Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:44 am I really can't believe warming up the goalies is back - I only have myself to blame. But let's make one final point about this insanity - the original post was that Hopkins was missing the greatest opportunity in the world by not sending out a mid 40 year old man with bad knees to warm up the goalie because he was a phenomenal player and the offensive coordinator is the only person in the room that can do this one task that obviously determines the outcome of the game. When presented with facts that contradicted this - i.e. Chic warmed up goalies - Cowan - according to his bio - was not on the staff when Quinn was playing - crickets. So now apparently, Hopkins lax should send out a tweet or e-mail telling us whether Crawley warms up the goalies or not and we can all bother not to watch if he doesn't. Season's over. If precision in game preparation is really an issue in the Cordish Center - I doubt a single person here is close enough to identify it.
On the last sentence, that's quite likely true.

Just to be clear, nothing that I wrote was pertaining to the current Hopkins program.

So, if you're seeing "insanity", you may just be squinting too hard?

I'm not sure what the middle part of that paragraph was about at all.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MD - by "insanity" I was not referring to your last or any post of yours. This all started back in the summer of '21 I believe when a certain poster went on a rant that a big problem with the Hopkins program was that John Grant Junior was not warming up the goalies - the premise being apparently that if a goalie could face JGJR in warm-ups - a college players shot would be a piece of cake. I believe he then went on to offer that basically only an offensive coordinator should warm-up goalies - offering up Cowan and Benson as examples. I was simply recalling that Chic warmed up goalies when he was the head coach - I saw it - and that Cowan - according to his Hopkins bio - left the staff when Chic left so he was apparently not warming up Quinn in 84 and 85. No one ever said game preparation - including goalie warm-ups - is not important - it's ALL important. Doesn't do any good to have the most supple and warmed up goalie in the world if your first midfield line all pulled hammies because they were playing COD in the locker room. I haven't opened up my copy of technique and tradition in a long time - I am sure Mr. Scott spent a great deal of time on such things - that was his way. But as you point out - things are so different than the 60's/70's/80's when Hopkins was one of the very few rulers of the roost. Call me crazy - but UCLA's basketball "decline" didn't happen because Wooden wasn't around to teach each player how to tie his sneakers (which he did). It happened because when he left - they didn't get Hazard/Goodrich/Kareem/Walton/Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe/David Myers/Richard Washington etc. etc. with the metronic regularity anymore and with the explosion of the Final Four everybody started paying attention.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:01 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:44 am I really can't believe warming up the goalies is back - I only have myself to blame. But let's make one final point about this insanity - the original post was that Hopkins was missing the greatest opportunity in the world by not sending out a mid 40 year old man with bad knees to warm up the goalie because he was a phenomenal player and the offensive coordinator is the only person in the room that can do this one task that obviously determines the outcome of the game. When presented with facts that contradicted this - i.e. Chic warmed up goalies - Cowan - according to his bio - was not on the staff when Quinn was playing - crickets. So now apparently, Hopkins lax should send out a tweet or e-mail telling us whether Crawley warms up the goalies or not and we can all bother not to watch if he doesn't. Season's over. If precision in game preparation is really an issue in the Cordish Center - I doubt a single person here is close enough to identify it.

Just to be clear, nothing that I wrote was pertaining to the current Hopkins program.

