***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

HS Boys Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: ***********The MIAA "A" Conference 2023**************

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 9:23 am Marquette sure has a great thing going with the MIAA. Did anyone see this coming?
Looks like 9 on the roster in '23. Several from Looney's club.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Might be the last you see of that. Looney's has faded from existence. I think they are down to one team. And I'm not sure it's going to be around this summer.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 11:54 am poggi to charlotte
https://amp.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 87677.html
Interesting opportunity for Biff.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:22 am
They put it in writing and confirmed what Gilman and SFA would not:
A millionaire hedge fund manager, Poggi poured in thousands of dollars into the St. Frances Academy program he helped launch in Baltimore. He even paid the salaries of his staff and underwrote housing and tuition for multiple student-athletes during his tenure.
I’m all for enriching the lives of these kids and giving them opportunities with school. But a competitive issue arises when you don’t build a program by the league rules or do it through the school. It’s not a level playing field. Especially with football. Poggi was building great football teams that just happened to be wearing a school’s uniform. I’m glad Poggi went the national route with SFA. I think it was a much better fit than in the MIAA. Probably a great hire for Charlotte. My guess is Poggi’s generosity and financial liquidity will be good fit at the college level.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:03 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:22 am
They put it in writing and confirmed what Gilman and SFA would not:
A millionaire hedge fund manager, Poggi poured in thousands of dollars into the St. Frances Academy program he helped launch in Baltimore. He even paid the salaries of his staff and underwrote housing and tuition for multiple student-athletes during his tenure.
I’m all for enriching the lives of these kids and giving them opportunities with school. But a competitive issue arises when you don’t build a program by the league rules or do it through the school. It’s not a level playing field. Especially with football. Poggi was building great football teams that just happened to be wearing a school’s uniform. I’m glad Poggi went the national route with SFA. I think it was a much better fit than in the MIAA. Probably a great hire for Charlotte. My guess is Poggi’s generosity and financial liquidity will be good fit at the college level.
well...if I recall correctly SFA was pretty much forced out of the MIAA when some of the schools began to refuse to play them when the league was unable to enforce its rules, spirit of the league, effectively. If I recall correctly, SFA had already made noises about going national but was still trying to get games locally through the league and got into a huge huff, with all sorts of (IMO) spurious accusations at other schools for refusing to play them. I agree that going national was the right thing for what Poggi et al were trying to do with SFA, but the process of doing so was badly handled...

And I've not been a fan of the self-congratulatory promotion campaign that seems also to have been the pattern.

That said, enabling kids to have a path forward in life is a positive good.
I hope his efforts at the college level will help more kids do so...

The one thing that my son has repeated numerous times to me, including after the news hit, was that his classmates who were Poggi football recruits at Gilman were by and large great guys, desirable classmates. Every bit as deserving and contributing as the rest of the class. But his class was just prior to the increased acceleration in recruiting that led to Poggi moving to SFA where there was no resistance at all to bringing in as many athletes as possible, from wherever.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

It's awesome to hear Poggi was getting good kids at Gilman. That matters. I love hearing when good athletes are fully involved and immersed in the school community. Unfortunately the UNC basketball scandal and old stereotypes have given student athletes bad names.
My son went to hs with 2 kids who made it to the NBA. Throughout high school my son had such pride in telling us about his friend who was the #1 recruit, his friend who was headed to Kentucky, and made the NBA. Because the athlete was truly involved at his school, he had a full school of people who were proud and cheering for him.
I'm a firm believer in including athletics and athletes in a school's vision for creating a well-rounded learning environment.
Sports and athletes should be acknowledged, recognized, celebrated, and shared to lift people/schools up.
Athleticism in any given sport is a beautiful and amazing talent, just like smarts, artwork, music, dance, debate etc.
If you've played ANYTHING, you know how awesome it is when someone is REALLY good!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:54 pm It's awesome to hear Poggi was getting good kids at Gilman. That matters. I love hearing when good athletes are fully involved and immersed in the school community. Unfortunately the UNC basketball scandal and old stereotypes have given student athletes bad names.
My son went to hs with 2 kids who made it to the NBA. Throughout high school my son had such pride in telling us about his friend who was the #1 recruit, his friend who was headed to Kentucky, and made the NBA. Because the athlete was truly involved at his school, he had a full school of people who were proud and cheering for him.
I'm a firm believer in including athletics and athletes in a school's vision for creating a well-rounded learning environment.
Sports and athletes should be acknowledged, recognized, celebrated, and shared to lift people/schools up.
Athleticism in any given sport is a beautiful and amazing talent, just like smarts, artwork, music, dance, debate etc.
If you've played ANYTHING, you know how awesome it is when someone is REALLY good!
Agreed.
The caveat is that I'm not sure the caliber was maintained when everything accelerated; certainly the sorts of schools the kids were moving on to were not as well thought of from an academic perspective. Doesn't make the kids not good kids...just that there was less 'fit' with the Gilman profile for some.

