Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sagittarius A*

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:33 am quint and PM
the last 6 minutes about his relationship w/the administration probably the most interesting and going to make a few of the insiders who post on here nuts.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... d479647724
No passion whatsoever.
I don't think he ever realized what he was getting himself into.
Daniels found himself a lackey who wouldn't rock the boat.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 5:08 pm
the last 6 minutes about his relationship w/the administration probably the most interesting and going to make a few of the insiders who post on here nuts.
No passion whatsoever.
we're gonna have some people over to celebrate new years. you up?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:19 pm
No passion whatsoever.
:lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
molo

Post by molo »

Still can’t believe Hopkins has a business school with that name.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 7:19 pm
No passion whatsoever.
Could be. Who you got coming so far?
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

44WeWantMore wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 3:50 pm Back when the Jays sustained greatness, they shared space with the other varsity teams.

Now get off my lawn.
Maybe if they did that now, some of the greatness of the other varsity teams would rub off on varsity lacrosse! (I kid, I kid, but I just couldn't resist. The ball was just sitting there on the tee. I had to hit it.)
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

That podcast contained more information about the state of the team, personalities, etc. than I've heard in years. Happy PM did it and happy Quint had him on. Well done both, genuinely, from a fan of the program, thank you very much for doing that interview and being reasonably candid. Wonder whose idea this way and whether PM had to be encouraged to do it? Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but really seems like PM's natural inclination is to be somewhat secretive. You could tell in the way he answered certain questions that he didn't really want to, but tried anyway. I also got the sense that he doesn't feel entirely one with the university and the program and its history. PM talked a lot about "here", as if it were a place that were somehow separate from him. I understand why he might still feel like something of an outsider, but if this is going to work, that feeling needs to go away pretty soon.
Typical Lax Dad

nyjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:44 pm That podcast contained more information about the state of the team, personalities, etc. than I've heard in years. Happy PM did it and happy Quint had him on. Well done both, genuinely, from a fan of the program, thank you very much for doing that interview and being reasonably candid. Wonder whose idea this way and whether PM had to be encouraged to do it? Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but really seems like PM's natural inclination is to be somewhat secretive. You could tell in the way he answered certain questions that he didn't really want to, but tried anyway. I also got the sense that he doesn't feel entirely one with the university and the program and its history. PM talked a lot about "here", as if it were a place that were somehow separate from him. I understand why he might still feel like something of an outsider, but if this is going to work, that feeling needs to go away pretty soon.
Alums could help with that.
“I wish you would!”
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:02 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 8:44 pm That podcast contained more information about the state of the team, personalities, etc. than I've heard in years. Happy PM did it and happy Quint had him on. Well done both, genuinely, from a fan of the program, thank you very much for doing that interview and being reasonably candid. Wonder whose idea this way and whether PM had to be encouraged to do it? Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but really seems like PM's natural inclination is to be somewhat secretive. You could tell in the way he answered certain questions that he didn't really want to, but tried anyway. I also got the sense that he doesn't feel entirely one with the university and the program and its history. PM talked a lot about "here", as if it were a place that were somehow separate from him. I understand why he might still feel like something of an outsider, but if this is going to work, that feeling needs to go away pretty soon.
And hopefully they will.
Typical Lax Dad

nyjay wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:17 pm
And hopefully they will.
It makes a difference. B!tching and moaning turns good players away. Programs need everyone to be on board.
“I wish you would!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

My interpretation
-When quint asks honest questions and focuses on the lacrosse he does the sport, the kids and himself the most good as he does here.
-I don't know about secretive, there are a lot of guys with injuries and not a lot of all conference or all americans with jobs locked up. Last year on offense especially they were moving guys off positions and lines week to week and quarter to quarter sometimes.
-The petro version of this would've been gauzy on tradition and 2005-this was right to here and now which was the point of the change.
-The goalie part was the most concerning directly followed by the administrative support followed by the fact we're hearing about guys in bauer chauvette hawley who haven't shown anything.
-PM could've easily said we're trying new things w/the schedule, bending over to accommodate the acc stuff is a real positive.
-Petro took a lot of heat here for being a coaching and personal hardo. PM said he's basically giving the kids the first week of intersession off from lacrosse stuff.
-That last part about administrative support seemed to confirm what a lot of you have banged Daniels here for awhile about and the last regime complained about publicly after it left. Quint really dug in on him and whether he's getting what he needed from Daniels and PM repeatedly did nothing to dismiss Quint's concerns and only seemed to validate what a number of you continue to hint at. It really sounds like the administration is holding athletics to some tough standards even mens lacrosse which deserves special status for what it brings the school. I hope quint follows up on that. The comments about the success of the d3 fall teams and the womens volleyball team having all those engineers probably is part of the administration saying "Look it's possible to win with tough academics in admissions"-except I don't think ohio state midfielders face the same admissions requirements that whatever Williams and WashU water polo ppl face.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:23 pm
And hopefully they will.
It makes a difference. B!tching and moaning turns good players away. Programs need everyone to be on board.
The few who are still b!tching and moaning — and it really only is a few — know this. They don't want the team to succeed. It's pathetic. Luckily they're in the minority.