I'm afraid it's more of a self-referential statement than about anything we've been discussing on here.
I highly recommend the FOE function to deal with the trolls. Responding to trolling only invites more trolling.
Just click on the persons screen name and a menu pops up. You can click on FRIEND or FOE.
CLICK FOE and the individual's posts will no longer appear. You can see that they posted, but it won't show the post in your thread.
For all those who with to block me this way, please please do so!
Thank you!
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Narratives that will never die on this forum
Fan Related
-Quint talking about another program all broadcast long
-Only alumni of the program, their WAGS, families and friends are entitled to follow the program because they understand "what's really going on and played the game"
-Lack of attendance
-Redacted superfan screamed at last weeks game and got more tv time than parents/ex players/students
-We're too mean
-Our expectations are too high
Administration related
-Daniels has a Karen/no fun crowd agenda (this one is true) who has no respect for fun (this one should be the new school motto)
-Petro wasn't given everything he needed or shown the respect he deserved
-Daniels treated the program unfairly during corona
-The Bubble
-Daniels doesn't care about the sport/the ad doesn't give the program the resources it deserves/admissions are keeping recruits out of the school
Program related
-2010 was the transformative class
-Lee Coppersmith-fastest man in the sport
-Goalie warmups
-Everything about 2013
-Redacted kid decommitted or transferred because of off field issues costing us X current or past season
-D3 is a strong possibility for next season
-Goalie warmups
-Quint spending the broadcast talking about things unrelated to the game like hot dogs while talking about the message board, and taking shots at the program and administration.
-Alumni weren't given fair consideration to replace DP
-The program and university are a relic of the past
-Recruits have no interest in going to a school where the academics are too hard, the school isn't an ivy, the girls aren't hot, the city is too violent, there isn't a good enough social life
-Expectations are too high because other schools have better facilities, give the program more resources, have easier admissions, have better student life options, nicer campuses.
-Mediocre transfers
-Ground balls/shooting percentage/save percentage
-SSDM's who suck, Goalies who suck, attackmen and middies who aren't athletic enough
-Early recruiting
-Benson/insert ex player coming back to replace PM
-Recruits that were lost in the transition we could have used
-Everything Epstein (the lacrosse player)
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:21 am Call me crazy -
Isn't it obvious?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sorry couldn't find the third grade behavior/delusional/ needs medication button for you - I guess Foe will have to do
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:21 am MD - by "insanity" I was not referring to your last or any post of yours. This all started back in the summer of '21 I believe when a certain poster went on a rant that a big problem with the Hopkins program was that John Grant Junior was not warming up the goalies - the premise being apparently that if a goalie could face JGJR in warm-ups - a college players shot would be a piece of cake. I believe he then went on to offer that basically only an offensive coordinator should warm-up goalies - offering up Cowan and Benson as examples. I was simply recalling that Chic warmed up goalies when he was the head coach - I saw it - and that Cowan - according to his Hopkins bio - left the staff when Chic left so he was apparently not warming up Quinn in 84 and 85. No one ever said game preparation - including goalie warm-ups - is not important - it's ALL important. Doesn't do any good to have the most supple and warmed up goalie in the world if your first midfield line all pulled hammies because they were playing COD in the locker room. I haven't opened up my copy of technique and tradition in a long time - I am sure Mr. Scott spent a great deal of time on such things - that was his way. But as you point out - things are so different than the 60's/70's/80's when Hopkins was one of the very few rulers of the roost. Call me crazy - but UCLA's basketball "decline" didn't happen because Wooden wasn't around to teach each player how to tie his sneakers (which he did). It happened because when he left - they didn't get Hazard/Goodrich/Kareem/Walton/Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe/David Myers/Richard Washington etc. etc. with the metronic regularity anymore and with the explosion of the Final Four everybody started paying attention.
ahh, thanks for the explanation.

I'd agree that Grant Jr needn't have been the guy warming up tenders.

My comment was in reference, in general, to the degree of attention paid to goaltending and what signs I would look for if I were a recruit, as a goaltender...only one of which was whether the pre-game warm-up looked disciplined and was done by a coach. I've seen too many times a player doing it who had little discernible discipline to the task and seemed to be trying to score more than provide the right warm-up for the tender. It wasn't relevant to any particular team or situation.

I do think that great coaches run great programs, top to bottom, so I wouldn't dismiss the importance of that factor, whether in recruiting benefits or how the team is trained and prepared. I'd put 'culture' at the very top of what separates teams most reliably and I think that does start at the top.

Great coaches tend to exude the culture they wish to create, usually quite consciously.

Most of those include a sense that no detail is too small; all deserve attention...Wooden's shoelaces being but an extreme example!

