OuttaNowhereWregget--Redux

D1 Womens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: OuttaNowhereWregget—Opinions, photos, highlights, news, etc.

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:54 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:43 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:16 am Second cutter was very open and CN could have seen her on the next to last roll
maybe. by the time CN was eye to eye with her, the opening was gone. i think...
There's no maybe about it. Defender looks to North, leans in that direction with thoughts of going to double team her and that second cutter heads to the goal and is wide open. An Ortega would've made that pass, a North not so much.
Well, being a team player got her national championship, but not the Tewaaraton award which she should’ve gotten in my opionion . regardless I’m sure she’s happier winning the natty
I would certainly hope that she'd be happier with the Championship and have no reason to doubt that.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Not a Game for the Faint of Heart

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:13 am Image

No one should ever question the toughness or bravery of the athletes who play this game. Scottie Rose Growney absorbs a rib crushing cross check, not to mention a bone jarring crash to the artificial turf, yet gets up after a short period of recovery and continues to play.
Now just after this play, Wurzburger mindlessly decides to dispense some frontier justice on SRG's assailant with a ref looking right at her, which buys her a yellow card and a player advantage for the Wildcats who were up 11-3 at the time with 7:35 left in the 3rd. The magnitude of Northwestern's collapse still stuns me. How many things they absolved for the Heels during the course of this game by their own blight of mindlessness in the 4th quarter. (Another example to follow...)

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Madlax59 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:58 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:55 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:52 am
DMac wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:27 am ...This play should have ended with a slam dunk from the doorstep goal with an assist coming from North...
I dunno. I don't see so many open players.
#12 is open, great cut. I don't think North sees her, most likely because she wasn't thinking feed, she was focused hard on getting her shot off.

I disagree with calling North "selfish" or "hoggish", I think she's simply much better at working to get her own shot than she is at setting up others. Her mindset needn't be characterized in a way that is demeaning...she's scoring for her team. An assist is worth just as much as a goal to the record books...but the goal scored is job #1. She's tremendous at doing Job #1.

Now, if one wants to argue that a player with a more balanced approach to scoring is more valuable to a team than one who excels at scoring on her own, that's a different matter.

I don't know any coach who doesn't work with a great scoring attack to have their eyes up when driving to the net, and for the other players to work really hard to be dangerous. Doing so also opens up the field for the driving attack, as it makes it much harder for defenders to 'help' if they're going to get lit up by a back side cut for a very high quality shot opportunity. Some are better at that aspect than others.

But as a coach I'd also encourage my alpha to play that alpha role, forcing opponents to have to defend. And I'd much prefer an error of commission, than omission...so, I'd encourage a full commitment to get one's own shot off. But keep eyes up as much as you can... ;)

Personally, I think it's a bit silly to get hung up on who is "best"...I'd want any of these top gals on my squad!
I disagree ^ assists to goals and points are not as good as goals them selves . And the flashier the better just look at all the hoopla that is made with breaking goals records over total points records especially when it comes to social media and definitely judging committees.
Mmm, the objective is balls in back of net, but any coach worth their salt will emphasize assisted goals over not.

hoopla is not the point.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Going into the FF in 2021, Ortega was the favorite to win the Tewaaraton. Scane was second. North third. Colson wasn't going to win in my view because she was a defender (only one defender has ever won the award) and her team was out of the tournament. I didn't think they'd give it to a goalie twice in a row so I didn't think Moreno would win.

Ortega was the favorite in 2021 in no small part because her team was favored to win the Natty. She, North, and Scane had had relatively comparable years so playing for the team most thought would win it all gave an edge to Ortega. Scane was favored over North because it looked like NU had a better chance of winning the title than BC. In BC's one meeting with UNC that year, the Tarheels had demolished BC. They didn't look like they belonged on the same field. NU was largely an unknown given the Big 10's decision to only play teams in their conference. How good was NU? It was hard to say.

As it played out, BC won the title and North won the Tewy. By the end of the year she deserved to win.

But 2022 was different. This past year Ortega's team won the Natty. North's team lost. Again, the two had had relatively comparable seasons. Most knowledgeable followers of the game thought Ortega would win, as she should have. She didn't. Such is life. Sometimes the wrong person wins big individual awards. Happens from time to time in sports. What was the vote of the committee? Why did some vote for North and some for Ortega? I don't know. I honestly don't get why Ortega didn't win. Makes little sense. The North PR machine obviously played a role.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The other example

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:25 pm The magnitude of Northwestern's collapse still stuns me. How many things they absolved for the Heels during the course of this game by their own blight of mindlessness in the 4th quarter. (Another example to follow...)
Here, Levy calls for a stick check. I'll let this portion of game video speak for itself...

Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:41 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 3:54 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:54 am
Matnum PI wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:43 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:16 am Second cutter was very open and CN could have seen her on the next to last roll
maybe. by the time CN was eye to eye with her, the opening was gone. i think...
There's no maybe about it. Defender looks to North, leans in that direction with thoughts of going to double team her and that second cutter heads to the goal and is wide open. An Ortega would've made that pass, a North not so much.
Well, being a team player got her national championship, but not the Tewaaraton award which she should’ve gotten in my opionion . regardless I’m sure she’s happier winning the natty
Nothing against Ortega, but objectively, North walked away from the collegiate game with more accolades. They each have one national championship and one Honda award, but North also has two Tewaaratons and an ACC Scholar Athlete of the Year award. North was also selected to the US national team and won a gold medal, leading the team in scoring.