But all the kids who went on to NFL were quite solid youngsters.
And from what I've seen since, quite solid young men.
I suspect that Joe Ehrmann had a lot to do with that...

But later on the program grew too large, too much on Poggi's dime, and was crowding out too much of the rest of the school's program.

I hope that we can find the right balance again, as excellence across the board is certainly what Gilman tries to achieve.

BTW, Gilman was one of the very first schools in the country to include a robust sports program as part of its mission, right from its inception, back when school's sent kids home after their classes. Founded in 1897, it was the nation's first country day school.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Edge Lacrosse Canada all over the news these days.
Another Edge Lacrosse kid just committed. This time to Hopkins. And John Carroll just hired Braden Wallace out of Edge to a full time job and offensive coordinator position.
Slim

Post by Slim »

IMO, The A Conference is going to be strong top-to-bottom in 2023. All teams will be more competitive overall than years past. Look for big improvements from MSJ and JC. Spalding me down compared to the past two years but they won't be a doormat like some folks predict. Severn, SP, Gilman stock is rising. Cream of crop still remains BL (IMG North due to 10+ full-time boarders), McDonogh (senior transplants help big time), CHC (the best $ can buy). St. Mary's is the pride of AACO again.

Prognostications after watching the NHSLS closely;
1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

*The interesting piece moving forward will be how the league addresses the boarding situation at BL (10+ overall and 5-6 senior transplants). I would even offer that McD has ramped up; boarding recruitment to keep up with the Lake Ave school. I would argue that BL is on a trajectory similar to St. Frances in football. If I were a Baltimore-area family with boys, I'd seriously question whether to send a son to school and expect to play there throughout their high school career. How does the coach and school address the fact that the senior transfers replace student-athletes in their "farm system"? I know I'd be asking that question...
Talking to many alums recently, they are concerned and feel it is unsustainable. How are they going to feel when one of their boys gets bumped or benched from transfer from Georgia, Florida, Ohio, or California (not to mention the next wave of Canadians)? Interesting plot twist...
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Playing time is never guaranteed. 99% of coaches are going to play the better player. Life is not fair. If a kid transfers in and takes another kids spot because he is better then that's just the way it goes.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Slim wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm IMO, The A Conference is going to be strong top-to-bottom in 2023. All teams will be more competitive overall than years past. Look for big improvements from MSJ and JC. Spalding me down compared to the past two years but they won't be a doormat like some folks predict. Severn, SP, Gilman stock is rising. Cream of crop still remains BL (IMG North due to 10+ full-time boarders), McDonogh (senior transplants help big time), CHC (the best $ can buy). St. Mary's is the pride of AACO again.

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

*The interesting piece moving forward will be how the league addresses the boarding situation at BL (10+ overall and 5-6 senior transplants). I would even offer that McD has ramped up; boarding recruitment to keep up with the Lake Ave school. I would argue that BL is on a trajectory similar to St. Frances in football. If I were a Baltimore-area family with boys, I'd seriously question whether to send a son to school and expect to play there throughout their high school career. How does the coach and school address the fact that the senior transfers replace student-athletes in their "farm system"? I know I'd be asking that question...
Talking to many alums recently, they are concerned and feel it is unsustainable. How are they going to feel when one of their boys gets bumped or benched from transfer from Georgia, Florida, Ohio, or California (not to mention the next wave of Canadians)? Interesting plot twist...
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:12 am
Slim wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:48 pm IMO, The A Conference is going to be strong top-to-bottom in 2023. All teams will be more competitive overall than years past. Look for big improvements from MSJ and JC. Spalding me down compared to the past two years but they won't be a doormat like some folks predict. Severn, SP, Gilman stock is rising. Cream of crop still remains BL (IMG North due to 10+ full-time boarders), McDonogh (senior transplants help big time), CHC (the best $ can buy). St. Mary's is the pride of AACO again.

1. BL
2. McD
3. CHC
4. StM
5. StP
6. Severn
7. Loyola
8. Gilman
9. JC
10. MSJ
11. Spalding

2 team race McD and STM both teams will meet again in the finals.
Slim

Post by Slim »

Turnandrake,
BL has more talent than both combined...14 boarding and transfers. It very well could be a one dog race in reality.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Slim wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 10:14 am Turnandrake,
BL has more talent than both combined...14 boarding and transfers. It very well could be a one dog race in reality.
Every top school has picked up talent not exclusive to BL.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:13 am
I'd love to see a list of the "adds" for each school lax program of transfers, year over year.
Transfers in-league, B to A, from local publics, from distance, from out of state.