All of that said, I think coaches learn and evolve and improve, and sometimes they tire and fail to adapt...times change, they change...
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:44 am Sorry couldn't find the third grade behavior/delusional/ needs medication button for you - I guess Foe will have to do
Indeed, you have mastered the art of self-reference Grasshopper.
Thank you!
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:49 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:44 am Sorry couldn't find the third grade behavior/delusional/ needs medication button for you - I guess Foe will have to do
Indeed, you have mastered the art of self-reference Grasshopper.
Thank you!
The 2022 equivalent of "I'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you" Thank you for proving my point. The last time I heard that was in 3rd grade.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:45 am
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:21 am MD - by "insanity" I was not referring to your last or any post of yours. This all started back in the summer of '21 I believe when a certain poster went on a rant that a big problem with the Hopkins program was that John Grant Junior was not warming up the goalies - the premise being apparently that if a goalie could face JGJR in warm-ups - a college players shot would be a piece of cake. I believe he then went on to offer that basically only an offensive coordinator should warm-up goalies - offering up Cowan and Benson as examples. I was simply recalling that Chic warmed up goalies when he was the head coach - I saw it - and that Cowan - according to his Hopkins bio - left the staff when Chic left so he was apparently not warming up Quinn in 84 and 85. No one ever said game preparation - including goalie warm-ups - is not important - it's ALL important. Doesn't do any good to have the most supple and warmed up goalie in the world if your first midfield line all pulled hammies because they were playing COD in the locker room. I haven't opened up my copy of technique and tradition in a long time - I am sure Mr. Scott spent a great deal of time on such things - that was his way. But as you point out - things are so different than the 60's/70's/80's when Hopkins was one of the very few rulers of the roost. Call me crazy - but UCLA's basketball "decline" didn't happen because Wooden wasn't around to teach each player how to tie his sneakers (which he did). It happened because when he left - they didn't get Hazard/Goodrich/Kareem/Walton/Sidney Wicks/Curtis Rowe/David Myers/Richard Washington etc. etc. with the metronic regularity anymore and with the explosion of the Final Four everybody started paying attention.
ahh, thanks for the explanation.

I'd agree that Grant Jr needn't have been the guy warming up tenders.

My comment was in reference, in general, to the degree of attention paid to goaltending and what signs I would look for if I were a recruit, as a goaltender...only one of which was whether the pre-game warm-up looked disciplined and was done by a coach. I've seen too many times a player doing it who had little discernible discipline to the task and seemed to be trying to score more than provide the right warm-up for the tender. It wasn't relevant to any particular team or situation.

I do think that great coaches run great programs, top to bottom, so I wouldn't dismiss the importance of that factor, whether in recruiting benefits or how the team is trained and prepared. I'd put 'culture' at the very top of what separates teams most reliably and I think that does start at the top.

Great coaches tend to exude the culture they wish to create, usually quite consciously.

Most of those include a sense that no detail is too small; all deserve attention...Wooden's shoelaces being but an extreme example!

All of that said, I think coaches learn and evolve and improve, and sometimes they tire and fail to adapt...times change, they change...
Agree with every single word. And it could even be possible that the Milliman staff is failing on some level of preparation/detail. My point was JGJR warming up the goalie has absolutely nothing to do with that and no one here knows whether that is an issue. He strikes me as a detail no nonsense oriented guy (I remember a poster calling him a "straight Shooter") but truly I do not know - never said I did.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ron Daniels should warm up the goalie. After all, he's Canadian. Probably throws a mean BTB. That'd get our goalies above 50% for sure.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Maybe run a weekly fundraiser raffle for a chance to warm up the goalies. I suspect we would see Cornell Willis out there often.
fsclax