I am always puzzled by those who question North winning the second Tewy, as if it was the result of a conspiracy or social media hype. (I realize you are not saying that specifically here, Madlax.) The committee has historically favored players who win the national championship in making the award, so for North to win it while her team lost the NC to Carolina is noteworthy. The Tewaaraton selection committee includes luminaries of the sport like Jen Adams, Chris Sailer, Amy Appelt, Jenny Graap, Lindsey Munday, and Hannah Nielsen. The committee also includes North's former Duke coach, Kerstin Kimel. Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions about who should win the award, but I have never heard a reasoned explanation for why this group would believe in their hearts that Ortega should win the award, but were swayed by hype or a cabal meeting to give it to North instead.
Pretty sure Ortega broke more records while at UNC than North did at BC or Duke combined.
2nd ALL time D1 in points (more even than North), shes not even 3rd or 4th I believe.
All time Points leader ACC
Led her team undefeated - beating BC 3X and securing ACC Attacker of the year
Spoke with Amonte- Hillier prior to award and was told "not sure anyone can see past the hype (of North). Hype not talent or deservedness
and Norths shocked reaction when she won leads me to think she herself was surprised to win it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

The JO's-Better-Than-North Argument

OuttaNowhereWregget

Charlotte North Takes 2nd Tewwy in Stride

OuttaNowhereWregget

Just like she took the first one

OuttaNowhereWregget

Let's Get Things Nice and Sparkling Clear

Statistics 2022 Season

North - 23 games 92 goals 23 assists 115 pts 139 draw controls
Ortega - 22 games 69 goals 44 assists 113 pts 1 draw control

North vs Carolina in '22 - 11 goals 2 assists 17 dc’s (4 goals 0 assists in NCAA final vs UNC)
Ortega vs BC in '22 - 7 goals 7 assists 0 dc’s (2 goals 0 assists in NCAA final vs BC)

Other than the stats, which clearly show North had the better overall numbers, on what basis would the Tewaaraton committee choose Ortega over North?

OuttaNowhereWregget

Mood on the last day at old job before starting new one

0:11 clip
OuttaNowhereWregget

Maestro! A Little Triumphant Music Accompanying Please

0:47 clip
OuttaNowhereWregget

Hopes for Boston College in 2023

I'm sure all us BC fans will agree:

Beat Carolina during regular season

Avenge last season's loss to Duke

Win the ACC Conference Championship

Win a 2nd National Championship

Stay healthy throughout

Seacoaster(1)

Re: The other example

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:54 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 5:25 pm The magnitude of Northwestern's collapse still stuns me. How many things they absolved for the Heels during the course of this game by their own blight of mindlessness in the 4th quarter. (Another example to follow...)
Here, Levy calls for a stick check. I'll let this portion of game video speak for itself...

Curious: why was this "ill-advised"?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am

For the exact reason Jay Alter stated on the broadcast. I agree with his assessment.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Wildcat Woes

Northwestern players, coaches (past and present), alum and fans (got my hand raised) after yet another interlude of cycling through the woulda's coulda's and shoulda's of the colossal semifinal collapse to Carolina.

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:13 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:36 am

For the exact reason Jay Alter stated on the broadcast. I agree with his assessment.
Sorry, I watched but hadn't listened to the broadcast. Of course, in the end it didn't matter. It provided UNC -- and NU -- with a lot of time to talk, regroup, hydrate. And it was in the 3rd Quarter -- lots of time left in terms of the anticipated number of possessions left to divvy up in the game. I'm not sure that the so-called calculated risk of seeking the stick check was such a bad idea. I doubt I would have done it, but then I don't have a couple of championships under my belt. And strange -- for me anyway -- that it was an NU defender's stick. In the end, the biggest coaching mistakes were not made by Levy and Barnes. One of the biggest prime time collapses I have even watched in sports. Truly stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:53 am Sorry, I watched but hadn't listened to the broadcast. Of course, in the end it didn't matter. It provided UNC -- and NU -- with a lot of time to talk, regroup, hydrate. And it was in the 3rd Quarter -- lots of time left in terms of the anticipated number of possessions left to divvy up in the game. I'm not sure that the so-called calculated risk of seeking the stick check was such a bad idea. I doubt I would have done it, but then I don't have a couple of championships under my belt. And strange -- for me anyway -- that it was an NU defender's stick. In the end, the biggest coaching mistakes were not made by Levy and Barnes. One of the biggest prime time collapses I have even watched in sports. Truly stealing defeat from the jaws of victory.
I hear you. In principle however--it just didn't make sense at the time. IF (and I know full well this is merely an irrelevant, after-the-fact if) but IF Carolina ended up losing the game by one let's say, just for the sake of discussion, it would have been Levy who was haunted with this decision. One can imagine the questions at the post game--"Coach, what was your rationale for calling a stick check at that time in the game?" "Coach, was it a momentum killer to have called that stick check after just scoring a goal to give a possession back to Northwestern which they cashed for a goal?"

And strange -- for me anyway -- that it was an NU defender's stick

I'm guessing it may have been the stick Berkery swapped with Dwyer after the draw, but I don't know that for sure.

In the end, the biggest coaching mistakes were not made by Levy and Barnes.

So very true.

Of course, in the end it didn't matter.

Agreed--in the end it didn't matter. But I don't consider it wise in that situation if you're not certain sure that the stick you challenge will be illegal.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”