit quite well.
i'm a homer, but agreed, so long as they figure out the goalie situation.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 3:30 pm
They should be better in goal this season. Will Mark from LIU is the presumed starter and they have a five star freshman in Jimmy McCool as well. I do have big concerns regarding the faceoff unit. They brought in a transfer from Cansius who won over 50% last year but he didn’t fare well against upper echelon teams. I worry they will be trading one problem area from last year for another this year (goalie to fogo) and it will be a wash.

Even with Curry and Dordevic gone I think the offense will be better. Not their fault as they had little to no help last year. The top nine from last year to this will most likely be completely different.

Hopefully this year they show some steady improvement (especially on defense) and get to a .500 record. I think the following year they could be really special.

I like Penn State as a turnaround team. They had some significant injuries last year including TJ Malone and get some of those players back this year. Plus they had a very young offense last year and you’d have to expect those players to improve (Will Peden comes to mind as the teams leading scorer). They were really bad at faceoffs and should be better this year with transfers. Big Ten seems wide open after Maryland.

If you are going to include Duke I guess Notre Dame needs to be included. They really turned things around after their freshman fogo figured things out. If they continue the momentum from the end of last year they should be a final four team.
Agreed that face/off is a question mark - does anyone know how the Canisius guy has performed in fall? Seems like there are some talented athletes returning on the wings (and in particular, LSM Olexo), so I don't think the situation is as bad as some are suggesting.

And the LIU transfer, Will Mark, may be the best goalie in the country this year. He was one of the best last year, and I don't see that changing.

I'm looking forward to the Vermont game. Cuse is a 1.5 point favorite. I think that ignores the impact Will Mark is going to have.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”