Post by fsclax »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:30 am

Narratives that will never die on this forum
Fan Related
-Quint talking about another program all broadcast long
-Only alumni of the program, their WAGS, families and friends are entitled to follow the program because they understand "what's really going on and played the game"
-Lack of attendance
-Redacted superfan screamed at last weeks game and got more tv time than parents/ex players/students
-We're too mean
-Our expectations are too high
Administration related
-Daniels has a Karen/no fun crowd agenda (this one is true) who has no respect for fun (this one should be the new school motto)
-Petro wasn't given everything he needed or shown the respect he deserved
-Daniels treated the program unfairly during corona
-The Bubble
-Daniels doesn't care about the sport/the ad doesn't give the program the resources it deserves/admissions are keeping recruits out of the school
Program related
-2010 was the transformative class
-Lee Coppersmith-fastest man in the sport
-Goalie warmups
-Everything about 2013
-Redacted kid decommitted or transferred because of off field issues costing us X current or past season
-D3 is a strong possibility for next season
-Goalie warmups
-Quint spending the broadcast talking about things unrelated to the game like hot dogs while talking about the message board, and taking shots at the program and administration.
-Alumni weren't given fair consideration to replace DP
-The program and university are a relic of the past
-Recruits have no interest in going to a school where the academics are too hard, the school isn't an ivy, the girls aren't hot, the city is too violent, there isn't a good enough social life
-Expectations are too high because other schools have better facilities, give the program more resources, have easier admissions, have better student life options, nicer campuses.
-Mediocre transfers
-Ground balls/shooting percentage/save percentage
-SSDM's who suck, Goalies who suck, attackmen and middies who aren't athletic enough
-Early recruiting
-Benson/insert ex player coming back to replace PM
-Recruits that were lost in the transition we could have used
-Everything Epstein (the lacrosse player)
Perhaps the best post ever on fanlax or Lax Power.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

For what its worth.....Tillman has been warming up his goalies.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

quint and PM
the last 6 minutes about his relationship w/the administration probably the most interesting and going to make a few of the insiders who post on here nuts.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... d479647724

-he's been after the lsm from georgetown for a long time and coached his brother
-goalie room sounds like a mess
-bauer, hawley, chauvette got serious mentions-g-d help us if we see them this year in big minutes
-nothing about faceoff guys
-quint's high on melendez/marquis/collison who sound like where the hope is going to be on offense
-congrats to PM on the new kiddo

without the carey school of business I'm really not sure where this program would have been the last few years in terms of 5th years and transfers.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Good interview glad gou posted it.

I liked his insight into the D and the freshmen and transfer. Also his comments on the need to work at Hopkins academically.

I don’t think any one should exorcised over any part of it.

Weight “room” was an issue for years as was the locker room.

I remember being in a PAC 10 locker room around 2005 or so. Finger print access, each locker has its own havc system, fully carpeted, sport specific weight room, internet access for gaming or whatever, tv room, lounge. Very nice.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:33 am quint and PM
the last 6 minutes about his relationship w/the administration probably the most interesting and going to make a few of the insiders who post on here nuts.
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/l ... d479647724

-he's been after the lsm from georgetown for a long time and coached his brother
-goalie room sounds like a mess
-bauer, hawley, chauvette got serious mentions-g-d help us if we see them this year in big minutes
-nothing about faceoff guys
-quint's high on melendez/marquis/collison who sound like where the hope is going to be on offense
-congrats to PM on the new kiddo

without the carey school of business I'm really not sure where this program would have been the last few years in terms of 5th years and transfers.
Great podcast. Thanks for the link.

Good to hear Quint K praising his experience at Hopkins.

Sounds like PM is indeed getting the round pegs who will fit into his program.

Sounds like the new arrivals are doing well. Marquis and others may have an impact sooner than later.

PM praising the support from the administration and sounds like the team is getting some inspiration from the success of the fall teams.

Loved the story where Coach Zimmerman faked being unable to find the keys to the weight room because it was so embarrassingly bad.

I am feeling more confident that this team will finally earn a winning record this season against a really tough schedule.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Solid interview, props to Quint for asking some interesting questions. This is the most upbeat he's been about the Blue Jays in years. Take from that what you will.
jhu06 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:33 am without the carey school of business I'm really not sure where this program would have been the last few years in terms of 5th years and transfers.
Neither Mazzone nor Caracciolo are at Carey. They're doing MAs at Krieger. And Melendez obviously is still an undergrad. So Carey had zero impact on this transfer group.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:16 pm
PM praising the support from the administration and sounds like the team is getting some inspiration from the success of the fall teams.

Loved the story where Coach Zimmerman faked being unable to find the keys to the weight room because it was so embarrassingly bad.

DocBarrister :)
I think the Cordish center should be a reward. Teams that win hardware should move in there, while Lax teams who can't make the playoffs should move out.
Maybe provide some incentive.
Jen Baker is lining the Lacrosse-Only Cordish Center with trophies from other sports. Maybe those teams should just move in. Why not?
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Back when the Jays sustained greatness, they shared space with the other varsity teams.

Now get off my lawn.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”