OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

The Lady with the Little Dog

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

I was walking back from the train station in my neighborhood the other day when I saw up ahead a woman walking a tiny dog. She reined in the leash as I got closer because the dog began snarling and growling the closer I got. She and I exchanged smiles as I got closer. When I was about 10 feet away the little dog started barking and trembling and straining at the leash for all it was worth. I looked down at it as I passed and said, "Eaaaasy there, killer." The dog's owner burst out with a laugh and said, "I know, right?" Nice moment between passing strangers. Always nice to share a laugh with someone.
Justoldlaxdad

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Post by Justoldlaxdad »

Is Michigan State going to add as solution to Title IX suit by swim team? Board of regents said no to swimming friday. MSU needs additional 30+ female athletes to be compliant. On clock with US district court to submit plan of compliance
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Justoldlaxdad wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:50 pm Is Michigan State going to add as solution to Title IX suit by swim team? Board of regents said no to swimming friday. MSU needs additional 30+ female athletes to be compliant. On clock with US district court to submit plan of compliance
I have no idea, sir. It would however be cool to see a Michigan State Spartans women's lacrosse team if that is at all being considered for the future.
OuttaNowhereWregget

When did this start?

The NHL didn't have what is commonly known nowadays as a slapshot in the days of yore. The slapshot was invented in the mid-1930's and evolved into a common shot. I have to think the same is true in women's lacrosse with this kind of shot. I can't imagine the women who first played this game and wore full length skirts and leggings back in the late 1800's and early 1900's would deem it ladylike to rip shots like Northwestern's Samantha Smith does here. I don't know the history of women's lacrosse like some of the members here undoubtedly do, but I would guess free position shots are a recent rule change adopted sometime in recent decades. I wonder who the first player was to try this style shot. I remember Nicole Levy generating a lot of buzz when she did it for Syracuse as a rookie back in 2016. Did anyone predate her? In any event--it's much like the slapshot in hockey. Generates a lot of anticipation during the windup and a lot of velocity and excitement, as well. I'm glad it's become part of the sport.

OuttaNowhereWregget

A solution for those 18 inning games in May

Considering MLB teams have to play 162 games it seems senseless to play 4-5-6 hour extra inning games to settle 1 of them. Great twist on an idea for speeding them up.

0:27 clip
OuttaNowhereWregget

The End of That Patriots Game, Though...

OuttaNowhereWregget

Can't Wait to Read Shaughnessy's Column on This One

The headline for Ben Volin's just dropped article in the Globe:

It was the worst loss and the dumbest play in the history of the Patriots.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Loony Lateral--Lazing in the Fallout

Almost as much fun as watching the Patriots self destruct yesterday will be all the comments from sports talk radio and TV hosts today in the aftermath. A day off between jobs for me will largely be filled with basking in all of it.

One of the elements of the loss I found satisfyingly ironic was who intercepted the dunderheaded toss and lumbered into the end zone for the game winning touchdown--former Patriot Chandler Jones, a player the Pats drafted in the first round back in 2012. I remember Jones being good and improving as time went on. But then his contract renewal time came up and he was due for a nice raise based on his skill and performance. The Pats did with him what they usually do with players who come due for decent contracts--they got rid of him. So it's fitting that he ended up being the one to effectively kill the Patriots season and douse any flickering hopes they had of making the playoffs.

If the Pats finish with a losing record (which looks highly probable with Cincinnati, Miami and Buffalo to finish the season) and Belichick ends up getting fired--I will consider that the cherry on top of the end of the Cheatriots Dynasty. Would not have wanted it scripted any differently.

OuttaNowhereWregget

hmmm's Stream of Consciousness reference

I thought hmmm's reference way back in the summer was apt. An online definition I found below:

In literary criticism, stream of consciousness is a narrative mode or method that attempts "to depict the multitudinous thoughts and feelings which pass through the mind" of a *(humble) narrator. The term was coined by Daniel Oliver in 1840 in First Lines of Physiology: Designed for the Use of Students of Medicine, when he wrote,

"If we separate from this mingled and moving stream of consciousness, our sensations and volitions, which are constantly giving it a new direction, and suffer it to pursue its own spontaneous course, it will appear, upon examination, that this, instead of being wholly fortuitous and uncertain, is determined by certain fixed laws of thought, which are collectively termed the association of ideas."

I first became aware of the term when I joined a book club some years back and William Faulkner came up in a number of discussions. I was interested so I read The Sound and the Fury and enjoyed other Faulkner novels thereafter.