How many per class year?
Other than as freshmen, that's historically been one or two at most as sophs, maybe another one as a junior...normally zero as seniors...

Has this changed, materially, at all the schools...or a lot more at...which schools?

How much?
noonan5

Post by noonan5 »

I think it’s around 10 who are playing lax. Many were boarders last year and some locals choosing to board this year. 2-3 significant new additions to lax this year and some are boarders for other sports. Tentative roster is talented but no more than the combined aforementioned or some of the other MIAA teams. Still locally weighted, many having been students prior to HS. Long way to go before it can be compared to a Culver, IMG or the NE boarding schools that have been doing this literally for centuries.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:56 pm
I'd love to see a list of the "adds" for each school lax program of transfers, year over year.
Transfers in-league, B to A, from local publics, from distance, from out of state.

How many per class year?
Other than as freshmen, that's historically been one or two at most as sophs, maybe another one as a junior...normally zero as seniors...

Has this changed, materially, at all the schools...or a lot more at...which schools?

How much?
The landscape has changed in the conference.

Rosters can shift in just a year, nowadays. Conference transfer rules are defined. Somewhat strict on varsity athletes jumping around. So some programs are looking outside the MIAA. And in fairness, it's not always the program seeking out the kids. Many of these programs are getting national attention, so kids nationally, seek them out. But others make it easier for the kids, by having accommodations.

The definition of 'local' has also been expanded from how we knew it. "Local" can now mean within a 45-60 minute drive to and from a school. Seems odd for some of us to think of a kid that lives in places like Severna Park, Southern MD, Western MD would drive past some great schools to play lacrosse in the A conference. But it happens. Again- national attention.

Any distance further, and a kid's parent might get an apartment, or the kid stays with a friend of the program, assistant coach, or ... in a dorm. There were some kids who came from DC, Eastern Shore, FL, GA, SC, and CO in recent years. So I guess if there is a will, there is a way.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:02 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:56 pm

How many per class year?

How much?
The landscape has changed in the conference.

Rosters can shift in just a year, nowadays. Conference transfer rules are defined. Somewhat strict on varsity athletes jumping around. So some programs are looking outside the MIAA. And in fairness, it's not always the program seeking out the kids. Many of these programs are getting national attention, so kids nationally, seek them out. But others make it easier for the kids, by having accommodations.

The definition of 'local' has also been expanded from how we knew it. "Local" can now mean within a 45-60 minute drive to and from a school. Seems odd for some of us to think of a kid that lives in places like Severna Park, Southern MD, Western MD would drive past some great schools to play lacrosse in the A conference. But it happens. Again- national attention.

Any distance further, and a kid's parent might get an apartment, or the kid stays with a friend of the program, assistant coach, or ... in a dorm. There were some kids who came from DC, Eastern Shore, FL, GA, SC, and CO in recent years. So I guess if there is a will, there is a way.
Understood.
In fact, there's always been a bit of this, particularly the public school transfer as a sophomore or junior. Way back in 1976 when I was a senior, we picked up a junior, left-handed attack man at Gilman from Towson High. When the lefty HS AA attack man in my senior class was injured in a car accident that winter, the transfer picked up the slot as our third attack man, along with two other seniors (who were the #1 and #2 point scorers in the MSA that spring!)...there were other junior attack men, but Jeff Harris was pretty darn good ;) ...went on to be an AA at Hopkins and scored the winning goal against UVA in double OT for the Championship.

But that was one guy...everyone else came to that MSA Championship team as freshman or earlier.

As a junior, my son played for the 2011 MIAA Championship team, and I don't recall any of those boys having come to Gilman after freshman year. None in his class for sure, and I don't think any of the guys class ahead of him.

Even the football team (at that point) didn't have anyone come in after freshman year. (got a bit different subsequently.)

so, basically...rare, but not non-existent.

But that was a decade ago...

Thus my question as to numbers, and which schools have the most such happening in lacrosse....now.
Terps22

Post by Terps22 »

Thus my question as to numbers, and which schools have the most such happening in lacrosse....now.
Looks like BL and McDonogh are headed into a mini lax arm's race this Spring and beyond.

Don't count out Saint Mary's, they will be right there again in the thick of things with their very strong pipeline in AACO.

If Kelly wants to buy some players in the off-season, Calvert Hall can leapfrog some of these teams. The Cardinals seemed to have scaled back the aggressive recruiting but what do I know?

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”