Best returning players by position for 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: Best returning players by position for 2023

Post by Asgot »

smoova wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am
Jumbo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:13 am
smoova wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 12:29 pm
Slim wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 am Yup MVP, we can all thank the good ol NCAA for this lame-brain decision.
Bingo. Silly decision made unnecessarily early by a group of panicked administrators. Wound up being a long-term punishment for 2021-2023 grads who made the terrible mistake of being in high school during the COVID pandemic (which also cancelled their 2020 seasons). Just another example of a governing body doing far more harm than good when it tries to "right" an unfortunate "injustice."
I 100% agree with this. They aren’t really helping anyone. Every kid in college (except a small handful of schools) played about 1/2 schedule in 2020 and almost full schedule in 2021. Why give them 2 additional years. Meanwhile, anyone younger (HS/youth) still missed the entire 2020 season and if lucky, they got less than half of the 2021 season. Now those kids get in college and are playing against 23 and 24 year olds, and fighting for playing time with 5 additional classes instead of 3. I would be curious how many underclass are quitting after one or two years, as they see how upper class are staying 5 or 6 years and taking opportunities away from the younger ones. Luckily for my sons team, only 2 or 3 stayed the extra years this season. I think some schools have almost a full team or 5th and 6th years.
The NCAA's COVID flailing has certainly caused some fascinating situations at D3 schools. At my son's NESCAC, a majority of the team took a year off during COVID. As a result, the team's senior class this year is roughly twice the normal size. Unfortunately for those kids, there are a couple of additional dynamics at play:

1. Because the NCAA extended the DI dead period for ~18 months during COVID, DI coaches missed the chance to watch a large number of 2022 recruits play in person - particularly kids from non-hotbed areas who rely on summer/fall events to get exposure. Since the dead period did not apply to D3s, NESCAC coaches took full advantage of the situation by scooping up players who, in a normal year, would have committed to DIs before the NESCAC coaches could even get a pre-read. Many of those players later received DI offers, and a few flipped, but most honored their original commitment. As a result, the freshman class at several NESCACs (and I assume other top D3s) is unusually strong this year. One simple example: in a normal year, my kid's coach lands 2-3 HS AAs ... his 2022 class had 5.

2. Since foreign travel was so wonky in 2020 and 2021, many hold-back juniors/seniors waited until this fall to do a semester abroad and, consequently, missed all team activities. Some kids work hard on fitness/skills while they are away from campus and some are more easily distracted.

I don't know how this all plays out - perhaps the talent rush results in older players losing playing time, perhaps (as you noted above) the log-jam frustrates younger players into quitting - but the NCAA's ham-handed attempt at social engineering sure did create one hell of a mess for everyone.
I think many of these are fair points but I would also add that the 2021 class was one of the most under-evaluated groups in a while since they lost their junior year and that summer was played on a catch as catch can basis, with tournaments getting canceled at the last minute and coaches doing those evals through Hudl

Unfortunately, this does not end until the spring of 2025 as kids graduating in the 2023 class will have the ability to take 2 extra years and the 2024 class will be eligible for an extra year but the 2025 class reverts back to something closer to normal. But that means that players recruited in the 2021 HS class spend their entire career dealing with players with extra years.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Asgot wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 9:24 am
smoova wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:38 am
Jumbo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:13 am
Slim wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:57 am Yup MVP, we can all thank the good ol NCAA for this lame-brain decision.
Bingo. Silly decision made unnecessarily early by a group of panicked administrators. Wound up being a long-term punishment for 2021-2023 grads who made the terrible mistake of being in high school during the COVID pandemic (which also cancelled their 2020 seasons). Just another example of a governing body doing far more harm than good when it tries to "right" an unfortunate "injustice."
I 100% agree with this. They aren’t really helping anyone. Every kid in college (except a small handful of schools) played about 1/2 schedule in 2020 and almost full schedule in 2021. Why give them 2 additional years. Meanwhile, anyone younger (HS/youth) still missed the entire 2020 season and if lucky, they got less than half of the 2021 season. Now those kids get in college and are playing against 23 and 24 year olds, and fighting for playing time with 5 additional classes instead of 3. I would be curious how many underclass are quitting after one or two years, as they see how upper class are staying 5 or 6 years and taking opportunities away from the younger ones. Luckily for my sons team, only 2 or 3 stayed the extra years this season. I think some schools have almost a full team or 5th and 6th years.
The NCAA's COVID flailing has certainly caused some fascinating situations at D3 schools. At my son's NESCAC, a majority of the team took a year off during COVID. As a result, the team's senior class this year is roughly twice the normal size. Unfortunately for those kids, there are a couple of additional dynamics at play:

