OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

As we all know, it ain’t always so

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I'm always intrigued to find new examples. I especially like running clock victories that bust the myth.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Mayhap the Granddaddy of 'em all

OuttaNowhereWregget

Variation on the Bully Cover Technique

Are there different styles of Bully Covering, Uncle ONW? Indeed there are. This one is a Shark Attack Bully Cover. BC's Melanie Welch and Belle Smith cruise in on Loyola's Lily Osborne like a couple of sharks that smell blood in the water. The subsequent turnover is a direct result of this variation on the Bully Cover Technique.

Wheels,Wheels!

Re: Mayhap the Granddaddy of 'em all

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:27 am Image
This extremely lopsided #’s has to have a corresponding discrepancy somewhere else. Excessive; Yellow cards/ playing women down? Saves? Turnovers? There has to be a ying to this Yang?
Huge margin
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:52 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:27 am
This extremely lopsided #’s has to have a corresponding discrepancy somewhere else. Excessive; Yellow cards/ playing women down? Saves? Turnovers? There has to be a ying to this Yang?
Huge margin
Here's the box score if you want to research it. https://hopkinssports.com/sports/womens ... core/10697

Use the drop down menu to select play-by-play
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:07 pm
Huge margin
Here's the box score if you want to research it. https://hopkinssports.com/sports/womens ... core/10697

Or just go directly to saves.
It was obvious from the other stats what was missing.
njbill

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Post by njbill »

In a surprising development, Boston College announced that head coach Acacia Walker Weinstein has been fired and that ONW from the fanlax website has been hired as her replacement.

In the press conference announcing his hiring, 0NW said his first order of business will be to pick a name which he promises to use during his entire tenure as head coach, quoting the late Queen Elizabeth, “whether it be long or short.” He rejected criticism that his inability to do so over the past several years is a sign of schizophrenia.

ONW, a self proclaimed cutting edge strategist, also announced that since the draw is of no importance, henceforth Boston College will cede all draws to their opponents. He said this will give the defense more opportunities to practice taking the ball away from opponents, which will pay dividends come playoff time. A Boston College attacker who asked that her name not be used said “wait, wouldn’t we have more chances to score if we had the ball?”
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 pm
Huge margin

Thanks Captain O!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:31 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:05 pm
Huge margin

Thanks Captain O!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

njbill wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:13 pm In a surprising development, Boston College announced that head coach Acacia Walker Weinstein has been fired and that ONW from the fanlax website has been hired as her replacement.

In the press conference announcing his hiring, 0NW said his first order of business will be to pick a name which he promises to use during his entire tenure as head coach, quoting the late Queen Elizabeth, “whether it be long or short.” He rejected criticism that his inability to do so over the past several years is a sign of schizophrenia.

ONW, a self proclaimed cutting edge strategist, also announced that since the draw is of no importance, henceforth Boston College will cede all draws to their opponents. He said this will give the defense more opportunities to practice taking the ball away from opponents, which will pay dividends come playoff time. A Boston College attacker who asked that her name not be used said “wait, wouldn’t we have more chances to score if we had the ball?”
OuttaNowhereWregget

Huge margin
Whether discrepancies exist or not is irrelevant. The point is lazy announcers and commentators regularly state sans disclaimer--Win-the-Draw-Win-the-Game. There are an abundance of examples every season--18% of all games played--that do not follow this slackers adage oft used to fill time during broadcasts. It's simply not always true. 18% is nothing to scoff at. Georgetown outdrew JHU by an inconceivable 26-4 margin--and lost the game. That game alone warrants an added disclaimer--now and forever, (women's lacrosse) world without end.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Feature on Janine Tucker

This looks good...

RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:10 am
Huge margin
Whether discrepancies exist or not is irrelevant. The point is lazy announcers and commentators regularly state sans disclaimer--Win-the-Draw-Win-the-Game. There are an abundance of examples every season--18% of all games played--that do not follow this slackers adage oft used to fill time during broadcasts. It's simply not always true. 18% is nothing to scoff at. Georgetown outdrew JHU by an inconceivable 26-4 margin--and lost the game. That game alone warrants an added disclaimer--now and forever, (women's lacrosse) world without end.
I would not say announcers are being lazy by noting 80%+ of games are won by the team that wins the draw. This data suggests the odds of winning are strongly in that teams favor, so hardly filler by announcers. It’s insightful information.

Can you share where you found the 18% figure? I’d be curious how many of these games had a draw control difference of just several draws. I’d be surprised if many had a draw difference as large as the JHU/Gtown game.

Yes, there will be those rare games where a goalie has less than a 12% save percentage that offsets a wide draw control advantage, but this won’t happen often and would be a terrible strategy to rely on. With just a normal save percentage in that game Gtown most likely wins that game by several goals.