All of PM's assistants are now alums, he's getting Piggy at practice and having Del Dressel address the team at dinner. Listening to the podcast he very clearly gets what makes Hopkins unique. They talk about it at length.

I'm way more interested in what PM said about personnel than any of this. Quint asked about Collison and Marquis but it's interesting that PM offered up English unsolicited as having been "very good" in the fall. Wonder if he might get the most time of the three, at least initially. What a great lax family. Reading the tea leaves it sounds like Collison and Marquis will be in the mix but probably not starting right away.
Typical Lax Dad

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:36 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:23 pm
And hopefully they will.
The few who are still b!tching and moaning — and it really only is a few — know this. They don't want the team to succeed. It's pathetic. Luckily they're in the minority.

All of PM's assistants are now alums, he's getting Piggy at practice and having Del Dressel address the team at dinner. Listening to the podcast he very clearly gets what makes Hopkins unique. They talk about it at length.

I'm way more interested in what PM said about personnel than any of this. Quint asked about Collison and Marquis but it's interesting that PM offered up English unsolicited as having been "very good" in the fall. Wonder if he might get the most time of the three, at least initially. What a great lax family. Reading the tea leaves it sounds like Collison and Marquis will be in the mix but probably not starting right away.
The kids I know that are going there are excited about Crawley. I think it is a good move to have that Blue Jay connection. I am hoping the team turns. It’s already underway. Good luck next season.
“I wish you would!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 pm My interpretation
-When quint asks honest questions and focuses on the lacrosse he does the sport, the kids and himself the most good as he does here.
-I don't know about secretive, there are a lot of guys with injuries and not a lot of all conference or all americans with jobs locked up. Last year on offense especially they were moving guys off positions and lines week to week and quarter to quarter sometimes.
-The petro version of this would've been gauzy on tradition and 2005-this was right to here and now which was the point of the change.
-The goalie part was the most concerning directly followed by the administrative support followed by the fact we're hearing about guys in bauer chauvette hawley who haven't shown anything.
-PM could've easily said we're trying new things w/the schedule, bending over to accommodate the acc stuff is a real positive.
-Petro took a lot of heat here for being a coaching and personal hardo. PM said he's basically giving the kids the first week of intersession off from lacrosse stuff.
-That last part about administrative support seemed to confirm what a lot of you have banged Daniels here for awhile about and the last regime complained about publicly after it left. Quint really dug in on him and whether he's getting what he needed from Daniels and PM repeatedly did nothing to dismiss Quint's concerns and only seemed to validate what a number of you continue to hint at. It really sounds like the administration is holding athletics to some tough standards even mens lacrosse which deserves special status for what it brings the school. I hope quint follows up on that. The comments about the success of the d3 fall teams and the womens volleyball team having all those engineers probably is part of the administration saying "Look it's possible to win with tough academics in admissions"-except I don't think ohio state midfielders face the same admissions requirements that whatever Williams and WashU water polo ppl face.
I really must not have listened to the same podcast - can you post the link of the one you have? Here's exactly what Milliman said in regards to the administration:
"always difficulties in managing this or that"
"couldn't feel like there's more support behind us" (yes he does this reverse negative thing sometimes but we all know he means "feel like we have all the support behind us")
"don't make a stir about every little thing if we don't get what we want"
Wow - is he a lackey or what? Jeff Dunham has nothing on Ron Daniels. The first quote means nothing and is classic coach speak - the third could mean something as benign as Milliman wants seat cushions for the season ticket holders - like Petro did a few years ago - and the admin said - can't afford it. Or maybe LOL Milliman wants a bubble. It doesn't necessarily mean academic standards are so tight he can't get the players he wants. Milliman did coach for an Ivy - an Ivy that supposedly rejected a 4 year player for Hopkins - Radzewicz. Once again, some are living in the past and think this is still the annual Johns Hopkins draft and we take not ask, plead, cajole for the better players. If we don't get Jimmy 5 Star maybe its as simple as he now has relatively a thousand more options than he would have 40 years ago.
I think it's a positive that he brought up two realities - one it's tough at Hopkins - it's what makes the place special - it helps prepare you for life's challenges. That can speak to certain kids that you might want on your team. Second, when I went to Hopkins the lacrosse players were regular dudes - sure they hung out alot together, they were mostly members of FIJI but they did alot of the same things mere mortals did around Hopkins. I know several recent graduates who would tell you that they felt the lacrosse players went to a completely different school. Trying to engage more is a very good thing.