1. Because the NCAA extended the DI dead period for ~18 months during COVID, DI coaches missed the chance to watch a large number of 2022 recruits play in person - particularly kids from non-hotbed areas who rely on summer/fall events to get exposure. Since the dead period did not apply to D3s, NESCAC coaches took full advantage of the situation by scooping up players who, in a normal year, would have committed to DIs before the NESCAC coaches could even get a pre-read. Many of those players later received DI offers, and a few flipped, but most honored their original commitment. As a result, the freshman class at several NESCACs (and I assume other top D3s) is unusually strong this year. One simple example: in a normal year, my kid's coach lands 2-3 HS AAs ... his 2022 class had 5.

2. Since foreign travel was so wonky in 2020 and 2021, many hold-back juniors/seniors waited until this fall to do a semester abroad and, consequently, missed all team activities. Some kids work hard on fitness/skills while they are away from campus and some are more easily distracted.

I don't know how this all plays out - perhaps the talent rush results in older players losing playing time, perhaps (as you noted above) the log-jam frustrates younger players into quitting - but the NCAA's ham-handed attempt at social engineering sure did create one hell of a mess for everyone.
I think many of these are fair points but I would also add that the 2021 class was one of the most under-evaluated groups in a while since they lost their junior year and that summer was played on a catch as catch can basis, with tournaments getting canceled at the last minute and coaches doing those evals through Hudl

Unfortunately, this does not end until the spring of 2025 as kids graduating in the 2023 class will have the ability to take 2 extra years and the 2024 class will be eligible for an extra year but the 2025 class reverts back to something closer to normal. But that means that players recruited in the 2021 HS class spend their entire career dealing with players with extra years.
22 HS class was hit as hard, or possibly even harder. Class of 21 was evaluated by D1 coaches and upper level D3 the summer of 2019. They committed fall 2019. Spring 2020 covid hits and shuts everything down. D1 coaches never got to see the 22 class until late summer of 2021. By this time, many of those 22 kids have committed to D3. The other issue for 22 kids was that coaches didn’t know how many existing players would stay, so they had no idea how many 22’s to committ. My son graduated in 22, by the time D1 coaches started contacting him late summer 21, he was already on final decision mode with D3 schools because those coaches had been coming to games since fall 2020. Now, he wasn’t a top 100 kid, so he wouldn’t have been noticed early anyway. D1 coaches had already seen those top kids the previous summer. The other way 22 kids were screwed. Many committed to those D1 schools without ever going to visit campus, or meeting coaches in person. I hope it works out for them.
Either way, HS classes of 20,21, and 22 got screwed in so many ways with covid. And were hurt harder than any other group, and now the NCAA seems to be hurting them more.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Jumbo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am 22 HS class was hit as hard, or possibly even harder. Class of 21 was evaluated by D1 coaches and upper level D3 the summer of 2019. They committed fall 2019. Spring 2020 covid hits and shuts everything down. D1 coaches never got to see the 22 class until late summer of 2021. By this time, many of those 22 kids have committed to D3. The other issue for 22 kids was that coaches didn’t know how many existing players would stay, so they had no idea how many 22’s to committ. My son graduated in 22, by the time D1 coaches started contacting him late summer 21, he was already on final decision mode with D3 schools because those coaches had been coming to games since fall 2020. Now, he wasn’t a top 100 kid, so he wouldn’t have been noticed early anyway. D1 coaches had already seen those top kids the previous summer. The other way 22 kids were screwed. Many committed to those D1 schools without ever going to visit campus, or meeting coaches in person. I hope it works out for them.
Either way, HS classes of 20,21, and 22 got screwed in so many ways with covid. And were hurt harder than any other group, and now the NCAA seems to be hurting them more.
This aligns exactly with my experience.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