I have to think that stream of consciousness is closely related to the creative process, which is great fun when it happens. I call it zing-zingedy--the feeling/energy I get whenever I'm inspired with an idea for writing something or creating a video clip or a GIF. That feeling of inspiration perfectly depicted in the GIF below--zing-zingedy. This forum has a nice palette for creativity. And as I write this, it occurs to me the items here are all over the place and not neatly arranged. Fittingly then for the subject matter.

The moral of the post: Zing-zingedy is a lot of fun with FanLax providing the creativity palette.

* parenthetical insertion mine
OuttaNowhereWregget

Loose Ball Super slo-mo

Interesting to see the different stick checks. Don't get to appreciate them as much in real time normal speed.

ultravisitor

Re: When did this start?

Post by ultravisitor »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:02 am I can't imagine the women who first played this game and wore full length skirts and leggings back in the late 1800's and early 1900's would deem it ladylike to rip shots like Northwestern's Samantha Smith does here. I don't know the history of women's lacrosse like some of the members here undoubtedly do, but I would guess free position shots are a recent rule change adopted sometime in recent decades. I wonder who the first player was to try this style shot. I remember Nicole Levy generating a lot of buzz when she did it for Syracuse as a rookie back in 2016. Did anyone predate her?
Selena Lasota. I don't know if she was the FIRST, but she was doing it as a freshman at Northwestern in 2015.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: When did this start?

ultravisitor wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:42 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 4:02 am I can't imagine the women who first played this game and wore full length skirts and leggings back in the late 1800's and early 1900's would deem it ladylike to rip shots like Northwestern's Samantha Smith does here. I don't know the history of women's lacrosse like some of the members here undoubtedly do, but I would guess free position shots are a recent rule change adopted sometime in recent decades. I wonder who the first player was to try this style shot. I remember Nicole Levy generating a lot of buzz when she did it for Syracuse as a rookie back in 2016. Did anyone predate her?
Selena Lasota. I don't know if she was the FIRST, but she was doing it as a freshman at Northwestern in 2015.
Good call--Lasota's first year 2015, Levy showed up in '16.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Northwestern 2023 schedule

By NU's own proclamation--"The toughest schedule in the nation is here. Every national semifinalist from last year plays in Evanston!"

Nope--Syracuse has a tougher slate.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Aurora Cordingley - Quick and Nimble

Wheels,Wheels!

Re: Northwestern 2023 schedule

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:22 pm By NU's own proclamation--"The toughest schedule in the nation is here. Every national semifinalist from last year plays in Evanston!"

I stated before that the tail end on the UNC schedule was very favorable stretch. After the Cats rematch with UNC, it’s pretty easy sailing until the last game with MD. The gritty Rutgers squad in there but nothing too scary.
Is it a new phenomenon for teams to declare how hard their schedules are? Never remember that before now.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Northwestern 2023 schedule

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:36 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:22 pm By NU's own proclamation--"The toughest schedule in the nation is here. Every national semifinalist from last year plays in Evanston!"

I stated before that the tail end of the NU schedule was a very favorable stretch. After the Cats rematch with UNC, it’s pretty easy sailing until the last game with MD.
Agreed. Nothing too tough. Of course, it's a regular season game so you might get a little competition from the Cardinal for a couple few quarters.
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:36 pm The gritty Rutgers squad in there but nothing too scary.
In the end, it served the Cats well to get bounced from the Big 10 conference playoffs last season by the Scarlet Knights, but come that first week of April, NU will have their revenge.
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:36 pm Is it a new phenomenon for teams to declare how hard their schedules are? Never remember that before now.
It has become part of sports culture to horn blow and chest pound. Following the social media accounts of the Old Line State team, one gets reminded of the 15 national championships on a regular basis. Logical that crowing about the difficulty of one's schedule would follow.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Yale Bulldogs 2023 schedule

Fairly high degree of difficulty here. Yale made a little noise for a while last season when they put together modest win streaks of 4 games and 5 games before coming back to earth. Good for them. I wish them well. The more teams that prove a tough out among the Ancient Eight, the better for the rest of the NCAA.

Feb 18 (Sat) Vermont
Feb 22 (Wed) at Quinnipiac
Feb 25 (Sat) at Stony Brook

Mar 4 (Sat) Princeton
Mar 6 (Mon) Central Connecticut State University
Mar 11 (Sat) at UConn
Mar 14 (Tue) at Duke
Mar 18 (Sat) Temple
Mar 25 (Sat) Dartmouth

Apr 1 (Sat) at Brown
Apr 4 (Tue) at Army
Apr 8 (Sat) at Penn