OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
admin
Site Admin

Re: Picked-up pieces from ONWgate

Post by admin »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:14 pm ...Mulling a few things from the recent disturbance on my penultimate day at work... Good way to go out...
ONW, this smells like trolling. Let it go.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Picked-up pieces from ONWgate

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

admin wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:58 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:14 pm ...Mulling a few things from the recent disturbance on my penultimate day at work... Good way to go out...
ONW, this smells like trolling. Let it go.
Will do
OuttaNowhereWregget

Defending A10 Champs drop '23 schedule

Nice reminder that we had a new champ in the A10 last year.

https://sjuhawks.com/news/2022/5/1/wome ... -team.aspx
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: FloriDAY! 2023 Schedule

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:45 pm Not overwhelmed by this schedule....UNC/MD/LOY/JMU are good matchups, but the others (with the possible exception of PENN) are meh.
Probably looking at 12-4 and a ranking...but they will lose to those above....
They dropped Stony Brook and Syracuse from last year. If I remember correctly, both teams were mainstays each new season. I think 12-4 is a good guess but I give them a shot against the 4 listed above. Not because I think they're better than all the teams you specified, but because sometimes you just never know which Gator team shows up. They do have some good talent. We shall see...
wlaxphan20

Re: The other example

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:53 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:25 pm The magnitude of Northwestern's collapse still stuns me. How many things they absolved for the Heels during the course of this game by their own blight of mindlessness in the 4th quarter. (Another example to follow...)
Here, Levy calls for a stick check. I'll let this portion of game video speak for itself...

Curious: why was this "ill-advised"?
For the exact reason Jay Alter stated on the broadcast. I agree with his assessment.
Sorry, I watched but hadn't listened to the broadcast. Of course, in the end it didn't matter. It provided UNC -- and NU -- with a lot of time to talk, regroup, hydrate. And it was in the 3rd Quarter -- lots of time left in terms of the anticipated number of possessions left to divvy up in the game. I'm not sure that the so-called calculated risk of seeking the stick check was such a bad idea. I doubt I would have done it, but then I don't have a couple of championships under my belt. And strange -- for me anyway -- that it was an NU defender's stick. In the end, the biggest coaching mistakes were not made by Levy and Barnes. One of the biggest prime time collapses I have even watched in sports. Truly stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.
I agree. Girardi was so visibly gassed.
wlaxphan20

Re: Powder Blue Crew - 2023 schedule

Post by wlaxphan20 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:14 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 6:35 pm Only 15 games. Interesting.

Feb 11 (Sat) 2 p.m. Home James Madison
Feb 15 (Wed) 5 p.m. Home Liberty
Feb 18 (Sat) Noon Home Florida
Feb 24 (Fri) 5 p.m. Away Virginia Tech

Mar 4 (Sat) 12:30 p.m. Home Boston College
Mar 11 (Sat) 2 p.m. Home Virginia
Mar 16 (Thu) 1 p.m. Away Louisville
Mar 19 (Sun) 1 p.m. Away Northwestern
Mar 23 (Thu) 6 p.m. Home High Point
Mar 26 (Sun) Noon Home Clemson

Apr 1 (Sat) 1 p.m. Home Notre Dame
Apr 7 (Fri) 2 p.m. Home Pitt
Apr 11 (Tue) 5 p.m. Away East Carolina
Apr 15 (Sat) 1 p.m. Home Syracuse
Apr 20 (Thu) 7 p.m. Away Duke

Almost as interesting as their 15-game regular season schedules in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2022? Or 16 in 2021?….
No comment?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm WOW! Totally agree. Two challenging teams in their OOC. it starts with multi year under achievers. PSU, bottom B10 performer.
I like the way you put this, Wheels. You said it--Penn State has certainly fallen off as of late. Don't see them as much of a challenge.
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm The two heavy weights! Who will Jax be? The Sunshine Beast that totally embarrassed the over hyped Cardinal last year? New coach and direction?
Good questions. I also wonder how the Dolphins will look next year with the new coach.
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm The Gators. The only tough weekend of the whole schedule.
Agreed--the Gators will be a very tough game. I think they'll torch AZ St.
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 2:44 pm As for the PAC10, any thoughts if they can resuscitate the conference? I saw USC get throttled in 3 Fall ball games. They could not get any stops. Can Colorado get back the old mojo? New OC from Northwestern, can she inject some life into their attack? Can they land the PAC zeppelin in a lightening storm? For ASU a mostly luke warm schedule at best.
I'm with you on the Pac--the whole conference is an enigma, and none of them ready for prime time. They seem to take turns making a little noise during the regular season but by the time The Tournament rolls around, mentally they seem to already be on summer break.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:24 pm

Almost as interesting as their 15-game regular season schedules in 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, or 2022? Or 16 in 2021?….
No comment?
Are you obligating me to produce one?
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

A lot of home cooking after the Northwestern game.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 pm A lot of home cooking after the Northwestern game.
What do you mean?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Now THIS is a tough schedule

It's not nearly as tough as Syracuse's schedule--but for San Diego State U? This is a very tough and ambitious and (you listening Duke? Notre Dame?) admirable slate of games. I'd love to see SDSU do well. The main reason is because *old friend Taylor Gait is an assistant coach with the Aztecs. But I've noticed the last couple few years that the Aztecs will play tough opponents. I always admire that in a team. The intrepid underdog is always easy to root for.