smoova wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:55 am
Jumbo wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:05 am 22 HS class was hit as hard, or possibly even harder. Class of 21 was evaluated by D1 coaches and upper level D3 the summer of 2019. They committed fall 2019. Spring 2020 covid hits and shuts everything down. D1 coaches never got to see the 22 class until late summer of 2021. By this time, many of those 22 kids have committed to D3. The other issue for 22 kids was that coaches didn’t know how many existing players would stay, so they had no idea how many 22’s to committ. My son graduated in 22, by the time D1 coaches started contacting him late summer 21, he was already on final decision mode with D3 schools because those coaches had been coming to games since fall 2020. Now, he wasn’t a top 100 kid, so he wouldn’t have been noticed early anyway. D1 coaches had already seen those top kids the previous summer. The other way 22 kids were screwed. Many committed to those D1 schools without ever going to visit campus, or meeting coaches in person. I hope it works out for them.
Ok, I am not disputing and arguing that one was worse than the other. I do think that these classes are in a sort of college purgatory until all of the extra years kids leave. I will agree in part that my son (a 2021) had a very good summer in 2019 as well as a great fall and had begun to get some good D1 interest, but that momentum faded with the cancellation of the 2020 season (where he would have been the full-time starter) and the disruptive 2020 summer. If you were not done wth your recruiting in the fall of 2019 the process became disjointed. Even after an all-American senior season, he was kind of on the outside looking in. So as you see we share some of the same frustrations.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Asgot wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 12:12 pm
Ok, I am not disputing and arguing that one was worse than the other. I do think that these classes are in a sort of college purgatory until all of the extra years kids leave. I will agree in part that my son (a 2021) had a very good summer in 2019 as well as a great fall and had begun to get some good D1 interest, but that momentum faded with the cancellation of the 2020 season (where he would have been the full-time starter) and the disruptive 2020 summer. If you were not done wth your recruiting in the fall of 2019 the process became disjointed. Even after an all-American senior season, he was kind of on the outside looking in. So as you see we share some of the same frustrations.
Very fair points - the 2021's who weren't committed by January 2020 were largely forgotten by DI coaches and, as a reward, they spend their entire college careers on rosters stuffed with grad students and "super seniors."

Man do I hate the NCAA.
lax410

Post by lax410 »

Yes 100%. I’m hoping that the silver lining is that these classes will have some great years at the D3 level. Definitely an opportunity to raise the level of play given the ‘21 and ‘22 talent at this level.
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

The extra year(s) of eligibility are really tough to square on a few fronts. It's completely screwed some younger student athletes who will never have the chance to fight for playing time due to the extended careers of players ahead of them - tough to justify these younger players staying for an additional year when you've never played in the first place. Also, it has created a complete competition imbalance throughout the D3 landscape in my opinion. For the most part, the out of conference games are really hard to view without a bit of an asterisk. Schools playing with a multitude of 5th and 6th year players and trying to compare those teams against schools who don't offer that option and are playing with "true" seniors and 4 year student athletes. In conference this issue almost always equals out due to similar schools in conferences but even then there are disparities. Again, as many have stated, I am not laying this at the feet of any player or school who is taking full advantage of the rules but it's just a little difficult as a fan/viewer.
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 1:43 pm The extra year(s) of eligibility are really tough to square on a few fronts. It's completely screwed some younger student athletes who will never have the chance to fight for playing time due to the extended careers of players ahead of them - tough to justify these younger players staying for an additional year when you've never played in the first place. Also, it has created a complete competition imbalance throughout the D3 landscape in my opinion. For the most part, the out of conference games are really hard to view without a bit of an asterisk. Schools playing with a multitude of 5th and 6th year players and trying to compare those teams against schools who don't offer that option and are playing with "true" seniors and 4 year student athletes. In conference this issue almost always equals out due to similar schools in conferences but even then there are disparities. Again, as many have stated, I am not laying this at the feet of any player or school who is taking full advantage of the rules but it's just a little difficult as a fan/viewer.
Downhill Dodger

Post by Downhill Dodger »

Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:52 pm I'm all for guys getting their fifth year of eligibility, but a sixth year of eligibility is a little absurd. 25/24 Year old's playing against kids straight out of high school just doesn't sound right..