Your own data seems to suggest if a team wins just one more draw they win more than 4 of 5 games. This highlights even more the importance of winning just the draws. I would have never thought the correlation would be that strong where one more draw win can make or break a game. 82% is pretty significant and not lazy commentator fluff based on the data you yourself have presented.

Hats off to the commentators for doing their research and highlighting the importance of the draw. ONW, in a strange way thanks for countering your own argument with the data you provided. Very insightful. I’m more convinced than ever win the draw by even one, win the game.
Itsallgood

Re: Variation on the Bully Cover Technique

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:20 am Are there different styles of Bully Covering, Uncle ONW? Indeed there are. This one is a Shark Attack Bully Cover. BC's Melanie Welch and Belle Smith cruise in on Loyola's Lily Osborne like a couple of sharks that smell blood in the water. The subsequent turnover is a direct result of this variation on the Bully Cover Technique.

BULLY COVER !!! Really ??? Loyola"s player was double teamed, don't understand the need to makeup new terms for things that have been done forever.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Itsallgood wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:08 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:20 am Are there different styles of Bully Covering, Uncle ONW? Indeed there are. This one is a Shark Attack Bully Cover. BC's Melanie Welch and Belle Smith cruise in on Loyola's Lily Osborne like a couple of sharks that smell blood in the water. The subsequent turnover is a direct result of this variation on the Bully Cover Technique.

BULLY COVER !!! Really ??? Loyola"s player was double teamed, don't understand the need to makeup new terms for things that have been done forever.
:lol:
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Huge margin
Thanks I get it. It would be interesting if we could hear the announcers of this game and get their take. Did they ride the “win the draw….” the whole game or did they possibly change the mantra after witnessing the absolutely horrible goalie play? Ricky hasn’t had a stud/ difference maker in goal for a decade, at least.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:26 am
Itsallgood wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:08 am

:lol:
I count at least three fouls on this play.
OuttaNowhereWregget

RollTheCrease wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:54 am
Huge margin
I would not say announcers are being lazy by noting 80%+ of games are won by the team that wins the draw. This data suggests the odds of winning are strongly in that teams favor, so hardly filler by announcers. It’s insightful information.

Can you share where you found the 18% figure? I’d be curious how many of these games had a draw control difference of just several draws. I’d be surprised if many had a draw difference as large as the JHU/Gtown game.

Yes, there will be those rare games where a goalie has less than a 12% save percentage that offsets a wide draw control advantage, but this won’t happen often and would be a terrible strategy to rely on. With just a normal save percentage in that game Gtown most likely wins that game by several goals.

Your own data seems to suggest if a team wins just one more draw they win more than 4 of 5 games. This highlights even more the importance of winning just the draws. I would have never thought the correlation would be that strong where one more draw win can make or break a game. 82% is pretty significant and not lazy commentator fluff based on the data you yourself have presented.

Hats off to the commentators for doing their research and highlighting the importance of the draw. ONW, in a strange way thanks for countering your own argument with the data you provided. Very insightful. I’m more convinced than ever win the draw by even one, win the game.
This is also a compelling example:

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=420500#p420500

I got that statistic from one njbill earlier in the Inside Lacrosse Top 50 thread. Whether he was supplying a facetious statistic or not, I stand by my take--winning the draw battle isn't a sure down payment on a win, though it is frequently stated as such.
Itsallgood

Post by Itsallgood »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:37 am
RollTheCrease wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 8:54 am
Huge margin

This is also a compelling example:

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=420500#p420500

I got that statistic from one njbill earlier in the Inside Lacrosse Top 50 thread. Whether he was supplying a facetious statistic or not, I stand by my take--winning the draw battle isn't a sure down payment on a win, though it is frequently stated as such.
There is a particular coach from the Midwest who for years proclaimed " Win the draw rule the world " she even went so far as to have her team wear T shirts with this slogan. The current teams slogan on hats and T shirts is "The Lakeshow" this coach has been extremely successful adhering to her "Win the draw rule the world philosophy. Ahhh what does she know !!!
OuttaNowhereWregget

Itsallgood wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:39 pm There is a particular coach from the Midwest who for years proclaimed " Win the draw rule the world " she even went so far as to have her team wear T shirts with this slogan. The current teams slogan on hats and T shirts is "The Lakeshow" this coach has been extremely successful adhering to her "Win the draw rule the world philosophy. Ahhh what does she know !!!
Thanks, Itsallgood. You're helping me prove my point. Northwestern won the battle of the draw vs North Carolina 18-15 in this past season's semifinal game but lost 15-14. Too bad the Lakeshow coach wasn't paying more attention to her gassed players midway through the 4th quarter. Perhaps then her win-the-draw-rule-the-world adage would have proved more successful that fateful day.

And the Lakeshow hasn't won a national championship in a decade, so...not as successful as she once was.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”