I often agree with ny's posts but I did not take away the sense that Milliman still feels he is a separate entity from the school and the program - his use of the word "here" was to reinforce what everybody on this board is saying - Hopkins is different and special. Seemed much more to me he was trying to say he is on board.

In summary - I think it was a good piece and the most significant things were the comments about the individual players but we have to remember - he's under no obligation to tell the listener the absolute truth. For example, he's not going to say something bad about any player - maybe freshman player X is really having a tough time - he's not going to tell you that. He's going to give you the standard bs lines about adjusting to the speed of the game but he's almost there. Maybe he absolutely knows who the goalie is going to be but he is not going to say one month before the season starts. He's going to say how competitive it was.

I was slightly surprised at QK's take - he had a definitive reaction when DP was let go - but he had nothing but flowers for Milliman in that podcast. He's certainly learning his craft as a sports personality.

IMO - the only thing you could take issue with potentially was if you are more old school and feel like if you have practice time available and you are not using it for the sport then you are missing an opportunity. That's a defensible position but so too is the take that it's a long grind from January to May and using some teambuilding etc. is good for the overall team outlook.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:32 pm My interpretation

The guy is setting himself up for his next job.
His Cornell teams did well while he was there and after he left.
He just didn't get the support he needed or was promised here.
Knowing Daniels and his priorities, I think that should be an easy sell for PM to work out his next coaching position.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

SO which is it? Is Milliman a lackey for Baker and Daniels - which you have said multiple times - thereby willing to do their bidding which says he is very comfortable in his role and will stay as long as he possibly can or is he someone who was fooled by the administration - doesn't get the support he thought and is now angling to get out of town? It can't be both. Or is door number 3 - which you have also put forth - the administration is unhappy with Milliman and has hired Crawley ostensibly to replace him?
Sybil?
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

It was an interview. The HC is not going to criticize the President of his university. Not going to happen unless he is looking for a new job. Hopkins is unlike any place PM coached previously. I take his comments within that context. I am pretty sure he is getting the same support from the president here as he did at Cornell and previous stops. Which i think sums it up. He says he will not get everything he wants.

I liked his candor about the academic workload. It is a reputation Hopkins has and it has influenced decisions. I have mentioned it for years but never seen it in an interview. .

I thought his comments on Crowley and the O were very encouraging.

Obsequiousness and lack of candor is not productive. The blind leading the blind. I have yet to meet a player who made his decisions based on some comment made on laxpower or fanlax. I have met many who made a decision based on a one off event eg meeting a legendary head coach in another sport, or a prominent alum etc.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

OCanada wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:36 am It was an interview. The HC is not going to criticize the President of his university. Not going to happen unless he is looking for a new job. Hopkins is unlike any place PM coached previously.
Yes - this - boil it down to its most base element it is a puff piece
OCanada wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 11:36 am Obsequiousness and lack of candor is not productive. The blind leading the blind. I have yet to meet a player who made his decisions based on some comment made on laxpower or fanlax. I have met many who made a decision based on a one off event eg meeting a legendary head coach in another sport, or a prominent alum etc.
Honest not inflammatory question - what does the first two sentences of this paragraph have to do with the last two? I agree with the last two at least I hope its true no one ever made a decision based on any forum - otherwise with a certain someone around we'd be searching the Quidditch team for lacrosse players because no one would come and if you are saying someone chose Carolina due to Dean or Duke for Coach K I am sure it has happened. We are talking about 17-18 year old kids (as well as parents with egos).
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:13 amsomething as benign as Milliman wants seat cushions for the season ticket holders - like Petro did a few years ago - and the admin said - can't afford it.
So wait would this have been like just those portable things or the idea would be to "improve" the reserve section(s) again? Cause if Petro was to blame for those weird booster seat things that were there the one year the admins waited far too long to not renew the contract. His judgement was clearly impaired well before hand. :P
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

If you want a sign of sanity, early recruiting I don't think was a factor on that pod talking about this years team. I'm not sure we have any 8th grade recruits left.

Quint does a ton of college football and I'm sure it was a long 4-5 months of travel and prep and heck knows what else but this could have done another half hour or so.
-SSDMs-something quint has talked about almost every quarter since O'Malley was Governor and maybe even Mayor.
-groundballs, and getting more athletic across the field. Another thing he and we have harped on forever.
-he sort of got into the goaltending. Verbsfeld and marcille really haven't shown anything and that wasn't a particuarly encouraging set of comments about webb.
-there was a good back and forth about quint asking PM when this becomes his team and PM firing back at him

the Haus and Seaman transitions were before I got to campus so I don't really remember what those were like other than the upper classmen having unpleasant things to say about those eras.

-all the events they do at homewood, seats probably pay for themselves. Add them as a benefit to the pll/under armour game/whatever else they do there. If they still did graduation at homewood that would've helped too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”