* figurativly speaking
OuttaNowhereWregget

Shaughnessy's article on Charlie Baker and the NCAA

I always enjoy reading the legendary Dan Shaughnessy. Michael Felger once referred to him as "a national treasure." I agree. He's a personal hero of mine, as well. He wrote this article and posted it for the Boston Globe late last night. Because he mentions the transfer portal, NIL, and other items that are part of women's lacrosse, I thought I would share it here:

Massachusetts governor Charlie Baker Thursday was named the new president of the NCAA. Sheesh. The man who looks like Roger Goodell is now going to try to fix something far more broken than any professional sports league. Good luck, Charlie. Big-time college sports is a cesspool. The NCAA makes the MBTA look like a well-oiled machine.

When Baker, who could have been governor for life, announced he was stepping down after two terms, I assumed he was preparing to run for president of the United States. No. He’s now president of the NCAA, which could be more challenging than sitting in the Oval Office. Baker’s now got to deal with the billion-dollar, blatantly professional, borderline criminal greed of big-time college sports while at the same time trying to serve worthy, Division 3 programs with true amateurs playing for the love of the game. It’s like overseeing Brookline Booksmith and Amazon Prime simultaneously. Poor Charlie now has to monitor frauds such as Deion Sanders (think he cares about anyone at Colorado ever graduating?) urging Colorado footballers to rush to the transfer portal, while still honoring the majority of college athletes who have nothing to do with March Madness or absurd/monied Division 1 football programs.

At his introductory news conference Thursday, Baker — who played basketball at Harvard (which is not to be confused with the one-and-done/bags-of-cash experience of John Calipari’s Kentucky ballers) — spoke of this “amazing opportunity” and this being “a bit of a pivotal period” for college sports. I’ll say. The transfer portal and the big-dollar NIL (name, image, likeness) opportunities for a small number of star athletes (such as some volleyball players and gymnasts who have endorsement deals as social media stars) have dramatically changed the already scorched-earth landscape of big-time college sports. The notion of “student-athletes” in these cash cow programs is a legitimate joke and has cultivated an audience of sports fans who think of the Texas Longhorns the same way they enjoy the Dallas Cowboys. And none of it has anything do with the traditional mission of the college experience.

Here’s an example: UCLA is going to the Big Ten. Think about that. The University of California at Los Angeles, the college home of the likes of Jackie Robinson and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, is soon to join the Big Ten — home of Michigan and Ohio State. I reached out to two-time NCAA champion UCLA center Bill Walton, a Southern California legend, to ask what he thought of the move and Walton texted, “Tragically sad.” Indeed. When it comes to big-time college sports, it’s all about the TV deals involving bowl money and March Madness. The already-flawed system has been broken by NIL opportunities and the dreaded transfer portal, which shatters all team concept and allows any disgruntled, impatient star to switch to another school with no consequences. This is why you are seeing great coaches such as Jerry York and Jay Wright get out of the business. I asked Baker about the portal Thursday and he said, “I am a fan of college sports and I think the transfer portal is one element of a whole series of elements that need to be part of the conversation going forward. At this point in time . . . I’m not going to comment on the pluses and minuses.”

Swell. I can do it for you, Gov.

The portal is a nightmare. It makes it impossible for any kind of continuity for big-time programs. It invites corruption, cash, and cars. Hello, Buddy Garrity. The portal makes a joke of coaching a big-time college team, or supporting said team from the sidelines. It’s the same with NIL. How’d you like to be the unpaid offensive lineman blocking for a Heisman candidate running back who is making tens of thousands of dollars to tote the ball for State U? Meanwhile, Baker knows he needs to serve the majority of NCAA athletes — legitimate students with no cash-for-play, and no professional sports on their horizon. These are your sons and daughters, just trying to play Division 3 lacrosse to enhance their college experience.

Good luck, Charlie. Your first day on the job is March 1. By Easter you’ll be longing for those golden days of trying to fix the
(MBTA) Orange Line.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

You should post the Shaughnessy article more broadly, if you can find an appropriate thread. It's a good read and very timely. At least post it on the Men's Div 1 side in the transfer portal thread, or maybe here:

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=500
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:09 am You should post the Shaughnessy article more broadly, if you can find an appropriate thread. It's a good read and very timely. At least post it on the Men's Div 1 side in the transfer portal thread, or maybe here:

https://fanlax.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... &start=500
Thanks for sharing your impressions on the article, Sea. Think any of what Shaughnessy rails against has seeped into women's lacrosse?

Feel free to re-post it where ever you think it might be appreciated.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 8:33 pm
Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 pm A lot of home cooking after the Northwestern game.
What do you mean?
They play 4 home games and their two away games are in-state & under 2 hours away (easy for fans to travel, almost like home games)
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:09 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:24 pm

No comment?
Are you obligating me to produce one?
No one can make you respond to anything except yourself.
OuttaNowhereWregget

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:47 am
What do you mean?
They play 4 home games and their two away games are in-state & under 2 hours away (easy for fans to travel, almost like home games)
Ah--you've learned me a new metaphor. Thank you.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Nifty discovery

On a whim, I clicked on one of these little arrows that appear to the right of a quoted post. I was brought directly to the original post which was being quoted. I'll find this helpful as it will make scrolling back through (at times) pages and pages to find the original unnecessary. Who knew?

Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

What do you mean?
After the NU game, their schedule is extremely favorable and all local. The OOC games are all nearby and the ACC games are all very winnable, one exception being Cuse, but they will have to prove that the defense and goalie situation has been solved. Not that they need it but the Heels will be well rested.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:14 pm
What do you mean?
After the NU game, their schedule is extremely favorable and all local. The OOC games are all nearby and the ACC games are all very winnable, one exception being Cuse, but they will have to prove that the defense and goalie situation has been solved. Not that they need it but the Heels will be well rested.
Gotcha--thanks Wheels. Good stuff to look forward to.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”