Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by Jldlax »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:22 pm Here is my question. Do you think the rest of the Big East, which was pretty much very mediocre to subpar last year, will be either improved or much improved?

I do not see it. Denver has fallen a notch and Nova should be the same as past few years, absent some surprises from incoming class. The other 3 have a long way to go.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:40 pm
random observer wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 11:49 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 10:00 pm Heres the two hypothesis re Cesare:

1. As unstarred if he outperforms "perception" and I realize the coaches don't care about stars but I bet they all anchor unconsciously to the media hype even if it's cognitive dissonance. So the 4 star kids are kind of "fill or kill" in that if they dont perform early when given opportunities they become a "let down" faster, whereas Cesare only has to do some things well when given opportunities and the mind will think, hey this kid is "sneaky good and maybe a hidden gem with some upside so lets give him more chances"

2. My son locked onto him before I helped him think about and learn how to effectively research kids and time was getting close to pick and I checked with a Fairfield Co guy I trust who said he could shoot and with Haley at the X it was a roll of the dice when I've got Sam King and Pat Kavanaugh at attack already..

Fantasy doesn't equal reality..but it'll be fun to root for a lesser known talent and he wants to watch georgetown games which I will do even though we know the best georgetown lacrosse to watch involves hobart guys like Dave Urick.
I think he was just simply a late bloomer on the scene; he was on Eclipse's B team up until his junior year.
Love to hear it. Some kids just don’t develop as fast as others. Something to be said for being under the radar and not being pampered by the hype machine in terms of character and player development. Looking forward to seeing him play.

After fall practice, is there any sense as to likely candidates to fill in some defensive slots at midfield, and whether/how the incoming class, especially middies, will get some time? Two SSDM and an LSM slot seem to be open. On offense even with incoming transfers GU can use some more depth at middie.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Haley clearly, and Minicus I would think are at
Attack. Then you have Bundy Hess Mcdermott set at midfield. How they then integrate Kelly Solomon and Dordevic at attack or midfield will be interesting. Assume one takes the 3rd attack spot and other two slash or play midfield exclusively. Goldberg and Wray are younger guys i can see being factors at midfield as well. Depth at midfield should be no issue finally. SSDM should be a strength but yes need a 3rd to step up - maybe Glynn or Cesare possibly? LSM need someone to step up to play along with Halpert. Close D should be set with Bowen Donaldson and Tominovich.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:10 pm Haley clearly, and Minicus I would think are at
Attack. Then you have Bundy Hess Mcdermott set at midfield. How they then integrate Kelly Solomon and Dordevic at attack or midfield will be interesting. Assume one takes the 3rd attack spot and other two slash or play midfield exclusively. Goldberg and Wray are younger guys i can see being factors at midfield as well. Depth at midfield should be no issue finally. SSDM should be a strength but yes need a 3rd to step up - maybe Glynn or Cesare possibly? LSM need someone to step up to play along with Halpert. Close D should be set with Bowen Donaldson and Tominovich.
I like the fact that nobody has any clue as to how the offensive sets are going to shake out. If we don't know it, opposing teams certainly don't. ;)
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

2023 Schedule

https://guhoyas.com/sports/mens-lacross ... ?path=mlax

Jan 28 (Sat)
at
Maryland (Scrimmage)
College Park, Md.

Feb 4 (Sat)
vs
Virginia (Scrimmage)
Cooper Field

Feb 11 (Sat)
at
Johns Hopkins
Baltimore, Md.

Feb 18 (Sat)
vs
Penn
Cooper Field

Feb 25 (Sat)
vs
Notre Dame
Cooper Field

Mar 4 (Sat)
at
Princeton
Princeton, N.J.

Mar 11 (Sat)
vs
Richmond
Cooper Field

Mar 18 (Sat)
High Point
TBA

Mar 25 (Sat)
vs
Lehigh
Cooper Field

Apr 1 (Sat)
vs
Denver
Cooper Field

Apr 8 (Sat)
vs
Providence
Cooper Field

Apr 15 (Sat)
at
Marquette
Milwaukee, WI

Apr 18 (Tue)
at
Loyola
Baltimore, MD

Apr 22 (Sat)
at
St. John's
Queens, NY

Apr 28 (Fri)
vs
Villanova
Cooper Field
FishFood

Post by FishFood »

12-1 (loss to either Princeton, ND, or Penn....my guess ND) If they manage to get through those 3 I could see a slip-up game against a Lehigh or Richmond.