It's crazy, I know of a high-caliber player, who played 5 years for a very good team. He got hurt his freshman year and was out for the season and had the canceled Covid year, but he participated in 5 full years of college lacrosse. He received both his BS and his masters in those 5 years, but still had 2 years of eligibility (redshirt year+ extra covid year) remaining. Went to work at a great job in finance and was still getting messaged by coaches this year if he wanted to start a new master's program and play this spring, the kid was smart and said I need to get on with my life.

Some kids have had over a decade since they first started talking to a college coach in recruiting
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

US Lacrosse Pre-Season All Americans in Jan. Magazine:

Attack:
Jack Boyden - Tufts
Will Byrne - Bowdoin
Luke Pilcher - RIT

Middies:
Coby Auslander - CNU
Jack Dowd - Salisbury
Riley Mitchell - Lynchburg

Defense:
Kyle Adelmann - Tufts
Mike Grace - RIT
Ryan Young - CNUI

Goalie:
Seamus Fagan - Hamilton

SSDM:
Jack Titus - Union

FO:
Ethan Barnard - Bowdoin

LSM:
John Defazio - Salisbury
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Yeti_33 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:25 pm [quote=Slim post_id=416000 time=<a href="tel:1670000227">1670000227</a> user_id=1553]
He's baaaaack! Year 6! :D
I'm confused... How is that possible? Wouldn't 2022 have been his extra Covid year?
[/quote]

I believe that Cross will be playing as a middie for the 2023 season.
CTLaxFan15

Post by CTLaxFan15 »

Here are my quick picks for each position as the season approaches

Attack
Luke Pilcher - RIT

Middie
Coby Auslander - CNU

SSDM
Joe Murtha - Tufts

FOGO
Ethan Barnard - Bowdoin

D
Joe Scarfi - St Lawrence

LSM
Ethan Greene - York

Goalie
Seamus Fagan - Hamilton
ah23

Post by ah23 »

Slim wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:57 am He's baaaaack! Year 6! :D
What a joke.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

ah23 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:24 pm
Slim wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 11:57 am He's baaaaack! Year 6! :D
What a joke.
Playing since the 2018 season. Now with 84 games under his belt with 73 starts. He will tack on another 17 games in the regular season to hit 101. There’s sure to be an NCAA bid as well. I’d think this has to be some sort of D3 record for most games played. 6 years of college only Delta Tau Chi members had longer college careers
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

While I agree on your premise re: NC$$, you are skipping the 2020 class which missed their Senior HS season then play their entire college career on bloated rosters of 5th & 6th year players (without getting a 5th year themselves).

Law of unintended consequences
Last edited by NElaxtalent on Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

NElaxtalent wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:56 am
While I agree on your premise re: NC$$, you are skipping the 2020 class which missed their Senior HS season then play their entire college career on bloated rosters of 5th & 6th year players (without getting a 5th year themselves).
Are these kids getting scholarships or grants? My kid has had 1 full season (in three), but I'm not gonna pay for him to stick around and play more D3 lacrosse. He ain't going pro. Time to move on with life...
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

UpperCorner22 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:02 am
Are these kids getting scholarships or grants? My kid has had 1 full season (in three), but I'm not gonna pay for him to stick around and play more D3 lacrosse. He ain't going pro. Time to move on with life...
Lots of scenarios, grad school, transfers, semester abroad, personal/family/financial issues, eligibility issues, 3-2 programs, lost credits when switch majors or transferring, etc etc
2laxers

Post by 2laxers »

2020s get an extra year due to the 2021 season in D3 not counting for eligibility. They are the last class to have an extra year.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

2laxers wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:11 am

2020s get an extra year due to the 2021 season in D3 not counting for eligibility. They are the last class to have an extra year.
But not if they were/are D1 for 2021 season. Quirks everywhere...

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”