MD and UVA scrimmages will 100% have them ready for that early stretch though.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Wish it was a game, but Virginia is a solid edition as a scrimmage to get them ready for that early season gauntlet. High Point a step up from Mount St. Mary's.
Last edited by rolldodge on Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Same schedule as last year except HPU for MSM so an incredible schedule gets even tougher. Have to give Warne and Lee Reed credit. When it went bad they watered down the schedule a bit. Built a winning culture again with the class of 2018 and now Hoyas clearly want to play against and hopefully be one of the big boys. Every team on this schedule looks better on paper than last year but so do the Hoyas. Replicating last year’s regular season record should not be the goal IMO. Have a great season. 12-1 again great. 10-3 and built for the tournament great. It’s a tremendous schedule and the terps and cavs scrimmages can only help. Have a great season, hopefully win the BE again and go deep in the NCAA tournament.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Atticus

Post by Atticus »

Well said, HGK. I like what the Hoyas are doing. Wins and losses aside, this schedule should generate a lot of very good lacrosse.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

HGK wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm Same schedule as last year except HPU for MSM so an incredible schedule gets even tougher. Have to give Warne and Lee Reed credit. When it went bad they watered down the schedule a bit. Built a winning culture again with the class of 2018 and now Hoyas clearly want to play against and hopefully be one of the big boys. Every team on this schedule looks better on paper than last year but so do the Hoyas. Replicating last year’s regular season record should not be the goal IMO. Have a great season. 12-1 again great. 10-3 and built for the tournament great. It’s a tremendous schedule and the terps and cavs scrimmages can only help. Have a great season, hopefully win the BE again and go deep in the NCAA tournament.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Loyola fan here, I agree georgetowns schedule is one of the toughest and they have a great chance to repeat success from last year.

On paper however, loyola faces a ton of question marks in key positions on the field so I will have to disagree on the account of our team being “better than last year”. Georgetown simply is too good from the last 4 full seasons. I expect Georgetown to win that game pretty handily IMO
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HGK

Post by HGK »

Fair enough but midweek at Ridley UTL won’t be easy!
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:35 pm Same schedule as last year except HPU for MSM so an incredible schedule gets even tougher. Have to give Warne and Lee Reed credit. When it went bad they watered down the schedule a bit. Built a winning culture again with the class of 2018 and now Hoyas clearly want to play against and hopefully be one of the big boys. Every team on this schedule looks better on paper than last year but so do the Hoyas. Replicating last year’s regular season record should not be the goal IMO. Have a great season. 12-1 again great. 10-3 and built for the tournament great. It’s a tremendous schedule and the terps and cavs scrimmages can only help. Have a great season, hopefully win the BE again and go deep in the NCAA tournament.

Let’s go Hoyas!
I agree with the above. The key is getting the team to peak at the right time and have the mental and physical toughness for the postseason. The recent success has the program where making the postseason is not enough.
While getting here was a great step, the next one may be harder still, but there is no reason why GU cannot take the next step. The location, academics and facilities are at/near the elite programs, and the explosion in talent as the game has expanded beyond the traditional hotbeds should facilitate continued progress.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 12:37 pm

Let’s go Hoyas!
I agree with the above. The key is getting the team to peak at the right time and have the mental and physical toughness for the postseason. The recent success has the program where making the postseason is not enough.
While getting here was a great step, the next one may be harder still, but there is no reason why GU cannot take the next step. The location, academics and facilities are at/near the elite programs, and the explosion in talent as the game has expanded beyond the traditional hotbeds should facilitate continued progress.
The roster no longer lists the sophomore faceoff man who got most minutes behind Reilly last year. Any word on who the top back up would be?
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Georgetown is clearly the class of the Big East, and it's not even close. Maybe Villanova can hang within 3 or 4 goals but only if the Hoyas are having an off day. Remember the days when Denver used to be that team? Georgetown is miles ahead of them of them at this point. The gap in athleticism between the Hoyas and Pios is massive.

The scrimmage next weekend with Maryland will be awesome. The Terps held out several players (Kyle Long, for example) for various reasons against Duke on Saturday in Durham and still won 12-7. Two Final 4-quality teams scrimmaging?!!
molo

Post by molo »

GT is back. They need to renew the rivalry with Maryland and schedule UVA.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Agree. Perhaps drop High Point for one of them. Also consider swapping Lehigh for another traditional rival in Navy.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:14 am Georgetown is clearly the class of the Big East, and it's not even close. Maybe Villanova can hang within 3 or 4 goals but only if the Hoyas are having an off day. Remember the days when Denver used to be that team? Georgetown is miles ahead of them of them at this point. The gap in athleticism between the Hoyas and Pios is massive.

The scrimmage next weekend with Maryland will be awesome. The Terps held out several players (Kyle Long, for example) for various reasons against Duke on Saturday in Durham and still won 12-7. Two Final 4-quality teams scrimmaging?!!
Don’t sleep on the Pios. Defense is stout and I think the offense will surprise some people
HGK

Post by HGK »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:02 am
Wheels wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:14 am Georgetown is clearly the class of the Big East, and it's not even close. Maybe Villanova can hang within 3 or 4 goals but only if the Hoyas are having an off day. Remember the days when Denver used to be that team? Georgetown is miles ahead of them of them at this point. The gap in athleticism between the Hoyas and Pios is massive.

Don’t sleep on the Pios. Defense is stout and I think the offense will surprise some people
I think Marquette is a big sleeper this year.

That said, Hoyas are loaded. At Maryland next weekend and then UVA at Cooper before opening at Hopkins. The next two weeks scrimmages should give a sense of how the coaches plan to integrate the transfers, freshmen and importantly IMO, Hess back into the offense.
molo

Post by molo »

Navy would be amother good local addition.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Navy was a regular on the schedule for many years. Not sure why that ended but given Warne and Amplo are teammates from Hofstra and close friends I wouldn’t be surprised if that game comes back in the near future.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”